Suns get Aaron Brooks

jagu

#13 - Legendary
Reaction score
I hope he plays aggressive like he can, I think the bench can use an offensive jolt once Nash sits down and I also think that Brooks will be a tough guard for opposing baxkup guards as well. Motivated and with a change of scenery lets hope he flips the page back to '10!!!

TBaslim

Planet Orange
Reaction score
I guess if Suns management is looking at Brooks as a fix for the bench while Nash is with the team, with a goal of more consistent offensive output and shot creation ability ala LB, then ok.

I get the idea of a lightning quick, instant offense PG off the bench for a change of pace when Nash sits. That worked well with LB for awhile...it's what they thought they would get with Marcus Banks...and it's what the have in Zabian (barely). I get it.

It does help against conference foes like the Lakers. Marbury and LB used to give the Lakeshow fits, and apparently Brooks did/does too. I get it.

What I don't get is giving up Goran to get him. I really liked what Kerr was trying to do with Goran. Bigger PG who could play defense but still dish the ball and score in the offense. Yes, that was not the Dragic of this year, but he has the potential.

The Suns are short on potential right now, so it's hard to see it go away for what appears to be a tactical fix to make the second round or something this year.

Evil Ash

Henchman Supreme
Reaction score
Goran had taken major steps backward this season. Not one, several. He looked lost both physically and mentally. He was at the point of being outplayed by a street FA. I think there's a fair chance he's going back to Europe the first chance he can. Its a shame really.

Brooks is an intriguing prospect that has shown in the past that he can be explosive offensively.

Considering the draft being considered so poor, giving up the 1st doesn't really bother me since it is protected.

Overall, I'll just wait and see with this one

Covert Rain

Father smelt of elderberries!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
No he was not. He played good if you only look at PPG and not what it took to get there.

He played 35 minutes a game.

He led his team in FG attempts despite shooting 43% from the field.

He averaged below 2 on his assist to turnover ratio.

He averaged under a steal a game despite playing 35 minutes.

The only thing he did well was shoot 39% from three, which is exactly what Dragic shot.

That tells me he shoots alot. Remember he was playing on a team without any post up game. So, they were probably asking him to shoot alot because nobody else could manufacture points. We don't need that Brooks. We need the Brooks that will occasionally get streaky and put some points in when Nash is on the bench.

We were not going to get that from Dragic or some draft pick. Oh...and by the way...the Suns were going to draft a project PF with that pick anyway IMO. So, your choices were to go with Dragic or hope some PG dopped that far in the draft or draft one late. Any really good PG is not going to sign here to backup Nash either.

The Suns really are probably hoping he can get hot from time to time and get streaky. Not something they think will really happen with Goran much.

He is not a Star PG by any stretch and maybe this trade isn't a great one. However, I don't think you can get much worse then Goran and the backup PG's that have been here up to this point.

Last edited:

Chris_Sanders

Not Always The Best Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If Elindholm doesn't like this trade either then we are officially at doomsday.

Sanders, SlinSlin, Joe Mama, and Elindholm all agree after 6+ years. lol

Broseph

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Yeah our draft picks always suck....like:

Rajon Rondo
Andre Igodala
Marcin Gortat
Sergio Fernandez

We draft great players all the time and just give them away. Clark is doing a lot better in Miami.

Dragic is 3 years younger, or roughly 25% of someone's playing career.

At some point you need young players for the future. This damn shell game of mediocrity is crazy.

Aaron Brooks isn't a geezer dude. Sure Dragic is younger but only by a couple years. Dragic proved that he is waaaay too fragile and inconsistent to be the future PG of this team.

leclerc

The smooth operator
Reaction score
Playing VC and not developing talent, loser coach, giving away picks again, giving up on talent for a peck who does one thing only, I'm very disappointed. F*** the Suns.

Divide Et Impera

Reaction score
So, apparently the Cavs are going to buyout Leon Powe in order to get to the 15-man roster limit. Could he be a serviceable 4 for us to finish out the year? I mean, the Suns were trying to trade for 6'8" Milsap, so why not just give the 6'8" Powe a shot?

TBaslim

Planet Orange
Reaction score
Aaron Brooks isn't a geezer dude. Sure Dragic is younger but only by a couple years. Dragic proved that he is waaaay too fragile and inconsistent to be the future PG of this team.

While that may be true from this year's Dragic, the same can be said of Brooks. A bench helper to spell Nash? Fine. Future starting PG for the next decade? Not so much.

Bufalay

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
If Elindholm doesn't like this trade either then we are officially at doomsday.

Sanders, SlinSlin, Joe Mama, and Elindholm all agree after 6+ years. lol

Surely you all must've agreed on the KT giveaway.

