What Does Shawn Think?

azirish

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
I was listening to ESPN radio and they interviewed CHRIS BROUSSARD (I think it was him although it was pronoucned like Bucher ??). He made a comment that struck me, that Marion wants to have nothing to do with the Celtics.

He didn't give a source and was not challenged on that point, but it is something that has not been considered. There has been some kind of implicit assumption that Marion wants to go somewhere where he can be either "the main man" or at least a bigger part of the offense. But it seems reasonable to assume that he also does not want to go to a bad team.

Does it make any difference? If Marion was simply an expiring contract, it wouldn't. But every deal assumes that whoever is making the trade wants what Marion can bring to the table and is likely to be able to re-sign for a lower amount when his contract comes up. But how much would they pay if they are sure that did not want to be on the team and would leave in two years no matter what.

The same holds for free agency in couple of years. Marion gets a choice of more money/attention on one hand versus playing for a top team. If BROUSSARD is right about the Celtics, it would suggest he may not be quite as antsy to move as some seem to think. It would also reduce his attractiveness to other teams.

At this point, Kerr needs to sit him down and make it clear that the Suns do not want to trade him, but he needs to keep his mouth shut and stop complaining. It might not be a bad idea to tell him the facts of life about his shot selection and lack of improvement in his offensive skill set.

The bottom line is that if he's not happy in Phoenix, he can be moved but he's not going to like where. If he'd rather stay, then he needs to stop complaining and work on getting better.

Last edited:

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
man would I be furious if this was the reason the deal didn't go down. screw Shawn Marion and his whining ass is this is really the case.

OP
OP
azirish

azirish

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
man would I be furious if this was the reason the deal didn't go down. screw Shawn Marion and his whining ass is this is really the case.

I'm sure that his fear of that will change his mind. ;)

Seriously, would you trade for a guy who clearly does not want to play for you? Even Danny Ainge would think twice considering the price.

arwillan

The King
Reaction score
RE the title of this thread- WHO CARES?

i would tell him that if he is going to stop a deal from happening to improve the suns, his days in the coming year(s) will be miserable with the suns. never give him the ball on offense, see how he likes that

virtual_9mm

Reaction score
At the very least, it will stop him from whining.

Maybe he'll even work on his game this summer.

OP
OP
azirish

azirish

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
It was Ric Bucher from ESPN

Thank you. They introduced him as being from espn.com, but I didn't see him listed and that seemed like pretty weird pronounciation.

Does anybody know how this guy is? He had some great stuff on the Lakers.

cly2tw

Reaction score
First, who cares what Marion thinks.

2nd, what's his leverage? Threatening to opt out and take the MLE for the rest of his career? LOL! Teams with cap room to sign him to what he deserves which is about 10 mil per are mostly perennial lottery teams and would save their money for a "franchise" player anyway.

dodie53

A. O. II
Reaction score
First, who cares what Marion thinks.

2nd, what's his leverage? Threatening to opt out and take the MLE for the rest of his career? LOL! Teams with cap room to sign him to what he deserves which is about 10 mil per are mostly perennial lottery teams and would save their money for a "franchise" player anyway.

i think marion is worth 10mil per year too..

YouJustGotSUNSD

Custom User Title!
Reaction score
Personally, I think no athlete is worth more than a million. But I digress...

HooverDam

Reaction score
Well while Boston is bad, adding Marion would obviously make them a lot better, so who knows how much he'd hate it. The real problem that I would imagine is that Marion (who apparently wants to be 'the man') still wouldn't be that in Boston. Pierce has been there forever, and Al Jefferson is a rising star, he may be the 3rd star (or at least 2nd) once again.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
which winning team, if marion will be added there will make him 'the man'?

IMO, none. I don't think Marion ever wanted to be the man, however, I think he could feel under appreciated in terms of media attention given to Phoenix' other two stars (Nash and Amare). I don't think Marion will ever become the top dog (except maybe in terms of money and all-star selections) since he cannot carry a team. Marion should be very happy with the recognition he has already achieved.

Marion is a very nice star quality role player but he is not worth a max contract... but that was decided long ago.

Freddie

Registered
Reaction score
Someone should tell Marion that this is a business and he should act professional if he is traded.

YouJustGotSUNSD

Custom User Title!
Reaction score
If I were marion I would totally take on the same attitude. I would be mad that I am overshadowed for everything I do for the team. I would be spiteful when not winning awards year after year for my assertive and versatile defensive skills. I would be flabbergasted for fans putting me behind two other teammates. I would dream about how amazing I would be as the leader of any other playoff-worthy team.

