suns vs blazers

tobiazz

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Doesn't look like anyone else started a thread.

This should be a fun game to watch/listen too.

Expect JJ to shoot poorly and Randolph to get 24 and 12.

matt_whitlock

Veteran
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Somebody fill me in on why Penny played just 10 minutes that half???

Note to D'Antoni: Put your best players on the floor.

dyle_ph1

Registered
Reaction score
The Suns were having a nice defensive flow. Their offense did not need any help and their defense actually got some stops. I liked this move by D'Antoni. Didn't disrupt a good thing. Penny will have his turn again in the 2nd half.

OP
OP
T

tobiazz

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
First Half Recap - Suns offense seems to be moving well and they are scoring as a team without M&M getting much pts. Marbs has 10 assists already.

creed

Veteran
Reaction score
When does the draft start?

This game is a snoozer....

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
This is what Suns basketball should be. Solid. Not spectacular, not full of tons of big runs (for either side), but just solid. Good matchups--and I must say TERRIFIC coaching by D'Antoni. I am very impressed at how long he is staying with the big guys tonight. Very impressed.

OP
OP
T

tobiazz

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Suns new PG: Scott Williams.

JJ is playing well and playing the way he should; he is only taking open shots in the flow of the game and driving to the hoop. Portland's D has not been impressive though.

Evil Ash

Henchman Supreme
Reaction score
Originally posted by tobiazz
First Half Recap - Suns offense seems to be moving well and they are scoring as a team without M&M getting much pts. Marbs has 10 assists already.

... and Scott Williams is playing the game of his life!

OP
OP
T

tobiazz

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Re: When does the draft start?

Originally posted by creed
This game is a snoozer....

How could it be more exciting? Should they jack up (and brick) more 3's? Certainly not going to be a dunkfest without Amare.

thegrahamcrackr

Reaction score
I am just tuning into the game after some Xmas shopping, and the first play I see if the suns moving without the ball. Voskuhl picking marburys man when he doesnt have the ball, then marbury getting a pass and hitting an open Williams.

I think I love D'Antoni right now

dyle_ph1

Registered
Reaction score
Originally posted by Chaplin
This is what Suns basketball should be. Solid. Not spectacular, not full of tons of big runs (for either side), but just solid. Good matchups--and I must say TERRIFIC coaching by D'Antoni. I am very impressed at how long he is staying with the big guys tonight. Very impressed.

That, and he's also letting hardaway create from the post where he is the most effective...Even forced the blazers to put ruben patterson on him :D

OP
OP
T

tobiazz

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Not only have the Suns been moving without the ball, but they have been diving for _many_ loose balls. They are putting forth a nice effort tonight. The Seattle game didn't impress me much, even though they won. This game, it looks like they have made some progress.

... and Steph has 15 assts after the 3rd quarter!

sly fly

Devil Me This
Reaction score
Solid effort. That's all we ask for.

... Beat those gangstas.

Wally

Registered
Reaction score
Win or loose - I like this style of ball. Somebody must have given a pep talk because the Sun's are playing with some zip................

I'd Much rather see them win but if they continue to play like this I won't complain should they loose. Barbosa continues to impress me.:D

creed

Veteran
Reaction score
And there it is

Another fourth quarter fold...

We can't close teams out and that last game was a fluke. You cant totally go by their play during the game...its in the fourth quarter where we see what they're made of.

green machine

I rule at posting
Reaction score
Could have used Amare tonight.

That behind the back pass by Marbs was one of the stupidest plays I've ever seen.

Joe Mama

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Re: And there it is

Originally posted by creed
Another fourth quarter fold...

We can't close teams out and that last game was a fluke. You cant totally go by their play during the game...its in the fourth quarter where we see what they're made of.

Marbury has really been anti-clutch in the fourth quarter this season. Last season he was one of the best clutch players in the NBA. He was missing free throws, he tried a behind back pass that was easily picked off, and then he took a quick jump shot and missed it.

BTW, it should be becoming more and more evident to people that Shawn Marion is a defensive liability most nights. He is a good defensive player, but he is just too small to play forward anymore. Amare and Zarko just can't get back fast enough.

That said, I really liked the effort tonight and the type of basketball they played. This is the game the Suns would have been killed in with Frank Johnson as head coach. I really liked Mike D'Antoni. I fully expect this to be a good team when they get healthy as long as he can keep the other guys from cashing in because there is no way they're going to make the playoffs this season.

There must be a bunch of teams banging their heads on the table after having passed on Zach Randolph. If Portland had just Jermaine O'Neal around the would have the best frontcourt in the NBA.

Joe Mama

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
I know you guys aren't fans of Penny Hardaway, but any guesses as to why he didn't set foot on the court in the 4th quarter? I'm baffled by it.

jbeecham

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Penny was on the court in the 4th. He made his one bad pass that lead to a fast break dunk (although part of the blame was on Voskuhl for not paying attention). Voskuhl set a pick for Penny and then ran to the opposite side of the paint with his back to Penny and penny threw a pass into him and hit him in the back. I think D'Antoni pulled him right after that and never put him back in. I actually would've rather seen Penny or Barbosa in the 4th instead of Casey Jacobsen.

elindholm

edited for content
Reaction score
I couldn't watch very carefully, but he was on the floor during the fourth quarter, at least briefly. Perhaps this will refresh your memory: he attempted a thread-the-needle pass from the left elbow to Jake Voskuhl, who was facing the other direction and had the ball bounce off his back. He was pulled shortly after that.

Not to bash him -- it's just that's the most distinctive thing I saw him do. :cool:

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Originally posted by jbeecham
Penny was on the court in the 4th. He made his one bad pass that lead to a fast break dunk (although part of the blame was on Voskuhl for not paying attention). Voskuhl set a pick for Penny and then ran to the opposite side of the paint with his back to Penny and penny threw a pass into him and hit him in the back. I think D'Antoni pulled him right after that and never put him back in. I actually would've rather seen Penny or Barbosa in the 4th instead of Casey Jacobsen.

that pass hit him in the chest and if Voskhul was actually looking for the ball like a player should on a pick and roll - he would have had a 5 footer. It wasn't a great pass, but it wasn't a bad pass.

Nice fold in the clutch. What is up with Marbs this year - the man was absolute money in the 4th last year and now he can't hit water if he fell off the Titanic.:(

jbeecham

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Marbury's problem tonight was that he didn't try to get his offense going at all and instead got his teammates involved all game long. He had 17 assists, which is pretty damn amazing. He only took 10 shots and most were in the 4th and he couldn't find a rythmn on his shot. All of the Suns seemed to pull the same crap in the 4th where they play tentatively and stand around on offense and let the shot clock run down.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dbacks05