Cardinals at Broncos PS gameday thread 8-25-24

MadCardDisease

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I haven't seen anything official on that. Who knows?
On the long run where he got near the goal line but it was called back because of another Jones holding call, it appeared he landed hard on his knee. However he was fine.

Shane

Comin for you!
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The team employee thinks he should have played so probably not.
Well he could have totally been dinged but healthy enough to play and philosophies on holding the player out differ??? Obviously

Shane

Comin for you!
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I honestly have no issue with Benson sitting rookie RBs and guys off the street have a long history of coming in and being very effective. Now Reiman I agree with 100% he need the reps imo.

ajcardfan

I see you.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I am not hitting the panic button. Hell, I have been more vocal than anyone here saying preseason shouldn't even be a thing. So, Gannon doesn't think it matters either, which I didn't expect to this extent. But, maybe he will be right?

What's disappointing is our guys were not playing Denver's best either. Denver didn't play any first string. It was almost all guys who are 3rd and 4th stringers just like ours. It was a fair matchup. And, they looked good, we got our butts kicked. It just gets old. It would be great if just for once it was the bottom of our roster out there kicking ass.

Shane

Comin for you!
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I am not hitting the panic button. Hell, I have been more vocal than anyone here saying preseason shouldn't even be a thing. So, Gannon doesn't think it matters either, which I didn't expect to this extent. But, maybe he will be right?

What's disappointing is our guys were not playing Denver's best either. Denver didn't play any first string. It was almost all guys who are 3rd and 4th stringers just like ours. It was a fair matchup. And, they looked good, we got our butts kicked. It just gets old. It would be great if just for once it was the bottom of our roster out there kicking ass.
Well last season we went 2-1 in PS only looking bad against a KC team that plays team 1 for an entire half. What did that get us? I don’t think we can take anything from PS at all….

CardNots

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Well last season we went 2-1 in PS only looking bad against a KC team that plays team 1 for an entire half. What did that get us? I don’t think we can take anything from PS at all….
but if it is an indicator we be in trouble…

I want to say we definitely played more starters last year.

tennis-player

Veteran
Reaction score
In the distant past at least you would get to see the starters for a Series or two during the preseason games. Now you barely get to see the backups. I ended up watching every snap of the last preseason game because I wanted to be able to talk about what I saw on this board. However it was painful to watch, even for me, when I knew that most of the players on the field wouldn't be in the NFL in two days.

The NFL is really going to have a hard time justifying charging for these games when more and more teams keep all of their starters out for the entire preseason.

My wife asked if we should go to one of the preseason games this year. I told her no way. It's not worth it even if the tickets were free. I'm not going to deal with the headache of getting to the game only to watch players who might be bagging my groceries in a couple of weeks. I feel for Season Ticket owner who are still forced to buy this trash. It's just another reason I no longer own season tickets.
I think the only people who go to the preseason games are season ticket holders, who are forced to purchase the tickets as part of the package, people who have been given tickets by season ticket holders, and fans of other teams that have the only opportunity to see their team.

There may be a few cities where tickets are so hard to get for regular games, that preseason is the only chance fans get to see their team, like Green Bay.

I had season tickets for 25+ years, and I could not give the preseason tickets away, especially when the team was bad.

Last edited:

juza76

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

What's disappointing is our guys were not playing Denver's best either. Denver didn't play any first string. It was almost all guys who are 3rd and 4th stringers just like ours. It was a fair matchup. And, they looked good, we got our butts kicked. It just gets old. It would be great if just for once it was the Tu bottom of our roster out there kicking ass.

Third and fourth string players are already an important indication of the ability to find decent players who can at least increase the level of competition
It is the roster evaluation that is subject to criticism
We had twelve selections, and probably 30% of them will not be part of the 53
Considering the many holes in our roster it is quite a sore point

Shane

Comin for you!
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Third and fourth string players are already an important indication of the ability to find decent players who can at least increase the level of competition
It is the roster evaluation that is subject to criticism
We had twelve selections, and probably 30% of them will not be part of the 53
Considering the many holes in our roster it is quite a sore point
Meh…. Late round picks regardless of how many you have make active rosters % wise that’s just the norm… you said 30% that’s only 4 out of 12 roughly… if you expected 90% of our draft all to make the team you were delusional to begin with.

Shane

Comin for you!
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Meh…. Late round picks regardless of how many you have make active rosters % wise that’s just the norm… you said 30% that’s only 4 out of 12 roughly… if you expected 90% of our draft all to make the team you were delusional to begin with.
@K9 you have been the poster boy for saying over the years you expect very little from the 4th on…. So why the thumbs down? Honest question? Were your expectations some how different this year for the bottom half of the draft class for some reason?

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
90% of a draft on a good team making the roster would be impressive.

90% of a draft on a team that's gone 4-13 for two consecutive seasons? Should probably be the expectation?

QuebecCard

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
So Kyle Vandenbosch on 98.7 this morning:

#1. The backup QB is probably not on this roster but Tune slightly outplayed Ridder but that isn't saying much.

#2. In every preseason game and in all facets of the game, our 2s and 3s got bad outplayed. He went into this off season thinking that the floor of the team had been built it. It ha not been.

#3. Heavily disagrees with sitting non QB rookies during preseason. They should be playing to get experience. The one rookie we had get hurt was in practice so protecting them isn't necessarily helping them.

This is a Cardinals team employee folks.

Well, our second team 'D' outplayed NO's first team 'O' in game one.

MadCardDisease

Supporting Member
Reaction score
90% of a draft on a good team making the roster would be impressive.

90% of a draft on a team that's gone 4-13 for two consecutive seasons? Should probably be the expectation?

Didn't you say in the past that a typical draft for a team yields 1 quality starter and 2 replacement level players? So that would be like a 40% hit rate for a typical 7 pick draft class.

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
Didn't you say in the past that a typical draft for a team yields 1 quality starter and 2 replacement level players? So that would be like a 40% hit rate for a typical 7 pick draft class.
Yeah, but that's over time. There are 53 spots on the active roster. For a good team, you'd expect five members of a draft class to make the team in their rookie seasons, and then maybe three or four are still around a year later.

Replacement-level players are your special teamers and backups. There's no real way to spin the fact that your 5th round pick in Christian Jones, who played five years in college and is 24 years old, can't beat out Elijah Wilkinson or Trystan Colon-Castillo. That's probably a process failure.

oaken1

Stone Cold
Supporting Member
Banned from P+R
Reaction score
Correct but that is where he thinks it's a massive mistake.
historically,..going back decades...the top 2 teams nearly never play in the final pre season game. Just the bubble players.... the top 2 usually got the third game..starters for the first half and second team for the 3nd half...then they sat until the season started.
The final pre season game is by far the most meaningless game of the season you can read more from the Hall of Fame game.

Reactions: PJ1

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sparky