The Bledsoe dilemma

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
True, but I think the reason for not being ready to commit money to each player is also different. I don't think the Suns hesitated on re-signing JJ early because they didn't think he was worth the money or that he wasn't an all-star level talent. I think they hesitated mainly because they thought that they could still win as many games, or close to as many, with one fewer big contract on payroll, even if the prospect for a title would be significantly impaired by breaking up the core. It was all about trimming payroll to avoid future LT.

With Bledsoe, that doesn't factor in because the Suns don't have any really large contracts, aren't in danger of getting anywhere near LT, and Bledsoe's price will be significantly less than JJ's was. So in this case the decision should be based purely on what the team thinks he is actually worth, which is where the uncertainty lies because he's accomplished so little thus far in his career.

I don't see that matching up with Sarver's comments to/about Joe especially when he acknowledged that Joe's improved play was going to cost him some money. I think we always wanted to keep Joe but he really wasn't consistent yet and they wanted him to improve his 3 point shot IIRC. He had a pretty good year for us but he still disappeared for stretches IMO. Keep in mind we're not talking about his final season with us but the one before that.

Steve

Griffin

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
I don't see that matching up with Sarver's comments to/about Joe especially when he acknowledged that Joe's improved play was going to cost him some money.
I don't know if we can put much weight into anything Sarver said. Certainly if you are making moves solely on the basis of cutting costs with no regard to the team's ability to compete for a title with the big spenders, then you wouldn't admit that to the public. That would not be a sound business strategy if you are also trying to sell tickets and maximize revenue. Imo, the Suns were never really serious about keeping Nash, Marion, Amare and JJ. That team was too expensive for the new ownership group. So one by one that core was dismantled, after just one season together.

KloD

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I don't see a dilemma. It seems obvious under the conditions that you wait until after the season and let the market dictate his price. He's an unknown to everyone for the most part. I think it would be silly to offer him any contract at this time. They should just wait it out and see how his season goes. If he doesn't live up to the hype and someone else wants to overpay, let him go. If he does, match. The Suns are in the drivers seat here and it's just not worth signing him now for potentially a few million less and having him bomb. I'd much rather they be sure of his value and pay him what he's worth under these circumstances.

Suns_fan69

Official ASFN Lurker
Reaction score
Worst post I have ever read on the internet.

How about trying to contribute to the discussion? Because to me, both those statements are bang on. 24 over 3 years is very manageable (short, well less than max for a young player) and OJ Mayo has shown a lot more than Bledsoe to this point.

Neo

Red Tape Sorter
Reaction score
Worst post I have ever read on the internet.

Clearly you have not been to the Politics and Religion forum, have ignored about half the stuff that I have posted, and have never scrolled to the comments below any online newspaper ever. Or perhaps you may be engaging in a little hyperbole.

While I don't think Mayo's contract is a good one, I have to agree that 24/3 is not "that damaging a contract." Also, if you compare Bledsoe and Mayo's stats at the same age, Mayo comes out ahead. http://www.basketball-reference.com...um=1&p1=mayooj01&y1=2011&p2=bledser01&y2=2013

I certainly hope that Bledsoe proves to be a better player than Mayo, but he has done nothing to prove that he is.

sunsfan88

ASFN Icon
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
How about trying to contribute to the discussion? Because to me, both those statements are bang on. 24 over 3 years is very manageable (short, well less than max for a young player) and OJ Mayo has shown a lot more than Bledsoe to this point.
Bledsoe hasn't even been able to show anything yet. Mayo has gotten every opportunity and his teams pass him on. He had a chance with the Grizzlies to be the star player for them, failed. He had a chance with Dallas to team with Dirk and at least push them into playoffs, failed. He isn't a guy that's starting material in the NBA in my opinion. I can't see him becoming a huge impact player or even a starter for the Bucks when they become good enough to make post season. If he's even still around that is.
I take it you don't read your own, which are unfailingly idiotic.
You must be registered for see images attach

Clearly you have not been to the Politics and Religion forum, have ignored about half the stuff that I have posted, and have never scrolled to the comments below any online newspaper ever. Or perhaps you may be engaging in a little hyperbole.

While I don't think Mayo's contract is a good one, I have to agree that 24/3 is not "that damaging a contract." Also, if you compare Bledsoe and Mayo's stats at the same age, Mayo comes out ahead. http://www.basketball-reference.com...um=1&p1=mayooj01&y1=2011&p2=bledser01&y2=2013

I certainly hope that Bledsoe proves to be a better player than Mayo, but he has done nothing to prove that he is.
Bledsoe hasn't gotten the opportunities! Even look at the per 36 stats you posted, Bledsoe takes far fewer shots than Mayo. Why? Because the Clippers have more than enough guys to take shots and Bledsoe hasn't ever been featured in an offense like Mayo has.

Even then, Bledsoe gets to the line at the same rate as Mayo (this should be embarrassing for Mayo) Bledsoe also rebounds at a much higher rate offensively and defensively and averages more assists tha him too.

Defensively, its not even close. Bledsoe is by far the better defender between the two.

So I think all this makes up for the 4 pt lapse in their scoring average which again, imo is because of a lack of opportunities as evidenced by their shot attempts.

