Sporting News on Boldin negotiations

BigDavis75

Making a Comeback
Reaction score
anytimeuwnt said:
I disagree with Andre J, Darrell (Hands of Stone) Jackson, Hines Ward, & Javon Walker. And to a lesser extent, Fitz. Anquan is, IMHO, the superior player from an atletisism (sp?), and Desire standpoint.

Fitz is fine wine, Anquan is the best beer in the world. Hard to pick between either. I just seem to like the blood & guts type of guys.

Hines is probably the best in the NFL, so I don't really see how Boldin is better than he is. Also Jackson seems to have cured his dropsies (I know he has played very little this year), and A Johnson is a beast, on any other team he would be a star and a consistent 1200/10 guy.

Crazy Canuck

ASFN Icon
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
BigDavis75 said:
Hines is probably the best in the NFL, so I don't really see how Boldin is better than he is. Also Jackson seems to have cured his dropsies (I know he has played very little this year), and A Johnson is a beast, on any other team he would be a star and a consistent 1200/10 guy.

HINES - 11 games - 56 - 792 - 14.1

Quan - 10 games - 68 - 992 - 14.6

BigDavis75

Making a Comeback
Reaction score
Crazy Canuck said:
HINES - 11 games - 56 - 792 - 14.1

Quan - 10 games - 68 - 992 - 14.6

Look up the TD stats, which is what really matters for a WR. Also, include the fact that Hines is the best blocking WR in the NFL.

Brian

PANEM ET CIRCENSES
Reaction score
BigDavis75 said:
Look up the TD stats, which is what really matters for a WR. Also, include the fact that Hines is the best blocking WR in the NFL.

WHAT?!?!

Sorry, but it is NOT what really matters for a WR. Sure, it DOES matter, but a team can't even sniff the endzone unless they can get there.

As to your other point, I think the discussion is pointless. When it comes to intensity and to how they play the game Q and Hines are clones. They both absolutely BULLDOZE corners when they are blocking. Q has often reminded me of Hines when he is blocking and vice-versa.

Crazy Canuck

ASFN Icon
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
HarleyRider said:
WHAT?!?!

Sorry, but it is NOT what really matters for a WR. Sure, it DOES matter, but a team can't even sniff the endzone unless they can get there.

As to your other point, I think the discussion is pointless. When it comes to intensity and to how they play the game Q and Hines are clones. They both absolutely BULLDOZE corners when they are blocking. Q has often reminded me of Hines when he is blocking and vice-versa.

Thank you... :thumbup:

CardinalLaw

Reaction score
BigDavis75 said:
Does Boldin forget how to catch in the endzone. No. Hines ward is not that much better then Boldin blocking. If Ward is number 1 in it, Boldin is a close second. Boldin not getting thrown to in the the endzone is his only negative on TD's. Kurt for whatever reason still doesn't throw it to either him or Fitz. He still trys to out smart guys throwing it to Johnson, or Bergen. Which more then half the time they both drop it. Bergen is a rookie so I exuse him this year. Johnson has no exuse. I think whenever we get into the redzone it should be thrown to Fitz and Boldin once. Ran once then, kicked if need be.

BigDavis75

Making a Comeback
Reaction score
Crazy Canuck said:
Thank you... :thumbup:

Boldin has 5 TDs, while Hines has 9. Pretty big difference there! Anyone who is not a complete homer for the Cardinals would take Hines over Boldin any day. Does anyone really think Boldin is better than Hines?

BigDavis75

Making a Comeback
Reaction score
CardinalLaw said:
Does Boldin forget how to catch in the endzone. No. Hines ward is not that much better then Boldin blocking. If Ward is number 1 in it, Boldin is a close second. Boldin not getting thrown to in the the endzone is his only negative on TD's. Kurt for whatever reason still doesn't throw it to either him or Fitz. He still trys to out smart guys throwing it to Johnson, or Bergen. Which more then half the time they both drop it. Bergen is a rookie so I exuse him this year. Johnson has no exuse. I think whenever we get into the redzone it should be thrown to Fitz and Boldin once. Ran once then, kicked if need be.

Maybe Boldin just isn't open. Also, Boldin is a good blocker, but is by no means better than guys like Mushin and Rod Smith.

