why dont we send leinert to nfl europe this year?

moklerman

Rise from the Ashes III
Reaction score
I would be all for this idea if it were possible and Leinart would do well to emulate Warner in this regard. Of course, having Leinart play for the Amsterdam Admirals would probably have a different effect since the players had to go past the red light district to get to practice every day.

I don't think we'd ever hear from Leinart again.

Shane

Comin for you!
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Oh you stop with all the truth and logic crap, please.

Dont know how much truth there is to it. Other than the fact that he has performed well in a few games. Josh McCown had performed well in a few games too IIRC. SO not really a good measuring stick to whats in store for the guy.

It is way to early to call Matt (I throw 3 Int's in the first half of a pre-season game against the stinking Raiders when my job is on the line) Leinart a decent QB.

I was all for letting Warner walk and getting on with the Leinart era on this team. But that contract to Warner pretty much assures IMO that Matt has no chance to EVER be the long term starter here. Its a shame IMO. Now we will never truly know.

Last edited:

moklerman

Rise from the Ashes III
Reaction score
He's not a garbage heap player that needs to be shipped off the the semi-pros
I don't think anyone said that. Playing time is what it's all about and just as he will benefit from playing in preseason at his stage of his career, playing NFL-lite for a few games wouldn't be a bad thing.

More importantly, it might be good for the Cardinals too. If he could stay healthy and produce in that situation it would help them with their decisions down the road. If he couldn't, it could still help in their decision making.

Was the NFL prophetic in shutting the league down before the current economic crash? There were a few big name players that came out of NFL Europe but I wonder how many injuries and how much of an overall benefit it was having toward it's end? I know Quinn Gray looked like an absolute stud over there and he can't keep a 3rd string job in the NFL. It seems like the shine had worn off.

D-Dogg

A Whole New World
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It is way to early to call Matt (I throw 3 Int's in the first half of a pre-season game against the stinking Raiders when my job is on the line) Leinart a decent QB.

Dude, that game really means nothing at all. His performances against the Bears and Chiefs are more indicative of his leadership ability.

And dude, you have eyes. You can't be serious putting Matt and Josh in the same sentence. Come on Shane...you aren't blind. We all watched both Josh and Matt play. If you think they are remotely close in talent and potential, well, we just can't be friends anymore. :D

jefftheshark

Drive By Poster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The Bidwills should rent Leinart out for a year to some AFC team like the Raiders, like they do in the MLS.

My apologies to the Board if Bill wasn't aware of this little known rule and now rents out half the team.

JTS

Metcalf Rules

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
We could still send him to Europe to make him happy. There are some hot chicks over there and he could take his beer bong and try some different beers.

Seriously, though I think he'll get a chance with the Cards. Warner was healthy all last year. I hope he is again, but if something happens, Leinart can step in.

moklerman

Rise from the Ashes III
Reaction score
Dude, that game really means nothing at all. His performances against the Bears and Chiefs are more indicative of his leadership ability.
How is 3 years ago more relevant than now?

It can easily be said that those first couple of starts were an anomaly. I remember Trung Canidate putting up 200+ yards in one of his first starts. Sometimes young guys look really good until defenses actually start paying attention. Leinart isn't necessarily in that category but the fact that he's been injured twice and melted down when it mattered most to his career much more recently than he had a good first half vs. Chicago and a good game vs. KC.

Pariah

H.S.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If that were the case, then Warner might have retired when getting cut from the Rams, right? When he was cut (at the time, his "now") he was not playing well at all.

It's relevant because it's indicative of what he's capable of...especially since "now" doesn't tell us anything since he's backing up Warner.

Syracusecards

DA's pass went that way
Reaction score
I'd like to try him in the XFL first. I think ML and He Hate Me could do some serious damage together.

earthsci

That Rapscallion!!
LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score

It can easily be said that those first couple of starts were an anomaly. I remember Trung Canidate putting up 200+ yards in one of his first starts. Sometimes young guys look really good until defenses actually start paying attention. Leinart isn't necessarily in that category but the fact that he's been injured twice and melted down when it mattered most to his career much more recently than he had a good first half vs. Chicago and a good game vs. KC.
Posts like this expose your bias and make you look like a fool.

That last sentence describes Warner from 2002 until a year ago.

dogpoo32

meh
Reaction score
If that were the case, then Warner might have retired when getting cut from the Rams, right? When he was cut (at the time, his "now") he was not playing well at all.

It's relevant because it's indicative of what he's capable of...especially since "now" doesn't tell us anything since he's backing up Warner.

Pwned.

Mulli

Supporting Member
Reaction score

presidential.

moklerman

Rise from the Ashes III
Reaction score
It's relevant because it's indicative of what he's capable of
But that isn't necessarily true. Even if we were going off of what he did in 2006, there was even more negative data compared to his first two starts.
That last sentence describes Warner from 2002 until a year ago.
And if he hadn't started wearing the gloves his path would have continued the downward spiral it had taken. And Warner had something to get back to if he could overcome the fumbling and approach to the game.

