Suns are frontrunners to sign Bol Bol

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
I can provide 2,

1. he takes a roster spot from a real NBA talent.
2. Luxury tax cost to retain him is like triple his salary due to how far over the tax apron we are. He's certainly not worth roughly $6m a year to the team. It'd be better to keep the roster spot empty.
Funny how basketball isn’t included in any of your reasons. Obviously James Jones knows more than you.

overseascardfan

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
You have to look at Bol as a wing. He is mobile, long and can handle the ball. He is young so he has time to develop 3pt shot. Unless PHX is interested in Wood, I think Bol is best front court in free agency in their price range. If PHX is eyeing a big in a trade then so be it.

Sunburn

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Beca
And why is that? By inference you think Ish is a negative. Tell me why.
One, I don't think Ish provides much value as a player in general. Two, I think we have guys at Ish's position that provide relatively as much, or more, value in all possible applications. He adds nothing of consequence. I don't think we would miss him.

Bol, on the other hand, has a unique body type and skillet that could possibly add value to this team in certain applications. Do I think Bol is a good player? No. Do I think he could provide us with an added dimension that we currently don't have? Possibly. Do I think he has greater potential for development and impact than Ish. Yes.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
Beca

One, I don't think Ish provides much value as a player in general. Two, I think we have guys at Ish's position that provide relatively as much, or more, value in all possible applications. He adds nothing of consequence. I don't think we would miss him.

Bol, on the other hand, has a unique body type and skillet that could possibly add value to this team in certain applications. Do I think Bol is a good player? No. Do I think he could provide us with an added dimension that we currently don't have? Possibly. Do I think he has greater potential for development and impact than Ish. Yes.
Do you have any examples? Ish’s defense is actually really good and he’s improved his 3 point shot so he has value there. Not sure how he has no potential for further development.

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Funny how basketball isn’t included in any of your reasons. Obviously James Jones knows more than you.

Do you not understand how "he takes a roster spot from real NBA level talent" is basketball related? He's not a legit NBA player. He offers no reliable skills better than your average vet min signing. He's far and away the worst player on the roster right now and he has zero upside given his age, body type, and skill level.

But sure, not basketball related. Ok, Chap.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
Do you not understand how "he takes a roster spot from real NBA level talent" is basketball related? He's not a legit NBA player. He offers no reliable skills better than your average vet min signing. He's far and away the worst player on the roster right now and he has zero upside given his age, body type, and skill level.

But sure, not basketball related. Ok, Chap.
You have not proven by any means that Ish isn’t an NBA player. Because you can’t.

That said, I’m done with this stupid argument.

Sunburn

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Do you have any examples? Ish’s defense is actually really good and he’s improved his 3 point shot so he has value there. Not sure how he has no potential for further development.
Watching Wainwright, I see a try hard guy with very little talent. He's physically strong, but that's about it. In the Nuggets series, we were desperate for any bench player to make any kind of significant impact. Ish did not. Could this be Monty's fault? Possibly, but I doubt it.

Wainwright turns 29 this year. Bol turns 24. Could Wainwright elevate his game at this stage? Again, possibly, but the odds are against it. Historically, do players see greater gains in proficiency at age 24 than 29? Yes, they do.

Do we have guys on the roster around 6'6" that can play defense and shoot the 3? Yes, we do.

Do we have guys on the roster around 7'2" that can block shots, dribble, and play on the perimeter? Well, we have Kevin Durant, but that's the closest we have to this.

In terms of potential ceiling, there's really no argument to be made for Wainwright over Bol.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
Watching Wainwright, I see a try hard guy with very little talent. He's physically strong, but that's about it. In the Nuggets series, we were desperate for any bench player to make any kind of significant impact. Ish did not. Could this be Monty's fault? Possibly, but I doubt it.

Wainwright turns 29 this year. Bol turns 24. Could Wainwright elevate his game at this stage? Again, possibly, but the odds are against it. Historically, do players see greater gains in proficiency at age 24 than 29?. Yes, they do.

Do we have guys on the roster around 6'6" that can play defense and shoot the 3? Yes, we do.

Do we have guys on the roster around 7'2" that can block shots, dribble, and play on the perimeter. Well, we have Kevin Durant, but that's the closest we have to this.

In terms of potential ceiling, there's really no argument to be made for Wainwright over Bol.
There’s very little argument for Bol over Wainwright also.

But hey, if Bol earns a spot over Wainwright, great. But if Ish wins the spot instead, are you going to go crazy?

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Chap this is a little attacking

It seemed to be headed that way but I'll gladly concede that James Jones knows more than I do. James Jones is an NBA GM after all. I'd go even further and say James Jones knows more than everyone on this board put together. It may have been a comment meant to put me down or irritate me but it's true. If @Chaplin wants to go that route then he should never question moves made by the front office, coaching staff, or players because they know more than him, and I, simply because they're in their positions for a reason. It really isn't the "gotcha" he thought it was.

BirdGangThing

Casual Fan
Reaction score
Wainwright is a great guy but this team has gotten a lot deeper. I'm not going to debate whether he's worthy or not because clearly he is, but if a better player can be found it's clear Ishbia and JJ won't hesitate to part ways

Sunburn

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
There’s very little argument for Bol over Wainwright also.

But hey, if Bol earns a spot over Wainwright, great. But if Ish wins the spot instead, are you going to go crazy?
Argument for Bol over Wainwright - see my previous post.

No, I will not go crazy.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
Wainwright is a great guy but this team has gotten a lot deeper. I'm not going to debate whether he's worthy or not because clearly he is, but if a better player can be found it's clear Ishbia and JJ won't hesitate to part ways
And I agree. But Bol needs to prove it. Contrary to the Bol Bol experts on this board.

CardNots

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score

Wainwright turns 29 this year. Bol turns 24. Could Wainwright elevate his game at this stage? Again, possibly, but the odds are against it. Historically, do players see greater gains in proficiency at age 24 than 29? Yes, they do.

Do we have guys on the roster around 7'2" that can block shots, dribble, and play on the perimeter? Well, we have Kevin Durant, but that's the closest we have to this.

Solid

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
Be careful what you wish for. Highlight videos are nice, but every player has those. How about lowlights?

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

Ish isn't a great player, but he hasn't approached this level of ineptitude. Bol was waived and at his low salary, nobody claimed him. That should tell you something. The Magic waived him AND Bamba. How many teams purge out their center position that much in a single offseason?

CardsSunsDbacks

Not So Skeptical
Reaction score
Be careful what you wish for. Highlight videos are nice, but every player has those. How about lowlights?

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

Ish isn't a great player, but he hasn't approached this level of ineptitude. Bol was waived and at his low salary, nobody claimed him. That should tell you something. The Magic waived him AND Bamba. How many teams purge out their center position that much in a single offseason?
Every player has those as well..

The more you try to create off the dribble the more of them you will have too.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dickiev22