Why Carolina will win. Period.

hepcat

Reaction score
Carolina is 5-2 lifetime against Arizona. The last time Arizona beat Carolina was October 6, 2002 @ Carolina, 16-13. Jake Plummer engineered a 10 point rally in the fourth to win it late. Since then, Carolina is 4-0 vs. the Cardinals. 2003: 20-17 win for Carolina in the desert during the Superbowl run year. 2004: 35-10 thumping after Carolina started 1-7. 2005: 24-20 late game comeback by Delhomme to squeak out a win in Carolina. 2006: Last year Carolina and Arizona didn't play. And most Cardinals fans probably remember old man Testaverde burning the Cardinals with one throw to win it. It's been a pretty one sided matchup recently, but the Cardinals have the best squad they've had in decades this year. A potent offense with a hungry oppurtunistic defense. But this thread is about why Carolina will win.

It's all about the running game. Carolina wins when they run the ball. Delhomme needs a running game to be effective. He feeds off play action and having more defenders in the box devoted to stopping the run. That opens up the pass and usually leaves Steve Smith some room to get open and make a play. The Panthers have two prolific running backs in Jonathan Stewart and Deangelo Williams. Watch Stewart during the game. He never goes down on the first hit. And to keep him fresh, D-Will provides a nice change of pace. The only team this year that effectively stopped Carolina's running game was Minnesota. That game should be the game Arizona is watching to figure out how to beat Carolina. The Tampa game is a poor example. Tampa is a division foe that plays Carolina twice a year and knows them really well. Garcia has never lost to the Panthers (on any team). Carolina got down in the first 3 minutes of the game on a blocked punt and had to pass to catch up, which Delhomme is poor at and led to 3 INTs and big loss. I don't count on Arizona being able to do what Tampa did, especially since Arizona isn't as familiar with the Carolina gameplan. But the game on Sunday will come down to how well Arizona can shut down the Panthers ground game. Putting pressure on Delhomme won't be enough to win this game, and neither will a prolific passing game. If any of you watched Carolina shut down New Orleans top ranked passing attack this past Sunday, it might be foreshadowing what is to come for Arizona. If Carolina gets up early, there is no way Arizona wins. Carolina has one of the top ranked pass defenses and a stout run defense. This game will be won by the Cardinals defense. If the Cards can stop the Panthers running attack, force Delhomme to pass, then put pressure on him, Arizona has a shot at pulling the upset. Otherwise, this could be a blowout. But here's to a good, injury free game. GO PANTHERS!!!

OP
OP
H

hepcat

Reaction score
Phew. I was a little worried, because I think the Cards are really vulnerable through the air, but their run defense is really pretty good.

In the three blowout victories the Panthers have had (KC, ATL, and NO), the Panthers DID face weak pass defenses. Although, they were able to run the ball at least with some effectiveness to open up the passing game. Although, I think the Cardinals are better than those three teams by miles. Especially KC...yick.

Pariah

H.S.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Truth be told, I think if this game was in AZ the Cards win. Since it's in NC, it's going to be an uphill battle, fo sho'.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
So you're saying the gameplan is run to setup the pass but that because the Cards aren't in their division they won't know this?

can't Whisenhunt simply read your post and figure this out? Doesn't that mean you're potentially harming your favorite team by posting the secret gameplan on enemy boards?

MadCardDisease

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Carolina has one of the top ranked pass defenses and a stout run defense. This game will be won by the Cardinals defense. If the Cards can stop the Panthers running attack, force Delhomme to pass, then put pressure on him, Arizona has a shot at pulling the upset. Otherwise, this could be a blowout. But here's to a good, injury free game. GO PANTHERS!!!

That is where my big concern is. The Cards have had problems stopping the run especially when they are on the road.

The only thing that might have been a factor in that is that NT Gabe Watson missed all of those road games. He is a force in the middle. If Gabe can occupy 2 linemen the entire game it would free up our LBs to make plays and slow down the running game.

Still I don't like the fact that it's in Carolina. Very hard place for visiting teams to win. It should get very loud and that will affect the right side of our OL that is very young and shaky at best.

MadCardDisease

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Phew. I was a little worried, because I think the Cards are really vulnerable through the air, but their run defense is really pretty good.

It hasn't been that great on the road.

Frank Gore averaged 7 yards per carry almost

Last edited:
OP
OP
H

hepcat

Reaction score
So you're saying the gameplan is run to setup the pass but that because the Cards aren't in their division they won't know this?

can't Whisenhunt simply read your post and figure this out? Doesn't that mean you're potentially harming your favorite team by posting the secret gameplan on enemy boards?

Knowing the gameplan and having actually coached against it on the field are two different things...Gruden and Fox both entered the NFC South in 2002 and have played going on 7 seasons of matchups against each other. What I'm saying is no secret...Carolina wants to run the ball and stop the run. But being familiar with the other team sure does help, and Gruden probably knows what the Panthers do on the field better than any other coach in the leauge. That and Jeff Garcia has never lost a game to the Panthers.

NeverSayDieFan

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
AGREED, Hepcat...

