Suns Playoff Run Thread

Magnus

Veteran
Reaction score
I don't see what's so bad about wanting to watch the Suns some more in the playoffs. Anything can happen in the playoffs. Memphis swept the Spurs last season...

I'd rather see the Suns make 8th and atleast try to compete than be 9th this season. I'm not saying I'm content with a .500 record, but that's the best they can do this season. Being 9th compared to 8th won't make a lot of difference lottery wise.

Also, missing the playoffs won't miraculously convince Sarver to sell the team, so there's really no upside.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I don't see what's so bad about wanting to watch the Suns some more in the playoffs. Anything can happen in the playoffs. Memphis swept the Spurs last season...

I guess the difference for me is that if you were a Memphis fan, you were watching a young team who was red hot go into the playoffs and mix it up for the first time and really start building something as opposed to this old ass team that's going nowhere who will likely get the ever living snot beat out of them by the Thunder or Spurs.

Covert Rain

Father smelt of elderberries!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
no it's not. it's embarassing being a team that will NEVER amount to anything because they are content trying to be .500. eh.. even that's not embarassing.

To take this further....it's embarrassing being a team whose goal year and year out is to be entertaining and satisfied with a playoff berth even if the chances are zero for a title.

It's like playing poker and you never go all in. You ante up, might match a bet or two but when it comes to going for it all....you always check or fold and at the end of the day are satisfied with breaking even.

elindholm

edited for content
Reaction score
There's another consideration, which is that I've read rumors that Gentry may not be renewed. I think Gentry has done a great job, and he has gotten things out of the Suns' bench players that most of us would not have thought possible. If sneaking into the playoffs makes it more likely that Gentry will be renewed, it's worth it.

Superbone

Phoenix native; Lifelong Suns Fan
Supporting Member
Reaction score
There's another consideration, which is that I've read rumors that Gentry may not be renewed. I think Gentry has done a great job, and he has gotten things out of the Suns' bench players that most of us would not have thought possible. If sneaking into the playoffs makes it more likely that Gentry will be renewed, it's worth it.

Agreed. I think he's done a heck of a job with what he's been given.

Covert Rain

Father smelt of elderberries!
Supporting Member
Reaction score

If this team had some grand plan to go and get a big name coach, I have no problem with them moving on from Gentry. IMO that goes along way in attracting free agents and building long term success via the draft if the coach knows talent.

However, I find that hard to believe. What big name coach is going to come here with the cupboards stocked like they are? I also agree that Gentry has done a decent job considering the deck he has.

Last edited:

boisesuns

Standing Tall And Traded
Reaction score
I also agree that Gentry has done a decent job considering the deck he has.

Anyone who can come into a poker game and win with half the time with a bunch of 2's, 3's and an old Ace, gets some props in my book.

sunsfan88

ASFN Icon
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Isn't it funny how Pop still hates the Suns so much?

He won't play Ginobili, Parker and Duncan against the Jazz cause he wants Utah to win and make sure PHX doesn't make the playoffs because the thinks the Suns will upset the Spurs in the 1st rd if PHX makes it.

Zobaczcie suki

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

He won't play Ginobili, Parker and Duncan against the Jazz cause he wants Utah to win and make sure PHX doesn't make the playoffs because the thinks the Suns will upset the Spurs in the 1st rd if PHX makes it.

Serious? You'd think he'd be more concerned about trying to ensure home court advantage viz a viz OK City. With as jumbled as the bottom is, it is very hard to predict at this point who will end up 6-9.

Folster

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

Or... the Spurs were playing on the 2nd night of a back-to-back against the same team (Utah) and they wanted to rest their aging stars. It was also their third game in 4 nights. I highly doubt Popovich has any real fear of the Suns.

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Wow. Suns are playing better. Is it possible that these new players just needed to get in sync with one another. It seems that everyone is producing fairly consistently. If the season had started after the all-star break, the Suns would be one of the top teams in the league.

sunsfan88

ASFN Icon
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Serious? You'd think he'd be more concerned about trying to ensure home court advantage viz a viz OK City. With as jumbled as the bottom is, it is very hard to predict at this point who will end up 6-9.