Brian

PANEM ET CIRCENSES
Reaction score
BigDavis75 said:
Boldin has 5 TDs, while Hines has 9. Pretty big difference there! Anyone who is not a complete homer for the Cardinals would take Hines over Boldin any day. Does anyone really think Boldin is better than Hines?

I think they are the same.

I do NOT think Hines is better than Q. I am eternally grateful that Q wears a Cardinal uniform and will for years to come.

Would I trade Q for Hines? No. We already have Hines except his uniform says "Boldin" on the back.

Crazy Canuck

ASFN Icon
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
BigDavis75 said:

How old is Hines ? How old is Boldin ?

Good enough answer for you?

BigDavis75

Making a Comeback
Reaction score
Crazy Canuck said:
How old is Hines ? How old is Boldin ?

Good enough answer for you?

Too bad the question is who is better right now. The answer is Hines, good enough answer for you?

Brian

PANEM ET CIRCENSES
Reaction score
BigDavis75 said:
Maybe Boldin just isn't open. Also, Boldin is a good blocker, but is by no means better than guys like Mushin and Rod Smith.

That is absolute horse-****.

Boldin DEMOLISHES corners when he is blocking. I don't know what other cliche to use. Have you not watched some of the bulldozing Q does to corners?

BigDavis75

Making a Comeback
Reaction score
HarleyRider said:
That is absolute horse-****.

Boldin DEMOLISHES corners when he is blocking. I don't know what other cliche to use. Have you not watched some of the bulldozing Q does to corners?

Oh I have he also whiffs occasionally, Mushin and Smith don't. They also get their guy, albeit not in the highlight way that Boldin does.

Brian

PANEM ET CIRCENSES
Reaction score
BigDavis75 said:
Oh I have he also whiffs occasionally, Mushin and Smith don't. They also get their guy, albeit not in the highlight way that Boldin does.

I'll have to take your word on that. I watched Mushin alot when he was at Carolina but I can honestly say I don't "analyze" Broncos games so I don't know about Rod Smith's blocking ability.

My point was just that no reciever can bury a corner any more than Q does without actually using some kind of heavy equipment. There is NO doubt in my mind that Q loves doing that, and that he has fun with it.

Crazy Canuck

ASFN Icon
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
BigDavis75 said:
Too bad the question is who is better right now. The answer is Hines, good enough answer for you?

So you keep saying.

Run a poll on this site as to whether we should trade Boldin for Ward straight up.

P.S. I like Hines Ward and watch the Steelers at every opportunity. If Boldin didn't in fact exist, I'd be saying: "Wouldn't it be great to have Hines Ward." Luckily, I don't have too. I've got the guy who's first to reach 200 catches in the HISTORY OF THE NFL. He's got moves, blocks well, and he's more of a load to stop than Hines. With the possible exception of die-hard Pitt homers, the league envies the Cards.

Diamondback Jay

Psalms 23:1
Reaction score
kerouac9 said:
For what it's worth, I still think there are 8-10 guys that I'd rather have than Anquan:

1. Chad Johnson
2. Randy Moss
3. Terrell Owens
4. Steve Smith
5. Torry Holt
6. Hines Ward
7. Darrell Jackson
8. Javon Walker (healthy)
9. Andre Johnson
10. Larry Fitzgerald

Well, first we have Fitzgerald therefore he's exempt from the list :biglaugh: )just giving you a rough time, no hard feelings.)

Now as for the list, you have some good names on there, but I'd like to know what intangibles you look for in a #2. Just for friendly debate, what's your checklist consist of?

My checklist consists of this when evaluating the WR

-- Hands
-- Speed/Game Breaking Ability
-- Mentality and willingness to be a team player (willingness to be double teamed and not get as many catches for the good of the team)
-- Overall impact on team's success
-- Productive Period

In this, I'd rank Boldin ahead of Jackson. Whereas DJ is more likely to break the long one, his pass catching skills still are growing. I'd also take him over Javon based on the fact that prior to 2004, he was adequate but not in the Top 10.

With this, my top 10 is..

1. Marvin Harrison
2. Chad Johnson
3. Randy Moss
4. Terrell Owens
5. Torry Holt
6. Hines Ward
7. Anquan Boldin
8. Larry Fitzgerald
9. Darrell Jackson
10. David Boston......

:lol: No seriously, my 10 would be Chris Chambers.

BigDavis75

Making a Comeback
Reaction score
Crazy Canuck said:
So you keep saying.