...And that's not a shot at how well the Cards are playing. There is ALOT to over-come here. Carolina is playing very well; the long-flight to the East coast (that negative has been driven into our heads since the season started); The Panthers are very good against the pass; They, like us, NEED the game... BUT....

The PAST is the PAST!! I'm measuring this team since Mike B./ Whiz'/ & Grimm took over. We are clearly NOT the same team and we are getting BETTER as we continue to grow together. Do we have a shot Sunday?? ABSOLUTELY!! We have momentum, we're hungry, and NO ONE has turned the lights out on us yet offensively. Can Carolina STOP US?? That's the key to me. GO CARDS!!

Shane

Comin for you!
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Posts like this pretty much ensure a Cards victory!

:thumbup:

TJ

Frank Kaminsky is my Hero.
Reaction score
hepcat,

You are making some serious assertions about this game. Just make sure you are here on this message board right after the game, win or lose.

OP
OP
H

hepcat

Reaction score
...And that's not a shot at how well the Cards are playing. There is ALOT to over-come here. Carolina is playing very well; the long-flight to the East coast (that negative has been driven into our heads since the season started); The Panthers are very good against the pass; They, like us, NEED the game... BUT....

The PAST is the PAST!! I'm measuring this team since Mike B./ Whiz'/ & Grimm took over. We are clearly NOT the same team and we are getting BETTER as we continue to grow together. Do we have a shot Sunday?? ABSOLUTELY!! We have momentum, we're hungry, and NO ONE has turned the lights out on us yet offensively. Can Carolina STOP US?? That's the key to me. GO CARDS!!

I don't think that's even a question. Carolina has shown they have one of the top defenses in the NFL. Only in the loss to Tampa did Carolina's D give up a 100 yard rusher. And that was against Warrick Dunn, who is notorious for burning the Panthers, especially when he was with the Falcons. The only team that has the Panthers by the balls right now is Tampa. I'm not happy as a Panthers fan with that team right now...they are damn good. But back to the Panthers. They stopped damn near every top flight RB so far this year. LT, Matt Forte, Michael Turner, Adrian Peterson, Larry Johnson, Reggie Bush, etc. Edgerin James and Tim Hightower aren't going to be factors in the game on Sunday. Can the Panthers stop the pass? Well if the Cards are anything like the top ranked passing offense of the New Orleans Saints, I'd say the answer is yes. Brings me back to say that the only way Arizona wins this game is with defense and stopping the Carolina running game.

Pariah

H.S.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It hasn't been that great on the road.

Frank Gore averaged 7 yards per carry almost
Gore was held to under 100, even with 1 really long one. Granted, they all count, but that long one skews the stats a little. (EDIT: I looked it up: Gore had 96 yards, 41 of which came on one run).

Other than that they held Portis to around 60 and T Jones to under 50.

So, I think they've still been pretty stout against the run on the road.

Last edited:

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Knowing the gameplan and having actually coached against it on the field are two different things...Gruden and Fox both entered the NFC South in 2002 and have played going on 7 seasons of matchups against each other. What I'm saying is no secret...Carolina wants to run the ball and stop the run. But being familiar with the other team sure does help, and Gruden probably knows what the Panthers do on the field better than any other coach in the leauge. That and Jeff Garcia has never lost a game to the Panthers.

I was just pointing out that what the Panthers do is no mystery, the key is they execute it well. That's why when injuries lead to a bad year, they bounce back the next year, they've bought into the system Fox uses and it works. The Cards are doing the same thing with Whiz, the players have bought in and it's working.

you're essentially throwing out Tampa Bay because of 3 turnovers and Gruden's familiarity with Carolina. We can essentially throw out the Jets because we had SEVEN turnovers in that game and were still somewhat in the game in the 2nd half for awhile. Everyone knows how to beat us too, pressure Warner and he'll turn it over, the problem is it's not always that easy to do without exposing your defense to big plays.

In the NFL there are no secrets, the Cards have had 2 weeks to prepare they're not going to be surprised because the Panthers aren't in the division.

It'll be a tough game largely because it's a road game and we've struggled on the road. If this game was in Arizona I'd almost guarantee you the Cards would win, they simply play better(9-2 under Whisenhunt) at home.

I think the Cards know exactly what they're going to face it is just a matter of execution. If we don't shoot ourselves in the foot we'll be in the game, but you just never know with this team, and in particular Warner.

Pariah

H.S.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Can the Panthers stop the pass? Well if the Cards are anything like the top ranked passing offense of the New Orleans Saints, I'd say the answer is yes.
Thing is, they're really NOT anything like the Saints. The Cards use the pass like a run game--shorter, higher-percentage routes--to control the clock. And, Fitz and Boldin are perfectly suited for that kind of offense--they're bigger and stronger than any other pair of WRs in the NFL.

That's not to say Carolina can't stop them. Maybe they can, but I don't think you can hold up the Saints game as a reason why.

MadCardDisease

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Edgerin James and Tim Hightower aren't going to be factors in the game on Sunday. Can the Panthers stop the pass?

I agree with that.

