The Vent Thread

mribnik

Reaction score
I don't think a rule against flopping is a good idea. It'd be too hard to tell during a game. However, I wouldn't mind if the league issued warnings and subsequent fines after obvious flops by viewing game tape.

I would love to see the league get rid of the half-circle in the key. They reasoning behind the circle is that a player cannot play defense if they are that far in the paint, which I think is a load of crap.

jbeecham

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Good point on both Stackhouse & Terry going into tantrums after a foul call with no technicals being assessed to them. Stackhouse was jumping around flailing his arms all over the place when he got called for the offensive foul against Bell and then Terry dives onto the ground crying in protest of a hand-checking or holding foul against Nash.

JS22

Say Vandelay!
Reaction score
All things being said, the Suns are about to blow a PERFECT opportunity for a championship. And you know what? They don't deserve one. You don't get down by 16, then storm back and build a 77-70 lead....only to throw it away. STEP ON THEIR THROATS. End the game! But nope, they cave once again.

The Heat have a great chance of advancing. The Suns are just throwing it away.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
Well, the good news is that Saturday is an elimination game at home. We should win that one pretty easily. ;)

MaoTosiFanClub

The problem
Reaction score
Good lord. Did everybody just focus on the couple questionable calls and not pay attention to the Suns playing matador defense on Dirk Nowitiski all night? The refs had no bearing on this game's outcome.

jibikao

Reaction score
WE WILL WIN GAME 6 AND WIN GAME 7 AGAIN!!! This has been the trend.

I was hoping maybe Suns can prove me wrong by beating Mavs in game 6. lol Wishful thinking. How many days of rest do we have if we win game 6? 3 days? Hopefully Pistons can push it to game 7 as well.

If you ask Spurs and Rocket fans, they will tell you how refs favor Mavs. I won't get into it 'cause the boxscore shows we gave up too many offensive rebounds again. Tim Thomas only had 3 rebounds in 41 mins??

jibikao

Reaction score
MaoTosiFanClub said:
Good lord. Did everybody just focus on the couple questionable calls and not pay attention to the Suns playing matador defense on Dirk Nowitiski all night? The refs had no bearing on this game's outcome.

Who was guarding Dirk? Marion?

MaoTosiFanClub

The problem
Reaction score
jibikao said:
Who was guarding Dirk? Marion?
Mostly Thomas, whose pathetic defensive and rebounding performance was mostly forgotten due to his terrific showing on the offensive end. Kind of a microcosm of his career.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
MaoTosiFanClub said:
Mostly Thomas, whose pathetic defensive and rebounding performance was mostly forgotten due to his terrific showing on the offensive end. Kind of a microcosm of his career.

Dirk had some easy shots, but all-and-all, outside of his offensive rebound putbacks, he had to work for that 50 points. The score is lopsided, but the game wasn't. Dirk was hitting everything he was putting up. Everything. It was as good a performance as I've seen in the playoffs.

(He does travel an awful lot though)

jibikao

Reaction score
MaoTosiFanClub said:

How come Marion wasn't on Dirk?

jbeecham

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
jibikao said:
How come Marion wasn't on Dirk?
When Marion guarded Dirk, Dirk went to the basket. When TT guarded Dirk, he mostly shot jumpers and struggled in the 1st half. In the 2nd half TT kept trying to help out other guys and Dirk got open 3's and went on fire.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
jbeecham said:
When Marion guarded Dirk, Dirk went to the basket. When TT guarded Dirk, he mostly shot jumpers and struggled in the 1st half. In the 2nd half TT kept trying to help out other guys and Dirk got open 3's and went on fire.

He had 17 points at halftime, I guess in the final count, that is "struggling". :D

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
One of the things I noticed also is that we never go to what's working through a whole game. Tim Thomas was starting to dominate the Mavs, and we stopped passing him the ball. Josh Howard was in foul trouble all through the 2nd half, but we never tried to get that 5th one out of him. It's stuff like that that is very frustrating.

jibikao

Reaction score
Evil Ash said:
Since Howard went off in game 3, they made the switch so that he is defending Howard

But Dirk had 50 pts.... I think he deserves more attention than Howard? lol Well, Howard had over 20pt again and Mavs won. Man, we gotta break that myth.

