Suns to trade JJ for Boris Diaw and 2 future #1's

thegrahamcrackr

Reaction score
SweetD said:
JJ is the next Marbury if he thinks he is going to win in Atlanta you have got to be kidding me. I hate to see him go and I am not sure he can be replaced but man that trade with NY hurts really bad now. I can see Finely coming to the team but we just got thin again. I just don't know what to say.

Joe Mama said the exact same thing to me earlier. He said that this is no where close to the Dice situation, and that the closest was when Marbury left Minny.

I guess the mods are on the same page today!

green machine

I rule at posting
Reaction score
How much influence do the Colangelos still have here, with Bryan and Jerry? Yeah, it'd be nice to see Sarver pony up the dough, but doesn't Jerry still have a great influence on what goes on?

arthurracoon

The Cardinal Smiles
Reaction score
thegrahamcrackr said:
well at least it isn't just the racoon. When I saw you posted, I was going to be pissed if I saw that little guy right now! :p

very true...

*cry*

thegrahamcrackr

Reaction score
green machine said:
How much influence do the Colangelos still have here, with Bryan and Jerry? Yeah, it'd be nice to see Sarver pony up the dough, but doesn't Jerry still have a great influence on what goes on?

They have influence, but Sarver makes the final decisions. Jerry is pretty removed now, and only gets involved in big things like this. Bryan is the GM, so he has a lot of say.

However, it all comes down to sarver.

Last season the entire staff told him to give Joe the 50 over 6 and he didn't. This year they told him to match, and now he won't.....

Bada0Bing

Don't Stop Believin'
Reaction score
Chaplin said:
Puhlease. If someone is making 10 million a year and has to declare bankruptcy (like MC Hammer :) ), then they're horrible at managing their money, that's not their bosses' fault. And I'd like to see you come up with a list of people that have made that much and lost it all like that. Remember, this is a YEARLY contract that will be paid out no matter what.

I wasn’t trying to say that people making 10MM/yr declared bankruptcy often. However, people making large salaries in the normal workforce declare bankruptcy all the time. But you have to understand that these “mind numbing” figures are relevant. They are taxed at a rate of close to 50% depending on the state. It is a business.

IndyDevil

Defensive liability
Reaction score
Lars the Red said:
For what it's worth, Joe thinks he's doing whats right for him. As bizarre as that is for most of us that can't imagine prefering to play in an empty arena, on a bad team, that's what the guy thinks is best.

I'm ready to move on.

My sentiments exactly!! Enjoy playing in front of family, friends & about a dozen fans in Atlanta, Joe!!

coloradosun

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Why couldn't JJ have the loyalty of Ginobli, at least Manu knows the importance of keeping a team together to win a championship.

I just don't see how JJ sees himself as the fourth option. Marion did not have plays run for him. JJ was the backup point guard and more of a contributor than Marion when Nash was on the bench.

I just don't understand the selfish mind.

hcsilla

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
I really liked JJ as a Phoenix Sun but am I the only one who thinks that this situation is a bit similar to the Nets' with Martin and SAR?

They replaced Martin with SAR much cheaper and got two picks too.

Probably Bell is a bigger downgrade from JJ but considering his salary and the picks it seems to be a reasonable decision.

Lars the Red

aka Thor, God of Thunder
Reaction score
Damn boys, this isn't the end of the freakin' world. If the guys sitting in the big chairs can pull out some help and use this to build through the draft, we'll be just fine. Even with Joe, are we really certain we're looking at the NBA finals? I'm not. We have some possibilities and you can imagine there are guys on the phone right now working on some of them.

I'm not blaming anyone for this. It's a matter of two men that are doing what they believed to be the best thing. Sarver did it last year, and again if we do the sign and trade. Joe is doing it right now, going to a lesser team for greater exposure.

goldseraph

Irrelevance Sucks :(
Reaction score
Lars the Red said:
Damn boys, this isn't the end of the freakin' world.

No, just the end of our NBA title aspirations, and a possible threat to Amare re-signing. That's rather upsetting to those of us who had really high hopes for next year. :shrug:

sunsfn

Reaction score
coloradosun said:
Why couldn't JJ have the loyalty of Ginobli, at least Manu knows the importance of keeping a team together to win a championship.

I just don't see how JJ sees himself as the fourth option. Marion did not have plays run for him. JJ was the backup point guard and more of a contributor than Marion when Nash was on the bench.

