Who will the Suns draft at #13?

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I think you miss my point. I don't believe it's a matter of philosophy on their part, it's a failure to properly evaluate talent. They didn't draft Earl Clark because he was a high scoring wing that fit their system, they drafted him because they thought his potential made him the best player available. They were wrong, Lawson would have been a far superior choice but we weren't the only team scared off by his 5'11 size.

I agree the Suns are definitely poor at evaluating talent. The pool of quality talent in the 2009 draft was at PG when the Suns were drafting. They chose to chase after a big man (Clark) instead.

http://www.nba.com/draft2009/

You mentioned Lopez. Why do you think that was a case of drafting for need? He'd shown some defensive flashes but he was a waste of space on offense. Does that sound like the Suns were drafting him on a "need" basis. They just screwed up. If they had drafted for BPA with an eye on need they could have grabbed someone like Roy Hibbert who would have been a huge upgrade at the same position.

I don't think most posters on this board did not want the Suns to draft Robin Lopez. Big man was a need but they chose the wrong big man. I'm not seeing where Lopez was a better big man that Hibbert, McGee or Ibaka in that draft. Hopefully Lopez still has time to improve. Lopez just wasn't the BPA to the Suns.

http://www.nba.com/draft2008/board.html

I think, for the most part, they draft the same way the other teams do. Over the past several years, even once we stopped giving away our picks, we've failed to find that diamond in the rough because we haven't put enough money and effort into developing our scouting department. We're not alone in this but we're in the bottom half of the league when it comes to knowing how to identify those players that might significantly outplay their draft slot. Regardless, we can't draft the BPA until we do a better job of identifying him.

We're back to the Suns not identifying the best player where they are picking in the draft. In the 2011 draft the Suns selected Markieff Morris when Kawhi Leonard was considered by many to be the best player where the Suns were drafting.

http://www.nba.com/draft/2011/

In summary the Suns had a failed a strategy of going after big men in the 2008, 2009 and the 2011 draft where (IMO) they felt a need. They had no first round pick in 2010. The idea of thinking of Lopez, Clark and Morris were the BPAs available to the Suns is absurd to me in all three drafts.

Last edited:

cly2tw

Reaction score
Look what the Pacers have done with barely one top 10 pick.

Paul George, #10, 2010
Tyler Hansbrough, #13, 2009
Roy Hibbert, #17, 2008
George Hill, #26, 2008, acquired in trade for rights to Kawhi Leonard
Darren Collison, #21, 2009, acquired in trade for Troy Murphy's carcass
Lou Amundson, undrafted, acquired in trade for Brandon Rush
Danny Granger, #17, 2005
David West, #18, 2003, signed via free agency
Leandro Barbosa, #28, 2003 acquired in trade for a 2nd round pick

It's been 7 years since Reggie Miller last played, but Larry Bird has quietly assembled a solid team without tanking. This is absolutely the best case scenario for the Suns. It's sad thinking the Suns could have many of the players listed above.

We drafted Robin Lopez over Roy Hibbert. With one of the picks that went to Seattle for dumping KT, we could have had George Hill. (Batum, Ibaka, and Arthur were also available). We could have kept Amundson and Barbosa, and we could have drafted David West instead of Zarko Cabarkapa.

Lopez, Zarko, Jacobson over Hibbert, West, Boozer/Prince, among others. Do I see a racial line here in how Suns have been drafting?

Phrazbit

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Nice avatar Sunsfan88, I didnt realize they gave out Team USA jerseys at rehab facilities.:D

leclerc

The smooth operator
Reaction score
Wow imagine starting Roy Hibbert and Kawhi Leonard next year. That would have given me reason to be optimistic about the Suns. Those are solid pieces. We'd better get it right this summer!

Covert Rain

Father smelt of elderberries!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The Suns drafted Lopez for talent, not need. If they made a mistake in talent evaluation, that is different from a strategic error. Morris was an even clearer example of a non-need pick; had the Suns picked for need last summer, they would have taken a guard.

Disagree on the Lopez point. The Suns needed a defensive rebounding center and that is what they thought they were getting. I think it was Kerr on draft night that said he is what the Suns need to shore up a position being played by committee.

Talent picks to me are picks in which you are already set at a given position and you draft the best player on the board even if that position is set.

overseascardfan

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
At #13 there is no perfect prospect for PHX.

A lot of posters on this board are against Sullinger but I think he would solve our PF search. His bulk and strength will help him on the low block and with rebounding. He has range on his jump shot and is a good passer for a big man. His weakness is that he is not a great defender and lacks leaping ability but I feel he will be a solid NBA PF. There are a lot of comparisons being thrown around, NBA Draft Net compares him to Carlos Boozer which is accurate. People around here think he is nowhere close to the player Kevin Love was coming out of college but look at their stats side by side and they are eerily similar. Sullinger is a better player than Enes Kanter who was taken #3 last year.

