You Would Take Carson Palmer Over......

You would take Carson Palmer over......(multiple choice)

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

CardsFan88

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Palmer also had little to nothing to work with on offense. Denarius was their only real wideout and I'd rather have Roberts easily. McFadden is a talent, but he's been injured and they don't even know how to use him (or at least didn't last year). I mean seriously Carson's #1 receiver was a TE, because everyone else sucked that bad.

If Carson isn't on that team they are 0-16, 1-15 bad. Now he isn't. Plus that TE Brandon Myers is gone to the Giants. Flynn is starting until Bridgewater takes over for him imo.

The funny thing with all the responses, which seems like over 50 percent think 13 players are worse than Palmer is that there is a QB we think is worse than Kolb, Mark Sanchez lol.

MoeIsBetter

SPA Co-Commishioner
Reaction score
Or Ryan or Manning or Flacco or Big Ben or RGIII or Dalton or Schaub.
When talking about which QB you'd rather have, IMO you have to factor in their contracts. Would I love a Peyton Manning at the money he's making? Sure. Would I love a Joe Flacco at the money he's making? Absolutely not. He's the highest paid QB in the NFL. Is he worth the guys we'd have to cut? I don't think so. So yeah, Carson Palmer at $2M this year is a hell of a lot better to me than Flacco at $20M.

EDIT: I know some people haven't factored in money to this question, but I have to because money is exactly what runs the NFL. When making a decision like this, if I want it to be as realistic as possible, money becomes the #1 factor I look at. I know some will disagree with that logic, but that's why I made some of the choices I made in my picks.

HoodieBets

Formerly azcardsfan1616
Reaction score
When talking about which QB you'd rather have, IMO you have to factor in their contracts. Would I love a Peyton Manning at the money he's making? Sure. Would I love a Joe Flacco at the money he's making? Absolutely not. He's the highest paid QB in the NFL. Is he worth the guys we'd have to cut? I don't think so. So yeah, Carson Palmer at $2M this year is a hell of a lot better to me than Flacco at $20M.

EDIT: I know some people haven't factored in money to this question, but I have to because money is exactly what runs the NFL. When making a decision like this, if I want it to be as realistic as possible, money becomes the #1 factor I look at. I know some will disagree with that logic, but that's why I made some of the choices I made in my picks.

I am glad you will never be the cards GM. You pay whatever it takes to have a QB that can lead you to a SB. QB is the most important position in the NFL and to say you are willing to go to war with Carson friggen Palmer over Joe Flacco and Eli Manning because he is a cheaper option you are out yo mind. Hard to believe people are debating this.

HoodieBets

Formerly azcardsfan1616
Reaction score
Ill add something else I would go as far as dumping Larry Fitzgerald if it meant getting Rodgers or Brees. We have seen Larry is just average without a good QB so maybe a great QB can turn average WR into great ones like Brady, Rodgers, and Brees has done.

MoeIsBetter

SPA Co-Commishioner
Reaction score
I am glad you will never be the cards GM. You pay whatever it takes to have a QB that can lead you to a SB. QB is the most important position in the NFL and to say you are willing to go to war with Carson friggen Palmer over Joe Flacco and Eli Manning because he is a cheaper option you are out yo mind. Hard to believe people are debating this.

I never said I wouldn't pay Manning (re-read my post) and I'm sorry, we just don't agree regarding Flacco. He had almost the same number during the regular season that Carson did. Was he absolutely amazing during their playoff run? Yeah. But stop acting like he did that all year long and deserved to be the highest paid QB in the NFL. And if you believe he deserves it, don't come crashing down on me because I believe otherwise.

EDIT: In fact, the only thing that Flacco did better was throw 4 less INT's, and we could go through the footage I posted on Carson and find at least 4 INT's that weren't even his fault. Regardless, Palmer either beat him or tied him in almost every other category.

Last edited:

MoeIsBetter

SPA Co-Commishioner
Reaction score
Ill add something else I would go as far as dumping Larry Fitzgerald if it meant getting Rodgers or Brees. We have seen Larry is just average without a good QB so maybe a great QB can turn average WR into great ones like Brady, Rodgers, and Brees has done.

I wouldn't disagree with you there. I have Brady, Rodgers, and Brees all ranked higher than Flacco.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Palmer also had little to nothing to work with on offense. Denarius was their only real wideout and I'd rather have Roberts easily. McFadden is a talent, but he's been injured and they don't even know how to use him (or at least didn't last year). I mean seriously Carson's #1 receiver was a TE, because everyone else sucked that bad.

