Who will the Suns draft at #13?

Phrazbit

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Quincy Miller can be a poor man's Kevin Durant.

Skill wise, I would say that he has the same as Durant when Durant was his age. Durant is definitely more athletic but Miller is still recovering from the ACL so maybe the Suns staff can fix him back up?

Definitely wouldn't mind him at #13.

At Miller's age Durant was putting up 28-12 averages in the same conference. I wouldnt mind trading for an extra pick and taking him in the mid-late 20s but at 13 he would be a huuuuge reach.

sunsfan88

ASFN Icon
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
I'm not saying Miller's already there, but before his ACL injury, he "looked" like a Durant clone.

He still has great size and wingspan, and his scoring tools are fantastic but he doesn't have his athleticism back from the surgery.

Yea may be a reach at #13, I'm kinda hoping we trade #13 to Boston for both of their picks.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm not saying Miller's already there, but before his ACL injury, he "looked" like a Durant clone.

He still has great size and wingspan, and his scoring tools are fantastic but he doesn't have his athleticism back from the surgery.

Yea may be a reach at #13, I'm kinda hoping we trade #13 to Boston for both of their picks.

I don't know what Miller will end up being but Durant as a young college freshman was a once in a generation kind of player. Miller, at that stage, was no more a poor man's Durant than any other player with above average length. Someone will fall in love with him because of his wingspan but to do it they'll have to ignore the obvious problems with his game (very poor shooting form, easy to block at NBA level, can't hold his position defensively, lacks lateral quickness and melts under physical play). He's the kind of long shot gamble you love to take at the end of the first round because he does have some assets but I wouldn't touch him in the top 15 of a strong draft.

Steve

overseascardfan

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Kevin Love was a far superior college player to Sullinger. I don't hate the idea of taking Sullinger if he's there at 13 but he's nothing like Love - he's part Danny Fortson, part Corliss Williamson and part Kurt Thomas IMO. A Boozer comparison isn't far off the mark although I think a healthy Carlos is a better NBA player than Sullinger will be (except for maybe crunch time).

Stats are great but College numbers are almost as irrelevant as High School numbers. If he could just move his feet enough to get an easier shot now and then and to play decent defense on the blocks he'd be a good all around power forward but he'll get eaten alive in the NBA.

Steve

NBA scouts had the same reservations about Love coming out: he wasn't athletic enough, plays below the rim, subpar defender. Their strengths were rebounding, low post game and a mid range jump shot. Had Sullinger came out last year he goes in the Top 5, he made a big mistake coming back when Davis and Drummond were only going to school for a year. I think his strength will help him hold his ground against taller but weaker PF's, people forget the guy measured at 6'10 last year at a skills camp its not like he is a 6'6 Dajuan Blair clone. He is the player I hope PHX gets at #13.

Last edited:

ASUCHRIS

ONE HEART BEAT!!!
Reaction score
I don't know what Miller will end up being but Durant as a young college freshman was a once in a generation kind of player. Miller, at that stage, was no more a poor man's Durant than any other player with above average length. Someone will fall in love with him because of his wingspan but to do it they'll have to ignore the obvious problems with his game (very poor shooting form, easy to block at NBA level, can't hold his position defensively, lacks lateral quickness and melts under physical play). He's the kind of long shot gamble you love to take at the end of the first round because he does have some assets but I wouldn't touch him in the top 15 of a strong draft.

Steve

Perfectly stated, and he's positioned as much in most mock drafts.

sunsfan88

ASFN Icon
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score

Steve
Are we talking about the same guy? I agree that he needs to get A LOT stronger but he's only 19 years old, don't forget that so he can easily do it with a great work ethic like his. And the Durant comaprison was only if he can get back the same athleticism he had before his injury cause watching him run and jump before he tore his ACL, I don't think calling him a "poor man's Durant" is much of an overstatement.

As far so to him being easy to block at the NBA level, lacking quickness and melting in the paint, I disagree....here's the scouting report on him too.
he moves very fluidly for a player his size, looking comfortable playing on the perimeter on both ends of the floor.

With Miller's ability to create his own shot on the perimeter, make 3-pointers or utilize his superior size in the paint, he could be a very difficult player to game-plan against on a nightly basis, especially considering his solid passing skills.

