takers for Bledsoe?

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Damn it you guys already got me nervous about the draft.

I'm scared....very scared now. Smh

Oh by the way im not joking im very serious

We have no control how the Suns play so sit back and enjoy the ride. For tankers, there will always be another draft.

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
We have no control how the Suns play so sit back and enjoy the ride. For tankers, there will always be another draft.

Oh the horror of winning too much with a team full of 20 year olds.

We have been rebuilding through the draft. These guys now have some nba experience under their belts. We are at the stage where we would have to root for our previous draft picks to be bad and fail so we can get a better draft pick this year. That just does not make sense.

Last edited:

ColdPickleNachos

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score

We have been rebuilding through the draft. These guys now have some nba experience under their belts. We are at the stage where we would have to root for our previous draft picks to be bad and fail so we can get a better draft pick this year. That just does not make sense.

True...but you know what else does not make sense? How good Luka Doncic is!

I think you absolutely need to start establishing a culture geared toward winning if you're the Suns. If you don't you risk Booker becoming the next malcontent.

However, as a fan I am still rooting for progress...with enough luck to still end up with a top 3 pick.

Doncic, Bagley, and Ayton have the potential to be franchise changers. Put any of them with Booker, Jackson and Bender and I think you have a team of limitless potential.

In other words, I want to have my cake and eat it too. As a Suns fan, I think I've earned it. :)

ColdPickleNachos

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
I mention Bender and not Chriss because I think if you want to win in the next ten years, you're going to have to contend with Giannis. That makes Bender's defensive upside worth pursuing over Chriss' offensive upside imho.

If we could get Brogdon or Ntilikina that would be perfect. I've been pushing for a pass first point guard, but I think with Booker, Jackson, and Bender all having playmaking ability, we don't need a Chris Paul type who gets a ton of assists...We need a point guard who does not need the ball in their hands all the time to be effective, and who plays great defense. Brogdon and Ntilikina are both perfect candidates.

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I mention Bender and not Chriss because I think if you want to win in the next ten years, you're going to have to contend with Giannis. That makes Bender's defensive upside worth pursuing over Chriss' offensive upside imho.

If we could get Brogdon or Ntilikina that would be perfect. I've been pushing for a pass first point guard, but I think with Booker, Jackson, and Bender all having playmaking ability, we don't need a Chris Paul type who gets a ton of assists...We need a point guard who does not need the ball in their hands all the time to be effective, and who plays great defense. Brogdon and Ntilikina are both perfect candidates.
Agree with Bender over Chriss. But who knows really how each player will develop.

Brogdon would be a great fit here. I don't get people pining for Frank. He is a total unknown. I was not impressed with him as a draft pick.

Again. Trading Bledsoe for an option to swap picks with a team like Philly would be perfectly satisfactory to me. It lets our players just play and be whoever they become. We might not end up swapping picks, but the draft order is all about increasing your odds anyway.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
I was all for the 'happy' tank - that's what I thought the point of earl watson was, turns out he was just incompetent - but I think there's a better way:

- play as hard as we can, worst case we pick 8 - 12.

- trade Bledsoe for a first rounder

- we also have miami's first rounder most likely.

Considering what McD did to get Chriss, three top twenty picks should be plenty of leverage to get us a star from the draft...

...so we accomplish both goals at once, playing hard and winning, and getting a high draft pick.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

See, the draft that netted us Bender and Chriss wasn’t nearly as loaded at the top as this one is considered to be. Remember it was considered a two man draft (Simmons and Ingram, and even Ingram didn’t have the upside of bagley, porter, ayton and possibly doncic and bamba). And even then McD was only able to swing into the 8th pick with multiple picks. The 8th pick this year will be 4-5 picks too late for the prize I’m eyeing.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
I don’t think you get it. Us “tankers” don’t always want to tank. In dismal seasons last and this I want to tank to get the JJs and one of the bigs this year. If we succeed in adding a porter/bagley/ayton/bamba I think the talent accumulation phase comes to a rest and it’s time to start winning some games.

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I don’t think you get it. Us “tankers” don’t always want to tank. In dismal seasons last and this I want to tank to get the JJs and one of the bigs this year. If we succeed in adding a porter/bagley/ayton/bamba I think the talent accumulation phase comes to a rest and it’s time to start winning some games.
I know you don't always want to do it, it just seems like always. We will tank but end up with the 6th pick, and then the next year will be a great draft, etc. Also, the one way we do NOT want to tank is with bad coaching. That is just lost time with these players and that may never be gained again. I want a good pick out of this next draft too. I just do not want to do it at the expense of the development of our present roster.

ColdPickleNachos

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
I don't get people pining for Frank. He is a total unknown. I was not impressed with him as a draft pick.

I am higher on him after seeing this high-quality video on his defensive impact on last night's Knicks win.

