State of the Suns forum

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I originally posted this in the smack shack expecting it not to be received well but it has been so I will address it here

I am long time reader of this site and check the message board more or less for news and I have to say the way the suns board is right now is pathetic.

1. When posting in a thread can't we stay on topic instead of accusing everyone of trolling or not knowing enough about basketball or the suns. We are all here because we have an interest in the suns whether we are fans or not.

2. There IS and ALWAYS will be fans of other teams that post here and the majority of them do make quality contributions to discussions and are open to debating their point of view. Just because someone likes another team doesnt mean they are evil and shouldn't be allowed to post thoughts as long as they semi-intelligent.

3. Quit fueling nonsense. If someone is cleary an idiot craving attention or trying to act as an all knowing resource just let them tire themselves out they will leave eventually or get banned.

More than anything I would like to see quality subjects debated and discussed the way they once were not too long ago...

YouJustGotSUNSD

Custom User Title!
Reaction score
Whether you're right or not, I don't see the point of adding to the complaining with announcing your own rules at people.

Yuma

Suns are my Kryptonite!
Reaction score
I originally posted this in the smack shack expecting it not to be received well but it has been so I will address it here

I am long time reader of this site and check the message board more or less for news and I have to say the way the suns board is right now is pathetic.

1. When posting in a thread can't we stay on topic instead of accusing everyone of trolling or not knowing enough about basketball or the suns. We are all here because we have an interest in the suns whether we are fans or not.

Being called an idiot by Chaplin or Elindholm is a part of this board that is tradition! Getting smaked here for saying something stupid is the character of the board. At least it's not like ESPN sites where people go back and forth for fifty posts just calling each other names. Ususally you get a reason why you are supposedly wrong on this board.

2. There IS and ALWAYS will be fans of other teams that post here and the majority of them do make quality contributions to discussions and are open to debating their point of view. Just because someone likes another team doesnt mean they are evil and shouldn't be allowed to post thoughts as long as they semi-intelligent.

That's true, except when they come in just to say things like "You guys suck, and we rule" type of posts. Usually these posters have no valid analysis or insights in their posts. We treat guys from other teams that have quality insights just like anyone else on the board, and there are a few guys from other teams that post here regularly.

3. Quit fueling nonsense. If someone is cleary an idiot craving attention or trying to act as an all knowing resource just let them tire themselves out they will leave eventually or get banned.

More than anything I would like to see quality subjects debated and discussed the way they once were not too long ago...

That fueling nonsense is usually people wanting just what you want, quality subjects debated and discussed, but the idiots are getting in the way and the group is telling them to shut up or grow a brain.

With an open board, you take the good with the bad. Close the site and make it a pay site and then you can control the debate and quality. As long as it's open, there will be stupid posts. For whatever reason, it seems to have gotten worse when we traded for Shaq. That's what old timers are complaining about.

nowagimp

Reaction score

You cant complain about what you dont contribute to. If you want intelligent discussion, contribute something. Moaning about the quality of something you can, but dont contribute to is worse than contributing lousy posts. And it appears that you have spent more energy defending "other" fans (perhaps like you), than you have to substantial basketball discussion.

OP
OP
Hoop Head

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
You cant complain about what you dont contribute to. If you want intelligent discussion, contribute something. Moaning about the quality of something you can, but dont contribute to is worse than contributing lousy posts.

Alot of the long time posters here already have the chance to voice an opinion that is close enough to my thoughts that I am not going to pad the thread with stupid " I agree " posts because that I believe contributes less

And it appears that you have spent more energy defending "other" fans (perhaps like you), than you have to substantial basketball discussion.

I have been a suns fan for over 20 years and every year I back them reguardless, no matter how questionable the moves they make or dont make are. ( i.e. Marbury-Kidd trade, KT traded for nothing, always selling draft picks ) There is nothing more annoying on this board these days than someone such as you questioning how much of a fan someone else is. Does is make you feel better to get into an unwinnable internet pissing contest about how much of a fan of the suns someone is, when it is really unmeasurable ?

devilalum

Heavily Redacted
Reaction score

I've been doing this for a while and I've noticed that the board always settles back down after these big events. The same thing happened last year after we lost to the Spurs. There was a lot of immature posting and arguing but it went away after a couple of weeks. I predict the same thing will happen again. People that are just looking for trouble usually get bored and move on.

BeeBeard

Throw some Bees on that.
Reaction score
People that are just looking for trouble usually get bored and move on.

You're right, I myself have learned that it's best not to even bother with those people. I discovered the "ignore" feature the other day, and it changed my life! Now if I could only somehow add the wife to the list...
;)

nowagimp

Reaction score
There is nothing more annoying on this board these days than someone such as you questioning how much of a fan someone else is. Does is make you feel better to get into an unwinnable internet pissing contest about how much of a fan of the suns someone is, when it is really unmeasurable ?

You do understand that with your lack of posts and the way trolls work, it is quite likely that you were one. Your thread opening was typical for a "stealth" troll. Opposing fans can come in many flavors, some just love the game, some are here to talk trash or deceive and/or stir up the fans. Frankly, the ones that love the game contribute much to the discussion, better than blind homer suns fans, and certainly better than those who dont post at all. Those that just read and dont contribute anything, obviously. Complainers who dont contribute are quite annoying themselves. If it comes to the point that I just read(it has happened for stretches before due to some of the territorial "clique type" posters), I wont be complaining about the content of the posts.

nowagimp

Reaction score
You're right, I myself have learned that it's best not to even bother with those people. I discovered the "ignore" feature the other day, and it changed my life! Now if I could only somehow add the wife to the list...
;)

BeeBeard, I have noted how you have become familiarized with the arguement for the sake of argument greeting here. It happened to me as well when I first posted at ASFN. When you learn some of the characters, its easy to avoid the ones who like to open a can of worms and argue endlessly about nothing. I do enjoy your contributions as you do know bball, catch nuances I sometimes miss. I dont always agree, but thats OK, the different(intelligent) point of view is useful in re examining my own conclusions.

Bynum3000

Reaction score
Frankly, the ones that love the game contribute much to the discussion, better than blind homer suns fans, and certainly better than those who dont post at all.

I'm one of those Laker trolls who loves the game. So I'm sure you'll be happy with my contributions. :raccoon:

BeeBeard

Throw some Bees on that.
Reaction score
BeeBeard, I have noted how you have become familiarized with the arguement for the sake of argument greeting here. It happened to me as well when I first posted at ASFN. When you learn some of the characters, its easy to avoid the ones who like to open a can of worms and argue endlessly about nothing. I do enjoy your contributions as you do know bball, catch nuances I sometimes miss. I dont always agree, but thats OK, the different(intelligent) point of view is useful in re examining my own conclusions.

Oh, truly, I'm still learning the ropes, learning the different personalities, when to pick my battles, and so forth. Thanks very much for your support! :)

devilalum

Heavily Redacted
Reaction score
;)

Warning: Utilization of the "Ignore" feature on the Wife 2000 may cause the unit to overheat.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dbacks05