Only thing Mayo is better than Bledsoe at is 3pt shooting in my opinion.

SirStefan32

Krycek, Alex Krycek
Reaction score
Mayo is a known entity. Everyone knows what Mayo is. Bledso is not a known entity. If you want to argue that Bledsoe may turn into a better player, that's fine, but to say that Mayo is not a better player right now is just silly. Mayo is a solid shooting guard who can score and defend. Bledsoe is an undersized shooting guard who has some potential. Mayo is definitely a better player right now.

Superbone

Phoenix native; Lifelong Suns Fan
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Mayo is a known entity. Everyone knows what Mayo is. Bledso is not a known entity. If you want to argue that Bledsoe may turn into a better player, that's fine, but to say that Mayo is not a better player right now is just silly. Mayo is a solid shooting guard who can score and defend. Bledsoe is an undersized shooting guard who has some potential. Mayo is definitely a better player right now.

Nah, it's still debatable. Mayo is nothing special.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
Thank you for that insightful analysis.

But it's true. Mayo is what he is. Bledsoe has a lot to show. Will he pan out? Maybe, maybe not. But the chances of Bledsoe being better than his stats show right now are A LOT higher than Mayo getting even marginally better than what he is now.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
But it's true. Mayo is what he is. Bledsoe has a lot to show. Will he pan out? Maybe, maybe not. But the chances of Bledsoe being better than his stats show right now are A LOT higher than Mayo getting even marginally better than what he is now.

I have to agree with Superbone and you on this subject. One thing I have already noted, Bledsoe commands my attention whenever he is on the court.

PhxGametime

Formerly Bball_31
Reaction score
Didn't know where to add but would anyone here consider Trading Morris brothers for Derrick Williams??

I'm liking the SF spot in Draft and the Suns could go many ways with Gortat or Kravtsov during/after Season but DWill could offer the Suns what Morris brothers can, eliminates 1 roster spot...

Wiggins, J Parker, A Gordon, G Robinson, Saric, Walker, B Ashley, J Young, J Grant, etc. The Season would determine rankings but that appears to be much deeper than PF and the Suns could fall anywhere in Draft from #2 to #10 (I actually think they'll be better than last year). With the depth at SF - and IF the Suns by any chance play better than expected and possibly having 3 1st Round Picks could move up in Draft to grab 1 of the top tier SF's (albeit no Team would Trade Wiggins) if they play MUCH better than most would assume.

With DWill that's no guarantee the Suns would be much improved this year but I wouldn't be disappointed with a top Pick even if they don't play well. The depth: Bledsoe, Dragic, Williams, Len, Goodwin, Plumlee, Green, Frye, Smith, and Christmas - possibly Tucker, Gortat, Kravtsov, or Brown (4 Free Agents). The roster isn't as crowded, and the Suns could Draft premiere talent at SF, or make a Trade for SF or PF with DWill capable at both positions.

I'm a U of A fan and really think DWill could be a starting caliber PF!!

carey

VVVV Saints Fan VVVV
Reaction score
Yes, I'd do that yesterday. Not that I think D. Williams is great, but I'd happily do a 2 for 1 that shipped them both out.

95pro

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I wouldn't care if we loss the Morris boys, Marshall and brown.

ASUCHRIS

ONE HEART BEAT!!!
Reaction score
Sadly, the Morri have no value, and together aren't even worth a flawed player like Williams.

Phrazbit

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Williams is capable of some monster nights but is really inconsistent, I'd be interested to see what he could do if a team kept him at PF full time instead of shifting him like Minny does.

However, the Morri are basically worthless as trade chips. Hopefully Markieff can show some kind of spark this year, he will certainly get a ton of PT, but I dont see any hope for Marcus. His only strength is as a catch and shoot player... and he is not particularly good in that department anyway. Pretty terrible at everything else.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
maybe a 2nd rounder?

Certainly don't think either is worth more. I'd like to keep Smith because he fits the Suns uptempo offense and trading Marshall clears more salary.

PhxGametime

Formerly Bball_31
Reaction score
I'd Trade Marshall for a 2nd Round Pick! I don't know the Jazz salary cap numbers but Marshall to the Jazz even before Trey Burks injury made sense.

Shannon Brown could be the 4th Suns player I'd consider Trading but if Marshall goes; I wouldn't mind seeing Goodwin and Brown backcourt (bench) with Smith getting occasional minutes...

Griffin

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
I wonder if Utah would have interest in Marshall or Smith.
maybe a 2nd rounder?
I don't see either player having any trade value at this point, not even a second-rounder. Smith was already waived several times in the last two seasons and seems to have had a hard time making an NBA roster. He's a trade throw-in. I don't see any team trading anything of value for him if they can just go to the D-League and find someone just like him or better.

Marshall has as much value right now as Wesley Johnson had when the Suns picked him up, which is none. More likely, a team would want something from the Suns for absorbing his one-year guaranteed salary.

Phrazbit

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I dont see Utah doing a panic trade because their rookie pg is going to be out until early december. Even if their back up situation turns out to be terrible... is Marshall or Smith a worthy upgrade over "terrible"? No.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SportsBetJake