suns hoping for bobby jackson/TT for less than MLE

newfan101

Registered
Reaction score
sunsfn said:
Do we really want Bobby Jackson? The last time I saw him play he looked "DONE"! :shrug:

He should be fine. And yet if he isn't, and really is "done", we now have an extra 1st round pick next year that we can give away to a team to take the 2nd year of his minimum contract. They may even include some cash!!

jlove

AZ Born and Bred!!!
Reaction score
I wonder if Byron would take Jones for JR Smith straight up? Or possibly our TE and a future 2nd for Claxton (S&T @ $3.5 mil/yr for 2 years)?

slinslin

Welcome to Amareca
Reaction score
cheesebeef said:
we're not the Spurs or the Heat - ain't no way BJax signs for league minimum here.

If this team let's go of anyone sans JR, I'll be furious - especially after last night. It will prove bottom line dollar takes precedence over anything else IMO.

You are right we aren't we are actually more attractive than them to FAs according to a SI poll among players the Phoenix Suns are the team they would most like to play for.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
slinslin said:
You are right we aren't we are actually more attractive than them to FAs according to a SI poll among players the Phoenix Suns are the team they would most like to play for.

hey - I'd be more than happy to be wrong.

As far as SA's lore versus ours, well, I guess there's really only been one case so far and we lost Finley to them, even though he was offered the chance to start here. But hey, the proof's in the pudding and dessert is served in a couple days...

Joe Mama

Supporting Member
Reaction score
slinslin said:

yeah, I guess I didn't talk enough in my post about the attractive style of play for a guy like Bobby Jackson. I actually doubt he plays for the minimum anywhere unless that's all he is offered.

Joe

ASUCHRIS

ONE HEART BEAT!!!
Reaction score
Bobby Jackson, if healthy would be a perfect pickup for the Suns. He could play heavy minutes and we have seen how he can score in Sactown. Not sure how I feel about Tim Thomas if it means 5 and 25...I would concentrate on Boris, Leandro and Bobby Jackson...if after that Thomas wants to talk, great. With Amare and Kurt Thomas back, TT would be nice for depth but maybe another decent golem will want to get that ring. Should be an interesting off-season.

devilalum

Heavily Redacted
Reaction score
cheesebeef said:
I'd think a 5 year 25 million dollar deal would get TT back here.

Most defenitely.

When Thomas was saying he'd like to stay here at the end of the season he knew they couldn't offer more than this.

I think the Suns have a smaller number in mind.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Maybe it has already been discussed, but D Antoni was on the radio today (1060 AM) in Arizona and gave a rather detailed interview on the Suns, the Draft and the roster among other things.

Unfortunately, I was out of radio range and picked up only bits and pieces due to static. I did hear enough to know that it was a good interview. If anyone heard it I would like to know more detail about what he said.

I believe he talked about Shannon Brown, the New York pick, Shawn Marion, etc.

However, I believe D Antoni said he could not talk about TT because of Free Agency.

I really wish I could have heard it.

Edit: I believe someone (not sure who) mentioned Jumaine Jones (sp?) and Bobby Jackson as possible targets for the Suns.

Last edited:

jlove

AZ Born and Bred!!!
Reaction score
Mainstreet said:
Maybe it has already been discussed, but D Antoni was on the radio today (1060 AM) in Arizona and gave a rather detailed interview on the Suns, the Draft and the roster among other things.

Unfortunately, I was out of radio range and picked up only bits and pieces due to static. I did hear enough to know that it was a good interview. If anyone heard it I would like to know more detail about what he said.

I believe he talked about Shannon Brown, the New York pick, Shawn Marion, etc.

However, I believe D Antoni said he could not talk about TT because of Free Agency.

I really wish I could have heard it.

Edit: I believe someone (not sure who) mentioned Jumaine Jones (sp?) and Bobby Jackson as possible targets for the Suns.

