The Arsenal FC thread

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Who is out there that is better than Wenger? I think it was the prudent move.

Mathew81

Whatever
Reaction score
I think it was probably a prudent move based on the fact that they've waited too long to make a decision. If they were going to make a move they should have made the decision months ago so that the new manager would be in place right at the beginning of the summer.

But Wenger isn't exactly working miracles here. He finished 5th with the 4th highest wages in the PL. There's plenty of managers who could do that.

Mathew81

Whatever
Reaction score
The day Thomas Tuchel leaves Dortmund? Come on, I don't buy the "too late" excuse.
They definitely have time to find someone to be manager. But the issue is giving the new manager time to identify what changes he needs to make and also deciding the future of quite a few players who's contracts are going to be up next year. It would have been much better to announce a couple of months ago that this would be Wenger's last year, give him a send off, and then line-up the next manager who could then have time to get prepare for the summer transfers, especially if Sanchez and/or Ozil are leaving. I think a move decided today, then at least a week (maybe more) to bring someone new in, at this point could leave them in a tough position. Not impossible but tougher than it should be so I can see the reasoning.

Personally, I am definitely ready for a move and have been since at least 2014. If they had announced today that Wenger wasn't getting a new deal, I'd be happy. I'd be concerned about the summer, but at least I'd have something different to look forward to instead of the same thing every season.

Stout

Hold onto the ball, Murray!
Reaction score
I'd kill for the kind of 'mediocrity' Arsenal have 'endured' the last few years under Wenger. I agree that he's been getting stale in the job, but damn, you lot just won ANOTHER FA Cup, and are complaining about mediocrity. Suffer some of the ups and downs of some other Premiership--or former--Premiership sides, and see how it feels :)

Mathew81

Whatever
Reaction score
I'd kill for the kind of 'mediocrity' Arsenal have 'endured' the last few years under Wenger. I agree that he's been getting stale in the job, but damn, you lot just won ANOTHER FA Cup, and are complaining about mediocrity. Suffer some of the ups and downs of some other Premiership--or former--Premiership sides, and see how it feels :)
It's all relative though. I'm sure Nottingham Forrest would kill to be in Newcastle's shoes. Arsenal are one of the top 10 richest clubs in the world. The FA Cups are great but a club with those resources should be doing better in the league and the CL.

Stout

Reaction score
It's all relative though. I'm sure Nottingham Forrest would kill to be in Newcastle's shoes. Arsenal are one of the top 10 richest clubs in the world. The FA Cups are great but a club with those resources should be doing better in the league and the CL.

They should be doing better. And, like I said, Wenger has gotten stale there. But mediocrity comments? Cry me a river :)

SO91

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score

Tuchel and Jardim. Even Allegri rumors a few months ago. Also, Tuchel was rumored to be leaving for months now. The Arsenal board had time to line up a replacement if they wanted to.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
They should be doing better. And, like I said, Wenger has gotten stale there. But mediocrity comments? Cry me a river :)
Honestly, you complaining about anything having to do with Arsenal is much ado about nothing. You're highlight is either a) avoiding relegation or b) squeaking into the Europa League. You don't have much room to complain. The bottom half of the table might as well be a different league than the top half.

Stout

Reaction score
Honestly, you complaining about anything having to do with Arsenal is much ado about nothing. You're highlight is either a) avoiding relegation or b) squeaking into the Europa League. You don't have much room to complain. The bottom half of the table might as well be a different league than the top half.

"We agree!" says Leicester City.

Also, it's 'your' BIM

:D

Wow, such shade you try to throw here, over what has been friendly banter. So, I'll keep it nice and light:

Your complaining about mediocrity is much ado about nothing. You whinge about a) finishing outside the top four for the first time since Moby Dick was a minnow or b) squeaking out an FA cup victory. You don't have much room to complain. The top half of the table might as well be a different league than the bottom half.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
"We agree!" says Leicester City.

Also, it's 'your' BIM

:D

Wow, such shade you try to throw here, over what has been friendly banter. So, I'll keep it nice and light:

Your complaining about mediocrity is much ado about nothing. You whinge about a) finishing outside the top four for the first time since Moby Dick was a minnow or b) squeaking out an FA cup victory. You don't have much room to complain. The top half of the table might as well be a different league than the bottom half.
Don't be foolish. You obviously have no idea what you're talking about when it comes to good teams. ;)

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
SMH in here.. lol

Here I am thrilled about a top 4 finish.

