Suns 2024-2025 Season Discussions

OP
OP
Yuma

Yuma

Suns are my Kryptonite!
Reaction score
League sources tell Sarah Todd of The Deseret News that Phoenix will hire Jazz assistant Chad Forcier to work with his longtime colleague. Forcier and Budenholzer coached together in San Antonio before Budenholzer became a head coach and then Forcier spent four years on Budenholzer’s staff in Milwaukee, according to Todd.

OP
OP
Yuma

Yuma

Suns are my Kryptonite!
Reaction score
Phoenix will also be hiring Chaisson Allen as an assistant, reports Michael Scotto of HoopsHype (via Twitter). Allen was a highly regarded college player for Northeastern and spent five seasons playing internationally before transitioning to coaching. He has mostly coached in the G League, including a two-year stint as head coach of the Wisconsin Herd, Milwaukee’s affiliate. He’s another person Budenholzer is familiar with, since their time with the Bucks overlapped.

Covert Rain

Father smelt of elderberries!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If we take Bronny at 22 only to get left at the altar by LeBron I am going to die laughing.

I’d probably die laughing if we drafted Bronny and got LeBron in the process.

That would set up such a ludicrous season, for good or bad.
This would go down as one of the dumbest draft moves of all time. Drafting a guy in hopes of landing his dad when that kid is the poster child for being a nepo baby. Then he doesn’t come here.

The Suns better have players talking to LeBron and validating he is coming here or this just further solidifies why they need to move on from James Jones.

OP
OP
Yuma

Yuma

Suns are my Kryptonite!
Reaction score
What gets me the most about this, is according to John Gambadoro, the Suns are working Bronny out because they feel he fits the needs of the Suns at the 22cnd pick. If THAT is true, then I seriously have doubts about James Jones and his staff evaluating talent.

GatorAZ

feed hopkins
Reaction score
What gets me the most about this, is according to John Gambadoro, the Suns are working Bronny out because they feel he fits the needs of the Suns at the 22cnd pick. If THAT is true, then I seriously have doubts about James Jones and his staff evaluating talent.

They can say whatever they want but nobody in their right mind believes that. I will laugh uncontrollably if the Lakers take him at 17 out of fear the Suns take him.

95pro

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
They can say whatever they want but nobody in their right mind believes that. I will laugh uncontrollably if the Lakers take him at 17 out of fear the Suns take him.

Yep Bron and camp are Klutching the lakers by their basketballs

Raindog

I didn't come here to be liked!
Reaction score
Indeed... but everyone should have had serious doubts about Jones long before that. The fact that we're talking about James Jones only confirms the likelihood that whatever the Suns eventually end up doing regarding this situation is about 90% likely to be foolish.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I can’t say why or how I know this, but Gambo is full of ish. Only reason they’re looking at Bronny is because of the possible package deal with LeBRon.

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I can’t say why or how I know this, but Gambo is full of ish. Only reason they’re looking at Bronny is because of the possible package deal with LeBRon.
It would be the only reason.

Just for giggles. Would LeBron be our point guard? I hate the idea of LeBron coming here because I don't really like him. But if he did come, I would just make him the full time point guard on this roster.

clyde2tw

All Star
Reaction score
It would be the only reason.

Just for giggles. Would LeBron be our point guard? I hate the idea of LeBron coming here because I don't really like him. But if he did come, I would just make him the full time point guard on this roster.
He'd be the PF on D and point forward on O. I guess.

Covert Rain

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Gambo is being very careful about his wording. What he said is they are not going to play the draft Bronny and hop that lands Lebron sweepstakes. That is completely different then through whatever means coming to an agreement and then drafting Bronny as a result.

Superbone

Phoenix native; Lifelong Suns Fan
Reaction score
Gambo is being very careful about his wording. What he said is they are not going to play the draft Bronny and hop that lands Lebron sweepstakes. That is completely different then through whatever means coming to an agreement and then drafting Bronny as a result.
"You draft my boy and I'll come play for you." Something like that?

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Isn't that what they have to do if they draft Bronny because they want Lebron?

Free agency doesn't begin until after the draft. That would be tampering.

If the Suns want Lebron, I think they have to do a multi-team trade to clear room.

More likely, I think the Suns are being used for leverage for the Lakers to draft Bronny.

Covert Rain

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Isn't that what they have to do if they draft Bronny because they want Lebron?

Free agency doesn't begin until after the draft. That would be tampering.

If the Suns want Lebron, I think they have to do a multi-team trade to clear room.

More likely, I think the Suns are being used for leverage for the Lakers to draft Bronny.
Yes it would be and it happens in the NBA all the time every season through players etc. There is no way the Suns draft Bronny with just the hope of landing LeBron. No way. If they do? James Jones should be fired on the spot. I guess I should be prepared for this to happen since that would be sort of on brand for this team.

Last edited:

clyde2tw

All Star
Reaction score

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yes it would be and it happens in the NBA all the time every season through players etc. There is no way the Suns draft Bronny with just the hope of landing LeBron. No way. If they do? James Jones should be fired on the spot. I guess I should be prepared for this to happen since that would be sort of on brand for this team.

Players talk to players. There is no way of stopping this. I think the foundation for a lot of trades start this way. The NBA has always been a player's league. However, I think Bronny ends up with the Lakers.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The main issue is the price. I don't think RO has much market value. 8 mil x 3 years shall do it.
PS: actually each year there are min players like Derrick Jones, Oubre, N.Marshall out there who are not worse than RO.

The idea would probably be for the Suns to sign O'Neale to an above market contract, and then trade him later on when trade eligible with a draft pick(s) for a player that could better help the Suns.

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
It's pretty much a no-brainer given his bird rights and that Phoenix is up against the 2nd apron. I don't think he can be replaced with a minimum level signing (and they've tried a few times last off-season)

We overpay him as a trade piece. Give him $15 million for year 1, the same for year 2 but only guarantee half of it and make the 3rd year non guaranteed. So he can be used sort of like an expiring now in a trade. Because of the stretch provision if a team wanted to get out from his deal then that guaranteed money can be equally divided amongst 5 years, since it's time remaining doubled plus a year. 2 years left doubled is 4 and that extra year makes 5. He'd only have like $7-8 million owed though, which is nothing spread out over 5 years.

Even if they don't get creative beyond this year. I can definitely see a 2 year deal with a team option for year 2 and the entire contract being somewhere around $10-15 million annually. That gives us trade options. Even if we decline his option next season we still retain his bird rights and maybe sign him long term to a team friendly deal.

Covert Rain

Supporting Member
Reaction score
The idea would probably be for the Suns to sign O'Neale to an above market contract, and then trade him later on when trade eligible with a draft pick(s) for a player that could better help the Suns.
That's what the morning guys said right after the season when they were evaluating who to resign. They had the same idea to overpay then use him in a trade.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
That's what the morning guys said right after the season when they were evaluating who to resign. They had the same idea to overpay then use him in a trade.
The only thing problematic about this is we couldn’t trade him for six months after signing.