Suns interested in Brandon Bass

Gaddabout

Plucky Comic Relief
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Was wondering when I should post this since the Suns really didn't want this out there. Now it's out there so I thought I'd share. Bass is the player about which McDonough has been playing games with Ainge. He's really the player the Suns keyed on early, and Ainge knows it. The Celts are asking for ridiculous things. One I heard is the Suns would have had to take Jeff Green's contract as well.

The other more difficult thing is Bass' contract, which is outstanding. Maybe too outstanding. The Suns don't have a piece in which they can do a straight up trade. He's in that mid-range $6 to $6.5 mil category. The Suns don't want to give up Frye and the Celts don't really want him. So you start looking at how to make it work and you end up having to give up other pieces you don't want to give up -- Plumlee, Len, and a Morris twin.

I think it's at an impasse, but expect to hear the Suns involved with him until the Celts trade him or the deadline passes.

Just FYI.

sunsfan88

ASFN Icon
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Don't buy the rumor. Celtics are trading everyone and Suns need an upgrade at PF. The media knows this so they create a trade about McD's old team trading a PF Bass to the Suns.

They will justify it by saying that McD loved Bass in Boston so he wants to bring him to PHX when the truth could be that McD hated him cause he was a tweener.

And besides, Bass is not an upgrade over Kieff or Frye.

Jeff Green is terrible. He's a tweener and he has a bad contract. Definite no.

The Celtics are the worst trading option for the Suns in the NBA right now. They don't have even one player that the Suns would want.

OP
OP
Gaddabout

Gaddabout

Plucky Comic Relief
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The Celtics are the worst trading option for the Suns in the NBA right now. They don't have even one player that the Suns would want.

I'm telling you the discussion was real. It's not a rumor. McDonough went so far to joke about discussions he had with Ainge last month, not specifying a player.

The Suns like Bass. A lot of teams like Bass.

HooverDam

Reaction score
Not entirely sure what Bass does for the Suns. Is he the star player and interior scorer you need? No. So then you need to be careful not to give up too terribly much for him. He may be a better defender than Frye or the Morris twins, but thats about it. I don't think you block the Morris' development for a guy who's a marginal upgrade.

There's really no one on Bostons roster that I'd hope the Suns would be interested in.

elindholm

edited for content
Reaction score
Okafor for Bass and Humphries would work financially, so then the question would be whether the deal could be squared with picks.

Folster

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Bass still has another year left at nearly 7 million. That would cripple our cap space this offseason and having Bass isn't worth that. We simply don't have a non-expiring contract to send out to them to counteract the effect he would have on our cap this summer.

Arizona's Finest

Your My Favorite Mistake
Reaction score
Don't buy the rumor. Celtics are trading everyone and Suns need an upgrade at PF. The media knows this so they create a trade about McD's old team trading a PF Bass to the Suns.

They will justify it by saying that McD loved Bass in Boston so he wants to bring him to PHX when the truth could be that McD hated him cause he was a tweener.

And besides, Bass is not an upgrade over Kieff or Frye.

Jeff Green is terrible. He's a tweener and he has a bad contract. Definite no.

LOL noob

elindholm

edited for content
Reaction score
Yeah, Bass isn't a long-term solution, so either the Suns really are looking under every rock trying to shore up for a playoff run right now, or the rumor-mongers out there think that the Suns are doing that.

ASUCHRIS

ONE HEART BEAT!!!
Reaction score
Yuck. If we could get him for Okafor's expiring, I'd think about it, but I'd rather have a somewhat healthy Okafor. The idea of trading Len/Plumlee or either of the Morri for Bass should be a non starter.

What is outstanding about his contract? 6-7 mil seems just about right, considering what he brings to the table - role players aren't worth more than that, and Bass is the definition of a role player.

Errntknght

Reaction score
Bass is roughly comparable to Markieff and is on about the right contract for his skill level so its hard to see why the Suns would be interested. In fact, 'Kieff is a slightly better rebounder and one thing we definitely don't need is less rebounding. A solid pass.

OP
OP
Gaddabout

Gaddabout

Plucky Comic Relief
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I think the Suns were looking for some rebounding off the bench on the cheap. It may also have been part of a 3-way. Not really sure.

PhxGametime

Formerly Bball_31
Reaction score
How about:

Jeff Green, Avery Bradley, Brandon Bass, and Keith Bogans (expiring)

For

Emeka Okafor, Markieff Morris, Marcus Morris, and Ish Smith - along with Picks??

jandaman

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
From Gasol to Boozer etc

Then Bass?