Lorenzo

Reaction score
I only watched one FA match that arsenal played in. The final. That was a different looking club than I watched play in the UCL and PL. yes Chelsea helped them by settling in. But my question is why do the Arsenal players pick and choose when to play confidence and with desire? It's a toxic situation there with their supporters and the press. I do think the FA cup can be a one off for them if they do not address these issues. Especially since Arsenal routinely struggled this year with both halves of the PL. Also having two clubs in London who are better than them seems to be what has them out of their comfort zone.

I think Wenger needed to retire. Go out on top with your record breaking trophy. And if or when Arsenal flounder a bit next season he gets the last laugh. He deserves better from the supporters yes, but I think his defiance and pride got the better of him and his club. Perhaps the trophy reaffirmed that he still has something left.

Last edited:

Lorenzo

Reaction score
You're right. Maybe I should become a Sunderland fan LOL
Lol. It's a shame Sunderland went down as Newcastle went back up. That is one match I am anticipating.

Newcastle have to over-spend for talent and on top of that will need some magic to ascend higher. But not impossible for them to climb back to where they once were if they can get a couple of strong players.

Arsenal supporters should be disappointed. Not so much the finish that had some momentum, but the uncertainty of where their club stands amongst the elite clubs in England. Both spurs and Chelsea seem to be a clear notch better. Then you have to think the Manchester clubs and Liverpool will improve with new regimes that they have.

Last edited:

Stout

Reaction score
Lol. It's a shame Sunderland went down as Newcastle went back up. That is one match I am anticipating.

Newcastle have to over-spend for talent and on top of that will need some magic to ascend higher. But not impossible for them to climb back to where they once were if they can get a couple of strong players.

Arsenal supporters should be disappointed. Not so much the finish that had some momentum, but the uncertainty of where their club stands amongst the elite clubs in England. Both spurs and Chelsea seem to be a clear notch better. Then you have to think the Manchester clubs and Liverpool will improve with new regimes that they have.

Yeah, I wanted to have the derby back, and to have one with Middlesbrough again too. Oh well.

Actually, a lot of experts say Newcastle have a leg up in the transfer market. One reason is the stadium size and fan base--I don't think that matters as much to lure players, but okay. The big one they say is that Newcastle pays transfer fees up front, and other teams only do it in installments. It makes other clubs want to do business, and willing to accept less money because they get it all up front.

For instance, Newcastle have only gotten 6 million from Tottenham so far for Sissokho, and will get only another 6 million this summer. That's a full year, and less than half the transfer fee.

Ronin

In your city
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Transfer window: Star striker Alexandre Lacazette joins Arsenal in monster move
The French forward has joined the English club

Transfer fee: According to Sky Sports, a fee of $60 million, with additional add-ons.

Player breakdown: A mobile, pacey and clinical striker, he's one of the best strikers in European soccer, and over the last four seasons he has averaged 28 goals.

Team fit: Considering Arsenal has lacked a star striker since Thierry Henry, it's a perfect fit. But when it comes to the system, he is near perfect. So great and running in behind and making diagonal runs, while also having the ability to create for himself while running at goal.

Positives: So strong for a smaller frame, speed and a world-class finisher.

http://www.cbssports.com/soccer/new...ndre-lacazette-joins-arsenal-in-monster-move/

Stout

Reaction score
I like the move, but if we do lose Alexis Sanchez (and it's looking like we might), it's more lateral than anything.

True. A lateral move at best, too, because Sanchez is so good. I thought he was supposed to announce something after Conf. Cup?

I have a buddy who is a big Arsenal supporter, so he's been keeping me updated.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
True. A lateral move at best, too, because Sanchez is so good. I thought he was supposed to announce something after Conf. Cup?

I have a buddy who is a big Arsenal supporter, so he's been keeping me updated.
Alexis is asking for an astronomical per-week salary. I'll be surprised if Arsenal pays it.

Mathew81

Whatever
Reaction score
Yeah, just hung out with my friend last night. He said it was something like 170,000 per week. Insane!
He's already making £140 per week. There was one report that said he is now asking for £400k per week. Another said Arsenal have offered £300k per week.

There were a lot of rumors of him moving to Bayern Munich, but they came out and said they can't meet his wage demands.

Lorenzo

Reaction score
Let him play in China they can probably meet his demands. Plus he might have a better chance to win the league there.