Suns at Mavs

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
These last 2 victories are extremely important, and quite possible the best of the season--the one thing everyone agrees with is that we can't win without Steve Nash. We have just beaten an elite team without him, when we couldn't score above 90 back in January when we didn't have him.

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Chaplin said:
These last 2 victories are extremely important, and quite possible the best of the season--the one thing everyone agrees with is that we can't win without Steve Nash. We have just beaten an elite team without him, when we couldn't score above 90 back in January when we didn't have him.

Exactly.

This team has the talent to win without Nash, but its a young team, and their confidence was shaken during that earlier losing streak. These two games are huge confidence builders for this team.

Its a maturing process going on before our eyes.

Oh, I don't think we are letting JJ go anywhere. We'd give up Q for nothing before we'd let JJ walk.

mribnik

Reaction score
Barbosa was in foul trouble so he never really got it going but it was great to see him get 6 assists! That's refreshing as well!

fordronken

Reaction score
I watched the game with a Mavs fan and he said it was a clean block. Apparently, the Mavs broadcasters were saying Marion "sucker punched Nowitzki in the stomache". Hard to do from behind. Especially with a clean camera view from under the basket.

Whew. Great win, nonetheless.

PhxGametime

Formerly Bball_31
Reaction score
I still don't understand why a few members don't think Suns will resign JJ, Suns have had higher payroll before and this team is Championship contender and why save money now... with the Mid-Level going lower most likely, Suns aren't going to be under cap for many years - might as well spend a few extra dollars to put a Title contending team with current roster. Suns aren't cheap and other than Draft Picks (which are cheap) - team really doesn't need to add much... Nash will be the player needed to be replaced in 5 years. McCarty and Jackson both are swings, which could be replaced in Draft (ton of those every year) in 3 to 4 years.

Bo doesn't even get much time, so there just isn't many needs for team... unless Barbosa blows up and team has trouble paying big bucks for back-up, by then though he could even replace Nash (minute wise) - I can't think of reasons not to sign JJ. Money never was an issue for the team, smallball was actually the concern I heard most and well Suns are dominating with skillball, so other than a freak (won't say it)... team should be sitting well for many a year. :wave:

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
I know we've been guilty of it, but has anyone remembered a season where every team that loses whines this much? Sacramento, Dallas, amazing amount of whining.

PhxGametime

Formerly Bball_31
Reaction score
fordronken said:
I watched the game with a Mavs fan and he said it was a clean block. Apparently, the Mavs broadcasters were saying Marion "sucker punched Nowitzki in the stomache". Hard to do from behind. Especially with a clean camera view from under the basket.

Whew. Great win, nonetheless.

I thought for a second, fans were complaining at game because Marion looked out of bounds. I need to watch the game though, I watched it for a second and I couldn't really tell?

fordronken

Reaction score
BbaLL_31 said:
I thought for a second, fans were complaining at game because Marion looked out of bounds. I need to watch the game though, I watched it for a second and I couldn't really tell?

You mean after he blocked him and secured the ball? If so, then no, I don't think so.

ASUCHRIS

ONE HEART BEAT!!!
Reaction score
I am so sick of Dirk flopping all over the court like a rag doll and the Dallas fans and coaches whining like a bunch of *******. There were times in this game where the refs would call fouls on the Suns seemingly before they even made contact. I've never seen Marion so angry about foul calls.

Regardless, I thought all momentum was gone at the end of the game, and it looked like they would lose. Once again, Q was HUGE in the clutch with that big three, and props to JJ for rocking KVH to sleep, and putting in the dagger. How Marion blocked that shot is beyond me, nice to see him show the emotion.

My only complaint about the game was the exclusion of Stephen Hunter. I just don't understand why you would have 3 players of similar skills, (JJ, JJ2, and Q) on the court at the same time when the Mavs are getting uncontested layups on many possesions. The exclusion of giving Hunter valuable minutes is the only thing that really worries me about this team, and I fear that it may be our undoing in the long run....oh well, I am enjoying the ride either way....

God, after going through so many bad years with so many of our local teams, it really makes you appreciate when a team can get together and just win games like this team. Once again, while Nash has been a huge addition, I just love Q. The guy is absolutely fearless, and plays his ass off every game. His swagger is alsoa welcome addition to this group, and I think it helps guys like Amare and Marion, who are not as gregarious as Q. There were about 3 or 4 plays this game that made him player of the game, obviously the big three and the ball he just willed away from three seperate Mavs that he took down and jammed. This Nash injury may have been the best thing to happen to the team. Not only does it afford him to get healthy, but the rest of the team, especially the bench is getting involved and contributing.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
ASUCHRIS said:
God, after going through so many bad years with so many of our local teams, it really makes you appreciate when a team can get together and just win games like this team. Once again, while Nash has been a huge addition, I just love Q. The guy is absolutely fearless, and plays his ass off every game. His swagger is alsoa welcome addition to this group, and I think it helps guys like Amare and Marion, who are not as gregarious as Q. There were about 3 or 4 plays this game that made him player of the game, obviously the big three and the ball he just willed away from three seperate Mavs that he took down and jammed. This Nash injury may have been the best thing to happen to the team. Not only does it afford him to get healthy, but the rest of the team, especially the bench is getting involved and contributing.

Funny, today I was thinking about Q, and how he has largely gone unsung as a contributor--most of what is talked about when it comes to Q is about his bad shooting--but he has seemingly gotten out of that funk. But he's turning into my favorite player on the team--he seems to be good at everything, much like JJ, but Q has much more personality. ;)

I love Amare, Shawn and Stevie Nash, but Q just seems really dynamic.

sly fly

Devil Me This
Reaction score
A wickedly, stunning performance.