Question is can the Cards move the ball without a run game. It is possible. They did just that against the Bills. Warner didn't hold onto the ball more than 3 seconds and spread the ball to 9 different receivers. If they can do that again it will make this a pretty close game. I just have serious concerns about the right side of our OL. Especially if the Cards get into 3rd and long situations.

OP
OP
H

hepcat

Reaction score
hepcat,

You are making some serious assertions about this game. Just make sure you are here on this message board right after the game, win or lose.

I'll be here either to congratulate you guys on the upset or to console you on the loss. I'm not here to talk smack...I just honestly think the Panthers are the better team and are playing at home. That said it's not a guaranteed win, just won that if the Panthers are a true playoff contender and team to beat in the NFC, they need to be able to handle a team like the Cardinals, especially at home. This is a game the Panthers SHOULD win, not need to win. It's still too early for must-win games. Ya'll are lucky out in the NFC West...your division is garbage and you'll probably win it with an 8-8 record. Not so lucky in the NFC South. 11-5 might be looking at a wildcard berth if that.

TJ

Reaction score
I don't think that's even a question. Carolina has shown they have one of the top defenses in the NFL. Only in the loss to Tampa did Carolina's D give up a 100 yard rusher. And that was against Warrick Dunn, who is notorious for burning the Panthers, especially when he was with the Falcons. The only team that has the Panthers by the balls right now is Tampa. I'm not happy as a Panthers fan with that team right now...they are damn good. But back to the Panthers. They stopped damn near every top flight RB so far this year. LT, Matt Forte, Michael Turner, Adrian Peterson, Larry Johnson, Reggie Bush, etc. Edgerin James and Tim Hightower aren't going to be factors in the game on Sunday. Can the Panthers stop the pass? Well if the Cards are anything like the top ranked passing offense of the New Orleans Saints, I'd say the answer is yes. Brings me back to say that the only way Arizona wins this game is with defense and stopping the Carolina running game.

If thats your theory, then you had better do some stat finding. We are pretty damn good against the run.

MadCardDisease

Supporting Member
Reaction score
If thats your theory, then you had better do some stat finding. We are pretty damn good against the run.

I'm not so sure about that. The Cards answer to Frank Gore was to try and keep him off the field.

Miami and the Bills never had a chance to run the ball because they were playing from so far behind.

Good running teams give the Cardinals defense problems. Especially when they play on the road.

TJ

Reaction score
I'm not so sure about that. The Cards answer to Frank Gore was to try and keep him off the field.

Miami and the Bills never had a chance to run the ball because they were playing from so far behind.

Good running teams give the Cardinals defense problems. Especially when they play on the road.

The 49ers are a good running team and we beat them. The Dolphins are a good running team and we beat them. The Bills are a good running team and we beat them. The Cowboys are a good running team and we beat them.

See a pattern? Our deficiencies are against the pass. If our front 7 doesn't get pressure on the QB, we are screwed

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Thing is, they're really NOT anything like the Saints. The Cards use the pass like a run game--shorter, higher-percentage routes--to control the clock. And, Fitz and Boldin are perfectly suited for that kind of offense--they're bigger and stronger than any other pair of WRs in the NFL.

That's not to say Carolina can't stop them. Maybe they can, but I don't think you can hold up the Saints game as a reason why.

I didn't see the Saints game but I almost wonder if getting back Shockey and Colston hurt them because neither guy was sharp and messed up the timing they had going with Brees?

Caroling is good, look at their schedule it's not like they've played a ton of cupcakes or something, but honestly look at our schedule the only weak team we've really played is SF, we all thought Miami was weak but they've played pretty well since losing to us.

It's all about breaking the pattern of not playing well on the road, if we do that we're in the game.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'll be here either to congratulate you guys on the upset or to console you on the loss. I'm not here to talk smack...I just honestly think the Panthers are the better team and are playing at home. That said it's not a guaranteed win, just won that if the Panthers are a true playoff contender and team to beat in the NFC, they need to be able to handle a team like the Cardinals, especially at home. This is a game the Panthers SHOULD win, not need to win. It's still too early for must-win games. Ya'll are lucky out in the NFC West...your division is garbage and you'll probably win it with an 8-8 record. Not so lucky in the NFC South. 11-5 might be looking at a wildcard berth if that.

Agreed the NFC West does stink right now. Of course our 4-2 record includes exactly one game against the NFC West.

MadCardDisease

Supporting Member
Reaction score
The 49ers are a good running team and we beat them. The Dolphins are a good running team and we beat them. The Bills are a good running team and we beat them. The Cowboys are a good running team and we beat them.

See a pattern? Our deficiencies are against the pass. If our front 7 doesn't get pressure on the QB, we are screwed

The 49ers suck but we could not stop Frank Gore.

The Dolphins and Bills never had a chance to run the ball because they were behind by multiple TDs at half time. The Cowboys are not that good at running the ball.

Carolina is the best team we will have seen this year. Carolina has a very good running game. They are playing at home so they don't have to deal with crowd noise. I expect they will find success against the Cards.

The only wildcard being Gabe Watson. Can big Gabe come in and have an impact? If he can play for at least 2/3 of the snaps and control the LOS then we may have a chance to stop the Carolina rushing attack. However we need to make text book tackles against these young talented RBs.