If Carson isn't on that team they are 0-16, 1-15 bad. Now he isn't. Plus that TE Brandon Myers is gone to the Giants. Flynn is starting until Bridgewater takes over for him imo.

The funny thing with all the responses, which seems like over 50 percent think 13 players are worse than Palmer is that there is a QB we think is worse than Kolb, Mark Sanchez lol.

I'm sure a few of them are just oversights, I know I completely zoned out on Sanchez or I would have put him on my list.

Steve

Dr. Jones

Has No Time For Love
Reaction score
You pay whatever it takes to have a QB that can lead you to a SB. QB is the most important position in the NFL and to say you are willing to go to war with Carson friggen Palmer over Joe Flacco and Eli Manning because he is a cheaper option you are out yo mind. Hard to believe people are debating this.

Womp Womp!

Sent from my RAZR Maxx HD using Tapatalk II

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I never said I wouldn't pay Manning (re-read my post) and I'm sorry, we just don't agree regarding Flacco. He had almost the same number during the regular season that Carson did. Was he absolutely amazing during their playoff run? Yeah. But stop acting like he did that all year long and deserved to be the highest paid QB in the NFL. And if you believe he deserves it, don't come crashing down on me because I believe otherwise.

EDIT: In fact, the only thing that Flacco did better was throw 4 less INT's, and we could go through the footage I posted on Carson and find at least 4 INT's that weren't even his fault. Regardless, Palmer either beat him or tied him in almost every other category.

you could probably go through ANY QB's picks and find four that weren't they're fault. numbers are what you say they are. and if you're going to take money into account, shouldn't you take age into account also? as well as being able to play in the playoffs? Flacco's got age, incredible playoff success (3 AFC Title games, 1 Super Bowl Championship) and solid numbers versus Palmer, who's much older, has only been to the playoffs twice, never won a playoff game and has been dumped by two of the worst franchises in football.. one of which replaced him with a rookie QB and went to the playoffs that same year.

sorry guys, but there's a reason we were able to get Palmer for the contract we did. In the NFL, most of the time you get what you paid for. The idea that anyone would take him over Manning, Flacco, Ryan, Luck or Wilson at this point is pretty ludicrous to me. Holy cow... 12 people took him over Big Ben also? Wow.

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
you could probably go through ANY QB's picks and find four that weren't they're fault. numbers are what you say they are. and if you're going to take money into account, shouldn't you take age into account also? as well as being able to play in the playoffs? Flacco's got age, incredible playoff success (3 AFC Title games, 1 Super Bowl Championship) and solid numbers versus Palmer, who's much older, has only been to the playoffs twice, never won a playoff game and has been dumped by two of the worst franchises in football.. one of which replaced him with a rookie QB and went to the playoffs that same year.

sorry guys, but there's a reason we were able to get Palmer for the contract we did. In the NFL, most of the time you get what you paid for. The idea that anyone would take him over Manning, Flacco, Ryan, Luck or Wilson at this point is pretty ludicrous to me. Holy cow... 12 people took him over Big Ben also? Wow.

Actually, according to football outsiders, Palmer should've thrown 20 picks:

http://www.footballoutsiders.com/stat-analysis/2013/adjusted-interceptions-2012

MoeIsBetter

SPA Co-Commishioner
Reaction score

The only one on that list I took Palmer over was Flacco. And no, I do not believe Flacco is as good as some believe he is, but hey, that's why we all have our own opinions. The only way THIS Cardinals team is getting a franchise QB is by drafting one. They have too much money in other places. So yes, on THIS team, the way that money is currently structured, I take Carson Palmer over Flacco and hope the Cardinals can draft a QB to take over on a relatively small deal (until he needs re-signed). I'm failing to see why that is so hard to believe...

For what it's worth, this probably wasn't the best thread for me to post in. It's hard for me to get into the "what if" without being realistic as pertains to the CAP, either now or in future years. To close my argument, I think Flacco is a very good QB, but not at the money that's been invested in him.

bankybruce

All In!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Actually, according to football outsiders, Palmer should've thrown 20 picks:

http://www.footballoutsiders.com/stat-analysis/2013/adjusted-interceptions-2012

Three take aways from that.