Inside the paint, Miller has excellent potential, as he is able to get his shot off almost whenever he wants against collegiate-sized (or even most NBA-sized) small forwards.

Miller's most impressive attribute might be his ability to create shots off the dribble. He doesn't have the most explosive first step, but he has outstanding scoring instincts, doing a nice job utilizing shot fakes and showing terrific ball-handling skills for a player at 6-9. He's able to put the ball on the floor with either hand and utilize crossovers, hesitations, spin moves, jukes, and step-back dribbles to create separation to get his shot off, with superb body control and very polished footwork.

Sounds at least a bit like Durant doesn't it? :D

But yea I agree, #13 is probably too high.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Are we talking about the same guy? I agree that he needs to get A LOT stronger but he's only 19 years old, don't forget that so he can easily do it with a great work ethic like his. And the Durant comaprison was only if he can get back the same athleticism he had before his injury cause watching him run and jump before he tore his ACL, I don't think calling him a "poor man's Durant" is much of an overstatement.

As far so to him being easy to block at the NBA level, lacking quickness and melting in the paint, I disagree....here's the scouting report on him too.

Well, I double checked my notes on him to see if I had him confused with someone else. I don't. First off, he was never the athlete that Durant was at the same age, even before his injury. Secondly, I didn't say he lacked quickness, I said he lacked lateral quickness and for him that shows up most noticeably when he tries to defend. He has almost Nash-like ability (adjusted for position) with the ball but he's not exceptionally quick. He gets his shot off when he drives to the hoop but he converts at a lower than average rate.

My concern on his shot though has to do with how much quicker NBA players close out on 3 point shooters. He shoots almost from his belly button and he already struggles when college players pressure him. NBA players will do a number on him unless he can improve his form. Counting on a player his age to make such a huge change is risky.

Steve

WildBB

Yogi n da Bear
Reaction score
Assuming just for s&g Nash doesn't resign.

Do you automatically draft a PG @13? Or do you resign Brooks to a pretty high salary for him and go in another direction?

Can Telfair handle any kind of load?

ozzfloyd

The Carp
Reaction score
Sullinger will be a walking injury most of his career IMO. With one leg an inch shorter than the other, his back and knee problems he's had at OSU will just get worse.

Superbone

Phoenix native; Lifelong Suns Fan
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Sullinger will be a walking injury most of his career IMO. With one leg an inch shorter than the other, his back and knee problems he's had at OSU will just get worse.

That script sounds very familiar.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Assuming just for s&g Nash doesn't resign.

Do you automatically draft a PG @13? Or do you resign Brooks to a pretty high salary for him and go in another direction?

Can Telfair handle any kind of load?

Well, since you used "you" instead of "they" as a pronoun I'd say no to drafting a PG and no to a high salary for Brooks. I'd draft the best player available, go cheap on the FA market and trade any player we have that can bring us back a future draft pick. We need radical surgery along with aggressive Chemo/Radiation treatment to reduce the cancer on this franchise. This palliative care approach by ownership is destined to bring about a painful end for Suns fans.

Steve

ASUCHRIS

ONE HEART BEAT!!!
Reaction score
Well, since you used "you" instead of "they" as a pronoun I'd say no to drafting a PG and no to a high salary for Brooks. I'd draft the best player available, go cheap on the FA market and trade any player we have that can bring us back a future draft pick. We need radical surgery along with aggressive Chemo/Radiation treatment to reduce the cancer on this franchise. This palliative care approach by ownership is destined to bring about a painful end for Suns fans.

Steve

Yep, this mess is beyond repair. It's not time to tweak the menu, it's time for an entirely new concept.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Steve

So who is going to do the surgery? Can Babby get it done.

Also PG might be the BPA at #13 although I have not watched many of the players on the draft board. I do agree the Suns should draft the BPA. Rivers intrigues me since I have heard he can play PG and SG. Plus he might fit the BPA scenario.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
So who is going to do the surgery? Can Babby get it done.

Also PG might be the BPA at #13 although I have not watched many of the players on the draft board. I do agree the Suns should draft the BPA. Rivers intrigues me since I have heard he can play PG and SG. Plus he might fit the BPA scenario.