Others who PHX could use:

Terrence Jones
Doron Lamb
Marquis Teague
Quincy Miller
John Jenkins
Drew Gordon
William Buford

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score

A lot of posters on this board are against Sullinger but I think he would solve our PF search. His bulk and strength will help him on the low block and with rebounding. He has range on his jump shot and is a good passer for a big man. His weakness is that he is not a great defender and lacks leaping ability but I feel he will be a solid NBA PF. There are a lot of comparisons being thrown around, NBA Draft Net compares him to Carlos Boozer which is accurate. People around here think he is nowhere close to the player Kevin Love was coming out of college but look at their stats side by side and they are eerily similar. Sullinger is a better player than Enes Kanter who was taken #3 last year.

Others who PHX could use:

Terrence Jones
Doron Lamb
Marquis Teague
Quincy Miller
John Jenkins
Drew Gordon
William Buford

I'm thinking more and more the Suns should draft a PG if there is a player that fits the BPA scenario. Then sign a FA PF like Ilyasova or Humphries. Signing another player that can create his own shot would make a nice offseason.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
so... what relatively low ceiling twins are coming out in the draft and which of them has less upside because I'm pretty sure that's who we're picking.

Phrazbit

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
so... what relatively low ceiling twins are coming out in the draft and which of them has less upside because I'm pretty sure that's who we're picking.

Not quite a twin... but we could have one of the fabulous ZELLER brothers. White, not particularly athletic, high floor, low ceiling players...

Hello Tyler Zeller!

Personally, we need an athletic wing player, and one that hopefully has a high ceiling. I wouldnt mind seeing Terrence Ross. The guy seems kind of bust or boom to me, but giving our outlook in the near future and draft slot I would roll the dice.

Also, I'd like to see us buy a 1st round pick, or trade for one, towards the end of the first and pick up Royce White.

Last edited:

PhxGametime

Formerly Bball_31
Reaction score
Terrence Jones, Perry Jones, Austin Rivers, Terrence Ross, Meyers Leonard, and Moe Harkless. That's my top 6 (Marshall likely won't be there). I'd also consider Tony Wroten Jr. - if the Suns plan on Steve Nash return, he'd have 2-3 years before he had a shot at starting anyways. I haven't decided on top 7 though but Wroten, Damian Lillard (have no game-film), Dion Waiters, Jeff Taylor, Tyler Zeller, John Henson, Marquis Teague, etc. - are in the mix.

Dion Waiters: I'll have-to watch a few more games but he's climbing up boards. I seriously doubt Jared Sullinger drops, BTW.

Phrazbit

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Terrence Jones, Perry Jones, Austin Rivers, Terrence Ross, Meyers Leonard, and Moe Harkless. That's my top 6 (Marshall likely won't be there). I'd also consider Tony Wroten Jr. - if the Suns plan on Steve Nash return, he'd have 2-3 years before he had a shot at starting anyways. I haven't decided on top 7 though but Wroten, Damian Lillard (have no game-film), Dion Waiters, Jeff Taylor, Tyler Zeller, John Henson, Marquis Teague, etc. - are in the mix.

Dion Waiters: I'll have-to watch a few more games but he's climbing up boards. I seriously doubt Jared Sullinger drops, BTW.

I think Sullinger is probably the safest pick in the draft, but I also dont think his ceiling is very high. The guy will contribute. He can hit shots and has a decent post game and rebound a bit. He is already very polished and not the most athletic dude. I dont see a lot of upside there.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Kevin Love was a far superior college player to Sullinger. I don't hate the idea of taking Sullinger if he's there at 13 but he's nothing like Love - he's part Danny Fortson, part Corliss Williamson and part Kurt Thomas IMO. A Boozer comparison isn't far off the mark although I think a healthy Carlos is a better NBA player than Sullinger will be (except for maybe crunch time).

Stats are great but College numbers are almost as irrelevant as High School numbers. If he could just move his feet enough to get an easier shot now and then and to play decent defense on the blocks he'd be a good all around power forward but he'll get eaten alive in the NBA.

Steve

jlove

AZ Born and Bred!!!
Reaction score
Looks as though I may be the only one that thinks #13 is a great spot to pick Royce White. I can see him climbing the draft ladder during workouts prior to the draft. The boy is bad. He would be a perfect 3 in our system. I'd love to pick up another 1st rounder in the range of 15-20 to try and snag a scoring PG or SG to go along with White.

slinslin

Welcome to Amareca
Reaction score
Austin Rivers or Perry Jones, outside consideration Tony Wroten

assuming that Davis, Beal, MKG, Drummond, Robinson, Barnes, Lamb, Marshall are off the board which is 99% likely.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Austin Rivers or Perry Jones, outside consideration Tony Wroten

assuming that Davis, Beal, MKG, Drummond, Robinson, Barnes, Lamb, Marshall are off the board which is 99% likely.

i'm okay with all of the above.

Arizona's Finest

Your My Favorite Mistake
Reaction score
I like Terrence Ross from UW. That guys game has NBA written all over it.

Manu4five

Veteran
Reaction score
You should get someone significantly better than Blair because the Spurs would trade him for any first round pick.

sunsfan88

ASFN Icon
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Quincy Miller can be a poor man's Kevin Durant.

Skill wise, I would say that he has the same as Durant when Durant was his age. Durant is definitely more athletic but Miller is still recovering from the ACL so maybe the Suns staff can fix him back up?

Definitely wouldn't mind him at #13.