Suns Playoff Run Thread

95pro

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
dallas beats sacramento. just have to wait and see tomorrow.

MrYeahBut

4 Food groups: beans, chili, cheese, bacon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Eh I guess that's why its called opinions.

I have friends who are Memphis and OKC fans and every time I talk smack to them I hate hearing "At least we can get to the playoffs."

The point of the game is to make the playoffs and then try to win in the playoffs. While I agree that we should have hanged our roster drastically to make it a championship team, it is what it is and right now we have a chance to go the playoffs and end up with a draft pick around #15-#18 (according to the experts) or get a pick that ranges between #13-#14.

I would rather play the extra basketball and get a bit later pick because honestly, I don't even see it as a big difference.

Was 'hanged' instead of 'changed our roster' some type of Freudian slip?

Joe Mama

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I honestly wonder about some of you guys. First of all, I really enjoy watching this team. I haven't spent any time looking at salaries, 2012 free agency, etc., but I would probably prefer keeping this team together. It seems to me that for every Oklahoma City there are two or three other teams rebuilding for the last 5 years with no end in sight.

There are people who really think we ought to fire gentry? This I don't understand at all. I mean I really don't get it. I completely understand the gripes about the front office and especially Robert Sarver. I think gentry is a fantastic coach though. Maybe it's because I was only catching pieces of games here and there until the college season ended. I guess I'm lucky because I didn't get to see very much of them when they were really struggling earlier in the season.

They are going to have a hard time making the playoffs. They've got a rough schedule to finish the season, and with the exception of maybe Dallas the teams ahead of them are playing pretty well. If they do pull it off they'll go into the playoffs really hot.

Joe

desertdawg

ASFN Icon
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
I honestly wonder about some of you guys. First of all, I really enjoy watching this team. I haven't spent any time looking at salaries, 2012 free agency, etc., but I would probably prefer keeping this team together. It seems to me that for every Oklahoma City there are two or three other teams rebuilding for the last 5 years with no end in sight.

There are people who really think we ought to fire gentry? This I don't understand at all. I mean I really don't get it. I completely understand the gripes about the front office and especially Robert Sarver. I think gentry is a fantastic coach though. Maybe it's because I was only catching pieces of games here and there until the college season ended. I guess I'm lucky because I didn't get to see very much of them when they were really struggling earlier in the season.

They are going to have a hard time making the playoffs. They've got a rough schedule to finish the season, and with the exception of maybe Dallas the teams ahead of them are playing pretty well. If they do pull it off they'll go into the playoffs really hot.

Joe
I am not a fan of Gentry at all.com I too like this team, always fun to watch when Nash is around, sometimes hard to watch, that's the NBA, nobody goes 18 and 0. Gentry tried to bite Dantonys style, plain and simple. That didn't work, especially after the team changed. He plays folks continously that are struggling, it's a night by night thing once you get in the second half IMO. Coaches that reward first half play with second half minutes get the value IMO. Certain circumstances can change that but it should stand in princable, Gentry does his best coaching when his players get hot...what does that mean? Fourth quarter melt downs, unless we go Frye Guy buzzer beater flook style.

I watch the games too, I see a team playing hard on the court and I feel this team could do far better with a different coach. I won't set up a poll on who's better or who's a better fit for Phx, just my opinion. Gentry is a nice guy and all (knows way more about B-ball than I do), but this is chess, not checkers. He gets out coached often.

This is coming from the cat that had the Suns going 36 and 30 (in some thread in here). I hope I didn't just jinx it , I probably did , but I be down for mines.

Last edited:

desertdawg

ASFN Icon
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Anything can happen in the playoffs, Durant could punch his hunchback in the nose, disrupting the whole team. Injuries, suspensions (usually Suns players :(), bad calls, freak games from dudes, and....momentum.

desertdawg

ASFN Icon
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Got tickets on the floor for next thursday's game against the Clips... Man I want that game to mean something!! The next two games against Memphis and Houston are huge!!

The next 4-5 games for everyone will be the ultimate determination as Denver, Dallas, Utah, Memphis, Houston and the Suns all play each other... what a ride!

Sweet!

ASUCHRIS

ONE HEART BEAT!!!
Reaction score
but I would probably prefer keeping this team together. It seems to me that for every Oklahoma City there are two or three other teams rebuilding for the last 5 years with no end in sight.

Joe[/QUOTE]

our bi-annual Joe sighting! :D

Point 1 - Keep this team together? For what? Either you're competing for a championship or building toward one. We're clearly doing neither, as we have zero shot at winning a championship, and we sure as hell ain't stocking young talent. Purgatory is far worse than either option, and apathy towards the Suns throughout the valley confirms that.

