The Bledsoe dilemma

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I don't see either player having any trade value at this point, not even a second-rounder. Smith was already waived several times in the last two seasons and seems to have had a hard time making an NBA roster. He's a trade throw-in. I don't see any team trading anything of value for him if they can just go to the D-League and find someone just like him or better.

Marshall has as much value right now as Wesley Johnson had when the Suns picked him up, which is none. More likely, a team would want something from the Suns for absorbing his one-year guaranteed salary.

The second round pick need not come to fruition. These type picks can have strings attached to make it unlikely to occur. Also the Suns could send some money with the trade to make it more attractive.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I dont see Utah doing a panic trade because their rookie pg is going to be out until early december. Even if their back up situation turns out to be terrible... is Marshall or Smith a worthy upgrade over "terrible"? No.

I just don't see Marshall or Smith, with the relatively small about of money involved, being a panic trade. They both have contracts that can expire.

Errntknght

Reaction score
Last year Utah was pretty well stocked with PGs but they got rid of Mo Williams, Tinsley and Earl Watson... as of now Gordon Haywood is their best playmaker. Marshall is probably an upgrade - at least for their halfcourt offense.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
I'd be surprised if anybody trades for Marshall or Smith right now. Other teams see the Suns has have 16 players, knowing that we have to either trade someone or release them. If the Jazz had any interest whatsoever in Smith or Marshall, they'd be better served to sit and wait and see who we waive and just pick them up. They don't have to give up anything then. And probably won't have to pay them as much (in Marshall's case).

Phrazbit

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I think pulling a trade because a guy is going to miss one month at the start of the year would be a panic move, no matter how little the guy they're bringing in is guaranteed.

And again, whats gained by having Marshall or Smith for a month? They could bring a guy up from the D-League who can provide 95% of the production (or lack-thereof) that those guys bring to the table and do it for 1/10th the cost.

slinslin

Welcome to Amareca
Reaction score
What I learn from this is once again that the Suns fanbase on the internet has turned into a bunch of losers taking out their frustration on rookies and 2nd year players for no real reason other than personal distaste.

There is no need for the Suns to trade Marshall.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yep, everyone is criticizing Marshall because we're all haters.

He can't play his position offensively or defensively but that's no reason for you to go all "hatery" on him. We should lock him up long term before some team in China tries to steal him away from us.

Steve

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score

Based on WHAT?? No need to trade him? The only alternative is to waive the guy, which is 2mil in useless money, or we keep him, which is also 2mil in useless money. The guy can't be traded because he isn't any good, but there is no universe where trading him ISN'T the best idea.

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Back to the original discussion about Bledsoe. After the first few preseason games it looks like Bledsoe will be filling more of the pg role and Dragic will be more of the scorer. Bledsoe is fast, a very good distributor, and a real pest on defense. That is a Jason Kidd-like combination of skills. Dragic seems to be very comfortable in a scoring role with some distribution. It looks like a combo that will work.

As far as Marshall or Smith. My hope is that it will be purely a basketball decision and that the money (which is not that big of a deal anyway) will not matter. It looks to me like Smith is more of an all-around player while Marshall can only distribute. Unless Marshall gets more aggressive with his shooting, he cannot really have much of a future in the league. You just cannot survive in this league if your only real asset is passing.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Back to the original discussion about Bledsoe. After the first few preseason games it looks like Bledsoe will be filling more of the pg role and Dragic will be more of the scorer. Bledsoe is fast, a very good distributor, and a real pest on defense. That is a Jason Kidd-like combination of skills. Dragic seems to be very comfortable in a scoring role with some distribution. It looks like a combo that will work.

The problem will be shooting with this backcourt. This is the Suns achilles heel not only in the backcourt but the team overall.

As far as Marshall or Smith. My hope is that it will be purely a basketball decision and that the money (which is not that big of a deal anyway) will not matter. It looks to me like Smith is more of an all-around player while Marshall can only distribute. Unless Marshall gets more aggressive with his shooting, he cannot really have much of a future in the league. You just cannot survive in this league if your only real asset is passing.

