You Would Take Carson Palmer Over......

You would take Carson Palmer over......(multiple choice)

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

jf-08

chohan
Administrator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Did anybody else factor in money? It's a big deal with the way I think about the game. If it's just taking QB's on talent alone, you'd have a different list. But factor in what their making, Carson beats a lot of QB's by a mile.

Very good point.

NJCardFan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Me. And for the same reason I picked Palmer over Wilson and Kaepernick.

I firmly believe that DCs will learn how to minimize the impact the pistol and read option offenses have in the professional ranks, forcing these QBs to become pure passers and incapable of using read options to fool defenders.

In addition, we learned last season the importance of a QB to stay healthy and on the field. When Kolb exited in Week 6, our QBs collectively threw 3 TDs for the rest of the season. RGIII has already sustained a concussion and is rehabilitating from a shredded knee. Those are two red flags for any QB whose biggest asset is being mobile.

I believe a QB that can remain calm in the pocket and get his passes out quickly and accurately is far more deadly than one who has to rely on mobility. This is a passing league, and a QB who can throw a ball into tight coverage is an invaluable asset.
So what you're saying is RGIII shredded knee bad but Carson Palmer shredded knee good?

Dback Jon

Killer Snail
Supporting Member
Reaction score
So what you're saying is RGIII shredded knee bad but Carson Palmer shredded knee good?

We know how Palmer played after returning from that.

We don't know if RGIII will ever be the same. Especially since his game is based on his mobility.

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
I had him ranked above 11 starters. The tough decisions for me were Matt Schaub, Jay Cutler, and Andy Dalton.

CardsFan88

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Everyone on the list except
Matt Ryan
RGIII
Stafford
Schaub
Big Ben
Flacco
Dalton

That's right now.

If you mean, including the future, then obviously with a potential decade to go you add in there;

Luck
Wilson
Kaepernick
Cam Newton

Guys who are close but didn't get it
Eli: tough call but Giants I think are heading downward and they may lose Victor Cruz. Definitely tough call.

Alex Smith: I've always thought he was better then most people think, but I feel the same way about Palmer, and Palmer has better tools and fits extremely well with Arians system. Plus just like Palmer, he's learning a new system as well.

Tony Romo: No, it's not actually close imo, but most people feel he is. Romo is literally a guy who I call out 'he's due' for a turnover and within 1-5 plays he does in typical Romo fashion. I think I've done this literally 20 times the past couple years. People say Palmer makes similar mistakes, but it's really nowhere near the same frequency. If you look up 'bonehead throw' in a dictionary you see Romo's face.

Sam Bradford: Not high on him. He seems nothing more than average with dog excrement around him. Does have a QB mentality and plays through pain. Lost Amendola. Lost Jackson. If you look at parts of 2011 and 2012 there was a 15 games stretch where he threw ~3 less TD passes than John Skelton did (in LESS games!). (or was it 2010 and 2011...one of the two lol)

Phillip Rivers: I like him, but SD is not in great shape and they just hired Whiz to be their OC. He needs to learn a new offense and it seems for offenses Whiz's seems to be one of the toughest to digest. We'll find out if the offense 'works'.

Jay Cutler: He also might see an upswing with Trestman taking over. It seems like Trestman is finally ready to be an NFL head coach. The Bears with an offense would be pretty shocking. Still like Carson better and both need to learn new offenses.

Even with the 'guys better' many of the young guys need to prove it long term, and odds are at least one of them won't.

Last edited:

desertdawg

ASFN Icon
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
I checked off on 12 boxes, there are 12 dudes on that list beneath Mr.Palmer IMO, and it was pretty cut and dry for the most part.

PACardsFan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I only have 5-6 QB's that are better RIGHT NOW. When you factor in age, then he certainly drops some. Sorry, but I still think Flacco is somewhat overrated. He's played for an A+ franchise, with a great HC, great running game, and a great D. Put Palmer on that roster & the Ravens may have won 3 SB's. Carson Palmer has played for pathetic franchises & pathetic HC's. Some of you will be very pleasantly surprised to see what Arians will do with this guy.

Dr. Jones

Has No Time For Love
Reaction score
Says the guys who thinks Kolb and Tannehill are better QB's.

Tannehill yes. For age, upside, and what I saw when he came to AZ last year.

Kolb..... Hell no. lol

I picked these 7 as worse than Palmer: Weeden, Locker, Sanchez, Ponder, Vick, Flynn, & Gabbert.

Didn't see Kolb as a choice so I must have messed that one up.

bankybruce

All In!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Tannehill yes. For age, upside, and what I saw when he came to AZ last year.

Kolb..... Hell no. lol

I picked these 7 as worse than Palmer: Weeden, Locker, Sanchez, Ponder, Vick, Flynn, & Gabbert.

Didn't see Kolb as a choice so I must have messed that one up.

Fair Enough.

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
2 Weeden and Dalton. That's it.

Duckjake

LEGACY MEMBER
LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
We know how Palmer played after returning from that.

We don't know if RGIII will ever be the same. Especially since his game is based on his mobility.

I don't know that RGIII's game is based on his mobility as much as some think. The kid can throw the football. 65% completion rate. 20TDs to 5interceptions. As a rookie. On the other hand he is running too much. 120 carries is a lot for an NFL QB. Our QBs had 25 rushing attempts last season. Of course they ran for their lives 250 times.

