DeAnna

Just A Face in The Crowd
Reaction score
I liked the reference to Tim Duncan :)

Suns will win it all, and we can prove it

Bob Young
The Arizona Republic
Jan. 31, 2007 12:00 AM
It's amazing, but the Suns have just had a 17-game winning streak snapped on the heels of a 15-game winning streak, both of which were franchise records at the time, and yet there are haters.

We're serious.

We got a call last week from a skeptic, who didn't leave his name. However, he did leave a rambling voice-mail message about how we're all getting excited about the Suns and "their little streaks" but they're still the Suns and, just you watch, they'll go out in the second round, and then won't everybody look stupid? advertisement
You must be registered for see images
OAS_AD('ArticleFlex_1')

Some people are happiest when they're totally miserable, if that makes any sense.

And if they can make everybody else miserable, well, that's nirvana.

We would rather enjoy this Suns team and just see where it takes us all.

It has its problems, for sure. The Marcus Banks acquisition hasn't worked out as expected, and therefore the bench isn't very deep. Not that Mike D'Antoni would use it, anyway.

They've also played a schedule during the first half of the season front-loaded with Eastern Conference opponents. They are 16-8 against the Western Conference, including a 2-6 mark against the other Western Conference teams among the top six: Dallas, San Antonio, Utah, Houston and the Lakers. Both wins came against Houston.

Several of those losses came early, however, when they were still trying to figure out what they had with Amaré Stoudemire (a lot) and how he would fit in (just fine, thanks).

And they've been in every game they've lost. They'd have beaten Utah both times had Leandro Barbosa not missed a couple of point-blank layups.

Anyway, there is an awful lot to like about this team, and it doesn't look to us like those Suns teams of the past.

Here's why we not only think they can win it all, but will:

STAT: Stoudemire has given them an interior presence defensively and gets them into the bonus (free throws) earlier. They missed both last season, yet still made the Western Conference finals.

Dare we say it: Everybody talks about their nonconformist offense, but their defensive philosophy is different, too. They defend the three-point line, and they don't foul.

(Going into Tuesday's games, only San Antonio fouled less than the Suns, and that's because, as we all know, Tim Duncan never commits a foul.)

Road warriors: Nothing means more in the NBA than the ability to win games on the road. As impressive as those 15- and 17-game streaks were, the 17-1 record the Suns had in the 18 road games before they lost in Minnesota is just ridiculous.

• It means something: In the NBA, regular-season records mean a lot. Since the league expanded the playoffs to 16 teams in 1984, the team with the best record has reached the Finals 14 times and won 12 championships. The team with the second-best record has won another six times in that span.

Second has actually been better lately. The team with the second-best record has won three of the past six titles.

• NBA conspiracy theories: We don't really believe that the powers of the NBA fix stuff, but we figure that if Commissioner David Stern ever was going to pull something hinky, it would be on his nemesis, Mark Cuban, whose Mavericks are in lock-step with the Suns. Come to think of it, weren't they heavily favored in the Finals last season only to lose to Miami?

Hmmmmm.

• Purple finger of fate: Whatever you might think of owner Robert Sarver's methods, he seems to have that Midas touch. And have you noticed him this season? We haven't either. Karma likes a low profile.

• Reward the rules: The league changed the rules to improve scoring and open up the game. The Suns are its shining example of what is possible. Playoff axioms don't necessarily apply.

• MatriX-factor: He scores. He blocks shots. He steals the ball. He rebounds. He sells furniture.

There's only one Shawn Marion in the NBA, and the Suns have him.

The dues are paid: Often, great teams first must come close and lose before they understand what it takes to win championships. The Suns have lost the past two years in the Western finals. It's their time.

Steve Nash: The Houdini of the Hardwood will find a way.

High Stakes

Registered
Reaction score
Im skeptical. Did you see the way we ended the twolves game? When such enormous pressure (win streaks, playoffs) presents it self, the suns normally wither. When the pressure is on, its tough to continuously pull Houdini acts out of our.....................Dont get me wrong I have no idea what i would do if we won it all however being a suns fan for my entire life has taught me that well we are the suns

Mulli

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I am pretty sure that the Suns do not treat a winning streak as being as important as the playoffs. I hope that is the case anyway.