TBaslim

Planet Orange
Reaction score
Speaking of future Suns starting PG down the road at some point, which of the young crop of current starting PGs would folks want to see on the Suns?

CP3? Dwill? Any of them? None of them?

My personal guess is the Suns make a huge play for CP3 in 2012. Or at least, that's their plan right now and they are aligning the cost structure to be able to make it happen. Then find their next PF through trades.

jagu

#13 - Legendary
Reaction score
I also think that they will try and land CP3. Hopefullu the new CBA prevents him from going to NY!!!

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Speaking of future Suns starting PG down the road at some point, which of the young crop of current starting PGs would folks want to see on the Suns?

My personal guess is the Suns make a huge play for CP3 in 2012. Or at least, that's their plan right now and they are aligning the cost structure to be able to make it happen. Then find their next PF through trades.

I don't think they'll make a play for any of the big name PG's and if they do, I doubt they'll succeed. Chris Paul appears to be damaged goods and Deron will stay in New York one way or the other, IMO.

Steve

desertdawg

ASFN Icon
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score

CP3 and a solid power froward...then the purple will go to the top.

You must be registered for see images

jagu

#13 - Legendary
Reaction score
Is this correct?

Dragic DOB: May 6, 1986
Brooks DOB: Jan 14, 1985

A 1 year difference in age between the two?

TBaslim

Planet Orange
Reaction score
I don't think they'll make a play for any of the big name PG's and if they do, I doubt they'll succeed. Chris Paul appears to be damaged goods and Deron will stay in New York one way or the other, IMO.

Steve

Fair enough, but what's the rebuild plan then, when that time comes?

Saver seems to have soured on the draft, and is talking up the trade/free agent route. So I'm curious where they decide to go with it. They are going to need at least one superstar post-Nash to make the playoffs consistently, nevermind contending. And my guess is Sarver wants the playoffs to keep the $$ flowing.

I would love Dwight Howard, but I think he's only going to Orlando, LA or NY.

Durant is not going anywhere. Not sure there is a Kobe-heir apparent out there right now besides Miami's boys.

It just seems like there are more A-level young PGs out there that could be had in a few years than A-level big men or wings. Just like normal years in the NBA. And the Suns have had a long track record of success (conversations about titles aside) with A-list PGs.

Last edited:

Bufalay

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Fair enough, but what's the rebuild plan then, when that time comes?

Saver seems to have soured on the draft, and is talking up the trade/free agent route. So I'm curious where they decide to go with it. They are going to need at least one superstar post-Nash to make the playoffs consistently, nevermind contending. And my guess is Sarver wants the playoffs to keep the $$ flowing.

I would love Dwight Howard, but I think he's only going to Orlando, LA or NY.

Durant is not going anywhere. Not sure there is a Kobe-heir apparent out there right now besides Miami's boys.

It just seems like there are more A-level young PGs out there that could be had in a few years than A-level big men. Just like normal years in the NBA. And the Suns have had a long track record of success (conversations about titles aside) with A-list PGs.

Plan? There is no plan. There never has been.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
Do the haters here actually watch basketball games? It's like they completely ignore the double digit leads we give up when Dragic is on the floor. HELLO??

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
CP3 and a solid power froward...then the purple will go to the top.

You must be registered for see images

Chris Paul will join Amare and Melo at the same time Howard joins Deron in Brooklyn. Although, there are already rumors that DWill and Dwight are going to LA in 2012. I think it's a safe bet that none of them are coming to Phoenix.

There are very few of us that are not fully convinced that Sarver is horrible. The rest of us are convinced he's the worst owner in the league and that attitude alone would be enough to keep many of the prized players away. Who wants to play for an owner that has alienated most of his fan base? Throw in the fact that we look to be headed downward for quite some time and I just don't think a million golf courses will be enough to sway these guys.

Steve

jagu

#13 - Legendary
Reaction score
I think the plan is secretely engraved on Nash's scalp. once he retires 10 years from now, he'll have no hair left and the world will see the greatest plan in NBA history.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
Chris Paul will join Amare and Melo at the same time Howard joins Deron in Brooklyn. Although, there are already rumors that DWill and Dwight are going to LA in 2012. I think it's a safe bet that none of them are coming to Phoenix.

There are very few of us that are not fully convinced that Sarver is horrible. The rest of us are convinced he's the worst owner in the league and that attitude alone would be enough to keep many of the prized players away. Who wants to play for an owner that has alienated most of his fan base? Throw in the fact that we look to be headed downward for quite some time and I just don't think a million golf courses will be enough to sway these guys.

Steve

Are you saying this trade was Sarver's fault? Assuming you don't like it, of course. That's ridiculous, but expected.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dbacks05