I didn't catch the interview, but I know Gambo and Ash were talking about the Suns wanting to bring in Bobby Jackson. I actually called in and brought up several ideas about picking up another PG. I asked what their feelings were about the Suns possibly bringing in Allan Ray, since he went undrafted (didn't get any feedback on that one), I asked about a possibility of using the TE to trade for Dickau (probably wont ever play in the NBA again due to injury), Blake (who they said they would love to see the Suns try to get), and either Claxton or Hunter (they liked the idea of Hunter as well even though he is more of a SG, but can handle the PG duties in short intervals)

Jay Cardinal

Die Hard Cardinals Fan
Reaction score
No way I'm given TT a 5-year, 25 million contract. He had a MAX contract and faded into oblivion once. Whats to stop him to do it again. Call it a bad feeling but he coulde turn into a Howard Eisley-like salary burden. I dont want to bet our future financial flexibility on him. I'd rather see that invested in Diaw and Barbosa.

If Thomas wants a 5-year contract, it's probably not going to be in Phoenix. I think the Suns are thinking 2 yr maybe 3 yr deal. It will be interesting to see if they get a deal done. I'm not optomistic if he demands a 5 year deal.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I read about Jermaine Jones and wanted to throw up. If it's Jermaine Jones/Matt Harpring and Bobby Jackson versus TT - give me TT - at lkeast someone that's played in hig h pressure situations before and flourished in them (ECF and WCF).

cly2tw

Reaction score
Jumaine Jones is with the Lakers right? He plays the same position as JamesJ but I prefer our JJ better for his defense. Our JJ should also regain his shooting touch some and will be a real asset at the 3. However, I'd have no problem trading him for a backup guard.

Bobby J. is a very good shooter. If Grizz with Lowry on the team don't need him, we might get him s&t to us for a 2nd rounder at 10 mil for 4 years. Sign TT starting 4mil, we'll be still below the luxary tax limit.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Jlove, thanks for the feedback.

I thought Jumaine Jones was a name that I had not heard surface before.

My computer is giving me fits. I presume he is a FA.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Jay Cardinal said:
No way I'm given TT a 5-year, 25 million contract. He had a MAX contract and faded into oblivion once. Whats to stop him to do it again. Call it a bad feeling but he coulde turn into a Howard Eisley-like salary burden.

http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/players/3170/career;_ylt=Ao1GTJNe1ycnQPZlnC7U1NKkvLYF

can someone tell me where TT faded into oblivion after he signed his contract. IF anything, he was VERY consistent and actually IMPROVED his stats after he signed the contract. Someone signed him to a HUGE deal, but just because someone made a horrible financial decision doesn't mean that Thomas did nothing afterward. Look at his stats - he actually has been VERY CONSISTENT throughout his career, but because someone put a ridiculous price-tag on him, people perceive that he's a lazy bum. Why is that? He enver put up astronomical numbers before the contract and never did afterward. He is what he is - a GREAT option of the bench and a player who has a knack for playing well deep in the playoffs. In the regular season, the guy has averaged 11.9 points per game, 4 boards on .442 % shooting and .37 from 3, but in the playoffs, he raise shis game to 13.66, 5 boards, 47% shooting and 44% from 3.

The problem with Thomas is that he's perceived to have fallen off the face of the earth after he signed in his contract, when in reality - he just never really deserved ANY OF THAT KIND OF MONEY - but his play never suffered because of it. And who knows what the hell happened in Chicago - that's definitely a mystery.

Last edited:

Silverbullet

Reaction score
Skiles happened in Chi. Im all for TT and think some one made a huge mistake in giving him that huge contract. That might be a blessing for us knowing money might not be the biggest factor in resigning TT.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Silverbullet said:
Skiles happened in Chi. Im all for TT and think some one made a huge mistake in giving him that huge contract. That might be a blessing for us knowing money might not be the biggest factor in resigning TT.

EXACTLY. You can't fall from grace if there NEVER WAS a grace. JUst because someone throws a bundle of cash at you, doesn't mean you're worth it and EVERYONE thought that contract was ridiculous at the time.

hsandhu

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
I don't think tim thomas gets 5 years 25 million from the suns. It would be ok this year, but put 5 million on the roster next year, that's 71 million for 9 players. Even if they get rid of kurt thomas, that's 63 million with 4 spots left to fill. One of those spots would have to be a rookie making about 2.5 million (if they hopefully get a high atlanta pick).