The Commish

youknowhatimsayin?
Reaction score
Im skeptical. Did you see the way we ended the twolves game? When such enormous pressure (win streaks, playoffs) presents it self, the suns normally wither. When the pressure is on, its tough to continuously pull Houdini acts out of our.....................Dont get me wrong I have no idea what i would do if we won it all however being a suns fan for my entire life has taught me that well we are the suns

Way to be Debbie Downer today Rakes. I guess you'll just ignore those game 7 wins over Clippers and Lakers in the playoffs. One regular season game on the end of a back-to-back and a getaway game is more indicative of our ability to win anyways.

High Stakes

Registered
Reaction score
Commish- Clips and Lakers should never have gone to seven games anyways plus the only two teams which bring ultimate pressure are the mavs and spurs. What would swing my vote though commish is the one the only travis deiner

The Commish

youknowhatimsayin?
Reaction score
Commish- Clips and Lakers should never have gone to seven games anyways plus the only two teams which bring ultimate pressure are the mavs and spurs. What would swing my vote though commish is the one the only travis deiner

Agree with you on the Lakers, but the Clippers were playing well last year and had a tough front court. You forget that we navigated our way through the Mavs two years ago before we ran in to the Spurs.

But yes Diener is our savior. All hail Diener. :notworthy

TucsonDevil

Good to be back!
Reaction score

Holy Crap man. Would a complete destruction of the Spurs tomorrow night convince you? How about the fact that the Suns haven't LOST a game by more than 9 points! That is something no one else can say in the league... of course there isn't much of a sample size for that statistic, but that is a good thing.

MaoTosiFanClub

The problem
Reaction score
Of course the Suns have a shot. They actually have a great shot to win the NBA Finals especially if they lock up homecourt. However it's not the sure thing Bob Young and some people on this board make it out to be. The Mavericks are just as good and experienced and the Spurs, Rockets, and Jazz are also have the ability to not let it be a cakewalk to the Finals.

kps0001

Warriors Come Out And Plaaaay!
Reaction score
I liked the reference to Tim Duncan :)

Suns will win it all, and we can prove it

Bob Young
The Arizona Republic
Jan. 31, 2007 12:00 AM

We got a call last week from a skeptic, who didn't leave his name. However, he did leave a rambling voice-mail message about how we're all getting excited about the Suns and "their little streaks" but they're still the Suns and, just you watch, they'll go out in the second round, and then won't everybody look stupid? advertisement
OAS_AD('ArticleFlex_1')

This sounds like my buddy in Chicago who keeps telling me the Bulls are a better team and will go further in the playoffs than the Suns.

High Stakes

Registered
Reaction score
Mr. Tucson, we have beaten bad team after bad team or decent teams without their superstar. I am not ready to say that it is a lock stock and two smoking barrell that we will win the championship.
Who have we beat that is any good???

The Commish

youknowhatimsayin?
Reaction score
Mr. Tucson, we have beaten bad team after bad team or decent teams without their superstar. I am not ready to say that it is a lock stock and two smoking barrell that we will win the championship.

Ah screw it, let's just crown their asses!

Last edited:

Gee!

BirdGang
Supporting Member
Reaction score
When such enormous pressure (win streaks, playoffs) presents it self, the suns normally wither.

Dude, did you expect we'd win every game? It was a 17 game streak that followed a 15 game streak.. Im not sure what you were expecting I guess...

thegrahamcrackr

Reaction score

We have beaten every team except for
Utah, San Antonio (only played them in the 1-5 start) and then Dallas

If we sweep this weekend we will have beaten everyone besides Dallas (we haven't played some lowly teams I think)

Reaction score
well, fellas its time for tammillionaire to step in...rakes and the commish make good point, but lets be real high stakes...the suns really cant win them all and if I can remember correctly we did watch the t-wolves game together and witnessed how garnett single handly took down the suns! you know that wont happen again the next time they meet up. I mean, come on. everytime down the floor, garnett would magicisian his way to pulling off a turn around, fade away, 20 footer...you got to give him credit for being the big ticket...The suns cant win em all and they have been playin an absurd amount of games with very little rest in between...As it is not good to lose games, I think this loss came at a good time...They have a few days to rest up for San Antonio and will be hungry to start another streak and beat one of the league's elite, which has been what the suns have been ridiculed for this entire year...This suns team is simply filth...

ASUCHRIS

ONE HEART BEAT!!!
Reaction score
This game was like many recently where they played a close game against a bad team, and most of the time Nash has come in at the end and helped close the games out. Nash came in too late in my opinion, because when he came back he was a little cold just coming in, missing multiple shots he usually makes. Wish the streak continued, but it was a bit of a distraction in the same vein.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dbacks05