I don't see how it's a foolish idea either. Just think about what you thought of Warner in 2006. Did you think he was going to return to form? I didn't(okay, technically, I thought there was a chance after seeing him play with the gloves in week 17 vs. SD). In most cases, QB's have a hard time just turning their careers around like that. That's part of why Brees' story is so compelling.

Sometimes the light goes on and guys find their rhythm and I think Leinart still has a chance to do so. But my doubts continue to grow with each passing year and I was literally shocked at how poorly he performed in the QB competition this year. Many like to chalk up the Raiders preseason game as just a bad day but it concerns me much more considering the situation. I completely agree that every QB has those days where nothing goes right but Leinart didn't show well for more than just that preseason game. They had to bring him back in the 2nd half of another game because he looked so ineffective.

Ultimately, I actually think he's got a shot to make it but I'm not basing it on his first two starts as a pro. The offense was scaled back and that was two shoulder injuries ago.

moklerman

Rise from the Ashes III
Reaction score
presidential.
Let's not be obtuse. Warner's struggles since 2002 have been because he couldn't grip the ball. Sure he struggled '02-'06 but that wasn't because he couldn't read a defense or be accurate with the ball. Once his fumbling wasn't an issue...

Leinart doesn't have any physical limitations holding him back as far as I know.

Redbird 78

Reaction score
Let's not be obtuse. Warner's struggles since 2002 have been because he couldn't grip the ball. Sure he struggled '02-'06 but that wasn't because he couldn't read a defense or be accurate with the ball. Once his fumbling wasn't an issue...

Leinart doesn't have any physical limitations holding him back as far as I know.

People who don't agree with you are obtuse?

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Dear Moderators,

Please delete this thread. It is unspeakably stupid, and reflects poorly on Cardinals fans in general. NFL Europe?!? WTF?!?

Please pay attention people!!

Thanks very much,

Dylan

We'll have to remember that if you ever get something wrong.

D-Dogg

A Whole New World
Supporting Member
Reaction score

According to the coaching staff, Warner barely beat him out THIS preseason. He had ONE bad game (really bad) in the preseason. Kurt had a bad game against the Patriots.

And those weren't the only games that Matt played in...those were two losses that he drove the team down for winning scores in that the kicker blew. That would be a change in his record to 9-7 as a starter, by the way. And if that were the case, I bet fewer people would toss him under the bus.

All this "matt sucks" crap is ridiculous. He's looked promising, and will probably be a good player for someone. Hopefully us.

mjb21aztd

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
lmao send Leinart to a womens flag football league sure he would be happy :)

moklerman

Rise from the Ashes III
Reaction score
According to the coaching staff, Warner barely beat him out THIS preseason. (I think that is much more for Leinart's benefit than anything else.) He had ONE bad game (really bad) in the preseason.(that was not the only time he looked shaky in preseason.) Kurt had a bad game against the Patriots.

And those weren't the only games that Matt played in...those were two losses that he drove the team down for winning scores in that the kicker blew. That would be a change in his record to 9-7 as a starter, by the way. And if that were the case, I bet fewer people would toss him under the bus.(I'm not tossing him under the bus at all. I'm just not basing my opinion of his potential ability on those early starts.)

All this "matt sucks" crap is ridiculous.(how many are saying "he sucks"? I'm not.) He's looked promising, and will probably be a good player for someone. Hopefully us.
Matt may indeed turn into a good pro but there is certainly cause for skepticism. Even this year in spot duty he has been shaky. Now, there are certainly a myriad of circumstances that leave room for hope but at this point he is still a huge question mark.

D-Dogg

A Whole New World
Supporting Member
Reaction score

You don't think having three different HCs and OCs and offensive systems in 3 years for a fresh NFL QB is an ideal situation?

Warner beat him out fair and square this preseason, but that isn't anything to be ashamed of, either.

D-Dogg

A Whole New World
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Matt may indeed turn into a good pro but there is certainly cause for skepticism. Even this year in spot duty he has been shaky. Now, there are certainly a myriad of circumstances that leave room for hope but at this point he is still a huge question mark.

No, he hasn't been shaky in spot duty. He's actually looked good in spot duty...his passes looked more crisp and on target, and his pass to Larry in the snow game was the ONLY good thing that happened in that game.

In very limited duty this season, he's looked just fine.

moklerman

Rise from the Ashes III
Reaction score
Nah, that couldn't have anything to do with it.
You must be registered for see images
Now, there are certainly a myriad of circumstances that leave room for hope but at this point he is still a huge question mark
I think it has something to do with it. Of course, I really doubt many of you were thinking the same things about Warner in the same way from '02-'06. Like Warner, I think it's "part" of Leinart's struggles, not all.

Pariah

H.S.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I think it has something to do with it. Of course, I really doubt many of you were thinking the same things about Warner in the same way from '02-'06. Like Warner, I think it's "part" of Leinart's struggles, not all.
Citing Warner's struggles and re-emergence only strengthen the argument that Leinart has gobs of potential, IMO.

And, for the record, you're right. I thought Warner was done...mostly because he DID have physical problems and I didn't think they were going to be correctable at the late stage of his career.

I don't agree with you that Leinart has looked bad. I think he's looked young and very promising.