Quick 1st Depth Chart Thoughts

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
1 - MHJ is the only rookie listed as a starter.

2 - Starling Thomas over Max Melton is something but not worth panicking over.

3 - Benson and Demercado at 2 and 3 at RB but Michael Carter is 5th. More cap savings on the way boys.

4 - WR spots seem pretty declared. Dortch over Jones in the slot role.

5 - Nice to see Palmer over Arias at WR.

6 - Beachum and Wilkerson at backup OTs is not ideal. I was hoping Christian Jones would have showed enough for the backup role. (after a little more thought...not a big a deal)

7 - Adams, Gaines, and Colon as the #2s inside is good for this roster. They should be.

8 - Great to see Darius Robinson and Stills as the 2s at DE/DT. It's an ok place for them to be.

9 - I am curious what the Cardinals do at NT. Is it really Lopez and Collier or will they switch things around (and how much).

10 - EDGE is bad.

11 - S and ILB look as expected.

12 - Elijah Jones behind Clark is a slight concern. Clark is 23 and Jones is 24. The idea behind drafting Jones is that he had a lot of experience so his floor was higher. It's early, but that along with Melton is something to keep an eye on.

OP
OP
Chopper0080

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
The obvious two concerns right now are EDGE and CB. EDGE with the overall talent and CB with where the rookies are initially on the depth chart. Starling Thomas and Kei'trel Clark are not huge obstacles to overcome. The hope is that it is still vey early.

QuebecCard

ASFN Addict
Reaction score

3 - Benson and Demercado at 2 and 3 at RB but Michael Carter is 5th. More cap savings on the way boys.

6 - Beachum and Wilkerson at backup OTs is not ideal. I was hoping Christian Jones would have showed enough for the backup role. (after a little more thought...not a big a deal)

7 - Adams, Gaines, and Colon as the #2s inside is good for this roster. They should be.

8 - Great to see Darius Robinson and Stills as the 2s at DE/DT. It's an ok place for them to be.

9 - I am curious what the Cardinals do at NT. Is it really Lopez and Collier or will they switch things around (and how much).

10 - EDGE is bad.

12 - Elijah Jones behind Clark is a slight concern. Clark is 23 and Jones is 24. The idea behind drafting Jones is that he had a lot of experience so his floor was higher. It's early, but that along with Melton is something to keep an eye on.

Why would anyone panic at this stage?

Doubt it will be Demarcado over Carter in the final list.

Melton and Jones have both had minor nics.

Rookies have to be rather exceptional to be placed ahead of vets in the first iteration of the chart.

OP
OP
Chopper0080

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
it feels like this is a position where you can get a guy who plays at league level at the cut down day
I don't know about that. I do think you can find better than Roy Lopez unless he is showing a lot. Have to find a team that transitioned from a 3-4 to a 4-3 and still has a NT on the roster.

slanidrac16

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Why would anyone panic at this stage?

Doubt it will be Demarcado over Carter in the final list.

Melton and Jones have both had minor nics.

Rookies have to be rather exceptional to be placed ahead of vets in the first iteration of the chart.
I like the fact that we have 5 RB’s that could make this team and 1 injuries doesn’t crush the rb room.

tennis-player

Veteran
Reaction score
Maybe someone can explain the love for Demarcardo, other than he plays special teams. Carter was much more impressive to me in the few carries he got last year.

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
Maybe someone can explain the love for Demarcardo, other than he plays special teams. Carter was much more impressive to me in the few carries he got last year.
According to Gannon, he challenged Demercado to get in better shape, and he came back jacked.

Demercado did most things really well last year. He was a good player on limited snaps.

Goldfield

Formally known as BEERZ
Reaction score

10 - EDGE is bad.

Enjoyed that thank you

BulldogCard

Veteran
Reaction score
I compare some of this to Sean Payton putting Bo Nix as third string. Everyone knows he better be starting by week 1. Lighting fires under rookies, getting them all lathered up. Stay better play angry and study way more than normal so they aren't an overpursuing, over emotional defense getting taken advantage of by savvy veteran teams like the 49ers and Rams, etc. I agree that the Cards should keep trying to get D guys.

SoonerLou

ASFN Addict
Reaction score

10 - EDGE is bad.

Gannon essentially said the depth chart means nothing.
PHNX crew said Adams is the 3rd string guard as Wilkerson gets reps at guard over him.
Trey Brenson gets 4th reps.
A lot will change.

Proximo

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Agreed, but Demarcado is signed for the min, and neither he or Carter should see much playing time if Trey does what he should.