Suns get Aaron Brooks

Chris_Sanders

Not Always The Best Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Per usual, spot on. I just can't understand why anyone would get too happy or pissed about it either way.

I agree. With all the young talent on this team, I can't see why we would care about draft picks. The core of Nash, Hill, and Vince Carter will carry us for years so they would never play anyway.

::90s flashback

SirStefan32

Krycek, Alex Krycek
Reaction score
If the Suns could have used their draft picks to help acquire both Brooks and Millsap, I would happily forget the draft. At least the Suns filled one need.

Eh, they still need a PF, and a swingman who can score/ create his own shot.
Backup PG was pretty damn low on the list of priorities.

TRW

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Seems like the Suns gave up 2 steaming piles to the Rockets 1 steaming pile.

Really is a wash, neither player is really worth much IMO.

The draft pick will be worthless, even if it IS a lottery pick. This draft by all accounts is one of the absolute worst in years.

So, I can't get as irate as some about this trade. It really won't do much as far as the season outcome for the Suns one way or another.

Funny how large a thread got for the Suns trading Dragic.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I know! We suck so bad at it, why bother?

I feel this way about defense and rebounding as well.

I'd trade a later first round draft pick for a proven young player every day of the week. This doesn't mean good players can't be selected late, but it does eliminate the gamble.

I'm not sure how defense and rebounding need have any relationship with the draft.

Chaz

observationist
Reaction score
Hopefully it works out, but at first blush I am not happy with this trade.

Dragic was hot and cold offensively but I think we will miss his size on defense.

Nash can post up Brooks.

Griffin

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
I don't know why the Suns had to give up a pick, even a late first-round one, to get this deal done. Perhaps Dragic has very little value in the eyes of most GM's, which would not be surprising. Certainly his career numbers or performance this year wouldn't garner much interest, but Houston was desperate to trade Brooks since he already lost his starting job to Lowry.

I like the fact that the Suns management were fully aware of our biggest weakness recently, namely lack of offensive production while Nash in on the bench, and tried to address that with this trade. I don't know if it will help, but I imagine it can't possibly hurt in that regard.

As was pointed out, Brooks was hurt early this year and when he came back he lost his starting job, so his numbers this year aren't very indicative of what he can do. On the other hand, the Suns will have him coming off the bench as well, so he'll have to be a little more productive and consistent in that role.

As for Dragic, it is not entirely his fault the Suns struggled when he was on the floor, but there is no denying that he has taken a major step back from last season. Overall, I don't mind this trade. But I wish the Suns could have gotten the Milsap deal done.

desertdawg

ASFN Icon
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
I'm very excited about this deal.

Aaron Brooks is a BEAST type player. He lit up last year. He drops 30-40 pts on the Lakers every time they play. I also think he has a better chance of replacing Nash in the long run than Dragic. You guys don't understand the kind of potential he has. He has battled with injuries + coaching problems this season so he hasn't played that well....but kid can ball.

Dragic was awful this season. We definitely upgraded at backup PG.
At least we won't have to watch Sasha Vujacic butt rape Goran on national television anymore.

Overall, I am still digging this trade. Brooks has a chance here with a good team, his career depends on how he does here. If he blows it, we will basically only be back where we started.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I agree. With all the young talent on this team, I can't see why we would care about draft picks. The core of Nash, Hill, and Vince Carter will carry us for years so they would never play anyway.

::90s flashback

Gee, is that what he said? I thought it was a pretty mild comment hardly worthy of sarcasm in return but each to their own. Our pick is likely to be in the mid-teens. I'd rather have it than not but it's hardly a major loss. If Brooks can better fill the backup guard spot than Dragic you also have to consider that it will reduce the wear and tear on Nash.

If you've been following the Suns this year then you're well aware that this team is struggling even more than usual when Nash is on the bench. I'm not in love with this deal but I applaud management's decision to try and resolve what has been to date our biggest problem this season. If we get the same effort from him that Houston's been getting, we'll probably end up regretting this move a little but the chance for up-side is at least as great, IMO.

