Suns Playoff Run Thread

sunsfan88

ASFN Icon
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
This team has overachieved. Nash has said that at least 5 times this season. Everyone knows it including Sarver.

Covert Rain

Father smelt of elderberries!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
This team has overachieved. Nash has said that at least 5 times this season. Everyone knows it including Sarver.

A team that will more than likely fail to reach the playoffs is overachieving!?!?!?!?!?

Oh...how fast the Suns have fallen.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Well, first off, since I'm already on record for stating this team has underachieved, I think we can re-write that "everyone knows it including Sarver" comment. Secondly, can you point me to the 5 + times that Nash has said they were overachieving?

I remember Nash saying this team isn't graced with great talent but I don't recall any "we've overachieved" comments and I certainly think someone would have posted a few of them if he had done it as often as you claim. I think this team is slightly above average albeit with a dismal future. Slightly above average ought to get us into the playoffs and if we're overachieving it ought to have us fighting for a first round home series rather than on the outside looking in.

Steve

Griffin

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Seems like every time the Suns get really close to that playoff spot, they lose a game and fall right back where they started. They aren't getting much help from the other teams, just like last season. Five teams battling for the final three spots, and it still looks like the Suns will be one of the two teams out. A must-win game at Houston coming up.

As for next season, I really don't see this trend continuing. Either the Suns will be really good, or really bad. The middle ground will no longer be an option because I do believe Nash will leave if the Suns don't add at least one all-star level player.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Seems like every time the Suns get really close to that playoff spot, they lose a game and fall right back where they started. They aren't getting much help from the other teams, just like last season. Five teams battling for the final three spots, and it still looks like the Suns will be one of the two teams out. A must-win game at Houston coming up.

As for next season, I really don't see this trend continuing. Either the Suns will be really good, or really bad. The middle ground will no longer be an option because I do believe Nash will leave if the Suns don't add at least one all-star level player.

one all-star level player won't make them really good. a big three of Nash, Gortat and say... Eric Gordon (probably the only pretty good FA available) is a six seed... maybe a 5 at best. In other words... a complete playoff pretender.

ASUCHRIS

ONE HEART BEAT!!!
Reaction score
one all-star level player won't make them really good. a big three of Nash, Gortat and say... Eric Gordon (probably the only pretty good FA available) is a six seed... maybe a 5 at best. In other words... a complete playoff pretender.

Even better, we'll have to overpay for both Gordon and Nash, and lose all of our flexibility. Yay! Can't wait for it to happen.

Griffin

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
It's possible, but then again, the Suns currently are two games out of the sixth seed with the roster they have and the horrible first half of the season they endured. I would think that adding an all-star scorer like Gordon, assuming he stays healthy, would mean more than a two game improvement in the win column.

Zobaczcie suki

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Golden State leading Dallas early. Too bad that won't last.

But it sure was nice watching the end of the Bulls/Heat game and the Bulls making the Heat their biotch.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I've gone through the same equations regarding playoffs/no playoffs, and ultimately I've come to the same conclusion. It's just really hard to get excited for the team with the stench of Sarver and his failures permeating the team.

I hate feeling this level of apathy towards the team as the Suns are probably my favorite team, but everything about the team right now seems so half assed, amateurish and hopeless. Barring a minor miracle, we'll be striving for mediocrity at best for a long time. Not good times.

I think the above speaks for the feelings of most on this board.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I agree with your first sentence but not the rest of your post. I think this team is better than last year's team and they have underachieved by quite a bit. They are now, finally, playing to their potential but it appears to be too late. I'm not too brokenhearted by that fact. Even playing to it's potential this team isn't capable of going very far in the postseason. Still, the second half of this season has been a lot more fun to watch than the first half so, playoff success or not, it would have been nice if they could have played to their level a little sooner.

Steve

Watching the improved play of the Suns the second half of the season doesn't mean much long term. The Suns are a sinking ship without a captain to right it.

sunsfan88

ASFN Icon
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Well, first off, since I'm already on record for stating this team has underachieved, I think we can re-write that "everyone knows it including Sarver" comment. Secondly, can you point me to the 5 + times that Nash has said they were overachieving?

I remember Nash saying this team isn't graced with great talent but I don't recall any "we've overachieved" comments and I certainly think someone would have posted a few of them if he had done it as often as you claim. I think this team is slightly above average albeit with a dismal future. Slightly above average ought to get us into the playoffs and if we're overachieving it ought to have us fighting for a first round home series rather than on the outside looking in.

Steve

"To be over .500 right now, we've overachieved," Nash said. "We are gaining confidence and we believe that we can keep winning. The spirit is good. Guys are sticking together and playing hard.

http://espn.go.com/nba/recap/_/id/320404026/phoenix-suns-vs-utah-jazz

"We have 15 games left and we have to regroup and find a way to win games as soon as possible," Nash said. "We have overachieved thus far, but we are in a position to crawl back into the playoffs and prove everybody wrong."

http://stats.washingtonpost.com/nba/preview.asp?g=2012040121&home=21&vis=3

“Obviously, I’d love to have Boris on the team,” Nash said of Diaw, whom San Antonio lured by offering more playing time and a better chance for the postseason than Phoenix. “I’m happy. We’ve got ourselves a chance to make the playoffs. We’ve overachieved thus far, frankly. We always want more. We always want to do better.”

http://tucsoncitizen.com/arizona-ne...in-for-injured-grant-hill-in-starting-lineup/

This is the 2nd time in the past week or so that I have proved you wrong (first that Brook Lopez injury thing) Perhaps its time for you to start doing the research before asking me to do it?

Last edited:

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Steve Nash is the sun, stars and the moon. Who cares if he is 39, there are surely enough stupid fans that will put money in Sarvers pocket again for bringing out the same mediocre product once more.