I can't imagine how anyone can have qualms with Gentry. He's put together a decent chicken salad with...well you know what. Take Nash off this team, and we're picking in the top 3. There is just no real talent outside of Nash than Gortat. Dud and ***** could be decent options off the bench, but other than that, this team is atrocious. Gentry actually has them focused on D, and has slowed down the pace to suit the team. He's far more the solution than the problem.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Joe

our bi-annual Joe sighting! :D

Point 1 - Keep this team together? For what? Either you're competing for a championship or building toward one. We're clearly doing neither, as we have zero shot at winning a championship, and we sure as hell ain't stocking young talent. Purgatory is far worse than either option, and apathy towards the Suns throughout the valley confirms that.

I can't imagine how anyone can have qualms with Gentry. He's put together a decent chicken salad with...well you know what. Take Nash off this team, and we're picking in the top 3. There is just no real talent outside of Nash than Gortat. Dud and ***** could be decent options off the bench, but other than that, this team is atrocious. Gentry actually has them focused on D, and has slowed down the pace to suit the team. He's far more the solution than the problem.[/QUOTE]

agreed on all counts. Gentry's the problem? The guy has actually made chicken salad out of chicken ****.

TJ

Frank Kaminsky is my Hero.
Reaction score

Joe

I agree about Gentry. I firmly believe he is a Top 10 coach in this league.

The guy is well respected in the locker room and gets the most out of the lackluster talent given to him by the front office. Figuratively speaking, he was given a Prius to compete in a drag race and is within arm's reach of a playoff spot, when it appeared as if we were closer to the NBA's cellar.

I disagree with your assessment on keeping the team together as it is currently structured. Clearly, this team does not have the talent to compete for a championship, which for a team that has been called "the best professional sports franchise to never win a championship," the goal is simple: win a championship, by any means possible. Our superstar player, Steve Nash, is on the sharp decline in his career. The next best player is Gortat, while being one of the top centers in the NBA, would be the third option on most elite teams.

I'm now of the mindset that we should keep Steve Nash for the next year or two depending on his health. At 38 years old, he is still the best distributor in the NBA and John Stockton proved that court vision does not necessarily depreciate by age 40. But at this rate, he needs to be surrounded with talent to thrive (which is why if he does leave in free agency, Miami would be a perfect fit). If we can retain Nash, add a top-tier free agent, one or two good contributors, and keep role players such as Shannon Brown and Telfair this offseason, I like our chances.

Last edited:

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I agree about Gentry. I firmly believe he is a Top 10 coach in this league.

The guy is well respected in the locker room and gets the most out of the lackluster talent given to him by the front office. Figuratively speaking, he was given a Prius to compete in a drag race and is within arm's reach of a playoff spot, when it appeared as if we were closer to the NBA's cellar.

I disagree with your assessment on keeping the team together as it is currently structured. Clearly, this team does not have the talent to compete for a championship, which for a team that has been called "the best professional sports franchise to never win a championship," the goal is simple: win a championship, by any means possible. Our superstar player, Steve Nash, is on the sharp decline in his career.

this is the biggest problem... our superstar player isn't even close to being a superstar anymore.

The next best player is Gortat, while being one of the top centers in the NBA, would be the third option on most elite teams.

and on most elite teams, he wouldn't even be the third option... unless you have two SUPER-SUPERSTARS as your first two options. We don't even have one. I mean... even on teams with uber-superstars like LA, OKC, Miami, SA... hell... even Boston, Gortat isn't in the class of their 3rd options and even with teams like Memphis, he wouldn't be in the class of their third options. He's a really solid C, but a third option on a Title contender where one of your superstars is a 38 year old Steve Nash averaging 12.7 ppg and 11 assists? That's not even close to a contender IMO.

I'm now of the mindset that we should keep Steve Nash for the next year or two depending on his health. At 38 years old, he is still the best distributor in the NBA and John Stockton proved that court vision does not necessarily depreciate by age 40. But at this rate, he needs to be surrounded with talent to thrive (which is why if he does leave in free agency, Miami would be a perfect fit). If we can retain Nash, add a top-tier free agent, one or two good contributors, and keep role players such as Shannon Brown and Telfair this offseason, I like our chances.

how are we supposed to keep Nash at a salary of likely 10 million plus, add a top tier FA at a likely salary of at least 15 million and add one or two good contributors under the salary cap... not to mention, who the heck is a top tier even FA out there to get?

the above sounds great in theory but unfortunately has very little basis in reality for the Suns to accomplish it. It's easy to say let's keep Nash... but at what price that won't hurt our cap... and let's get a top tier FA... but who? And add a couple good players... but with what money that we've already spent on Nash and this hypothetical FA... and then pay money to guys like Shannon Brown and Telfair?

Last edited:

Zobaczcie suki

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Just looking at the standings and what is going on, it looks like our best shot is for Dallas to continue to falter and end up dropping into the lottery.