Steve

Chris_Sanders

Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Sorry Steve, that wasn't specifically directed at you, just the whole "Who cares about a draft pick crowd"

I feel like we have a weird Suns fans version of beaten wife syndrome. We are so used to not keeping picks, we make excuses and expect it.

jlove

AZ Born and Bred!!!
Reaction score
Well apparently there are bigger issues with the Suns then anyone outside the organization has let on. From Traxxe on RealGM, and I know, a lot of people here don't think there's any credibility with the posters there, but he and ray ray have been verified as having some very good inside info...

There was an issue with the whole glass and Dragic' foot thing. Apparently it was him being idiotic and not a complete accident. That and the issue that Nash HAS asked to be traded, prompted the Suns to look for a PG that could take the reigns till we pick up 1 of 2 PG's (one being Jimmer) in the draft is ready to take over. Nash will push us into the playoffs this year, then he will be traded around draft time. Nash/Lopez/whichever draft pick we have will be traded for a high draft pick (I would assume for a PF) and a pick in the 10-12 range to grab Jimmer or the other unnamed PG we are interested in.

**************Thread 2: DRAGIC/PICK FOR BROOKS Page 21
You must be registered for see images
by Traxxe on Fri Feb 25, 2011 12:31 am
Just got back from a meeting. This decision was not in the works when I left at 12 CST. The first is lottery protected. Will swap to the Orlando pick if we miss the playoffs. Brooks wanted out and Houston contacted us. Dragic didn't step on glass and that's all I'll say about that.

This was a smart move. We intend to trade Nash before/during the draft and will deal lopez possibly as well. We also will bundle whatever first we have. We want to get into the low lotter and want about 10-12 to grab Jimmy.

Nash wants one last run with the Suns. He asked to be traded. His statement is BS. His agent made known his wishes and when Nash said he didn't talk to his agent, that was BS. It's something agents do. They take the heat for things like this and when the player says 'I didn't say that' it's the agents job to save them face and swallow it.

Nash will take us into the playoffs. We have two point guards we want in this draft. Aaron will hold the fort until they are ready to take over. We want a top ten pick for nash, our pick, and maybe Lopez. Then we will get a big with that.********

http://forums.realgm.com/boards/viewtopic.php?f=27&t=1094921&start=525

If this is all true, then this summer is gonna be extremely interesting and gut wrenching at the same time.

Chris_Sanders

Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Suns reaction to the trade:

Nash:

Just landed in the T Dot and found out we traded my good friend Goran Dragic. Great teammate and person. Has a chance to be great.

Dudley:

we just landed, i just heard now, CRAZY!!Goran will be missed.Welcome Aaron Brooks

Chris_Sanders

Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
So according to "Traxxe" the Suns off season plan is to trade Nash, Lopez, and a Pick for Jimmer Fredette?

TBaslim

Planet Orange
Reaction score
I don't know why the Suns had to give up a pick, even a late first-round one, to get this deal done. Perhaps Dragic has very little value in the eyes of most GM's, which would not be surprising. Certainly his career numbers or performance this year wouldn't garner much interest, but Houston was desperate to trade Brooks since he already lost his starting job to Lowry.

I like the fact that the Suns management were fully aware of our biggest weakness recently, namely lack of offensive production while Nash in on the bench, and tried to address that with this trade. I don't know if it will help, but I imagine it can't possibly hurt in that regard.

Good points. I wonder if the Suns actually don't want two picks in this particular draft...at least mid-low 1st rounders that have guaranteed $$ tied to them.

That, and maybe the word is out Goran wants to go back to Europe for awhile after his rookie contract is up. So then it would really be the pick for Brooks and a fairly short Goran rental?

Either way, spot on comment the new Suns FO does actually watch the games. The offensive production drop-off with the bench unit has been rather glaring since the Orlando trade. With Goran playing poorly and Frye a starter, there is no one who can get their own shot on the bench crew (vs Goran, LB and Frye last year). I suppose Brooks can fix that the rest of the season, even if he does not return to his MIP form of last year.

