Suns to trade JJ for Boris Diaw and 2 future #1's

thegrahamcrackr

Reaction score
Chaplin said:
Who said they thought he demanded not to be matched? I think most people here are upset that he went to ESPN and spouted off the nonsense about not wanting to be matched (instead of demanding it--at least if he demanded it we'd know exactly where he stood). Did he force the sign-and-trade? Maybe, maybe not. We don't know. But he could have. His reputation in Phoenix was already shaky, it would have been disasterous if he came out and said, "Trade me or I will not play for the Suns".

People are acting like that. The Suns are taking that interview as an escape route from paying Joe. That is all I am saying.

thegrahamcrackr

Reaction score
clif said:
Yeah of coure anyone would want as much as they can get, but again.. I wouldn't spit in my bosses face while "posturing".

And he didn't. He just said he would like to move on. But he said if he came back he would work twice as hard.

Bada0Bing

Don't Stop Believin'
Reaction score
goldseraph said:
You think Marion is the best SF in the league??? Ok Homer. Someone who cant even create ANY kind of shot, and was completely dominated by the Spurs doesn't qualify in my book.

Wow, I've never been called a "homer" before. Does that make me a "Suns" fan now. I'm just an NBA fan that lives in PHX. Name me a SF better than Marion.

Wait, you are probably going to say Garnett. If Garnett played on a team good enough for him to play SF, then he would not put up close to the numbers of Marion. Marion is the master of generating numbers for himself. He's got to be the most underated player in the game. Hopefully when we win a championship in the next few years this will be taken care of.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
thegrahamcrackr said:
And he didn't. He just said he would like to move on. But he said if he came back he would work twice as hard.

Well, if you like the trade, that's fine. I'm not sure what your reasoning is for liking it, but more power to you. Right now, without knowing what the protection is on the picks, I definitely do not like the trade. JJ has a lot more value to SOMEBODY than Boris Diaw and two first round picks that are probably protected pretty well.

clif

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
thegrahamcrackr said:

Ok.. you are looking purely at the monetary aspect. I am looking at the respect factor. So there is no point in continuing.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
Bada0Bing said:
Wow, I've never been called a "homer" before. Does that make me a "Suns" fan now. I'm just an NBA fan that lives in PHX. Name me a SF better than Marion.

Wait, you are probably going to say Garnett. If Garnett played on a team good enough for him to play SF, then he would not put up close to the numbers of Marion. Marion is the master of generating numbers for himself. He's got to be the most underated player in the game. Hopefully when we win a championship in the next few years this will be taken care of.

Aha! You want to talk most underrated player in the game, then I'll agree, Marion is the guy. But #1 small forward? Tough call.

thegrahamcrackr

Reaction score
Chaplin said:
Well, if you like the trade, that's fine. I'm not sure what your reasoning is for liking it, but more power to you. Right now, without knowing what the protection is on the picks, I definitely do not like the trade. JJ has a lot more value to SOMEBODY than Boris Diaw and two first round picks that are probably protected pretty well.

I hate the trade. I already said that. Stop making things up Chap :p

I am just saying that it is the Suns fault that the trade happened. Not Joe's.

Bada0Bing

Don't Stop Believin'
Reaction score
clif said:
we're not talking about $30k a year and he gets offered $50k a year.. He would have made $50,000,000 or $60,000,000 as opposed to $70,000,000.. so pardon me if I don't shed a tear for him.

Do you know how that sounds to someone making $5/hour? Everything is relative.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
Bada0Bing said:

That's a poor arguement as well. The difference between someone making $5 an hour vs. someone making $15 an hour is being able to pay their rent. The differnece between someone making 10mil a year vs. 15mil a year is... well... nothing. There house is probably already paid for and they have dozens of cars, so relative or not, there is NO comparison here.

goldseraph

Irrelevance Sucks :(
Reaction score
Bada0Bing said:

I listed my better SF's above, and didn't you watch the Spurs series where Marion completely dissappeared and looked like a scared little girl? I like Marion I am just saying he isn't a max player and he and an aging 30 mins a night Nash might not be enough to keep Amare around.

clif

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Bada0Bing said:

I do believe $50 million would have set him up for the rest of his life... $50k.. not so much ;)

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
goldseraph said:
I listed my better SF's above, and didn't you watch the Spurs series where Marion completely dissappeared and looked like a scared little girl? I like Marion I am just saying he isn't a max player and he and an aging 30 mins a night Nash might not be enough to keep Amare around.

I'm still pretty certain that Amare will sign his extension. He's not stupid.

Bada0Bing

Don't Stop Believin'
Reaction score
goldseraph said:
Kirilenko, Artest, McGrady, possibly Rashard Lewis... Marion is up there but SF is a very weak position right now, and he is not worth a max contract IMO.

Wow, I desagree. Kirilenko and Lewis are nice players, but I wouldnt' put them up there among the best at their postion. If you call McGrady a SF, then I have to agree, but I call him more of a SG. I guess it depends on the definition. I guess I might take TMAC over Marion, but it would depend on the team. I wouldn't take him over Marion if I was the Suns.

Reaction score
WastedFate said:
You guys are overreacting. The Suns had them include an exemption for a reason. I'm sure they'll use the money.

Diaw is a lot like Marion, minus the shooting, but with MUCH better ball handling skills.