I dislike watching Duke so I've avoided them but he really didn't strike me as a point guard the few times I saw him. I think he's got NBA starter talent so I have no problem with taking him although I'd hate to have any kind of Boston connection. As for surgery, I hope Babby and company wake up and smell the disinterest but we probably need someone like Freddie or Edward Scissorhands to fully excise our tumor.

Steve

slinslin

Welcome to Amareca
Reaction score
Sullinger? I like him somewhat but we do not need another PF prospect with no athleticism and limited upside.

I hope we could do something like trading Gortat to Portland for #6 & #11 and draft at #6, #11 and #13. Use the later picks and/or Morris/Dudley to get Charlotte or Washingtons pick.

eg #1
Marcin Gortat 2yrs/13M$ to Portland
Wesley Matthews 3yrs/20M$
#6, #11 to Phoenix

#2 trade up with Charlotte or Washington

Markieff Morris 3yrs/6M$ to Washington
Hakim Warrick 1yr/4M$ to Washington

Andray Blatche 3yr/20M$ to Phoenix
#3 to Phoenix

I dislike Blatche and would not want him on the team but Washington feels the same and would love to get out of his contract.

based on nbadraft.net we could then end up with

#3 MKG (Drummond/Barnes)
#6 Beal (Lamb/Ross)
#11 Jones III
#13 Marshall (Rivers)

based on Chard Fords ranking without team needs

#3 Beal (T-Robinson, Drummond)
#6 Barnes (Lilliard, Waiters, Jones III, Lamb)
#11 Zeller (Sullinger)
#13 Jones (Ross, Marshall, Rivers)

Last edited:

Joe Mama

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Sullinger? I like him somewhat but we do not need another PF prospect with no athleticism and limited upside.

I hope we could do something like trading Gortat to Portland for #6 & #11 and draft at #6, #11 and #13. Use the later picks and/or Morris/Dudley to get Charlotte or Washingtons pick.

eg #1
#6, #11 to Phoenix

#3 to Phoenix

I dislike Blatche and would not want him on the team but Washington feels the same and would love to get out of his contract.

#3 MKG (Drummond/Barnes)
#6 Beal (Lamb/Ross)
#11 Jones III
#13 Marshall (Rivers)

#11 Zeller (Sullinger)

of course Portland would never make that deal but otherwise your plan is flawless.

AsUdUdE

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score

eg #1
#6, #11 to Phoenix

#3 to Phoenix

#3 MKG (Drummond/Barnes)
#6 Beal (Lamb/Ross)
#11 Jones III
#13 Marshall (Rivers)

#11 Zeller (Sullinger)

This might be the single most unrealistic scenario I have ever read on this board.. Congrats!

In the real world we couldn't package our 3 BEST assets for the #3 pick let alone anything else in this post.. lol, soo funny..

SunsTzu

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
I don't think this draft is top heavy so I wouldn't be as concerned with trying to move up anyway.

tobiazz

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
I don't think this draft is top heavy so I wouldn't be as concerned with trying to move up anyway.

There's always some player like Russell Westbrook that moves up based on workouts. The BPA order will become more apparent in the coming weeks.

SunsTzu

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
There's always some player like Russell Westbrook that moves up based on workouts. The BPA order will become more apparent in the coming weeks.

Or Joe Alexander.

Sure players will improve/hurt their draft stock in the coming weeks but I think the actual scouts have had a pretty good idea on the players they like the best for some time. It's just that now is the time a lot of that information gets filtered out to the media.

My point wasn't that guys currently available later in the draft will actually remain that way, it's that regardless of the draft order this draft's strength is it's depth.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
This might be the single most unrealistic scenario I have ever read on this board.. Congrats!

In the real world we couldn't package our 3 BEST assets for the #3 pick let alone anything else in this post.. lol, soo funny..

I will play the idea your goal is to move to #3. You don't think Gortat, Dudley and #13.... or Gortat and two first round picks can get you there?

I'm not saying that Washington would bite but they would have to consider it. Better yet, the Suns might see what Gortat or Dudley might fetch on the open market.

Another pick or two in the draft is what the Suns need. Maybe even Lopez gets you a later first round pick. I would rather keep Gortat so maybe the Suns should be shopping for just another first round pick. I'm reading a lot about other teams willing to trade their picks such as Toronto and Golden State. Maybe the Suns can even buy another first round pick.