Suns updates and discussion for the 2023-24 season

GatorAZ

feed hopkins
Reaction score
Grayson has been saving our **** during this streak of Book and Beal missing games. Gordon wouldn’t have been able to handle the scoring load. Idk what’s up with his 3pt shot but everything else looks good. He’s shooting 57% inside the arc and he’s pretty aggressive. I think we all expect for KBD to get more run going forward.

BirdGangThing

Casual Fan
Reaction score
Grayson has been saving our **** during this streak of Book and Beal missing games. Gordon wouldn’t have been able to handle the scoring load. Idk what’s up with his 3pt shot but everything else looks good. He’s shooting 57% inside the arc and he’s pretty aggressive. I think we all expect for KBD to get more run going forward.
crazy how Diop looks like an entirely different player - last night 50% from 3 with 5 boards and 3 blocks

shows how some players take a minute getting acclimated to new surroundings - longer than preseason would allow

Ronin

In your city
Super Moderator
Reaction score
xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

clyde2tw

All Star
Reaction score
The team is still getting used to one another. Allen is great off ball, but cannot really be relied on to create on his own. So is Yuta and Goodwin, who both would benefit from return of all of big-3, though their min then will get cut. Eric is the only one besides big-3 who can create, but he has his off-nights now and then. KBD has the proper individual skill to fill the expected role, but seems not well integrated within the new team yet. Vogel saw that in preseason and benched him for good reason. He will catch up and be solid contributor and share the 5th starter role with Okogie.
Beal seems a great catch-and-shoot guy, but very rusty in his first game at creating chances for himself and team. He may need long warmup time on court. I remember one game vs Suns he was like 3 for 20 in qrt 1-3 and then like 10 for 10 in the 4th. Anyway, he'd be the best 3rd-best a team could get.
Our p&r defense is not very good. Bulls and Spurs exploited that well, their moving screens not-being-called notwithstanding. We lack proper communication on switches. OTH, our screen setting is inadequate, as witnessed in not getting KD easy room via screening attempts. Against Bulls we let KD mix it up with going the reverse direction and it worked.
All in all, we need a lot of refinement on game plans on both ends.

95pro

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
The team is still getting used to one another. Allen is great off ball, but cannot really be relied on to create on his own. So is Yuta and Goodwin, who both would benefit from return of all of big-3, though their min then will get cut. Eric is the only one besides big-3 who can create, but he has his off-nights now and then. KBD has the proper individual skill to fill the expected role, but seems not well integrated within the new team yet. Vogel saw that in preseason and benched him for good reason. He will catch up and be solid contributor and share the 5th starter role with Okogie.
Beal seems a great catch-and-shoot guy, but very rusty in his first game at creating chances for himself and team. He may need long warmup time on court. I remember one game vs Suns he was like 3 for 20 in qrt 1-3 and then like 10 for 10 in the 4th. Anyway, he'd be the best 3rd-best a team could get.
Our p&r defense is not very good. Bulls and Spurs exploited that well, their moving screens not-being-called notwithstanding. We lack proper communication on switches. OTH, our screen setting is inadequate, as witnessed in not getting KD easy room via screening attempts. Against Bulls we let KD mix it up with going the reverse direction and it worked.
All in all, we need a lot of refinement on game plans on both ends.

Wait what about KBD…

Many of us thought he was the best player to be a starter aside from the obvious big 3 and Nurk. Lo and behold he didn’t even start in preseason, let alone get much playing time. When he did get time it was near the end of games and in very limited minutes. It was really puzzling to me.

Superbone

Phoenix native; Lifelong Suns Fan
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Wait what about KBD…

Many of us thought he was the best player to be a starter aside from the obvious big 3 and Nurk. Lo and behold he didn’t even start in preseason, let alone get much playing time. When he did get time it was near the end of games and in very limited minutes. It was really puzzling to me.
He has started the last two games and seems to be the fifth starter for the time being.

Muggz

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Look at the Gordon situation like this.
It's not Shamet

Proximo

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Wait what about KBD…

It wasn't to me, he was playing like crap in the preseason.

He does look better now, but still needs to be integrated more into the offense.

Proximo

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
In general I am really not happy with our offense currently.

It seems 80% of the time it's just throw it to KD in the midpost and let him Iso or throw it out of a double team.

We aren't even running any pick and rolls - I know that basically we need Book or Beal to run them - but now that Beal is back I would like to see some.

Ronin

In your city
Super Moderator
Reaction score

Ronin

In your city
Super Moderator
Reaction score

Ronin

In your city
Super Moderator
Reaction score

Ronin

In your city
Super Moderator
Reaction score

Ronin

In your city
Super Moderator
Reaction score

Ronin

In your city
Super Moderator
Reaction score

Ronin

In your city
Super Moderator
Reaction score

Ronin

In your city
Super Moderator
Reaction score

Ronin

In your city
Super Moderator
Reaction score

Ronin

In your city
Super Moderator
Reaction score

Ronin

In your city
Super Moderator
Reaction score

95pro

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
It’s just not this forum that is complaining about coaching. How long until we see IT come into some official role with the suns?

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It's hard to identify with this team with so many new players. Hopefully this will change as the season progresses.

Devin Booker and Josh Okogie are the primary mainstays from last season. And Booker has only played two games thus far.

Kevin Durant was added near the trade deadline last season and Saban (TW) is a limited contributor.

Damion Lee has been out this season with an injury.

The Suns even have a relatively new owner and a new head coach.

Maybe everyone is trying to adapt.

95pro

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
You must be registered for see images attach

I think its time to swap JO and Goodwin.

Goodwin does the same in 5 less minutes per game, and isn't a liability on offense. That statement is funny because JO has more freethrow attempts and a better overall percentage. But the main role for these guys is to knock down open 3's. Goodwin is a better passer too. JO is picking up where he left off from last season.