Suns to trade JJ for Boris Diaw and 2 future #1's

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
Chaplin said:
I can't believe you guys are assuming that the picks aren't going to be protected.

i'm praying that they are not. were the picks that the nets received protected? anyone know?

Bada0Bing

Don't Stop Believin'
Reaction score
clif said:
I'm sure there are some...not very many, but some.

My point is that, even though these numbers seem stupid, they are relevant to someone that spends that much money. We may blow $200 on a birthday party and they may blow $20,000. My point is that these numbers that we can’t really fathom really do matter when you are living in their world.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
SirChaz said:
I have settled down a little now.

I can see the flexibility and added depth that trading Joe would create.

I am just tired of rebuilding all the time.

Reading the Hawks board and listening to them talk about Diaw, it sounds just like this board talking about JJ two years ago.

I don't want to wait to see someone else develop again.

that's what frightens me. we gambled and won with jj. now we're gambling with diaw. the dude isn't aggressive. and he can't shoot. and thus far his defensive ability is more a rumor than a reality. we are not going to be better this year. we will not compete for a championship with this team. those first rounders are going to have to net us something special (either as the draft pick or in a trade).

clif

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Bada0Bing said:
My point is that, even though these numbers seem stupid, they are relevant to someone that spends that much money. We may blow $200 on a birthday party and they may blow $20,000. My point is that these numbers that we can’t really fathom really do matter when you are living in their world.

and that is the underlying factor in my beef.. These guys aren't living in the real world. Obviously they are not taking into account the people that actually watch and care about their success. It's all about how much money they can blow on a birthday party. ( see shaq )... Pure garbage, but I know it is the nature of the beast. It still doesn't mean it's right

Bada0Bing

Don't Stop Believin'
Reaction score
Evil Ash said:
Wow! I'm shocked about this trade but in a way I kinda saw it coming. I'll still take the wait and see approach but I've got a fairly bad feeling that losing 2 players (although I do like the addition of Kurt Thomas) doesn't give me a great feeling about next season. Lets hope that Diaw reaches his potential, the 2 1st rounders are unprotected (my guess is one is and one isn't), and we use that trade exception to get someone of good value (preferably another big man or another SG) ... man thats a lot of hoping

I do want to point a couple of things out though

1) What a person says to the media and what they say to people behind closed doors are often completely different (trust me as someone in the media I know this as fact). If JJ was really being an ass about going to Atlanta, then the Suns FO was not going to keep him around

2) During the Suns history if a player has asked to leave, their wish has always been granted. It didn't matter who was in charge, this has always been their stance.

What a day to be a sports fan in AZ ... YEESH

I agree. I had a lot of work to do today, but this is just too important. K. Thomas will be a great addition to the team. I was all for resigning JJ until I actually read quotes from him personally. If you don't want to be here, then we need to make a trade, period. We'll have to get'r done without him.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
Bada0Bing said:
You would be surprised of how many people making 100K+/year have to declare bankruptcy. It is all relative.

Puhlease. If someone is making 10 million a year and has to declare bankruptcy (like MC Hammer :) ), then they're horrible at managing their money, that's not their bosses' fault. And I'd like to see you come up with a list of people that have made that much and lost it all like that. Remember, this is a YEARLY contract that will be paid out no matter what.

hcsilla

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
One of the acquired picks is probably Lakers' 1st rounder which is top-14 protected in 2005, top-10 protected in 2006, top-3 protected in 2007, unprotected in 2008.

They got it in the Walker-trade from BOS.

sunsfn

Reaction score
It does not matter what some of you think about JJ, this is all on Sarvers shoulders!! He screwed this up last year and is continuing to screw it up.

All he has to do is sign JJ and keep him..........that's it........it does not matter
what JJ wants. And, I think JJ would like to play here but this is getting out of hand and Sarver does not have a clue how to handle it other than he wants to save money!

If JJ goes in a trade for draft picks that sets this team back, draft picks are not what this team needs, they have a chance to win a champinship and may have just screwed that up, at least for the next couple years. Teams have to play together a while, the suns bought in Nash who can fit in right away with his experience, but JJ, Amare, and Marion have played together 3 years.

I think diaw is a defender, that sure does not fit the suns game right now. And, he probably is not a better defender than JJ. Of course the difference is 17 points..........!

I have been telling this board for weeks that Sarver may screw this team up, while he may just have done that.

If this goes through I do not think the suns will get anywhere near the finals this year.

I am a little P........right now and still hoping this does not happen!