If the two first round picks are unprotected, then this is a great trade. Why force JJ to stay here if I doesnt want to? Bring in Finley if possible, then replace JJ with one of the picks. (If they're unprotected, finding a replacement shouldnt be too hard.)

Im not worried.

The Suns didn't "have them include" a trade exemption...we get one automatically because of the difference in salaries while we are over the cap.

thegrahamcrackr

Reaction score
Bada0Bing said:
Wow, I desagree. Kirilenko and Lewis are nice players, but I wouldnt' put them up there among the best at their postion. If you call McGrady a SF, then I have to agree, but I call him more of a SG. I guess it depends on the definition. I guess I might take TMAC over Marion, but it would depend on the team. I wouldn't take him over Marion if I was the Suns.

Tmac is a SF. Just like Garnett is a PF :p

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
Maybe one of those 1st round picks is Marvin Williams. :D :biglaugh:

I gotta look at the bright side, at least I'll win my bet. With this trade Kurt Thomas will definitely start. :)

Bada0Bing

Don't Stop Believin'
Reaction score
Chaplin said:
That's a poor arguement as well. The difference between someone making $5 an hour vs. someone making $15 an hour is being able to pay their rent. The differnece between someone making 10mil a year vs. 15mil a year is... well... nothing. There house is probably already paid for and they have dozens of cars, so relative or not, there is NO comparison here.

You would be surprised of how many people making 100K+/year have to declare bankruptcy. It is all relative.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Bada0Bing said:
That would be:

The best PF prospect in the league today
The best SF in the league today
The best PG n the league today

Some decent bench players that know their roles

The future is not looking too bad....

Well said Bada0Bing.

I think JJ is an overpaid role player. As I said previously, the Suns downfall last year was a lack of depth. Now maybe the Suns can get some more role players to go around Nash, Amare and Marion.

What is really scary to me, is if the Suns had unloaded Marion instead of JJ. I think almost everyone on this Board knew the Suns would have had to unload either Marion or JJ next year because of the luxury tax implications down the road. I frankly don't want a player on our roster that does not want to be here as long as the Suns get adequate compensation. Now I'm glad the Suns' kept Marion.

I have to question the thought process of JJ wanting to be on a bad team like the Hawks instead of a Championship contender like the Suns. If the Hawks want him to play PG, does anyone think that a good PG would make such a bad decision? Also I do not see JJ as a starting PG. Good luck, not, Atlanta.

I think the Suns can turn the cards they have been dealt into a contender next year with the acquisition of some cheap (but quality) role players and have some first round picks for the future.

Also, IMO, there is nothing wrong with using first round picks to acquire young proven talent as long as these picks are not squandered away which unfortunately has been the case this past couple of years.

Bada0Bing

Don't Stop Believin'
Reaction score
clif said:
I do believe $50 million would have set him up for the rest of his life... $50k.. not so much ;)

Believe it or not, there is someone out there that would say $50K would make their dreams come true...

Dan H

ASFN Addict
Banned from P+R
Reaction score
On the bright side maybe we'll end up with three #1s in the draft year-after-next and trade up for Greg Oden.

clif

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Bada0Bing said:
Believe it or not, there is someone out there that would say $50K would make their dreams come true...

I'm sure there are some...not very many, but some.

Bada0Bing

Don't Stop Believin'
Reaction score
Mainstreet said:
I think JJ is an overpaid role player. As I said previously, the Suns downfall last year was a lack of depth. Now maybe the Suns can get some more role players to go around Nash, Amare and Marion.

What is really scary to me, is if the Suns had unloaded Marion instead of JJ. I think almost everyone on this Board knew the Suns would have had to unload either Marion or JJ next year because of the luxury tax implications down the road. I frankly don't want a player on our roster that does not want to be here as long as the Suns get adequate compensation. Now I'm glad the Suns' kept Marion.

I have to question the thought process of JJ wanting to be on a bad team like the Hawks instead of a Championship contender like the Suns. If the Hawks want him to play PG, does anyone think that a good PG would make such a bad decision? Also I do not see JJ as a starting PG. Good luck, not, Atlanta.

I think the Suns can turn the cards they have been dealt into a contender next year with the acquisition of some cheap (but quality) role players and have some first round picks for the future.

Also, IMO, there is nothing wrong with using first round picks to acquire young proven talent as long as these picks are not squandered away which unfortunately has been the case this past couple of years.

Totally agree. I can't wait to see how JJ does in ATL. Let's find out how much was due to Nash and the system. Remember people that SG is the easiest position to fill in the NBA.

Evil Ash

Henchman Supreme
Reaction score
Wow! I'm shocked about this trade but in a way I kinda saw it coming. I'll still take the wait and see approach but I've got a fairly bad feeling that losing 2 players (although I do like the addition of Kurt Thomas) doesn't give me a great feeling about next season. Lets hope that Diaw reaches his potential, the 2 1st rounders are unprotected (my guess is one is and one isn't), and we use that trade exception to get someone of good value (preferably another big man or another SG) ... man thats a lot of hoping

I do want to point a couple of things out though

1) What a person says to the media and what they say to people behind closed doors are often completely different (trust me as someone in the media I know this as fact). If JJ was really being an ass about going to Atlanta, then the Suns FO was not going to keep him around

2) During the Suns history if a player has asked to leave, their wish has always been granted. It didn't matter who was in charge, this has always been their stance.

What a day to be a sports fan in AZ ... YEESH