Suns Not the Only Team Interested in Hill

azirish

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
http://www.freep.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20070624/SPORTS03/706240644/1048/SPORTS

After that matter is settled, watch for the Pistons to take a dip into the free-agent race for former Piston Grant Hill, who sounds ready to leave Orlando.

Hill has said his priorities are playing somewhere he can win a title while avoiding strain on body with light practices.

The Phoenix Suns fit that wish list, but the Pistons offer a similar package. Factor in that Hill and Dumars are good friends, and that the Pistons have the benefit of playing in the conference with the easier road to the NBA Finals, and it seems they will be considered.

Fortunately, the Suns can offer somethings the Pistons can't.

1. Hill could start in games where Marion is at PF (ie small ball).

2. The Suns run more and don't settle for a "grind it out" approach like the Pistons do.

3. Nash is much more likely to get Hill open shots than Billips would.

4. The Suns are already a much better team than the Pistons.

Unfortunately, the Pistons can offer a lot more money.

Goldfield

Formally known as BEERZ
Reaction score
I dont know if it will happen, But I would really love to see Hill play on this team. He is fun to watch & a great guy.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
http://www.freep.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20070624/SPORTS03/706240644/1048/SPORTS

Fortunately, the Suns can offer somethings the Pistons can't.

1. Hill could start in games where Marion is at PF (ie small ball).

2. The Suns run more and don't settle for a "grind it out" approach like the Pistons do.

3. Nash is much more likely to get Hill open shots than Billips would.

4. The Suns are already a much better team than the Pistons.

Unfortunately, the Pistons can offer a lot more money.

5. The Suns practices aren't really that tough.

Covert Rain

Father smelt of elderberries!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I really hope we get Grant Hill. I mean if anything D'Antoni won't have an excuse to use his bench more. Plus I think Grant Hill still has plenty left in the tank to contribute.

OP
OP
azirish

azirish

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
I really hope we get Grant Hill. I mean if anything D'Antoni won't have an excuse to use his bench more. Plus I think Grant Hill still has plenty left in the tank to contribute.

If he's willing to be a Sun at minimum salary, it will take about 30 seconds to close the deal. I'm not sure if the Suns can afford much more financially, which is my only concern.

Is there any downside? Sure

1. Marion might pout. They've survied this before.

2. It means more small ball. Hill is much better than Q and they won 63 games and got to the WCF with a similar lineup. If anything, Hill would give the Suns some of the half court offense they had with JJ (less three point shooting but more slashing)

3. Hill may not be as good as a one on one defender as Jones. Yes, but he played on a very good defensive team with success and Jones is hardly a lock down defender.

4. Hill does not shoot the three. Yes, but he he hits a very high percentage of his mid range shots, so it will not be any easier to pack the paint. If anything, his ability to get to the line should more than offset the reduced spreading of the floor.

5. Hill Is Getting Older. Aren't we all? It is not like he is going to be expected to play 30 to 35 minutes. His role would be in the 20-25 minute range which would reduce the wear and tear. The real key will be having him ready for the playoffs.

6. Hill Is No Longer A Top Rebounder. His rebounds per minute were not very impressive last season, but he was used primarily at SG. As it is he's about the same as Jones and better than Bell who played a lot of SF.

7. Adding Another Big Name Player Could Hurt the Team Chemistry. Hill has a reputation for being a super character guy and might actually help by reminding the complainers about just how good they have it.

The Spurs showed how adding older guys like Finley and Barry can make a huge difference in how the team operates. The playoffs generally go to the most experienced team.

Last edited:
OP
OP
azirish

azirish

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
great point.
the only reason i see Hill going to detroit is a MUCH easier road to the finals

I'm not so sure. Weber is contemplating retirement, Billips is expected to opt out of his contract and may move, and Murray might opt out.

If Webber wants to keep at it, he'll be an unrestricted free agent. Dumars has stated that he is happy he got Webber last season, but he has never committed to keeping him around for another year.

And considering Webber was unhappy with his role on the team at the end of the season, it stands to reason he will be playing somewhere else -- or not playing at all -- next season.