Thomas NOT returning

Covert Rain

Father smelt of elderberries!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
BEERZ said:
I agree TT would help IF Amare cant play anymore. But you cant sign a guy on that alone.

Jones lost his shot in the playoffs, but he does ALOT or other things on the floor. JJ bring rebounding, shotblocking & defence not to mention when he gets his shot back he is a pretty complete player.n

JJ is 6'8 who plays bigger, TT is 6'10 and plays smaller.

Yeah but I would rather take TT knowing what I will get at least in the playoffs versus JJ dissappearing again in the playoffs.

I wouldn't mind them trading JJ, clearing up more space then trying to sign a bigger tier agent.

Goldfield

Formally known as BEERZ
Reaction score
I think JJ is gunna be a pretty solid guy for the Suns. Pluss he has a good contract.

Evil Ash

Henchman Supreme
Reaction score
SteelDog said:
Yeah but I would rather take TT knowing what I will get at least in the playoffs versus JJ dissappearing again in the playoffs.

I wouldn't mind them trading JJ, clearing up more space then trying to sign a bigger tier agent.

Trading JJ wouldn't free up cap room. We are massively over the cap, it would take a lot to get us under

We have the MLE and vet min deals to sign FAs and thats it

Evil Ash

Henchman Supreme
Reaction score
SteelDog said:
In there lies the problem. The Suns are not going to bring in anybody that they were not going to before. They already decided on the free agent values. I don't see any backup point guard on the free agent list, that is all of the sudden worth more money then we were going to throw at them before. So to me, if the Suns do, they overspend. That's worse.

Even if they go after someone on that list, we would be lucky if they turn out to be a decent backup.

Not really. Just using the Jackson/Harpring option that I brought up earlier.

You can sign Jackson to a deal starting at $2 million and Harpring at $2.5 million. Thats not overpaying, thats paying aroung market value

hsandhu

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
cheesebeef said:
If anything, for me, TT was a backup plan or a GREAT piece of what could be a dominating puzzle. If Amare couldn't return, but KT and TT were healthy and everyone else was healthy, we'd still have a shot at the title.

With the re-seeding, unless someone major on Dallas and San Antonio gets hurt we would have a very small chance of winning a title without amare. Regardless of whether tim thomas was here or not. Because we would likely have to beat both of them in the playoffs w/o amare. Not happening.

SactownSunsFan

Welcome to the Age of Ayton
Reaction score
BEERZ said:
I agree TT would help IF Amare cant play anymore. But you cant sign a guy on that alone.

Jones lost his shot in the playoffs, but he does ALOT or other things on the floor. JJ bring rebounding, shotblocking & defence not to mention when he gets his shot back he is a pretty complete player.n

JJ is 6'8 who plays bigger, TT is 6'10 and plays smaller.

I also agree with you. James Jones was hardly worthless in the playoffs. Yes, he couldn't hit a shot to save his life, but he did everything else well, and did a lot of the small things that helps to win games. Can't really ask anything more from your 3rd-4th guy off the bench, and if he can regain his shooting confidence when it matters in next year's playoffs he could very well fill the role that Tim Thomas had for us.

Evil Ash

Henchman Supreme
Reaction score
boisesuns said:
Did Harpering have Micro on both knees??

I know he had surgery on both knees but I'm not sure if it was Micro on both. Which is also the reason he can probably be had cheap on a short term deal

Its just an example though. I just want someone to help with the rebounding and interior defense as well as someone to backup Nash. I'm open to suggestions

sly fly

Devil Me This
Reaction score
Awesome news. The Suns didn't bite. TT, it was nice knowing ya. Hope it works out for you in L.A.

Why would the Suns strap themselves even further by giving TT the same amount the Clips did? Did any of you REALLY want TT signed for 5 years?

This gives the Suns more flexibility in:
A.) Re-signing Diaw/Barbosa
B.) Deepening their bench.

PHX was leading the Pacific WITHOUT Tim Thomas and Amare.

The 2 players most expendable are James Jones and Kurt Thomas. I fully expect PHX to address the backup PG/C position with these 2 players and a combination of the cap space they have left.

This is a far cry from the JJ fiasco last year.

Nasser22

Sec. 32: Go Devils!
Reaction score
Nice job Tim. What was all that "I fit in here" **** about? lol Damn this loss hurts, but hopefully they can get some good free agents now. It frees up some money. I'm thinking Harpring and someone else...maybe Lindsey Hunter, yipee!
You must be registered for see images
Waiting on Amare now.
But you look at Matt Harpring and his stats were similar to Thomas' and he should be better in our offense with Nash. I would rather have gotten rid of Tim Thomas than any other player that may have left instead(Kurt, Marion, Jones).

Joe Mama

Supporting Member
Reaction score
sly fly said:
Awesome news. The Suns didn't bite. TT, it was nice knowing ya. Hope it works out for you in L.A.

Why would the Suns strap themselves even further by giving TT the same amount the Clips did? Did any of you REALLY want TT signed for 5 years?

This gives the Suns more flexibility in:
A.) Re-signing Diaw/Barbosa
B.) Deepening their bench.

PHX was leading the Pacific WITHOUT Tim Thomas and Amare.

The 2 players most expendable are James Jones and Kurt Thomas. I fully expect PHX to address the backup PG/C position with these 2 players and a combination of the cap space they have left.

This is a far cry from the JJ fiasco last year.