Phrazbit

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I am fine with Carson as a starter next year, but I gotta think he only has 2 quality seasons left in him... if we're lucky. So factoring in age I left some iffy younger guys ahead of him.

That left me with Weeden, Vick, Gabbert, Bradford, Kolb and Sanchez behind him.

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
So you think that we would have been better off with Kolb?

Kolb was the only other one I gave a 2nd thought about.

I'm not excited about Palmer at all. I don't see a Warner type revival.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Four. Weeden, Locker, Ponder and Kolb. There's another 7 or 8 that aren't too far ahead of him though and I'm hoping that will change with Fitz being available to him.

Steve

Zeno

Ancient
Reaction score
I can't understand how anyone could have Gabbert or Kolb ranked higher than Palmer.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I can't understand how anyone could have Gabbert or Kolb ranked higher than Palmer.

Maybe it's because he's 12 - 28 as a starter over his past 3 seasons and under .450 for his career? I don't know what we're going to get from him but he's given the doubters plenty of ammunition since his return from injury. I'm hoping that the fact that we aren't Cincy or Oakland and that he'll be throwing to a fairly sane receiving corps will let him return to the Carson of old but until then, I think it's reasonable to rank most of those guys above him.

Steve

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Maybe it's because he's 12 - 28 as a starter over his past 3 seasons and under .450 for his career? I don't know what we're going to get from him but he's given the doubters plenty of ammunition since his return from injury. I'm hoping that the fact that we aren't Cincy or Oakland and that he'll be throwing to a fairly sane receiving corps will let him return to the Carson of old but until then, I think it's reasonable to rank most of those guys above him.

Steve

:yeahthat:

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
I'm really surprised over the skepticism surrounding Palmer in this thread. It doesn't show up really in the poll, so I'm guessing it's a vocal minority, but still.

The entire thrust of my offseason plan was how important it is to this team to just get an average starter under center. That's what we have, and there's some chance that Palmer could even be an above average starter.

I don't really hang the Oakland record on Palmer. He played well for them on very little prep after the trade in 2011, and was playing in a terrible system for his talents last year. Oakland also more or less completely lacked anything like a defense last year. 29th in defensive DVOA against one of the three easiest schedules in the NFL.

Wow. I didn't know that Oakland's D was that awful last year.

Duckjake

LEGACY MEMBER
LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score

I don't either. Gabbert is 5-19 for his career and Palmer threw for almost as many yards and TDs last season as Kolb has in his last 3 seasons combined and Kolb has an even worse W-L % as a starter for his career.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm really surprised over the skepticism surrounding Palmer in this thread. It doesn't show up really in the poll, so I'm guessing it's a vocal minority, but still.

The entire thrust of my offseason plan was how important it is to this team to just get an average starter under center. That's what we have, and there's some chance that Palmer could even be an above average starter.

I don't really hang the Oakland record on Palmer. He played well for them on very little prep after the trade in 2011, and was playing in a terrible system for his talents last year. Oakland also more or less completely lacked anything like a defense last year. 29th in defensive DVOA against one of the three easiest schedules in the NFL.

Wow. I didn't know that Oakland's D was that awful last year.

If your statement was made by someone that wasn't a Cards fan, I'd have responded with this: If you were a Cards fan you'd understand those of us that are skeptical anytime we talk about QB's and especially when we're talking about someone else's castoff. But, since you are a Cards fan I don't know what to tell you. Our post-Plummer list of starting QB's includes Kevin Kolb, John Skelton, Ryan Lindley, Max Hall, Derek Anderson, Kurt Warner, Matt Leinart, Shaun King, Jeff Blake and Josh McKown. We can hope for Warner but history suggests otherwise. Add in the fact that Carson has struggled since his return from injury and skepticism seems reasonable.

Steve

Zeno

Ancient
Reaction score

Steve

Grabbers is 5-19 and has completed 53% of his passes in his career...you'd still take him over Palmer?

Kolb can't stay healthy and really isn't very good when he is.

Call me crazy but I just don't see how any objective fan can look at either of those 2 bozos and say they'd rather have them lead their team.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Grabbers is 5-19 and has completed 53% of his passes in his career...you'd still take him over Palmer?

Kolb can't stay healthy and really isn't very good when he is.

Call me crazy but I just don't see how any objective fan can look at either of those 2 bozos and say they'd rather have them lead their team.

Keep in mind that wasn't exactly the question, it's who would you take Palmer over. I'd take Carson over Kolb, no question. I left Gabbert off my list because I just don't know enough about him yet. He was beat up pretty bad his rookie year and got injured the next. I just don't know what he is if he's given decent protection and surrounded by some talent. I only put Carson above 4 of those guys but if the question were asked the other way, there's at least 7 or 8 other guys that I wouldn't have put above Palmer.

Steve

ndhillst

Rookie
Reaction score
I'd easily take Palmer over Vick, Flynn, Kolb, Gabbert, Sanchez, and Weeded for a variety of reasons. There were some I felt were a bit of a push - about equal in talent, and some of the younger QB's that I gave some benefit of the doubt since they've shown promise and are younger so have more years left ahead of them to lead their teams.