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score

I thought tanking was the intent of losing game(s) with the objective of achieving a better draft pick. The Suns have had a lot of dismal seasons so from my perspective proponents of tanking have been been in full force in recent years and this season as well. So I haven't seen a lot of gray area where tankers do not want to tank.

The Suns are in position this season to play their younger players and let them set the pace especially because Bledsoe and Chandler are likely to be traded. I'm content to see the young players develop and see where we land in the draft. Now if tanking is involved in losing a game or two after the All-Star break to tweak the standings, I can understand it but this does not seem where most tankers are. It appears they want to lose even now if the young players produce wins.

My thoughts are let the young players develop by playing under good coaching and take their knocks. They will be the better for it and the wins/losses will take care of themselves. I don't think the young Suns are ready to set the world on fire just yet.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Yes. The whole point is getting the young players developed so they can win.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I know you don't always want to do it, it just seems like always. We will tank but end up with the 6th pick, and then the next year will be a great draft, etc. Also, the one way we do NOT want to tank is with bad coaching. That is just lost time with these players and that may never be gained again. I want a good pick out of this next draft too. I just do not want to do it at the expense of the development of our present roster.

Also the Suns are getting to the point where trading for a potential young star is a possibility either before the trade deadline or preferably next summer.

Errntknght

Reaction score
I'm fine with trading Chandler but we should either waive Len or sign him for multiple years now, just in case he turns out to be as good consistently as his best games suggest is possible. Add Peters to the mix in the front court and rehab Sauce & Davon Reed as long as possible, just to give ourselves a little margin for error.

Don't forget the lesson of Hornacek's first season, you don't have to be better than another team to beat them, it's often only necessary to be better than they think you are. Who knows how long our 'laughing-stock' 3 game start will linger in our opponents minds.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm fine with trading Chandler but we should either waive Len or sign him for multiple years now, just in case he turns out to be as good consistently as his best games suggest is possible. Add Peters to the mix in the front court and rehab Sauce & Davon Reed as long as possible, just to give ourselves a little margin for error.

Don't forget the lesson of Hornacek's first season, you don't have to be better than another team to beat them, it's often only necessary to be better than they think you are. Who knows how long our 'laughing-stock' 3 game start will linger in our opponents minds.

Since Len signed the qualifying offer, he will become a free agent after the season. I don't think the Suns can try to sign him until then.

Carolinacacti

Hall of Famer
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Only good thing if Len plays out of his mind. Next year the Suns will have more money then any franchise in NBA history and Bird rights.

Errntknght

Reaction score
I think it also helps to have a coach who he has no negative history with... that said, Triano should start him over Chandler very soon to pump him up a bit.

3rdside

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
See, the draft that netted us Bender and Chriss wasn’t nearly as loaded at the top as this one is considered to be. Remember it was considered a two man draft (Simmons and Ingram, and even Ingram didn’t have the upside of bagley, porter, ayton and possibly doncic and bamba). And even then McD was only able to swing into the 8th pick with multiple picks. The 8th pick this year will be 4-5 picks too late for the prize I’m eyeing.

In a deep draft it means someone like a kawhi Leonard or antenkounmpo will be there at 12...if we have two picks, say 6 and 12 for example, we're effectively getting a 2fer chance (a really good one at that) at finding that guy.

I talked about a 2fer this year - say Dennis Smith or Jonathan Isaac and marrkannen - but decided that Jackson or Tatum were too much above the pack to warrant doing it.

I'd have no problem if we went that route in 2018.

Last edited:

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
In a deep draft it means someone like a kawhi Leonard or antenkounmpo will be there at 12...if we have two picks, say 6 and 12 for example, we're effectively getting a 2fer chance (a really good one at that) at finding that guy.

I talked about a 2fer this year - say Dennis Smith or Jonathan Isaac and marrkannen - but decided that Jackson or Tatum were too much above the pack to warrant doing it.

I'd have no problem if went that route in 2018.

And if the Suns get a first round pick for Bledsoe, they might be able to leverage it and move up slightly in the draft with one of the picks.

Another thing, if the Suns do not get Miami's 2018 pick, it is unprotected in 2019.

3rdside

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
*no problem going that route if it means we see some positive play from our team this season. I'm sick of sucking.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
*no problem going that route if it means we see some positive play from our team this season. I'm sick of sucking.

Nothing says the Suns cannot play the right way and still get a good draft pick.

3rdside

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
And if the Suns get a first round pick for Bledsoe, they might be able to leverage it and move up slightly in the draft with one of the picks.

Another thing, if the Suns do not get Miami's 2018 pick, it is unprotected in 2019.

I was thinking if we have three picks, say 10 (ours) 14 (Bledsoe proceeds) and 18 (Miami's) and we turn that into 6 and 12 (there's no science behind the numbers, just projecting based on the mechanics of the Chriss trade).

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dickiev22