Suns get lottery pick from Lakers if they miss playoffs

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
That simple, huh? Come on, JC, this has been a theme for years. Why would it change now?

I guess that is when it should. My question is why sports media types do not do anything. They are supposed to dig in an uncover stuff like this. Just the raw data is damning.

And what about the owners. Why do the owners just bend over and take it?

BC867

Long time Phoenician!
Reaction score
I guess that is when it should. My question is why sports media types do not do anything. They are supposed to dig in an uncover stuff like this. Just the raw data is damning.

And what about the owners. Why do the owners just bend over and take it?
Probably because of the concept of the league catering most to big market teams. It is all about revenue.

tobiazz

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
1:30 left, Howard lowering his shoulder, then traveling, then pushing an opponent well after the play. No calls. Sigh.

Manu4five

Veteran
Reaction score
Sorry for that loss to the Fakers. Of course the refs will help them get to the playoffs since they even helped them win some titles*

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Sorry for that loss to the Fakers. Of course the refs will help them get to the playoffs since they even helped them win some titles*

Bitter much? Not that you're wrong, they certainly don't get past the Kings one year and that absurd shot by Fisher against you guys was cheating with a capital C but it's not like you guys haven't caught a few league sponsored breaks too.

Steve

slinslin

Welcome to Amareca
Reaction score
It's not over.

Utah SHOULD beat Minnesota and then it is wide open still.

Utah plays Memphis at 8:00pm on Wednesday while the Lakers play Houston at 10:30.

Griffin

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
It's not over.
Utah plays Memphis at 8:00pm on Wednesday while the Lakers play Houston at 10:30.
The Lakers need one win to clinch a playoff berth. Houston is already in and will likely rest players. The Lakers are at home. The outcome is very predictable.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It's not over.

Utah SHOULD beat Minnesota and then it is wide open still.

the problem is Memphis SHOULD beat Utah on the last game of the season with HCA still to be decided for Memphis and the Lakers SHOULD beat Houston, who likely have very little at stake... and is a bad road team... and will be going against league sanctioned Los Angeles referees.

slinslin

Welcome to Amareca
Reaction score
If we beat Houston the Rockets must beat the Lakers because otherwise the Lakers will jump ahead of Houston.

Memphis does not own the tiebreakers, if they lose their next they have likely nothing to play for in the last game.

There are a lot of possible scenarios plus even if Houston rested Harden, the lakers are fully capable of laying an egg.

slinslin

Welcome to Amareca
Reaction score
Btw if we don't get the Lakers pick then it looks like Portland might draft as high as #10?

Gortat for Leonard and #10 sounds very tempting even in a weak draft and would give us draft positions across the board top 5, #10, #30, #50 and #57.

Too bad we didnt make the 2nd rounder for Marcus Morris at least top 35 protected.

Manu4five

Veteran
Reaction score
Bitter much? Not that you're wrong, they certainly don't get past the Kings one year and that absurd shot by Fisher against you guys was cheating with a capital C but it's not like you guys haven't caught a few league sponsored breaks too.

Steve

So explain why Stern would want the Spurs to win anything? This is only a local myth among Suns fans because of the Nash flop. Objective fans know that the Spurs should have won more titles.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
So explain why Stern would want the Spurs to win anything? This is only a local myth among Suns fans because of the Nash flop. Objective fans know that the Spurs should have won more titles.

Nobody that calls it a flop should use the word objective in the same post. Nash did not flop and only a blind, homer-on-steroids, Spurs fan could think he did. He couldn't have held his feet if his life depended on it. Yes, he did a little acting once he went to the floor and stayed down longer than he should have but it was far from a flop. And if anyone should know what a flop is, it's a Spurs fan.

The league has the right to act with discretion and it should have been used in that case just as it was used earlier in that series when Duncan left the bench. The Spurs should not have been put in a position to benefit by an incredibly cheap play. They should have found a way to punish us without rewarding you guys. Maybe you go on to win the series anyway, let's face it, Pop could always coach circles around Dantoni, but we'll never know for sure.

BTW, I don't think there was ever a conspiracy to put the Spurs on top and I didn't suggest it. However, anyone that even makes an effort to watch basketball without bias knows that Tim Duncan was treated better by the refs than perhaps any other player in the history of the game. I certainly don't remember anyone getting more unwarranted calls than Tim and that includes Michael. I never understood why but it happened from his rookie season on. If David Robinson had received even a fraction of the protection that Tim routinely received, Robinson would hold a much higher place in the history of this game.

Steve

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If we beat Houston the Rockets must beat the Lakers because otherwise the Lakers will jump ahead of Houston.

Memphis does not own the tiebreakers, if they lose their next they have likely nothing to play for in the last game.

There are a lot of possible scenarios plus even if Houston rested Harden, the lakers are fully capable of laying an egg.

right... just like you were confident that somehow Utah was going to beat OKC. Bottom line, the Rockets probably ain't losing to us and then they'll have nothing to play for in LA. And a motivated Laker squad, playing with the refs, at home against a Rockets team with nothing to play for is praying for a miracle IMO.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score

LOL... should have won MORE titles? like when? and the idea that Spurs didn't get preferential calls during their run is ridiculous. Bruce Bowen was allowed to molest anyone he wanted to during their run.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
... the Rockets probably ain't losing to us and then they'll have nothing to play for in LA. And a motivated Laker squad, playing with the refs, at home against a Rockets team with nothing to play for is praying for a miracle IMO.

I think the Suns can beat Houston at home if motivated... this is the key. The bigger question for me is will the Lakers lose again (not likely) and can Utah beat Memphis.

I have accepted long ago the Suns will not get a second lottery pick.

HooverDam

Reaction score
Silver lining if we don't get this years LA pick:

Don't we get next years LA pick instead? We can't get both in a row due to the Stiepen rule. So if LA makes the playoffs this year, we get their next year pick, which is top 5 protected.

With Kobe out part of next year, Nash aging, and hopefully Dwight going to Dallas or somewhere else, maybe LA is worse next year.

A #6-14 in next years deep draft is better than #14 this year.

Though this trade was insanely complicated, so maybe Ive got this wrong.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Silver lining if we don't get this years LA pick:

Don't we get next years LA pick instead? We can't get both in a row due to the Stiepen rule. So if LA makes the playoffs this year, we get their next year pick, which is top 5 protected.

With Kobe out part of next year, Nash aging, and hopefully Dwight going to Dallas or somewhere else, maybe LA is worse next year.

A #6-14 in next years deep draft is better than #14 this year.

Though this trade was insanely complicated, so maybe Ive got this wrong.

I understand the other further first round draft pick is conveyed in 2015.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I do believe the Suns get the Lakers second round draft pick in 2014.

95pro

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Eh I give up. Whether we get it or not I have no faith in our FO to make a quality pick after the top 3.