Run a poll on this site as to whether we should trade Boldin for Ward straight up.

P.S. I like Hines Ward and watch the Steelers at every opportunity. If Boldin didn't in fact exist, I'd be saying: "Wouldn't it be great to have Hines Ward." Luckily, I don't have too. I've got the guy who's first to reach 200 catches in the HISTORY OF THE NFL. He's got moves, blocks well, and he's more of a load to stop than Hines. With the possible exception of die-hard Pitt homers, the league envies the Cards.

You missed the point again. Maybe I should start a poll asking who is better. I wouldn't trade Hines for Q, but Ward is certainly better. Give me the word and I'll start the poll.

Diamondback Jay

Reaction score
Crazy Canuck said:

Take Ward off the Steelers and they're a 2-3 win team. He's the gas that makes that car run.

Boldin's been great, but he's not on Ward's level.. YET.

BigDavis75

Making a Comeback
Reaction score
Snake said:
Take Ward off the Steelers and they're a 2-3 win team. He's the gas that makes that car run.

Boldin's been great, but he's not on Ward's level.. YET.

I wouldn't go that far but Ward is better than Boldin.

Diamondback Jay

Reaction score
BigDavis75 said:
I wouldn't go that far but Ward is better than Boldin.

I would. Bettis is past his prime, Staley's at best a platoon back, and Parker's good against the lousy run defenses but against some of the better ds, he's shut down quickly.

At WR, Randle El's Desmond Howard with slightly better hands and minus the Heisman, and Cedric Wilson mediocrity at it's finest.

Ward IS the Steeler offense. Heath Miller is coming to his own quickly and has provided a nice second option, but otherwise the offense without Ward is garbage.

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
Snake said:
, but I'd like to know what intangibles you look for in a #2. Just for friendly debate, what's your checklist consist of?

My checklist consists of this when evaluating the WR

-- Hands
-- Speed/Game Breaking Ability
-- Mentality and willingness to be a team player (willingness to be double teamed and not get as many catches for the good of the team)
-- Overall impact on team's success
-- Productive Period

With this, my top 10 is..

1. Marvin Harrison
2. Chad Johnson
3. Randy Moss
4. Terrell Owens
5. Torry Holt
6. Hines Ward
7. Anquan Boldin
8. Larry Fitzgerald
9. Darrell Jackson
10. Chris Chambers.

My list for a #2 is very much like yours. That's why I think that Anquan is a GREAT #2 WR, but if you're depending on him to be a #1, you end up like what the Cards had in 2003: one guy with great stats, but picking #3 overall in the draft because that guy can't string together great games. Fitz has speed and body control that forces DCs to game-plan to stop him. Anquan breaks tackles, but isn't a red-zone threat like Fitz, and if you just keep getting him 5-yard slants (which is the route he's most effective on), you're going to end up throwing a lot of picks once corners start jumping the route, you're going to get into a lot of third-and-longs, and you're going to break your WR because he's getting punished by LBs and SSs all game long.

I'm amused that the NFL leader in yardage, receptions, and TDs doesn't make your list of Top 10 WRs. No room for Steve Smith? With PI being called the way it is today, there's more room for little guys like Smith and Santana Moss to make big plays and threaten defenses on the outside, instead of in the slot where they would have been stuck in the past. And I like Andre Johnson. I think that he has the passion and all the tools to be the best WR in the NFL, but he's stuck in Houston where no one sees him and his QB never has time to get him the ball. The only time David Carr wasn't sacked 60+ times, Johnson put up 1142 yards.

For all the crap I'm getting about having T.O. on my list, he's been out of football for the past month or so, and is still #21 on the receiving yards list for the NFL and has one more TD than Anquan Boldin. In 7 games, T.O. posted 47 receptions for 763 yards and 6 TDs. That's ridiculous.

Redsz

We do this together
Reaction score
The engine of the Steelers is the running game and play action. Cowher tried to base his game plan more around the pass with Ward, Burress and Randel El and it failed.

The difference between Q and Ward is that Q (along with Fitz) are THE offense here. PIT will run the ball 30+ times a game to set up about 15 passes. While we will throw the ball 30+ times a game to set up about 15 runs a game.

However, both Q and Ward are clones of each other. Both are great blockers, have great hands and can make game breaking plays. But I haven't seen Ward beat about 6 defenders at once to score.