Suns to trade JJ for Boris Diaw and 2 future #1's

boisesuns

Standing Tall And Traded
Reaction score
Bada0Bing said:
Memphis can't sign him, and ATL is closer than PHX.

I meant in a sign in trade. I was just really joking about the fact he wanted to be close to home, and memphis is the closest to little rock. :)

thegrahamcrackr

Reaction score
clif said:
If you want to specifically talk about dollars then you are absolutely right, BUT I thought this was about playing basketball and not how I can squeeze the team that took a chance on me and screwing the fans that supported me.

You are being irrational. When you calm down you will realize that this is the Suns and not Joe.

Chaz

observationist
Reaction score
I have settled down a little now.

I can see the flexibility and added depth that trading Joe would create.

I am just tired of rebuilding all the time.

Reading the Hawks board and listening to them talk about Diaw, it sounds just like this board talking about JJ two years ago.

I don't want to wait to see someone else develop again.

goldseraph

Irrelevance Sucks :(
Reaction score
Bada0Bing said:
That would be:

The best PF prospect in the league today
The best SF in the league today
The best PG n the league today

Some decent bench players that know their roles

The future is not looking too bad....

You think Marion is the best SF in the league??? Ok Homer. Someone who cant even create ANY kind of shot, and was completely dominated by the Spurs doesn't qualify in my book.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
So maybe we can turn around and trade the two picks to Denver for Nene and Boykins! :D

clif

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
thegrahamcrackr said:
You are being irrational. When you calm down you will realize that this is the Suns and not Joe.

I'm sorry... expecting a little loyalty and asking a millionaire basketball player to show a hint of respect towards the people that made him a millionaire is completely irrational.

Oh and bye the way :rolleyes:

thegrahamcrackr

Reaction score
goldseraph said:
You think Marion is the best SF in the league??? Ok Homer. Someone who cant even create ANY kind of shot, and was completely dominated by the Spurs doesn't qualify in my book.

Name a better.

Marion is easily top 3, and maybe the top.

thegrahamcrackr

Reaction score
clif said:
I'm sorry... expecting a little loyalty and asking a millionaire basketball player to show a hint of respect towards the people that made him a millionaire is completely irrational.

Oh and bye the way :rolleyes:

So you wanted him him to take a huge paycut for loyalty? Guaranteed you wouldn't stay at your current job if someone offered you more 40% more a year.

So yes, it is irrational.

Dustbuster

Veteran
Reaction score
Joe Mama said:
Ah BS. He said he would prefer that the Phoenix Suns let him go to Atlanta. In no way did he force the issue... at least that's not what it seems like from reading that article by Mark Stein. He said if the Phoenix Suns match the offer he'll come back, play hard, and get along great with his teammates.

This is not the fault of JJ.

Joe Mama

I agree completely, Joe. It seems that this is a purely financial decision, because we are not getting back anything (including the trade exception) that will help us win a championship this year. As it stands, we have gone from JJ as our starting 2 guard to Raja Bell. I like what Bell has to offer, but he is not a fair replacement for JJ at all. And what about the future of this franchise? We started last year as the youngest team in the league, but since then we have effectively traded: Zarko (24), Lampe (20) CJ (23-24), Vroman (24), Q (25), Hunter (23), and JJ (24) for Walter (off the team), JJax (34-35), KT (32), Burke (30), Padgett (29) and Bell (29). The only young players that we have left at the moment are Amare, Barbosa, and our newly signed scrubs (Thompson and Tischer). In other words, we have mortgaged our future for "win now" type players, but with this move, we have effectively set ourselves back from win now mode. Which direction are we going? Neither, it would seem right now. I'm shocked!

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
thegrahamcrackr said:

Come on Andy, no need to be condescending. I honestly can't believe you put no blame at all on JJ. I agree the Suns are a huge part of this, but it's a two-way street. That's the way business goes.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
thegrahamcrackr said:
So you wanted him him to take a huge paycut for loyalty? Guaranteed you wouldn't stay at your current job if someone offered you more 40% more a year.