Or... the Spurs were playing on the 2nd night of a back-to-back against the same team (Utah) and they wanted to rest their aging stars. It was also their third game in 4 nights. I highly doubt Popovich has any real fear of the Suns.
I thought it was fairly obvious that Pop wanted to lose tonight no matter what. They could have still won without playing Ginobili, Parker and Duncan.

Pop should have stuck with Splitter, Diaw and Leonard but he chose to go with Green, Blair and Jackson and of course they fall flat on their faces.

I'm willing to bet that Pop rests his big 3 again on Thursday...against Memphis, a team that we're competing with for playoffs....

sunsfan88

ASFN Icon
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
no it's not. it's embarassing being a team that will NEVER amount to anything because they are content trying to be .500. eh.. even that's not embarassing.
Eh I guess that's why its called opinions.

I have friends who are Memphis and OKC fans and every time I talk smack to them I hate hearing "At least we can get to the playoffs."

The point of the game is to make the playoffs and then try to win in the playoffs. While I agree that we should have hanged our roster drastically to make it a championship team, it is what it is and right now we have a chance to go the playoffs and end up with a draft pick around #15-#18 (according to the experts) or get a pick that ranges between #13-#14.

I would rather play the extra basketball and get a bit later pick because honestly, I don't even see it as a big difference.

95pro

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
they all win tonight: Denver, utah and houston

jibikao

Reaction score

Oh my god, I came here specifically to post this. I have the EXACT same feeling as you do!!! Suns is fighting for that 8th spot and I feel Spurs is somehow unwillingly to fight against Suns in the first round (even though Suns has only won one series for the past what? 4-5 series? lol)

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Eh I guess that's why its called opinions.

I have friends who are Memphis and OKC fans and every time I talk smack to them I hate hearing "At least we can get to the playoffs."

what the hell could you possibly say to talk smack to them?

The point of the game is to make the playoffs and then try to win in the playoffs. While I agree that we should have hanged our roster drastically to make it a championship team, it is what it is and right now we have a chance to go the playoffs and end up with a draft pick around #15-#18 (according to the experts) or get a pick that ranges between #13-#14.

I would rather play the extra basketball and get a bit later pick because honestly, I don't even see it as a big difference.

ok.

keep talking smack to people that can easily smack you down. that should be as much fun as watching us get our asses swept out of the first round.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Oh my god, I came here specifically to post this. I have the EXACT same feeling as you do!!! Suns is fighting for that 8th spot and I feel Spurs is somehow unwillingly to fight against Suns in the first round (even though Suns has only won one series for the past what? 4-5 series? lol)

yeah... Pop is chicken of us. Do you guys have big foam fingers like $arver too?

give me a break.

OP
OP
jagu

jagu

#13 - Legendary
Reaction score
I don't know what to think, one day I'm like screw it Suns are going nowhere and the next day I'm like okay this team could upset a few teams down the stretch here and make it.

Ah the life of a Suns fan..

82CardsGrad

7 x 70
Reaction score
Got tickets on the floor for next thursday's game against the Clips... Man I want that game to mean something!! The next two games against Memphis and Houston are huge!!

The next 4-5 games for everyone will be the ultimate determination as Denver, Dallas, Utah, Memphis, Houston and the Suns all play each other... what a ride!

Zobaczcie suki

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
So do we move into #8 spot if Dallas miraculously loses to Sacramento tonight? Or do they have the tie breaker on us?

Zobaczcie suki

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Nevermind, Dallas has beat us 3 out of 4 this year. So we would have the same record, but they would be in #8. Dang tiebreakers, could keep us out this year unless we get ahead of people outright

sunsfan88

ASFN Icon
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Not to worry Sacramento will make sure Dallas doesn't lose.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SportsBetJake