ArizonaSportsFan

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Chaplin said:
One of the things I noticed also is that we never go to what's working through a whole game. Tim Thomas was starting to dominate the Mavs, and we stopped passing him the ball. Josh Howard was in foul trouble all through the 2nd half, but we never tried to get that 5th one out of him. It's stuff like that that is very frustrating.
You are absolutely correct on this Chaplin. Though I am a die-hard Suns fan - to a fault - I don't think they can win a championship with this style of play. It is NOT because they are not good. It is because playoff games are different and D'Antoni doesn't see it, apparently. How did they extend the lead and salt away game 4. They attacked the rim. Tonight, stood outside and took lower percentage shots. Go through Diop - he is never set. Go around Dirk - he hates defense. Draw the fifth and sixth on Howard - he playes defense with his hands. But no. For some reason, Coach doesn't see the easy points there for the taking. Dallas is ripe for the picking, but Coach doesn't see it. I guess if you can't win from the outside, you shouldn't even try to win.

Evil Ash

Henchman Supreme
Reaction score
jibikao said:
But Dirk had 50 pts.... I think he deserves more attention than Howard? lol Well, Howard had over 20pt again and Mavs won. Man, we gotta break that myth.

But he had 13 pts in game 4 with TT defending him. Dirk is going to get his points pretty much no matter what.

Its how his teammates react that determines how well Dallas plays. Hence the move

M3Man

Reaction score
Just got home from the game. That is one exciting, scary team you guys root for out there in the desert. I never felt this was in the bag until the Mavs led by 14 with under 2 left. That is the level of respect and fear I have for the Suns.

I'm not here to rub it in. Just imagine how much fun we had here all those years when we had Dirk and Steve. It was cool watching them swapping 3's out there. I even booed Nash once or twice, but it was always half hearted. We still love him here, how could we not. Of course its easier to love him when he's losing to us. I'll be happy when he gets his ring.I just need Dirk to get his 1st.

As I have said here before, we have one of the few teams with enough speed to get out on your 3 point shooters with any kind of consistency. As we saw in the 3rd quarter, it only takes a blink of an eye for PHX to score a bunch, so this is not in the bag by any stretch of the imagination. Hope Mavs fans don't make that mistake again.

I heard Avery on the radio driving home saying they tried a new pick and roll defense on TT. He said that play will never be seen again.

Winning in PHX will be much harder, but still possible. But based on PHX in this series, I'm predicting Mavs in 7.

jf-08

chohan
Administrator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
M3Man said:
Just got home from the game. That is one exciting, scary team you guys root for out there in the desert. I never felt this was in the bag until the Mavs led by 14 with under 2 left. That is the level of respect and fear I have for the Suns.

I'm not here to rub it in. Just imagine how much fun we had here all those years when we had Dirk and Steve. It was cool watching them swapping 3's out there. I even booed Nash once or twice, but it was always half hearted. We still love him here, how could we not. Of course its easier to love him when he's losing to us. I'll be happy when he gets his ring.I just need Dirk to get his 1st.

As I have said here before, we have one of the few teams with enough speed to get out on your 3 point shooters with any kind of consistency. As we saw in the 3rd quarter, it only takes a blink of an eye for PHX to score a bunch, so this is not in the bag by any stretch of the imagination. Hope Mavs fans don't make that mistake again.

I heard Avery on the radio driving home saying they tried a new pick and roll defense on TT. He said that play will never be seen again.

Winning in PHX will be much harder, but still possible. But based on PHX in this series, I'm predicting Mavs in 7.
Dirk's game tonight was legendary.

Wow. He took the team on his shoulders and killed us.

Half a hundeeee.

:bang:

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
Card Trader said:
People that say that officials didn't have an impact on the game are fooling themselves....actually wait, even THEY can't believe that.

while watching the game i didn't see anything all that egregious except for the phantom call on marion. you might argue that the refs decided the game by calling ticky tacky fouls, but they went both ways and the suns stopped be aggressive, so they didn't take advantage of the way the game was being called. hell, you could argue that the refs kept the suns in the game during the first quarter.

what this boiled down to was nash, diaw, and barbs shooting 16 for 45 or something like that. we're not gonna win when nash goes 6 for 15. he started forcing some offense in the fourth. and why we never got tt in the post with the mismatches after the pick and rolls i will never understand. i was yelling at the television when they started to switch on the pick and roll and didn't get the wide open treys for tt.

jibikao

Reaction score
M3Man said:

No, Suns will win in game 7!!!!!! Believe. Thanks for the reasonable post.

We just need some rest before game 7 and we'll take it. Too bad we don't have Amare and healthier Kurt Thomas.