What paycut are you referring to? He would have made the same if we matched.

thegrahamcrackr

Reaction score
Chaplin said:
Come on Andy, no need to be condescending. I honestly can't believe you put no blame at all on JJ. I agree the Suns are a huge part of this, but it's a two-way street. That's the way business goes.

I am not being condenscending. Just saying that people are letting their emotions take control right now.

BTW, I did put 10% blame on JJ. :p

clif

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
thegrahamcrackr said:

we're not talking about $30k a year and he gets offered $50k a year.. He would have made $50,000,000 or $60,000,000 as opposed to $70,000,000.. so pardon me if I don't shed a tear for him.

thegrahamcrackr

Reaction score
Chaplin said:
What paycut are you referring to? He would have made the same if we matched.

I was referring to the Suns offer, which is why Joe went to Atlanta for the offer.

He said he would come back here and "work twice as hard" He didn't demand a trade, like people have said he did the same thing Elton Brand did.

People are acting like Joe took the Lamar Odom route and demanded that he not be matched. That just isn't true.

goldseraph

Irrelevance Sucks :(
Reaction score
thegrahamcrackr said:
Name a better.

Marion is easily top 3, and maybe the top.

Kirilenko, Artest, McGrady, possibly Rashard Lewis... Marion is up there but SF is a very weak position right now, and he is not worth a max contract IMO.

thegrahamcrackr

Reaction score
clif said:
we're not talking about $30k a year and he gets offered $50k a year.. He would have made $50,000,000 or $60,000,000 as opposed to $70,000,000.. so pardon me if I don't shed a tear for him.

Which is why you are being irrational. It is still real money, and he is a human being. To make a fair comparison, it is a 40% difference per year.

No matter how much you are making, you would take the 40%

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
thegrahamcrackr said:
I was referring to the Suns offer, which is why Joe went to Atlanta for the offer.

He said he would come back here and "work twice as hard" He didn't demand a trade, like people have said he did the same thing Elton Brand did.

People are acting like Joe took the Lamar Odom route and demanded that he not be matched. That just isn't true.

Who said they thought he demanded not to be matched? I think most people here are upset that he went to ESPN and spouted off the nonsense about not wanting to be matched (instead of demanding it--at least if he demanded it we'd know exactly where he stood). Did he force the sign-and-trade? Maybe, maybe not. We don't know. But he could have. His reputation in Phoenix was already shaky, it would have been disasterous if he came out and said, "Trade me or I will not play for the Suns".

KingLouieLouie

Going Old School!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I personally will have to wait and reserve my reactions since absolutely none of us know what the true plan Sarver and Co. have configured here.... It will all make much clearer sense once this deal and all the surrounding details are confirmed... It's like a puzzle folks....

I know we all experience furor when it seems you lose one of your favorite players for what it appears to be nothing...Hence...you experience the stage of the initial shock..then the rage mounts, and then one must have to unleash all that rage that is spiraling from w/in.....

The same happened with the Marbury trade.... Most were disgusted and thought that the Suns were on the verge of complete disaster..that they didnt have a true plan, but then they signed the likes of Nash and Q..then we obviously all know what happened as a result....

Therefore.. I have extreme faith in that Sarver, BC, and the rest of the brass have a plan in place and we'll see it all materialize soon.... They had to have some contigency plan in place (because most successful organizations always do)....

Does this mean I'm glad that JJ has seemingly parted ways? No... but it means that I'm trying to be cautiously optimisitc before I react one way or another... Just hope they do have a contigency plan in place that is quite favorable for them..or else.....

thegrahamcrackr

Reaction score
goldseraph said:
Kirilenko, Artest, McGrady, possibly Rashard Lewis... Marion is up there but SF is a very weak position right now, and he is not worth a max contract IMO.

I don't think Kirilenko is above, but he could be in a year or two. Definitely not Rashard Lewis.

Ill give you Artest and McGrady though. And Garnett does play PF :p

clif

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
thegrahamcrackr said:
Which is why you are being irrational. It is still real money, and he is a human being. To make a fair comparison, it is a 40% difference per year.

No matter how much you are making, you would take the 40%

Yeah of coure anyone would want as much as they can get, but again.. I wouldn't spit in my bosses face while "posturing".