-

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
Dan H said:
On the bright side maybe we'll end up with three #1s in the draft year-after-next and trade up for Greg Oden.

whoever ends up with the first pick will NOT trade it. no one will trade away the rights to oden. but i'll admit the thought did creep into my head too. oden and amare . . . aaaaaaahhhhh.

hcsilla

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Ouchie-Z-Clown said:
now we're gambling with diaw. the dude isn't aggressive. and he can't shoot. and thus far his defensive ability is more a rumor than a reality. we are not going to be better this year. we will not compete for a championship with this team. those first rounders are going to have to net us something special (either as the draft pick or in a trade).

I think that Diaw's value is very close to zero. You can't expect too much from him.

Actually I would be a bit surprised if his 4th year-option would be picked up by the Suns.

thegrahamcrackr

Reaction score
Ouchie-Z-Clown said:
whoever ends up with the first pick will NOT trade it. no one will trade away the rights to oden. but i'll admit the thought did creep into my head too. oden and amare . . . aaaaaaahhhhh.

Hey, maybe the Hawks win the lottery and don't protect the pick :p

God that is actually depressing to think about.....

thegrahamcrackr

Reaction score
hcsilla said:
I think that Diaw's value is very close to zero. You can't expect too much from him.

Actually I would be a bit surprised if his 4th year-option would be picked up by the Suns.

I think it will be. They have always like Diaw, so they will give him a shot.

hcsilla

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Ouchie-Z-Clown said:
whoever ends up with the first pick will NOT trade it. no one will trade away the rights to oden.

That sounds like Oden would be a Lebron James-type, once in 20 years talent. He seems to be far away from that level, IMO.

Bada0Bing

Don't Stop Believin'
Reaction score
clif said:
and that is the underlying factor in my beef.. These guys aren't living in the real world. Obviously they are not taking into account the people that actually watch and care about their success. It's all about how much money they can blow on a birthday party. ( see shaq )... Pure garbage, but I know it is the nature of the beast. It still doesn't mean it's right

No, it's not right, but people shell out the money to watch them to make it happen for them. I enjoy all 82 games from the comfort of my own home for free. Maybe once per year in person, depends on if I can grab some free tickets.

Lars the Red

aka Thor, God of Thunder
Reaction score
Oh well, shmitt happens. Moving ahead, what's the next move to bolster the perimeter? Diaw is solid ball handling and defending. We need someone in addition to Bell to make up for the loss of offense.

For what it's worth, Joe thinks he's doing whats right for him. As bizarre as that is for most of us that can't imagine prefering to play in an empty arena, on a bad team, that's what the guy thinks is best.

I'm ready to move on.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
hcsilla said:

i think you're selling diaw a bit short. he has a good deal of talent and skill, he just doens't seem to have the mentality (though neither did jj before last year). i hoping he can add something to the team.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
Lars the Red said:
Oh well, shmitt happens. Moving ahead, what's the next move to bolster the perimeter? Diaw is solid ball handling and defending. We need someone in addition to Bell to make up for the loss of offense.

For what it's worth, Joe thinks he's doing whats right for him. As bizarre as that is for most of us that can't imagine prefering to play in an empty arena, on a bad team, that's what the guy thinks is best.

I'm ready to move on.

I'd like to see what those first rounders could maybe get us. Building through the draft seems like a bad idea right now.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
thegrahamcrackr said:
Hey, maybe the Hawks win the lottery and don't protect the pick :p

God that is actually depressing to think about.....

maybe, just maybe, this is the seemingly bad stroke that eventually makes us champions. we have to lose jj for seemingly less than value. the hawks stink enough to get into the lottery in two years and we have their pick. they get the #1 and it's oden.

it would be like when robinson went down with the injury and the spurs netted duncan. a good team that seemingly ends up with a stud. we're due. WE'RE FRIGGIN' DUE for some idiotic luck!

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
hcsilla said:
That sounds like Oden would be a Lebron James-type, once in 20 years talent. He seems to be far away from that level, IMO.

the recent articles i've read about him place him not far from jamesian levels. but as a big.

thegrahamcrackr

Reaction score
hcsilla said:
The Suns have like Cabarkapa more and they didn't give a shot him either.

LOL true that.

I still think they pick up the option because they gave up Joe for him and the firsts. It is bad enough they do this trade, but then to not pick up the option?

SweetD

Next Up
Supporting Member
Moderator Emeritus
Reaction score
JJ is the next Marbury if he thinks he is going to win in Atlanta you have got to be kidding me. I hate to see him go and I am not sure he can be replaced but man that trade with NY hurts really bad now. I can see Finely coming to the team but we just got thin again. I just don't know what to say.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dbacks05