I can't remember a PG guard (Marshall) so deficient in shooting skills that it even carries over to the free throw line. Just don't know how Marshall was drafted this high when he is not athletic, can't shoot and is too slow to defend or penetrate offensively. Maybe one can get away being just a good passer in college but in the NBA, teams will exploit weaknesses. Between Smith and Marshall I'd rather have Smith, which is not a particular compliment to Smith.

sunsfan88

ASFN Icon
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
What I learn from this is once again that the Suns fanbase on the internet has turned into a bunch of losers taking out their frustration on rookies and 2nd year players for no real reason other than personal distaste.

Yea cause the fact that he sucks as a basketball player isn't reason enough.

Errntknght

Reaction score
I've been as down on Marshall as anyone but damned if he didn't look competent last night. He came in with five minutes to go and the Suns down over a dozen and ran the show. They got back within 1 point with 30 seconds to go then SD got an offensive rebound and we had to start fouling. His stat line doesn't look very good but he was the driving force. Kravtsov wound up with three assists in three minutes but two of those were on plays Kendall set up. He defended better and his shot even looked better. The only stat that looked good was +10 in five minutes. (Plus minus is not too meaningful for most players but for PGs its the ideal stat.)

Ish Smith looked pretty good, too. He's a fairly good defender and he ran a fast break well - though he didn't finish it successfully. He needs to improve his shooting but he's tough and quick so I think he could make a good backup on a fastbreaking team - now I'd say he was a work in progress.

I'd be inclined to choose Smith over Marshall but for a team that grinds it out in the halfcourt I'd pick Marshall - I'm not going to be too surprised if he does make it somewhere in the league.

Phrazbit

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I wonder when (if ever) another guard who couldnt score 10 ppg in college was taken in the lotto.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Avery Johnson

The thing about Avery Johnson, I liked his game even when he was bouncing around the league. I wanted the Suns to get him in the worst way. I can't remember him having such a terrible form on his shot as Marshall. Maybe the shooting percentages were similar but Avery was a dynamic player.

95pro

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
i realize rotations and playing time havent been consistent in all of our 5 games of preseason, but you'd hope he'd have one game where he has wowed us so far.

JS22

Say Vandelay!
Reaction score
I wonder when (if ever) another guard who couldnt score 10 ppg in college was taken in the lotto.

But..but...Jason Kidd 2.0 without the athleticism or defense!

SirStefan32

Krycek, Alex Krycek
Reaction score
The thing about Avery Johnson, I liked his game even when he was bouncing around the league. I wanted the Suns to get him in the worst way. I can't remember him having such a terrible form on his shot as Marshall. Maybe the shooting percentages were similar but Avery was a dynamic player.

I loved AJ, but he was an awful shooter. Without looking it up, I would be surprised if he averaged more than 20%from the three point range over the course of his career. Flip side is that he was smart enough to know he couldn't shoot, so he didn't shoot much. He was very good at getting to the rim and finishing there.

He was much quicker than Marshall, and he was a better defender. Most of all though, he was a leader. He may have been the worst individual contributor on the floor at any given time, but he was always the leader of that group.

Superbone

Phoenix native; Lifelong Suns Fan
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I loved AJ, but he was an awful shooter. Without looking it up, I would be surprised if he averaged more than 20%from the three point range over the course of his career. Flip side is that he was smart enough to know he couldn't shoot, so he didn't shoot much. He was very good at getting to the rim and finishing there.

He was much quicker than Marshall..

Who isn't? Jimmer looked like Speedy Gonzales last night zipping by Marshall.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score

He was much quicker than Marshall, and he was a better defender. Most of all though, he was a leader. He may have been the worst individual contributor on the floor at any given time, but he was always the leader of that group.

Avery Johnson was known as the "Little General." I think his shooting was much underrated for his career after a rocky start. I will not fault any player for not making a living at the 3 point line. His career stats are provided in the link below.

http://www.basketball-reference.com/players/j/johnsav01.html

elindholm

edited for content
Reaction score
I just brought him up because you asked for a PG who couldn't shoot free throws. .706 is pretty darn sad.

Latest posts

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SportsBetJake