I had written off (half-heartedly) the Suns when they threw the in-bounds pass away. That was a minumum 4 point swing.

But, when KVH threw up that terrrrrrible, ill-advised 23 footer... I thought there was a chance.

JJ took another step forward in his progress with that shot. Amare continues to look Karl Malone-esque on his J. And, the D stepped up when needed. I guess that's all you can ask for when on the road against a team that's won 7 straight and 28-0 when leading after 3 quarters.

The look on Mark Cuban's face after the loss: Billion.

Chaz

observationist
Reaction score
I just got done watching the game and WOW!

What a great game to watch. I was getting very frustrated at the lack of defense but both of these teams are not easy to guard. The game was up and down, very entertaining.

Great clutch plays by the Suns in the last 2 min. Suns totally dodged a bullet with the Marion block, but a win is a win and this was a great one to get.

I thought maybe Marion stepped out of bounds after he got the ball as well. Once I saw the replay it looks like he was on his toe. If his heal had come down it would have been OB.

Hunter didn't look very effective tonight and it was a 'small ball' type of game. His lack of playing time tonight didn't bother me at all.

Also, can we please stop talking about Joe Johnson the FA to be after every play and just enjoy the season without worrying too much about next year?

GO SUNS!!

George O'Brien

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
SirChaz said:
Hunter didn't look very effective tonight and it was a 'small ball' type of game. His lack of playing time tonight didn't bother me at all.

GO SUNS!!

Hunter's main value is when the Suns play against major low post threats, because he can at least attempt to play these guys one on one. That reduces the number of times the Suns have to double the post and get burned when the ball gets whipped around to the weak side shooter or someone to drive the basket.

Hunter is not much good against guys like Dirk who is simply a very big SF. I could see using Hunter in a zone, but zoning Dallas would be a disaster.

jandaman

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
What a great win.

Suns needed this win againts another top 4 team to build more confidence, and not only that, suns win without Nash.

The Suns feels comfortable with each other it seems and thats what Nash brings in (that and 11+ assists a game). Good win, JJ was clutch today, Amare had a big night but Marion was the Player of the Game, although you can argue for it.

Chaz

observationist
Reaction score
Get this guy from Mavs board.
That was a foul on Marion, without a doubt. He hit Dirk across the arms, and this is one case where, without a doubt, one can say that the officiating cost us the game.

There are no "what if"s about this game. No "what if he would have missed the shot anyway." None of that. It was a dunk, and the Mavs should have won. This is extremely distressing. It pains me to see a game so well officiated for the most part end in this manner.

Courtney Kirkland made a number of questionable calls in this game, and I hope that the NBA takes along look at this game, and does inform Mark Cuban that it was a foul.

The Mavs are 38-16 now in my book. The Spurs lost tonight, so it's fitting that the refs heard that they were losing and purposely made sure that the Mavs would lose.

This is not something I will forget for awhile.

Keeping his own record book.

Then the refs have time to check the scoreboard and protect the Spurs lead in the SW division.
:doi:

:D

http://www.mavtalk.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=2;t=004349;p=3

George O'Brien

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
This is great stuff. I so relieved to know that the refs are looking out for the Suns and willing to throw games just to spite certain teams. After all these years of thinking the refs seem to blow calls pretty much at random, it is great to know that they actually are intent on helping the Suns win.

I'm certainly ready to celebrate. :wave:

meth

Rookie
Reaction score
Kings, Mavs...
Suns are going to be the most hated team in this league soon.
Who cares? 8)

JJ, Matrix - big respect.

jbeecham

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Great game without Nash. The Suns got great contributions from their main 4. Barbosa didn't have a great offensive game, but he did have 6 assists in 33 minutes. The bench played pretty good too with McCarty getting 9 pts and Jim Jackson having 5 assists. Q had a great game against a quality opponent and JJ, Shawn & Amare had great games too.

I don't know why the Mavs fans are complaining about the refs. I thought the Suns were getting screwed the majority of the night and almost every Suns player was in foul trouble. Nowitzki was allowed to do whatever he wanted all night long. Marion's block was clean. I also thought his foot was out of bounds when he 1st grabbed the rebound, then he shuffled his foot forward and went up on his tip-toes and passed the ball to Joe.

Errntknght

Reaction score
I think I've spotted the secret to the guys getting Barbs more assists - cut directly in front of him so he can't help but see them! He still didn't look like a PG but he he did have a good game with his six assists. JJax made some nice plays, too.

What really ticked me off about the game is D'Antoni proving once again he's a dunce when it comes to Hunter. In four minutes, Steven got one block, forced two shots to be altered - and missed - and he forced Terry into giving up on a shot after he was in the air & throwing a hurried pass out of bounds. That's about half of the good defensive plays in the paint for the entire team. This followed one his best extended outings, too - and he doesn't get off the bench in the second half. I don't know, maybe F-Dog can explain again how Hunter's short minutes are all due to his poor play.

About the only thing he did wrong was not fouling Nowitski hard enough to prevent him from making a shot after Dirk left McCarty standing totally flat-footed. Walduh was so out of it he didn't even follow the play but he got in the game in the second half - when he had another gem, mistiming his jump for a rebound eight feet from the basket and all by
himself.

I know anyone can make a couple of bonehead plays but the more I watch McCarty the more inept he looks on defense - and he doesn't do anything well, with possible exception of shooting 3's. I didn't check his stats but my guess is that he's the sixth best 3 pt shooter after Q, JJ, Nash, Barbs and JJax.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dbacks05