Then I would realize I am playing for the phoenix suns for 17 million a year and promptly shut the fukc up.

elindholm

edited for content
Reaction score
We can't be too hypocritical here. Our hopes for Garnett rest on Garnett telling the Wolves that he will refuse to play for so-and-so. We can't criticize Marion for doing the same thing.

But we can criticize Marion's logic. He doesn't want to be a supporting member of a good team, and he doesn't want to be The Man on a bad team. Now he doesn't want to be the #2 guy on a mediocre team. What's left? He wants to be The Man on a good team.

Well, Mr. Marion, I'm very sorry to break this news to you, but you simply aren't good enough for that. There are a small handful of players who are good enough to be the best player on a good team, and you aren't one of them. It's time that you recognized that once and for all and stopped whining about every situation that doesn't match your ideal fantasy -- because the fantasy ain't real.

KnowwhatI'msayin?

TucsonDevil

Good to be back!
Reaction score
The closer the Draft comes, the more I become a skeptic with the college prospects. With that in mind, I pose this question: who can you get @ #5 that would be worth giving up Marion?

I do understand the argument of 'salary cap' concerns, as well as the perspective of having a good player on-the-cheap for three-four years, rather than an All-Star for one year. But let's consider the options at #5...

Corey Brewer - I am beginning to believe he is a lot of hype.
Mike Conley Jr - this is the only player that I think is a SURE HIT
Yi - has flop written all over him
Spencer Hawes - I laughed when I read that Kevin McHale sees a lot of him in Mr. Hawes... Kevin clearly doesn't watch old film of himself with the Celtics.
Julian Wright - ? complete ?
Al Horton - now, he does interest me a little... just a little.
Joaquin Noah - he is going to stink

The only guys in this draft that are no-brainers will be gone #1, #2, and #3. I am also assuming that Brandon Wright goes #4, rather than Conley.

So, are any of those players worth the risk of losing of 4x All-Star Marion?

My answer: YES! can't wait to be rid of the complainer, and his disappearing act against playoff opponents... knowwhatImsayn'?

Sean, good luck with a lousy team with no real point guard. You are going to find it very hard to score points, since we know you can't dribble and create space. You are going to wake up nights, sweating, wishing you still had Starbury or Nash to get you the ball and take pressure away from you.

YouJustGotSUNSD

Custom User Title!
Reaction score
The boston deal alone will not bring us anything better than Marion. I am confident in that.

The only reason people were discussing it was because sarver was allegedly going to cut cash, marions contract is huge, and it was assumed inevitable. If he was putting up 20/10 at 12 million a year. This wouldnt ever had been discussed.

People were happy with the idea of landing the #5, but once it happened Im pretty sure we would realize teh #5, a backup PG, and whatever else wouldnt improve what marion gives

CardsFan88

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Does any of this really matter? I see all these trade threads, and think we could be good with kg, not so sure of the fit kobe would bring. But if we made a trade there is a good 30-40 percent chance imho that we are a worse team next year.

Next year we are the favorites, or one of the top 3 favorites to win the title if we stand pat. I'm in no 'march to war' for a trade with these suns players.

Some say if we had kg/amare/nash or kg/nash/kobe we'd be unstoppable, we'd be the best team in history, etc, etc.

Drexler, Hakeem(akeem) won a couple of championships, then they traded for barkley. I though they would win it again, after all they had drexler, hakeem, and barkley, but they didn't.

So I don't think we would neccesarily be better by rocking the boat, and I definitely think we could take a step back. What if we do take that step back and sarver goes cheap on us since he has to pay and is locked into even more salary? Start dumping good players, more picks?

If we get kg, i won't be mad, although I don't want to give up marion and think we'd start seeing what we missed as soon as he left and would regret it immensly.

I don't want kobe, I don't want to give up barbosa, armare, nor atlanta's pick.

I'm fine with the team we have. I'm fine with our team having one of the best if not the best shot at the title next year. Why then would a team think about partially blowing up the team? In my mind, making some trades, regardless of who we get, gives other teams chances to catch up, and will give other gm's a smile.

Last edited:

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
In my mind, making some trades, regardless of who we get, gives other teams chances to catch up, and will give other gm's a smile.

i we get KG for Marion and a guy DA is loathe to play, no GM in their right mind is going to smile about anything regarding the Suns. They'll win 70 games and steamroll their way to a title.

that being said, i believe this deal is too good to be true.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
i we get KG for Marion and a guy DA is loathe to play, no GM in their right mind is going to smile about anything regarding the Suns. They'll win 70 games and steamroll their way to a title.

that being said, i believe this deal is too good to be true.

:thumbup:

Hell hath frozen over...

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dbacks05