Rather Okafor's expiring and keep the Frye, Morris twins PF rotation than get Bass... Who is a backup PF with no specialty.... Frye has 3pt range, Morris twins can confuse defenders etc... Bass isn't an impact defender nor a PF that punishes teams inside...

It's a side step move... That wrecks salary cap next season and takes minutes away from te current trio.

jlove

AZ Born and Bred!!!
Reaction score
The only one that I'm really interested in from the Celtics would be Bradley and Sullinger.

sunsfan88

ASFN Icon
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
The only one that I'm really interested in from the Celtics would be Bradley and Sullinger.

I like Bradley too. If Bledsoe is hellbent on getting the max and if Bradley is willing to sign for a $6M/yr contract, then I'd trade Bledsoe to Boston for Bradley plus some picks.

Catlover

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
I like Bradley too. If Bledsoe is hellbent on getting the max and if Bradley is willing to sign for a $6M/yr contract, then I'd trade Bledsoe to Boston for Bradley plus some picks.

That's how you build a mediocre NBA team. You take a potential superstar and you trade him for a player that has a ceiling of average starter. Unless you're getting superstar picks back in return it's a horrible idea. That's measuring Eric purely as a basketball player. If his injury problems or his willingness to sign are an issue then a trade down might be the way to go but otherwise you let him become the player he has the ability to become. Then and only then do you voluntarily trade him. It makes no sense to discount your own assets.

All this love for Bradley and Sullinger and Bass (not to mention Rondo, Green and ROY Kelly Olynyk) along with all the negativity surrounding our own roster makes you wonder why we have 14 fewer losses than they do. Maybe it's because the East is so much tougher?

Pay him the Max. Every team that pursues him will make that offer.

devilalum

Heavily Redacted
Reaction score
Pay him the Max. Every team that pursues him will make that offer.

But the max offer another team can make is considerably less than the max offer the Suns can give. By matching the Suns can save some money. The other team may structure it in some crazy way but the overall payout will be less.

Also aren't there some kind of cap games the Suns can play by waiting that might allow them to sign a free agent then match Bledsoe?

Catlover

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
But the max offer another team can make is considerably less than the max offer the Suns can give. By matching the Suns can save some money. The other team may structure it in some crazy way but the overall payout will be less.

Also aren't there some kind of cap games the Suns can play by waiting that might allow them to sign a free agent then match Bledsoe?

Max was probably the wrong word to use. Pay him whatever it takes to keep him in Phoenix and keep him happy assuming the medical staff supports that decision. It's a pretty safe bet that other teams will offer them their max.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Yes.

Read "The secret sauce" section from the brightsideofthesun article dated 11-2-13 at the link below. It explains very clearly that there is a methodology. It is well worth the read.

http://www.brightsideofthesun.com/2...date-lots-of-recent-activity-still-adds-up-to

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Yes.

Read "The secret sauce" section from the brightsideofthesun article dated 11-2-13 at the link below. It explains very clearly that there is a methodology. It is well worth the read.

http://www.brightsideofthesun.com/2...date-lots-of-recent-activity-still-adds-up-to

Interesting thing is that since that article, the Suns draft pick status has changed. Instead of having $8 million in cap hold for draft picks, they will have only $4 million. That gives them $17 million in cap space. That's close enough to be in the running for ANY free agent this summer.

SirStefan32

Krycek, Alex Krycek
Reaction score
It's really too bad there are no free agents worth a max this summer (Lebron being the lone exception, but he's staying in Miami.)

Lance Stephenson and Greg Monroe are the only players I am even remotely interested in, and neither of them is enough to get us to the next level.

I am really warming up the idea of giving Minni whatever they want (Dragic being off-limits) for K-Love.

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
It's really too bad there are no free agents worth a max this summer (Lebron being the lone exception, but he's staying in Miami.)

Lance Stephenson and Greg Monroe are the only players I am even remotely interested in, and neither of them is enough to get us to the next level.

I am really warming up the idea of giving Minni whatever they want (Dragic being off-limits) for K-Love.

I think Chris Bosh might be interesting. The same article said that he could probably be had for $15 million. He is only 29. He has a great combo, inside/outside game. His numbers are down, but playing with LeBron and Wade will do that to you. He has been a 24 a game scorer and double digit rebounder. He is also a much better defender the K-Love. (http://nba.si.com/2013/12/18/court-vision-chris-bosh-miami-heat-defense/) He is not as young, but probably more attainable. Laker's fans believe that KLove to LA in the summer of 2015 is a done deal. Not sure about that. It scares me a little.

Add Bosh, draft a pf or sf (someone like Capela in the first round, maybe Chris Walker in the second). This could also make the Morris twins completely expendable.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SportsBetJake