It'll be interesting to see what happens, because david griffin basically acted like it was a foregone conclusion they had him signed after the draft, so i'm guessing they have talked and know around what it'll take to get done. I could seee around 4-5 million, but would be surprised if it was for a long period.

P.S.:This is assuming diaw extends for something around 49-50, and barbosa 30-31, those could be higher or lower, or maybe not at all..

And, btw I want lindsey hunter. He made something like 1.6 last year, so 2 million might be his range. However, it might be tough to get him from detroit.
If they move james jones they could offer as much as 3/3.5. He runs a decent point, but most importantly he still plays great defense. Many times this season, detroit looked at him for spurts to slow down dwyane wade, and even a guy much bigger than him in lebron. He would be great for stretches off the bench against parker/terry.

PhxGametime

Formerly Bball_31
Reaction score
Man I can think of 8-9 PG's in Draft (that were available), that I'd rather have... which means they'll sign him.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
hsandhu said:
I don't think tim thomas gets 5 years 25 million from the suns. It would be ok this year, but put 5 million on the roster next year, that's 71 million for 9 players. Even if they get rid of kurt thomas, that's 63 million with 4 spots left to fill. One of those spots would have to be a rookie making about 2.5 million (if they hopefully get a high atlanta pick).

It'll be interesting to see what happens, because david griffin basically acted like it was a foregone conclusion they had him signed after the draft, so i'm guessing they have talked and know around what it'll take to get done. I could seee around 4-5 million, but would be surprised if it was for a long period.

P.S.:This is assuming diaw extends for something around 49-50, and barbosa 30-31, those could be higher or lower, or maybe not at all..

I think this is Leo's last year here - I think he's the one the Suns are talking about not bidding against themselves. I also think that if we don't win it with everyone back, Marion's a goner and thus we won't be at that figure.

And I agreew ith you about HUnter - he'd be a good pickup for a year or two.

hsandhu

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
cheesebeef said:
And I agreew ith you about HUnter - he'd be a good pickup for a year or two.

A lineup of

nash
bell
marion
stat
diaw/kurt (depending on if they are playing a low post big)

with bench:

guards:
barbosa
hunter

frontline:
diaw/kurt
tim thomas

If healthy, that is a hell of a 9 man rotation, that most importantly can play more than one way (like dallas this year). If we have a healthy team, and go in with this lineup for next year, i'll worry about the future later.

Because with that lineup I don't sweat any team, not even san antonio (as we would finally have guys on our roster that would provide REASONABLE matchups with each of their big three, but would have guys on our side they couldn't match up, again as Dallas did this year). If we couldn't win a title with a healthy version of this team, it will have to be because a team was flat out better than us for 4 games.

Folster

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
carey said:
I'm hoping for Speedy Claxton and Tim Thomas.

I second that. I would like to see a three year contract with a team option for the fourth for TT.

Nasser22

Sec. 32: Go Devils!
Reaction score
I think Bobby Jackson can do pretty well. I know he's old but he's still put up solid numbers. He still has the talent and the Suns won't wear him out. He'll probably get less minutes here than the last few years so I think he'll stay fresh and bring something off the bench for about 15-20 minutes backing up Nash. He's an experienced player too and I'd really like to see him on the team.

Nasser22

Sec. 32: Go Devils!
Reaction score
Folster said:
I second that. I would like to see a three year contract with a team option for the fourth for TT.
I'd 3rd that but I doubt it's possible. Speedy might be asking for a good amount of money. Jackson would be easier to sign.

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
If we sign Jackson, it must be to a 1 year deal only. No more Brian Grant repeats. I don't want to be trading away picks in next year's draft to get rid of a second year of a Bobby Jackon deal.

I would love to have him hear as a player though

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
If we sign Jackson, it must be to a 1 year deal only. No more Brian Grant repeats. I don't want to be trading away picks in next year's draft to get rid of a second year of a Bobby Jackon deal.

I would love to have him hear as a player though