I think most of the fans see the writing on the wall but can do nothing to change it. Nash should have been moved when Amare left.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
You're applying logic and reason to a man who may very well have none. I think the guy's ego is great enough that he'll be just fine when it comes to rationalizing away this team's failures. OTOH (and I'm sure this is a part of your point in the first place), no matter how he deludes himself, if this team continues to lose fans he'll have a hard time looking the other way when the reality of empty seats hits his bottom line.

Steve

The more I read this post the more I feel depressed about the Suns future.

However, if there are ownership groups that will buy the Dodgers for 2 billion dollars there must be other groups that would buy the Suns and give Sarver a profit.

http://nbcsports.msnbc.com/id/46875915/ns/sports-nba/

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
"To be over .500 right now, we've overachieved," Nash said. "We are gaining confidence and we believe that we can keep winning. The spirit is good. Guys are sticking together and playing hard.

http://espn.go.com/nba/recap/_/id/320404026/phoenix-suns-vs-utah-jazz

"We have 15 games left and we have to regroup and find a way to win games as soon as possible," Nash said. "We have overachieved thus far, but we are in a position to crawl back into the playoffs and prove everybody wrong."

http://stats.washingtonpost.com/nba/preview.asp?g=2012040121&home=21&vis=3

“Obviously, I’d love to have Boris on the team,” Nash said of Diaw, whom San Antonio lured by offering more playing time and a better chance for the postseason than Phoenix. “I’m happy. We’ve got ourselves a chance to make the playoffs. We’ve overachieved thus far, frankly. We always want more. We always want to do better.”

http://tucsoncitizen.com/arizona-ne...in-for-injured-grant-hill-in-starting-lineup/

This is the 2nd time in the past week or so that I have proved you wrong (first that Brook Lopez injury thing) Perhaps its time for you to start doing the research before asking me to do it?

I think of myself more as management.

Steve

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It's possible, but then again, the Suns currently are two games out of the sixth seed with the roster they have and the horrible first half of the season they endured. I would think that adding an all-star scorer like Gordon, assuming he stays healthy, would mean more than a two game improvement in the win column.

the above assumes that a) the teams ahead of us do nothing (like the Mavs who have a bunch of cap space and are actually an attractive FA destination for a guy like Deron Williams) and b) that nash wouldn't continue to see his play slightly drop as his scoring has has every year the last three seasons and c) even if we have a modest win improvement, the top 5 seeds are all much younger and MUCH MORE talented.

but yay! We'd be in the running for sixth and maybe five! Believing that a core rallying around a Nash/Gortat/Gordon ********* is better than a likely Dirk/Deron/Whoever, Kobe/Pau/Bynum, Randolph/Gay/Conley/Gasol, Parker/Ginobli/Duncan or OKC's ridiculous plethora of talent is highly unrealistic.

desertdawg

ASFN Icon
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
the above assumes that a) the teams ahead of us do nothing (like the Mavs who have a bunch of cap space and are actually an attractive FA destination for a guy like Deron Williams) and b) that nash wouldn't continue to see his play slightly drop as his scoring has has every year the last three seasons and c) even if we have a modest win improvement, the top 5 seeds are all much younger and MUCH MORE talented.

but yay! We'd be in the running for sixth and maybe five! Believing that a core rallying around a Nash/Gortat/Gordon ********* is better than a likely Dirk/Deron/Whoever, Kobe/Pau/Bynum, Randolph/Gay/Conley/Gasol, Parker/Ginobli/Duncan or OKC's ridiculous plethora of talent is highly unrealistic.
If we dont rule we should suck, I want to lose instead of trying, don't let the chips fall way they ...you still suck. If you wanna quit, buy a team and quit, if not shut it sacka, tired of that ****. your mama if you wanna talk about not making the playoffs, Sarver sucks ass, just shut the **** up and root for your team! WTF

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If we dont rule we should suck, I want to lose instead of trying, don't let the chips fall way they ...you still suck. If you wanna quit, buy a team and quit, if not shut it sacka, tired of that ****. your mama if you wanna talk about not making the playoffs, Sarver sucks ass, just shut the **** up and root for your team! WTF

WTF is right.

sunsfan88

ASFN Icon
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Houston Plays Denver the next two games, this means that regardless of what happens one of those teams will have enough losses to tie us or be below us. If they split it Houston's tied with us, if Denver wins twice (best case scenario) Houston's a game behind, if Houston wins twice we're tied with Denver and a game back of Houston. We also have a game remaining against Denver so that will also be a deciding factor.

The Suns have a very legitimate chance of making the playoffs, obviously the two games against the Spurs and OKC are going to be tough, but even if they lose those and are 5-2 we still can get lucky and have Houston, Denver or the Mavs. This is assuming that Pop rests his starters in the regular season finale so we will be able to get the easy win at home.

And if we win against the Spurs tomorrow, that would completely convince me that the Suns will make the playoffs. Here's to hoping.

Covert Rain

Father smelt of elderberries!
Supporting Member
Reaction score

LOL, I'm thinking my post was around my 11th beer last night, I be getting crazy! :)

Drunk posting...and owning up to it. That was pretty damn funny desertdawg. LOL.

:cheers:

sunsfan88

ASFN Icon
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Playoff watch

You must be registered for see images attach

Zobaczcie suki

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Thanks for the side by schedules, that puts all the games to worry about in one location!

I am going to try NOT to watch the game tonight, except for the last few minutes if I can. That seemed to work pretty well last night.

If we can pull off the win tonight, I am hoping for some huge home crowds to be an X factor for us in those 5 home games. Would be nice if the Suns fans showed up as it seems like they havent been a factor all year.

Latest posts

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SportsBetJake