First, I said it last year I was not a fan of Luck and I liked RGIII better and that 30 Adj INT is crazy. I said it before the season that he made too many bad throws in college and that still looks to be the case. http://www.arizonasportsfans.com/vb/showpost.php?p=2665766&postcount=322

Second, only Brady was better than Kold for INT Rate after being adjusted. :stick:

Third, those stats only add and do not subtract an INT that was not the fault of the QB, which is what the discussion was about. Still a great stat though.

Last edited:

bankybruce

All In!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The idea that anyone would take him over Manning, Flacco, Ryan, Luck or Wilson at this point is pretty ludicrous to me. Holy cow... 12 people took him over Big Ben also? Wow.

I agree with all except for Ben. I just don't want Ben on my football team, the same reason I don't want Vick. Although, talent has as much to do with Vick now as well.

GuernseyCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

I think it can be argued that after years of frustration, Palmer dumped the Bengals and the Raiders paid a ransom to get him and a sizable contract. I wouldn't take him over the major names, but feel confident we wouldn't have lost to Falcons, Jets or Buffalo with him at the helm last season.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I think it can be argued that after years of frustration, Palmer dumped the Bengals and the Raiders paid a ransom to get him and a sizable contract. I wouldn't take him over the major names, but feel confident we wouldn't have lost to Falcons, Jets or Buffalo with him at the helm last season.

that's possible. but using the Raiders paying a ransom for him as proof of worth doesn't do much for me considering how completely idiotic that team is with pretty much every move they make... getting an old Richard Seymour for a 1st round pick, drafting players wayyyyy too high, giving huge contracts to guys like Larry Brown and Desmond Howard and those are just the ridiculous idiotic moves i can think of off the top of my head.

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
Third, those stats only add and do not subtract an INT that was not the fault of the QB, which is what the discussion was about. Still a great stat though.

Sure they do:

FootballOutsiders said:
We subtract plays where the interception is tipped to the defender by a receiver who should have caught the pass.

We subtract Hail Mary interceptions as well as interceptions thrown in desperation on fourth down in the final 2:00 of a game.

GuernseyCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
that's possible. but using the Raiders paying a ransom for him as proof of worth doesn't do much for me considering how completely idiotic that team is with pretty much every move they make... getting an old Richard Seymour for a 1st round pick, drafting players wayyyyy too high, giving huge contracts to guys like Larry Brown and Desmond Howard and those are just the ridiculous idiotic moves i can think of off the top of my head.

Quite right. Good examples.

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score

a freakin men

Duckjake

LEGACY MEMBER
LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score

On the other hand after having played for Mike Brown and the Bengals and then the Raiders Palmer should feel right at home playing in Arizona for the Bidwills.

CardsFan88

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
But what is a dropped INT?

Is it, in both his hands fully and bounces out or is it merely something where it hits one of his outstretched arms? What it means is some guys might incorrectly get 'tips' counted. Is it one person doing the analysis? Because each person might have a different threshold of what is an INT.

Why would people choose Palmer over Luck? Simple, Palmer is a better player at this point. In 3 years, probably not. Plus with Luck you have the extra 10-15 years of him playing. But as stated in this poll, it was RIGHT NOW.

So in this poll you have to understand how wide of a way people are approaching the question. If you include future years, then yes you want Luck. But for next year, most should want Palmer. There's a slew of 1st-3rd year QB's that are like that. I'd take a slightly less talented veteran than a more promising youngster any day.

Some are taking cap into considerations, some aren't. Thus some are adding to Kaep and Wilson and subtracting from Flacco and others.

Overall if approached from a pure you can have any one of these QB's for next year only, I'd much rather have Palmer than Luck and quite a few other guys.

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
But what is a dropped INT?

Is it, in both his hands fully and bounces out or is it merely something where it hits one of his outstretched arms? What it means is some guys might incorrectly get 'tips' counted. Is it one person doing the analysis? Because each person might have a different threshold of what is an INT.

Why would people choose Palmer over Luck? Simple, Palmer is a better player at this point. In 3 years, probably not. Plus with Luck you have the extra 10-15 years of him playing. But as stated in this poll, it was RIGHT NOW.

So in this poll you have to understand how wide of a way people are approaching the question. If you include future years, then yes you want Luck. But for next year, most should want Palmer. There's a slew of 1st-3rd year QB's that are like that. I'd take a slightly less talented veteran than a more promising youngster any day.

Some are taking cap into considerations, some aren't. Thus some are adding to Kaep and Wilson and subtracting from Flacco and others.

Overall if approached from a pure you can have any one of these QB's for next year only, I'd much rather have Palmer than Luck and quite a few other guys.

:thud: