Can a Rookie Revamp the Cards’ Safety Lineup

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
That’s not really building the roster, though. None of these guys are likely on the next Cards team that wins a playoff game.
The Cards might not win a playoff game for the next decade. Can't use that logic at the moment.

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
The Cards might not win a playoff game for the next decade. Can't use that logic at the moment.
If you really believe that you should decide that we should fire everyone. Even I believe that winning a playoff game is within reach in the next three years.

daves

Keepin' it real!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If you really believe that you should decide that we should fire everyone. Even I believe that winning a playoff game is within reach in the next three years.
Well apparently you DON'T think it will be FOUR YEARS before the Cardinals win a playoff game. I'm trying to reconcile this position with your replies to @Chopper0080:
I would be happy with several two or three year deals in that group.
That’s not really building the roster, though. None of these guys are likely on the next Cards team that wins a playoff game.

I think the team has an outside chance at winning a playoff game in 2024, a good chance of winning one or more in 2025, and if they haven't won one by 2026... it's time for another complete rebuild.

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Do I believe that? No. Is that within the realm of possibility? Sure, considering the franchise.

Stout

Hold onto the ball, Murray!
Reaction score
Well apparently you DON'T think it will be FOUR YEARS before the Cardinals win a playoff game. I'm trying to reconcile this position with your replies to @Chopper0080:

I think the team has an outside chance at winning a playoff game in 2024, a good chance of winning one or more in 2025, and if they haven't won one by 2026... it's time for another complete rebuild.
This regime absolutely doesn't get until 2026 to win a playoff game. Not from me. That would be a pathetically low bar.

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score

That’s overly optimistic to me. This team won 4 games last year. Winning a playoff game is hard.

I think the Cards have an outside chance of making the playoffs this year. Next year I expect them to make the playoffs with an outside chance of winning a playoff game. In 2026 they better be among the 8-10 teams trying to win a Super Bowl.

Does that team include 31 year old Hjalte Froholdt as a major contributor? I doubt it.

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The Cards won a playoff game in the past 10 years; no reason they can’t in the next.
The Cards have won what, 7 playoff games in over their 100+ year history? I'd say that it is just as likely that they don't considering that.

BulldogCard

Veteran
Reaction score
This Cards regime and team has a high ceiling and low floor. They could surprise as there is a lot of buzz going on. Also the NFC west teams other than the Cards aren't as healthy as they look for the future. The Cards are a team that the 49ers, Rams and Seahawks could be worried about. There is a lot to prove and work to do. JG has a D going to year 2 and the oline is a physical group. It's on Murray to hand the ball off or ck into a running play if it's working. Then get that play action big play. The receivers will need to keep their eyes on the prize and show patience. They will get theirs if they are team players.

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
The Cards have won what, 7 playoff games in over their 100+ year history? I'd say that it is just as likely that they don't considering that.
All history before the merger is completely meaningless. Any history before the last CBA is mostly trivia.

The Cards are a team that the 49ers, Rams and Seahawks could be worried about. There is a lot to prove and work to do

I guess? We were 0-6 against them with an average score of 16-30.

BulldogCard

Veteran
Reaction score
All history before the merger is completely meaningless. Any history before the last CBA is mostly trivia.

I guess? We were 0-6 against them with an average score of 16-30.
Yeah, whatever Kerouac9. Tired of you disagreeing all time. You have a crystal ball into the future? Just go ahead and think the worst; it's easier, safer.

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
Historically speaking, there are very few Cardinals players in franchise history that fit that criteria.

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
That’s overly optimistic to me. This team won 4 games last year. Winning a playoff game is hard.

I think the Cards have an outside chance of making the playoffs this year. Next year I expect them to make the playoffs with an outside chance of winning a playoff game. In 2026 they better be among the 8-10 teams trying to win a Super Bowl.

Does that team include 31 year old Hjalte Froholdt as a major contributor? I doubt it.
It probably doesn't but there are only so many holes you can fill through the draft and with mid level FAs. I think it makes it much more difficult to win a playoff game when the Cardinals are constantly trying to plug holes year after year.

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
It probably doesn't but there are only so many holes you can fill through the draft and with mid level FAs. I think it makes it much more difficult to win a playoff game when the Cardinals are constantly trying to plug holes year after year.
Fair, but where are those holes going to be? Is there no chance that we’ll be able to find an upgrade over 31 year old Kyzir White in the 2025 or 2026 NFL draft?

You pay these guys and you’re locking them into your roster for a while — and at least some of that time is gonna be on the downside of their peak/career.