Come on, they are all selfish, Manu signed in a year where the salaries for wing players was not what it was this year.......!

JJ is not being selfish, all Sarver has to do is sign him!

This baloney about team comradre is bull crap, JJ is well liked by his teammates, Sarver does not want to pay the dollars, and wants to show everybody who is in charge. He does not understand this is a players league. Sarver is in over his head and will not listen to anyone.

-

F-Dog

lurker
Reaction score

Lars the Red

aka Thor, God of Thunder
Reaction score
coloradosun said:

I didn't quite understand that forth option crap either, CS. Nash looks for others first, then will shoot. Amare is going to be #1 as long as he can stay on the court and out of foul trouble. Shawn is not the face up shooter, or creator that Joe was, so the idea that he's anything but #2 shows some real bad advice was going in his ears. That sounds so much like agent speak it isn't even funny.

Toss in a couple of 'No Respect' bombs for good measure and you have a classic blunder by someone who didn't take a little time to use their head and evaluate things for themselves.

asudevil83

Reaction score
Mainstreet said:
The draft picks are lottery protected per ESPN if this has not already been mentioned.

See link:

http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/columns/story?columnist=stein_marc&id=2120960

someone somewhere needs to be fired this this trade. how the hell? ****.....i just done know what else to say. are we EVER going to see those picks? i cant image atlanta making the playoffs for at least another 3 years.

2 lotto protected picks and Diaw for JJ. you know what this trade means now. JJ IS going to do well in atlanta, and probably be worth his contract. it'll then make the suns look like complete fools, which they are.

oh, and lets see here. the Hawks are going to sign Curry. Curry will produce for a couple months, then be finished because of his heart. Atlanta will be suck for years to come, but JJ will be a 23/4/6 guy.

Last edited:

sunsfn

Reaction score
asudevil83 said:
someone somewhere needs to be fired this this trade. how the hell? ****.....i just done know what else to say. are we EVER going to see those picks? i cant image atlanta making the playoffs for at least another 3 years.

2 lotto protected picks and Diaw for JJ. you know what this trade means now. JJ IS going to do well in atlanta, and probably be worth his contract. it'll then make the suns look like complete fools, which they are.

There is no way the suns should take Diaw and two protected picks for JJ. They should ask for a H...... of a lot more or just tell Atlanta they are going to keep him. The picks should not be protected. I still think JJ can be an all star and the suns are trading him for virtually nothing!

Hell even proteted picks are not very good, think of the first few picks this year, no one would trade JJ for any of them or any two of them! SAD!

-

The Commish

youknowhatimsayin?
Reaction score
I don't trust us drafting these days. We haven't exactly had a stellar draft (minus the Amare pick) in a long time. Not to mention that next year's draft doesn't look like a gem either. I just hope we can sign Finley, and get a solid backup PG for Nash using this trade exemption. For what it's worth I would have much rather obtained Salim out of this trade instead of Diaw. Is anyone else bothered by the fact that we now have a guy on our team named Boris?

thegrahamcrackr

Reaction score
hcsilla said:
They replaced Martin with SAR much cheaper and got two picks too.

Probably Bell is a bigger downgrade from JJ but considering his salary and the picks it seems to be a reasonable decision.

I see what you mean. The Nets also got Vince Carter with those picks....

Never know what kind of deals will show up I guess

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
the suns are gonna have to pull some fancy footwork to prove to me that they know what they're doing this time unlike with the marbury trade. i didn't believe in that one either and it worked, but this time, well, i'm just really not seeing it.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
thegrahamcrackr said:
I see what you mean. The Nets also got Vince Carter with those picks....

Never know what kind of deals will show up I guess

still no one has answered my question . . . were the firsts lotto protected in the martin to denver s & t?

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
asudevil83 said:

oh, and lets see here. the Hawks are going to sign Curry. Curry will produce for a couple months, then be finished because of his heart. Atlanta will be suck for years to come, but JJ will be a 23/4/6 guy.

If this is all true, it proves that JJ is nothing more than just a role player thus making this a fair trade. I wouldn't write off Diaw just yet or the importance of the exception.

Let's see what the Suns look like heading into camp.

I'm betting you will like it much better then. :thumbup:

sunsfn

Reaction score
thegrahamcrackr said:
It is hard to fire the owner.

Wouldn't if be great if JC wrote something in the sales agreement for the first 3 years that he is the CEO, that if Sarver screwed it up he could take it back and resell the team to someone else!

Wishful thinking I know!

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dbacks05