2012-2013 NBA Prospects thread

OP
OP
Ronin

Ronin

In your city
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Jay Bilas just said this a bad draft year. Teams will find talent and future all star's but there is no Kevin Durant in this year's draft....and Mclemore has a lot of Ray Allen in him.

Skip Bayless said if Noel finds his offensive game...look out, and at times Mclemore doesn't have a big impact on games.

Kind of sad how the last couple of draft classes have been labeled "bad".:(

slinslin

Welcome to Amareca
Reaction score
It is the same thing every year, pay no attention. The upcomming draft always is the worst in recent memory.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It is the same thing every year, pay no attention. The upcomming draft always is the worst in recent memory.

This one is true, that's why Noel reclassified he realized he would go #1 in this class, and UK needed him.

the next class is pretty loaded, look at a kid like Wayne Selden who reclassed up a year and will go to Kansas. Different kind of player but he might eventually be better than McLemore, better ball handler, probably not as good a shooter as McLemore but athletic, physically strong. If he works hard he has a chance to be terrific, he's the SIXTH rated SF on Scout right now in the class.

There's probably 5-6 kids who would be competing for the top player in this years class if they were in it. There are kids I think are overrated, not a huge Harrison twin fan for example, think Vonleh, Randle and Gordon are all convinced they're guards when they're not, but the talent level is MUCH higher next year than this.

leclerc

The smooth operator
Reaction score
We'll most likely be in the lottery next year also, so that's fine.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'll throw it out there since he's apparently going off in the Pac 12 tourney(I'm not watching). How high for Jahii Carson if he comes out as it appears he will?

He's small, but very talented, is he a first rounder?

he has holes not a great shooter, not a pure PG but sure is quick.

Phrazbit

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I doubt Carson is a 1st rounder. Small point guards who dont pass well or shoot well from the perimeter are not hot commodities. He would be dumb to leave, I wouldnt be shocked to see him totally undrafted.

HooverDam

Reaction score
I'll throw it out there since he's apparently going off in the Pac 12 tourney(I'm not watching). How high for Jahii Carson if he comes out as it appears he will?

He's small, but very talented, is he a first rounder?

he has holes not a great shooter, not a pure PG but sure is quick.

Im not sure why you say "it appears he will". The only person hinting at that is his Mom, who seems like kinda crazy loud mouth. Everything Ive heard Jahii himself say is he's leaning towards coming back.

He'd be foolish to come out, even though this is a weaker class. He'd be picked outside of the lottery, which means STAY IN SCHOOL. He shouldn't risk possibly sliding into Rd 2 and getting a non guaranteed contract. Though I think he'd likely get picked in the 20s.

I think down the road his shooting will be fine, he's got an OK stroke but needs repetitions. He'll learn in the NBA he can't run by everyone or jump over them like he can in HS and college. There's no reason he can't be the next Nate Robinson, and there's room for players like that in the NBA.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Im not sure why you say "it appears he will". The only person hinting at that is his Mom, who seems like kinda crazy loud mouth. Everything Ive heard Jahii himself say is he's leaning towards coming back.

He'd be foolish to come out, even though this is a weaker class. He'd be picked outside of the lottery, which means STAY IN SCHOOL. He shouldn't risk possibly sliding into Rd 2 and getting a non guaranteed contract. Though I think he'd likely get picked in the 20s.

I think down the road his shooting will be fine, he's got an OK stroke but needs repetitions. He'll learn in the NBA he can't run by everyone or jump over them like he can in HS and college. There's no reason he can't be the next Nate Robinson, and there's room for players like that in the NBA.

I don't see why. This will be a much softer draft class than next year. Also, his biggest drawback, by far, is his height and staying in school has no bearing on that. I think he goes for the draft and I think he should go for the draft. Most likely, he'll have a decent career either in the NBA or more likely overseas and it makes sense to start that career as soon as possible. He'll get plenty of repetitions to improve his shot no matter where he plays. I think this is the case for any pro prospect whose greatest strength (speed) and greatest liability (size) are both unlikely to be impacted by staying in school.

Steve

OP
OP
Ronin

Ronin

In your city
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Anyone watching Shabazz right now...2-8 4 points...looks like ASU is about to pull away from UCLA.

Meanwhile NMSU is bringing the pain to Idaho.:D

SYR-Pittsburgh is also a good game.

slinslin

Welcome to Amareca
Reaction score
Anyone watching Shabazz right now...2-8 4 points...looks like ASU is about to pull away from UCLA.