I was with you until you're lying about Kurt Thomas being expendable. The Phoenix Suns were leading the Pacific division in large part because of Kurt Thomas's defense and rebounding. There's no way I would trade him unless they were getting back someone who does those things as well or better, and that's not going to happen.

James Jones really struggled shooting in the playoffs, but there were a couple of games where he really contributed defensively and with just flat out hustle. He'll probably contribute more than have anything to Phoenix Suns would get in return for him at this point.

Joe

Nasser22

Sec. 32: Go Devils!
Reaction score
I loved James Jones' D and hustle. You can never have too much of that and that's why I'd like him back. You can't really judge a player in his first playoff appearance. He put a lot of effort out there. I'm sure he won't suddenly forget how to shoot again. At least, I hope not.

boisesuns

Standing Tall And Traded
Reaction score
Joe Mama said:
I was with you until you're lying about Kurt Thomas being expendable. The Phoenix Suns were leading the Pacific division in large part because of Kurt Thomas's defense and rebounding. There's no way I would trade him unless they were getting back someone who does those things as well or better, and that's not going to happen.

James Jones really struggled shooting in the playoffs, but there were a couple of games where he really contributed defensively and with just flat out hustle. He'll probably contribute more than have anything to Phoenix Suns would get in return for him at this point.

Joe

You are right on with this Joe. We got killed in the playoffs by too many drives and KT and Amare will change that.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
hsandhu said:
With the re-seeding, unless someone major on Dallas and San Antonio gets hurt we would have a very small chance of winning a title without amare. Regardless of whether tim thomas was here or not. Because we would likely have to beat both of them in the playoffs w/o amare. Not happening.

that's probably true - although, with Bell healthy this year, we probably beat Dallas and considering we were on pace for 60 wins after our 4-5 start with KT, if you add TT to that mix, it only makes that squad better as well.

But - more than likely, and almost to a certainty, the only way we beat SA is if Amare's 100% healthy.

newfan101

Registered
Reaction score
So we completely trade out of the draft, and outright sell one of the picks, in order to save (according to them) 9 million dollars, to be used to resign Tim Thomas. Then they offer him 3 years starting at less than 4 million a year? My God, what were they planning on offering him before the draft?

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
slinslin said:
So cheese what about those draft day deals to free up money?

I'd say... and I NEVER thought I'd say this nonsense... thank God we have the Cardinals who actually spend money! TRAINING CAMP'S ONLY WEEKS AGAO... IT'S TIME TO SEE RED! :)

We've got to see if we actually spend all of the MLE and what we get. Losing TT hurts right now, but if they can somehow get a decent backup PG and another frontcourt player who can shoot the three, all is not lost (although, getting BOTH of those guys seems to be HIGHLY unlikley).

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
BEERZ said:
Good, TT is fools gold, a 6'10 guy who plays like a guard. Give me Bobby Jackson! That guy plays with fire...

you're missing the point, it should've been both. that was the plan. saving young picks for bobby jackson? feech. BOOBER has been burned AGAIN.

Evil Ash

Henchman Supreme
Reaction score
Ouchie-Z-Clown said:
you're missing the point, it should've been both. that was the plan. saving young picks for bobby jackson? feech. BOOBER has been burned AGAIN.

But we weren't getting both no matter the spin. Jackson was NOT signing for the minimum.

Some of the outrage here is justified but a lot of it is people using their imaginations saying we were getting players that we can't.

joeshmo

Kangol Hat Aficionado
Reaction score
cheesebeef said:
TRAINING CAMP'S ONLY WEEKS AGAO... IT'S TIME TO SEE RED! :)

28 days and the players report for duty.:thumbup:

Alan

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
This is just terrible. The Suns were a terrible team before TT joined the roster ... they can't expect to win with KT!

/end sarcasm.

The sky isn't fallling, guys.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
newfan101 said:
Bingo. You nailed it on the head. I cant wait to hear the spin on this one.

" . . . and here's your first round pick for the eight year in a row . . . AMARE STOUDEMIRE!"

overseascardfan

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
First off we took a huge gamble on TT when we should have taken a big Josh Boone and a PG Sergio Rodriguez but we didn't. Now we have few options if we have 9 mil like were suppose to have we could go after a big FA like Jared Jefferies or Chris Wilcox who is said to have a high interest in PHX or 2 smaller FA like Pryzbilla and someone like BJ or Lindsay for 1 year and keep all draft picks next year and take a 3, 5, and 1. According to SI's 2007 mock they have the Hawks pick at 4 and us using it to take Durant. If the BOS pick is 11 we should take Aaron Gray or Roy Hibbert and a PG like Mario Chalmers with our own pick.

Zobaczcie suki

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
panfolk said:
:( So much for frontcourt depth.

So much for all that nice talk at the end of the season. And why could we have offered him the full exception?

Evil Ash

Henchman Supreme
Reaction score
Absolute Zero said:
So much for all that nice talk at the end of the season. And why could we have offered him the full exception?

We could but it would affect the ability to get depth at another key position ... backup PG. The most I would've offered TT is a deal starting at $4 million so that we would have the equivalent of the LLE to sign a backup PG, which would give us a shot at Hunter (Jackson would probably want more then that).

However if we signed TT to the full MLE, we would have only vet minimum contracts to use to sign a backup PG. For that amount we probably weren't going to get anyone we liked

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dbacks05