Froholdt is the 21st-highest paid center. If you make him the 10th — yeah it’s fine $6MM per year. Just have to decide to develop some depth behind him in the draft. Watching Christian Jones and Jon Gaines in training camp.

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
Fair, but where are those holes going to be? Is there no chance that we’ll be able to find an upgrade over 31 year old Kyzir White in the 2025 or 2026 NFL draft?

You pay these guys and you’re locking them into your roster for a while — and at least some of that time is gonna be on the downside of their peak/career.

Froholdt is the 21st-highest paid center. If you make him the 10th — yeah it’s fine $6MM per year. Just have to decide to develop some depth behind him in the draft. Watching Christian Jones and Jon Gaines in training camp.
I guess this is why I am ok with giving him a three year deal. Even at 3 years, 18 mil if you draft and develop his replacement, it isn't financially punitive to keep both or just cut Fro. And yes, none of these players are irreplaceable but I also don't want to spend prime draft picks on the replacements. I am fine with the Cardinals spending 20 mil to keep Conner, White, and Fro if they aren't going to spend 20 mil on an EDGE rusher or DL (which there is no indication they are interested in doing so).

As I have said in multiple threads, the roster is bare for young talent that will command large contracts, and as long as the Cardinals continue to be frugal in FA, they are basically operating like they have a QB on a rookie deal over the next two seasons. This year is a prime example. Cardinals signed two DL and a starting CB in FA and they still are sitting on 35 mil.

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
I guess this is why I am ok with giving him a three year deal. Even at 3 years, 18 mil if you draft and develop his replacement, it isn't financially punitive to keep both or just cut Fro. And yes, none of these players are irreplaceable but I also don't want to spend prime draft picks on the replacements. I am fine with the Cardinals spending 20 mil to keep Conner, White, and Fro if they aren't going to spend 20 mil on an EDGE rusher or DL (which there is no indication they are interested in doing so).

As I have said in multiple threads, the roster is bare for young talent that will command large contracts, and as long as the Cardinals continue to be frugal in FA, they are basically operating like they have a QB on a rookie deal over the next two seasons. This year is a prime example. Cardinals signed two DL and a starting CB in FA and they still are sitting on 35 mil.
Yeah. As long as we’re not spending the equivalent of the Zach Ertz/Jermaine Gresham extensions on these guys it’s probably fine.

I’m Keim-pilled that if you’re re-signing one of your own guys it has to be a top 5 contract.

BulldogCard

Veteran
Reaction score
And historically accurate!
Very true..But is the MB handing it off to MO going to be historic..all the teams draft from the same pool so why not the Cards. I was a pessimist until I realized the players truly want the fans to believe. They act like they don't care; claim they don't read the posts. But I think they do. What if MO has 3 amazing drafts in a row. John Lynch spoke highly of this Cards team and staff.

Last edited:

BulldogCard

Veteran
Reaction score
Historically speaking, there are very few Cardinals players in franchise history that fit that criteria.
This team needs their own fist pumpin..They'll respond. I'm willing to eat crow...I was there in 2009 watching the Cards win the NFC. The fans willed the team to victory. Loudest I've ever heard that stadium. I had a guy say calm down it's not the NFC Championship man...No, it always has to be that loud. The players respond.

ASUCHRIS

ONE HEART BEAT!!!
Reaction score
This team needs their own fist pumpin..They'll respond. I'm willing to eat crow...I was there in 2009 watching the Cards win the NFC. The fans willed the team to victory. Loudest I've ever heard that stadium. I had a guy say calm down it's not the NFC Championship man...No, it always has to be that loud. The players respond.
We had a pretty nice homefield advantage for awhile...then lost non-stop for like 5 years at home and now it's gone. :(

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
Yeah. As long as we’re not spending the equivalent of the Zach Ertz/Jermaine Gresham extensions on these guys it’s probably fine.

I’m Keim-pilled that if you’re re-signing one of your own guys it has to be a top 5 contract.
Fair statement.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
So we shouldn't have any expectation of MHJ either? I mean he never played a down in the NFL.
You can’t count him as depth yet. When you are talking depth you’re talking about proven talent. Depth = known quantity. Draft picks, no matter how high, are not known quantities. Did the lions have depth at receiver with Roy Williams? Nope. Because he didn’t pan out.

That said, do teams have to gamble on the talent they draft? Yup. For instance if MHJ doesn’t pan out the cards receiving corps is awful. That’s a gamble. But just because they gambling on relying on him doesn’t mean they have depth. They are hoping they have depth.