The Arsenal FC thread

SO91

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
I'll admit I started paying attention to this club because of the Sanchez signing, but holy crap is this team frustrating to watch. Luckily I've had experience supporting teams that make boneheaded mistakes and can't hold on to leads.

Mathew81

Whatever
Reaction score
Outside of Alexis, this season has been pretty bad so far. The rest of the team is performing well below last year. Plus, I'm really having a hard time understanding Wenger's tactics/substitutions. On Tuesday, we're 3-2 up and he brings on Podolski with only a few minutes left. Why? He's known for being lazy and his only good quality is his finishing. Today we're 2-1 down. Time to bring on Podolski when it actually makes sense? Nope, he brings on Sanogo who's never scored for us. Both games we were still bombing forward late in the game with a lead and allowing a ourselves to get counter attacked. It's especially frustrating because our back 4 is a make shift group that has been thrown together due to injuries and lack of depth. You would think he'd have the midfield be more conservative and offer some protection. Plus, everyone saw depth in the defense as a huge issue, yet Wenger didn't address it at all in the window.

The only good thing is, outside of Chelsea, no one else is playing particularly great either so finishing top 4 shouldn't be a tall order.

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'll admit I started paying attention to this club because of the Sanchez signing, but holy crap is this team frustrating to watch. Luckily I've had experience supporting teams that make boneheaded mistakes and can't hold on to leads.

Try being a Liverpool fan. Last year was great, but with Suarez leaving and Sturridge hurt all year, their offense has been flacid.

Arsenal would be in the bottom half of the table right now if it weren't for Sanchez. Best signing of the year hands down.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
The only good thing is, outside of Chelsea, no one else is playing particularly great either so finishing top 4 shouldn't be a tall order.

That's the problem. In Wenger's world, that's enough. I wish they would finish outside the top 4 to force his hand. What he's doing isn't working. If Hummels comes, it will be a big help, but we're still missing something. Perhaps when Giroud comes back 100%...

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
That's the problem. In Wenger's world, that's enough. I wish they would finish outside the top 4 to force his hand. What he's doing isn't working. If Hummels comes, it will be a big help, but we're still missing something. Perhaps when Giroud comes back 100%...

Hummels would be a big get for anyone in the BPL.

Mathew81

Whatever
Reaction score

I agree actually. What's really bad about being a fan right now is the stagnation. It's not interesting or exciting. The league title is basically out of reach already and we have no chance in the Champions League so it's just a race to qualify for next year's CL, which we'll have no chance of winning. It's rinse and repeat. Shaking things up feels necessary.

I don't see Giroud changing things much. I like him but I think the bigger problem offensively is that the midfield just isn't creating much. Ramsey, Cazorla, Wilshere have all been off so far. I think we miss Ozil more than people realize. He was playing pretty poorly as well but, if I remember right, he created the most chances in the PL last season despite all the criticism.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
It doesn't help that we are currently fielding a center-forward who can't score. Funny, a guy's issues don't miraculously clear up when he moves from Manchester United to Arsenal. I think Giroud will help in that respect.

Stout

Hold onto the ball, Murray!
Reaction score
Try being a Liverpool fan. Last year was great, but with Suarez leaving and Sturridge hurt all year, their offense has been flacid.

Arsenal would be in the bottom half of the table right now if it weren't for Sanchez. Best signing of the year hands down.

I think Liverpool still only has 1 goal by a striker. Newcastle's anemic offense has something like seven or so times that. Insanity.

SO91

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score

He's been terrific, and I'm so happy for him, but I think Chelsea has a couple of guys that could make a case.

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I think Liverpool still only has 1 goal by a striker. Newcastle's anemic offense has something like seven or so times that. Insanity.

It is beyond sad. I think we have a couple more weeks without Sturridge too.

Their midfield play isn't doing anything but pass the ball around the box. No one is supporting Balotelli and he is taking all of the blame.

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
He's been terrific, and I'm so happy for him, but I think Chelsea has a couple of guys that could make a case.

I suppose Costa has a case, Fabregas a little less so. Everyone knew Chelsea only needed a striker and they got the best one available. Nice to have endless pockets.... oh and some team stupid enough to give you 60M for David Luis.

Stout

Reaction score
I suppose Costa has a case, Fabregas a little less so. Everyone knew Chelsea only needed a striker and they got the best one available. Nice to have endless pockets.... oh and some team stupid enough to give you 60M for David Luis.

As a Newcastle fan, I call BS on any Liverpool fan complaining another team has endless pockets. Over the past few years, your team has probably spent 150-200 million more than mine ;)

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
As a Newcastle fan, I call BS on any Liverpool fan complaining another team has endless pockets. Over the past few years, your team has probably spent 150-200 million more than mine ;)

I suppose.....

Neo

Red Tape Sorter
Reaction score
It doesn't help that we are currently fielding a center-forward who can't score. Funny, a guy's issues don't miraculously clear up when he moves from Manchester United to Arsenal. I think Giroud will help in that respect.

My thought when we signed Wellbeck was that we decided that Sonogo was not the answer up front so we brought in someone with the exact same flaws, but who at least does not look like a deer on rollerskates when he misses. Wellbeck looks less clumsy than Sonogo when he misses, so that is an improvement.

The needs coming into this season were a world class striker (nope) a holding midfielder (nope) a replacement for Fabianski, Varmaelen and Sagna (Ospina, Debuchy would fill in nicely if they healthier; I am not sure about Chambers best position, but neither is Wenger).

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Why isn't Campbell getting a look?

Stout

Reaction score
Wenger doesn't think he's that good apparently. I'd be surprised if he isn't sold in January.

Hopefully Newcastle can get him for a cut-rate price. Don't know why Wenger didn't sell him in the summer if he wasn't in his plans. Could have gotten more in the transfer kitty after the WC.

Mathew81

Whatever
Reaction score
What a terrible, yet very predictable game. Worst start in the league since 1982.

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
What a terrible, yet very predictable game. Worst start in the league since 1982.

I actually loved Arsenal's 2nd half of this game. That was the most I have seen them attack in a long time. It was very fun to watch. Obviously it opened them up for their second goal..

That Giroud shot was golazo worthy.

Mathew81

Whatever
Reaction score
I actually loved Arsenal's 2nd half of this game. That was the most I have seen them attack in a long time. It was very fun to watch. Obviously it opened them up for their second goal..

That Giroud shot was golazo worthy.

Outside of the Giroud goal when it was already over, it was more of the same of what we've seen the rest of the season. Lots of possession with not a lot of great chances. They had some shots but they were generally easy saves. Also more of the same was giving up goals on very few chances. Arsenal are 10th in chances converted and dead last in chances converted against them.

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
One of the best Arsenal performances I have ever seen. They completed dominated City in the first half. Thoroughly deserving of that win.

azonaback

Reaction score
Sanchez is ready to pledge his future to Arsenal and sign a new deal to keep him with the Gunners until 2020.