Meanwhile NMSU is bringing the pain to Idaho.:D

SYR-Pittsburgh is also a good game.

And now UCLA is ahead and Shabazz has 16/10/2 and shooting 50%.

I'd still pick him, him or McLemore have the most star potential by far in the draft and we need a go to guy scorer.

OP
OP
Ronin

Ronin

In your city
Super Moderator
Reaction score
I'd still pick him, him or McLemore have the most star potential by far in the draft and we need a go to guy scorer.
I wouldn't be too upset with Shabazz or gung ho about him. meh pick for me.
Not too keen on high Volume shooters( Allen Iverson, Carmelo Anthony,etc).

OP
OP
Ronin

Ronin

In your city
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Meanwhile: Mclemore is an efficient 8-12 from the field (24 points).

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score

I guess the rumor on ASU boards is different than UCLA boards which seem convinced Carson is gone.

It's a weak draft so if you're not sure, this is the year to come out.

He can obviously get better but man is he quick.

SweetD

Next Up
Supporting Member
Moderator Emeritus
Reaction score
Shabazz almost lost the game today, by almost getting a "T" when they were only up by 3. Maybe is it my ASU hate going on right now, but he just doesn't seem like a player you want to build around. He kinda reminds me of Ben Gordon, can score but want to be the man, but will only ever be a great #2 or #3 option.

OP
OP
Ronin

Ronin

In your city
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Shabazz is shooting 45%+/40%+ he is very efficient.
In college...
Carmelo was 45%/33% and very efficient in college..look how that turned out.
Beasley(lol) was 53%/43% and very efficient in college..and Beasley turned into well...Beasley.
I say suns should pass on Shabazz.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Shabazz is shooting 45%+/40%+ he is very efficient.

Yeah but a lot of that is in the paint something he'll struggle to do against NBA players.

He's really improved his catch and shoot game.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Shabazz almost lost the game today, by almost getting a "T" when they were only up by 3. Maybe is it my ASU hate going on right now, but he just doesn't seem like a player you want to build around. He kinda reminds me of Ben Gordon, can score but want to be the man, but will only ever be a great #2 or #3 option.

That was terrible officiating, felix tried to kick the ball out of Bazz' hands while he's laying on the court, instead he wound up half stepping on Bazz, and they call a double T? Just nuts, Bazz never touched Felix he just stood up and woofed at him for that.

I agree though not a guy you build a team around, he has to learn what team means first.

HooverDam

Reaction score
Speaking of Felix, according to Doug Hallers Twitter, apparently Ben Howland told Felix after the game that he has the ability to play in the NBA. I agree, I think he'll be a nice pick up in the 2nd Round or as a Free Agent for some team. If he keeps working on his outside shot, there's no reason he can't at least be a PJ Tucker type. He might even become a Raja Bell/Bruce Bowen type if he really works at it.

The Suns (currently) have picks 37, 50 and 55, maybe they can get Felix. In the 50s seems like a good spot to grab him.

Last edited:

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
http://basketball.realgm.com/wireta...ually-One-Year-Older-Than-Previously-Believed

Thats just bizarre. Shabazz is a year older than has been claimed. Dont often see false ages with American born players. His dad sounds like a real clever guy.

As a UCLA fan that LA Times article scares the hell out of me. If the dad lied about his sons age and is on probation for mortgage fraud of some sort, why in the world would I not suspect his income properties "not in my name" are legit either?

I was always somewhat leery of UCLA taking him but I figured if the NCAA cleared him and UCLA did too, they must be confident. Now, I am almost expecting a vacated season and penalties for playing a player you had reason to suspect might be ineligible.

Phrazbit

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Yeah, does not sound good for the Bruins. If they'd followed basic standards during his enrollment process you'd think they would have noticed something like his date of birth.

Also cant like having a distraction a few hours before they play in the tourny. I wonder how long the reporter sat on this story, waiting for a brutal moment to drop it.

slinslin

Welcome to Amareca
Reaction score
Doesn't change my mind much , he is still a heck of talented bball player. Ridiculous story though, probably means Shabazz is out of the top 5 or even top 7 at this point.

Still want McLemore more than anything though and well I don't believe in Marcus Smart as a NBA 2 guard.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SportsBetJake