Spurs vs. Suns Playoffs 08

jag7211

Reaction score
I really hope this happens, this is already the biggest rilvalry in the NBA.

i think it would put to rest a lot of the talk that went on during their series ....

HooverDam

Reaction score
'05 was "A New Hope" for the NBA, the Suns brought run, gun and fun to the league but ultimately couldn't knock off the evil empire.

'07 was "The Empire Strikes Back", the Evil Empire grew even stronger, resulting to dirty tactics and knocked off the fun rebels.

'08 will be "The Return of the Jedi" when the good guys/rebels knock off the evil empire for good and all will be right in the galaxy :D

OP
OP
J

jag7211

Reaction score
........ya, well either way, that would be one HELL of a series!

dodie53

A. O. II
Reaction score
'05 was "A New Hope" for the NBA, the Suns brought run, gun and fun to the league but ultimately couldn't knock off the evil empire.

'07 was "The Empire Strikes Back", the Evil Empire grew even stronger, resulting to dirty tactics and knocked off the fun rebels.

'08 will be "The Return of the Jedi" when the good guys/rebels knock off the evil empire for good and all will be right in the galaxy :D

nice..

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score

But Luke blew up the DeathStar in a New Hope. Woudln't you score that 1 for the good guys?

DeAnna

Just A Face in The Crowd
Reaction score
Mav fans will probably beg to differ. They think their rivalry with the Spurs is bigger (remember, they actually beat the Spurs in the playoffs last year).

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score

dude, you're not doing suns fans a service by painting us all as a bunch of star wars geeks. at least you didn't use star trek or lord of the rings analogies . . .

HooverDam

Reaction score
dude, you're not doing suns fans a service by painting us all as a bunch of star wars geeks. at least you didn't use star trek or lord of the rings analogies . . .

You can go back to Communist Russia if you don't like Star Wars!

But Luke blew up the DeathStar in a New Hope. Woudln't you score that 1 for the good guys?

The ending of "A New Hope" is kind of weird, it seems to end on an up note w/ the destruction of the Death Star. Perhaps this was in case Lucas could only make the one film it would seem as if the good guys won, but as we know from the entire trilogy, blowing up the Death Star didn't really do didly to the Empire at large (though it did show the rebels were a serious force to be reckoned with, just like the 05 season for Phoenix). The basic arc of the three films is classic 3 act structure, it establishes along routed problem, presents the audience with hope, lets that hope achieve a small victory only to be crushed, and finally in the third act that hope succeeds.

Mav fans will probably beg to differ. They think their rivalry with the Spurs is bigger (remember, they actually beat the Spurs in the playoffs last year).

I might be inclined to agree with them, especially since they have the geographical proximity. To me, the Lakers are the Suns biggest rivals by a long shot because of decades of games, being in the same division, close geographic proximity, etc.

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The ending of "A New Hope" is kind of weird, it seems to end on an up note w/ the destruction of the Death Star. Perhaps this was in case Lucas could only make the one film it would seem as if the good guys won, but as we know from the entire trilogy, blowing up the Death Star didn't really do didly to the Empire at large (though it did show the rebels were a serious force to be reckoned with, just like the 05 season for Phoenix). The basic arc of the three films is classic 3 act structure, it establishes along routed problem, presents the audience with hope, lets that hope achieve a small victory only to be crushed, and finally in the third act that hope succeeds.

At the time though, Lucas didn't know that all 3 would be produced. Still have to score "A New Hope" for the good guys. They won the battle.

az1965

Love Games!
Reaction score
I would like a rematch with Spurs next year in semis or finals... Hoping and praying that we are fully healthy and entire team is available for entire series.

NDNACE

Rookie
Reaction score
We would have no chance against the Spurs because of Spurs Superfan David Stern and his personal henchman, Robert Horry.

mcgophers

Reaction score

I actually like that analogy. Haven't seen those movies in a long time.

azirish

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
I was rather hoping for some content in this thread. :p

Early in the year the Spurs did not look good - old and slow. Obviously they picked things up, but they remain an older team with only Parker a "young" player. This year their experience outweighed their age, but it is not clear how long that will last. The Suns have some older players as well, but the Spurs players are older and there are more of them.

In matching up with the Spurs, the Suns have to find a way to control Duncan without double teams and to keep Parker out of the paint without laying off him for open jumpers.

Strike

Rookie
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score

In "Star Wars", not "A New Hope" (Any person who saw the movies the first time will tell you that), the rebels destroyed the newest, biggest, most powerful and most intimidating weapon the empire ever created, causing a MAJOR blow to the empire and effectively causing the empire to take notice and send the ENTIRE imperial fleet after them.
Tell me, how does Phoenix getting OWNED by San Antonio in '05 compare to that?

:jedi:

Basketball is not Star Wars, and Steve Nash in not Luke Skywalker. Maybe the whiny Luke from "Star Wars" and "Empire", but eventually, unlike Nash, Luke Skywalker grew up.

Strike

Rookie
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
We would have no chance against the Spurs because of Spurs Superfan David Stern and his personal henchman, Robert Horry.

Dude quit your whining. If you think that the league has ANYTHING to gain by San Antonio being in the finals over Phoenix, you are ********, high or both.

Don't blame Horry for doing what old school players do. Blame your players for being stupid and breaking a clear and well known rule.

I expect Phoenix to do something to specifically focus on beating the Spurs next year. The Spurs will be ready for it.

Strike

Rookie
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Been a Spurs fan for 18 years. But I follow the Blazers because they're the home team.

But I'm a Spurs fan first and foremost.

Latest posts

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dbacks05