Denver? They aren't going to be falling out of the top 8. They were tough enough already, and just got Galinari back, beating Golden State by 39 points on his first night back.

Houston? They are playing too well, as seen on their 4-0 record on the road trip they just finished up.

If Dallas keeps being a mess, and we can keep playing well, we might have a shot, with a little luck.

95pro

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
houston will have the other guy come back, we will see how dragic reacts to that.

or does houston keep riding dragic?

SirStefan32

Krycek, Alex Krycek
Reaction score
houston will have the other guy come back, we will see how dragic reacts to that.

or does houston keep riding dragic?

Lowry has been back for a couple of games. In my opinion, they should keep riding Dragic. He put the team on his back once Lowry, and has been carrying them right towards playoffs. Putting him back on the bench would be a huge mistake, and in my opinion, would reduce their chances of resigning him this summer.

sunsfan88

ASFN Icon
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
6. Houston 32-26
7. Dallas 32-26
8. Denver 32-26
9. Utah 31-28
10. Phoenix 30-28

To catch Dallas we must finish 3 games better than them
To catch Denver we must finish 3 games better than them
To catch Houston we must beat them on Friday and tie with them.

On Friday our season will be decided for sure.

Proteus

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
It looks like we have to go at least 6-2, probably 7-1, the rest of the season in order to make the playoffs. :(

TJ

Frank Kaminsky is my Hero.
Reaction score
6 of our next 8 are against teams that are currently in the playoff standingsg. Yuck

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
getting into the playoffs will only send the message to Sarver that he's doing something right... which will only give him pathetic ammunition to stay the course.

i'd rather see us go down in flames now, then scratch into the 8 seed... and go down in flames later.

SirStefan32

Krycek, Alex Krycek
Reaction score
getting into the playoffs will only send the message to Sarver that he's doing something right... which will only give him pathetic ammunition to stay the course.

i'd rather see us go down in flames now, then scratch into the 8 seed... and go down in flames later.

I completely agree.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yes, there is nothing worse for the Suns FO to think the team is better than they are. IMO, the Suns team has overachieved. They are about the same quality team as last season that didn't make the playoffs.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yes, there is nothing worse for the Suns FO to think the team is better than they are. IMO, the Suns team has overachieved. They are about the same quality team as last season that didn't make the playoffs.

I agree with your first sentence but not the rest of your post. I think this team is better than last year's team and they have underachieved by quite a bit. They are now, finally, playing to their potential but it appears to be too late. I'm not too brokenhearted by that fact. Even playing to it's potential this team isn't capable of going very far in the postseason. Still, the second half of this season has been a lot more fun to watch than the first half so, playoff success or not, it would have been nice if they could have played to their level a little sooner.

Steve

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score

You're applying logic and reason to a man who may very well have none. I think the guy's ego is great enough that he'll be just fine when it comes to rationalizing away this team's failures. OTOH (and I'm sure this is a part of your point in the first place), no matter how he deludes himself, if this team continues to lose fans he'll have a hard time looking the other way when the reality of empty seats hits his bottom line.

Steve

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
You're applying logic and reason to a man who may very well have none. I think the guy's ego is great enough that he'll be just fine when it comes to rationalizing away this team's failures. OTOH (and I'm sure this is a part of your point in the first place), no matter how he deludes himself, if this team continues to lose fans he'll have a hard time looking the other way when the reality of empty seats hits his bottom line.

Steve

bingo. although even then, I think Sarver is so clueless he still won't get it.

we're basically screwed until he sells the team.

slinslin

Welcome to Amareca
Reaction score

no remember, had we not lost a few games like against New Jersey or Cleveland we would be the #4 seed!!! Does not matter that other teams lose to worse teams too.

Steve Nash is the sun, stars and the moon. Who cares if he is 39, there are surely enough stupid fans that will put money in Sarvers pocket again for bringing out the same mediocre product once more.

ASUCHRIS

ONE HEART BEAT!!!
Reaction score
we're basically screwed until he sells the team.

I've gone through the same equations regarding playoffs/no playoffs, and ultimately I've come to the same conclusion. It's just really hard to get excited for the team with the stench of Sarver and his failures permeating the team.

I hate feeling this level of apathy towards the team as the Suns are probably my favorite team, but everything about the team right now seems so half assed, amateurish and hopeless. Barring a minor miracle, we'll be striving for mediocrity at best for a long time. Not good times.

ASUCHRIS

ONE HEART BEAT!!!
Reaction score
there are surely enough stupid fans that will put money in Sarvers pocket again for bringing out the same mediocre product once more.

We'll see...you'll always have your sheep, but the Suns haven't sold out one game the entire year, and nobody locally gives a sh about the team. You can only shovel the same crap for so long.

Latest posts

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SportsBetJake