Very tactical trade. Helps make the playoffs now. Might be something for later or might regret it down the road.

Giving up on some potential and youth for later to get the benefit now (boy, that sounds like the Suns of the last 8 years or so).

Chris_Sanders

Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
More from Dudley

do you think aaron is going to fit in well? ( YES, he was most improved player last yr, made the most 3's in the NBA)

Nash has said nothing about Brooks.

elindholm

edited for content
Reaction score
If this is all true, then this summer is gonna be extremely interesting and gut wrenching at the same time.

And if it's not, are you going to get back to us and admit that "Traxxe" really isn't much of an insider after all? Never mind, I already know the answer to that.

Chris_Sanders

Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Chris needs a beer and a happy ending

I can accept that the Suns organization doesn't value draft picks. This I knew.

I can not accept that the Suns organization feels that Nash, Lopez, and a #1 pick have the same value as the Mormon version of JJ Reddick.

Chris_Sanders

Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
And if it's not, are you going to get back to us and admit that "Traxxe" really isn't much of an insider after all? Never mind, I already know the answer to that.

Come on! Traxxe just revealed that Dragic didn't get glass in his foot.

No wait he now says, that there was glass, but it was no accident.

No he means that Dragic got glass in his foot by being an idiot!

Well thanks for clearing that up Windex. I had assumed Dragic purposefully stuck glass in his foot because he is brilliant.

I wish Traxxe was on ASFN :(

Covert Rain

Father smelt of elderberries!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If Elindholm doesn't like this trade either then we are officially at doomsday.

Sanders, SlinSlin, Joe Mama, and Elindholm all agree after 6+ years. lol

:lmao: Nice Chris.

While that may be true from this year's Dragic, the same can be said of Brooks. A bench helper to spell Nash? Fine. Future starting PG for the next decade? Not so much.

Agree with this.

Speaking of future Suns starting PG down the road at some point, which of the young crop of current starting PGs would folks want to see on the Suns?

CP3? Dwill? Any of them? None of them?

My personal guess is the Suns make a huge play for CP3 in 2012. Or at least, that's their plan right now and they are aligning the cost structure to be able to make it happen. Then find their next PF through trades.

I would be all over that. CP3 as the next great Suns PG??? Sign me up.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
M

Nash has said nothing about Brooks.

So what? You've convinced yourself that the world is going to end, so it doesn't really matter if Nash says anything about it or not, does it?

And again, you are really going overboard about a backup point guard and a late 1st rounder, when it's obvious a) Dragic was having a horrible year, b) Dragic doesn't fit this system, and c) Brooks THEORETICALLY does fit the system. Even with the possibility of Nash leaving, I find it hard to believe Gentry is going to want to change up the philosophy of the team, which is run, run, run.

But hey, if you want to personally attack me again, go right ahead. Just try to keep in mind all those double-digit leads we lose at the end of the 3rd quarter in almost EVERY. SINGLE. GAME.

Sunburn

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Come on! Traxxe just revealed that Dragic didn't get glass in his foot.

No wait he now says, that there was glass, but it was no accident.

No he means that Dragic got glass in his foot by being an idiot!

Well thanks for clearing that up Windex. I had assumed Dragic purposefully stuck glass in his foot because he is brilliant.

I wish Traxxe was on ASFN :(

:biglaugh:

jlove

AZ Born and Bred!!!
Reaction score
Like I said, take it for what you will. If it happens, then this team is going in a completely different direction this summer. If it doesn't happen, then we still have one of the best PG's in the league leading our team. A lot of people on this board and every other Suns forum, have been saying we should completely rebuild this team for the last couple years, well, it may just happen this summer.

Chris_Sanders

Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
So what? You've convinced yourself that the world is going to end.

Yes Chaplin America, the world is going to end! And there is nothing you can do to stop it!

Muhahahahah!!!

I have already formed my Brotherhood of Evil Haters and it will be your DOOM!

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dbacks05