2012-2013 NBA Prospects thread

CardsSunsDbacks

Not So Skeptical
Reaction score
It might be true that Burke and Goran would struggle to play together, but I think Goran and CJ would have no problem playing together on offense. Not sure how that would look on defense though.

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk 2

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
It might be true that Burke and Goran would struggle to play together, but I think Goran and CJ would have no problem playing together on offense. Not sure how that would look on defense though.

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk 2

CJ is a little bigger and he can be more of a combo guard. Yes, I would agree with this. Not sure what kind of defender CJ is. Either way, I think they would have some difficulty with bigger twos.

Reaction score
Goran and (Burke or McCollum) cannot play at the same time. All 3 need to have the ball in their hands to be effective because they create their own shots. Goran does not play well off the ball and he came back to PHX because he wanted to be the starting PG, you bring in Burke or McCollum, Goran probably will want to be traded if he has to play SG.

I think Burke can play with Dragic just because he's listed as the two doesn't mean he can't still bring the ball up the court Burke can really shoot the ball to as well as Dragic so both could play without the ball. Not mention most people compare Dragic to Manu who's a two guard who at times can be the playmaker.

Simply Burke has everything we need playmaking ability he can score he can get in the paint and he has that will to win which we seems to lack with a lot of other things. Plus I believe Marshall was always better suited to come off the bench.

And if Utah don't get there PG with there 1st pick we could trade Marshall for the 21st pick I believe or Dragic for the 14th really depends on what we do think if we take Burke MCW could go to NO's then you have Detroit and the kings two Mavericks as well who I believe are all ahead of the Jazz. The 21st pick could get us Ricky Ledo who has AllStar upside.

But with that said and as much as I like Burke Oldipo or McLemore are better fits and are as talented if not more I just think Burke's NBA game is way ahead of them. With Bennett I'd rather take Burke and basicly give the starting 4 spot to Markiff Morris who really needs to take his game to the next level he could be an above average starter for us heck didn't he block like 9 shots one game he can score inside and outside as well as rebound we he started I believe his numbers were much better to.

Reaction score
CJ is a little bigger and he can be more of a combo guard. Yes, I would agree with this. Not sure what kind of defender CJ is. Either way, I think they would have some difficulty with bigger twos.

I think to many people see cj as this "elite scorer" who could come in and put up 20 a game just remember Burke played div 1 if he played at a smaller college he would have killed it probably put up better number than Eric Green I think people just forget the level of competition CJ played against compared to say Burke. Just look what he did in foul trouble in the championship game.

As far as size Burke actually has as much size he has a higher standing reach than CJ does. He really isn't all that small a PG when you factor in his wing span which is 6-5 he has the same standing reach as Kendall Marshall who what 6-4 size isn't a problem with Burke and funny thing is if he was a inch taller I feel the magic would be a lock to take him at 2 one inch isn't that much and won't makea difference 3-4 inches yea that can make a difference Burke is lucky to have that wingspan other wise they would have a legit problem there.

Funny thing is people say Burke is small to defend Westbrook or CP3 or Derrick Rose funny thing is you can put your best defender on any of them big or small and there still going to score at will there just great players same thing with Shabazz who's falling in the draft still averaged what 18 points as a freshman that's pretty good. Last year it was Drummond who fell and was a steal in my opinion Bazz at 10 or later is a steal and Burke at 5 or later is a steal.

Reaction score
If the draft goes

Noel
McLemore
Porter
Oldipo

Who do we take and seeing we only won 25 games I think every position is open people screaming we have Dragic well he what 27-28 next year he'll likely be 30 or older before we make the playoffs again and well Marshall's Marshall he's a great playmaker but has a long long ways to go offensively and his game is really suited better for him to come off the bench.
My order would be Burke,Len,KCP,Bennett.

Hopefully Len and Bennett can both seal top 4 picks Bennett to the Wiz and Len to the Bobcats with Noel going one and Burke going two. Then who'd you take McLemore or Oldipo? I'd have to say Oldipo he is just so much more of a complete player with Dipo I see a Paul George type player a very good two way player. With McLemore I see a Klay Thompson type player who can really shoot it but has to really develop the rest of his game.

Joe Mama

Supporting Member
Reaction score
This was a thought that passed through my mind as well.

However, I think McDonough may also look at versatility. If Bennett can develop SF skills, this would make for a stronger frontline for the Suns. Although Bennett may lack height as a PF (although not comparing) Boozer and Barkley rumble through my mind or in some respects Faried with more scoring ability. I do think if Bennett develops, he may be a load for opposing teams to handle.

at the time he was drafted Carlos Boozer was 6'9.5" in a pair of shoes with thick 1.75" soles. His standing reach was 9' 0.5". Faried is probably is the type of guy I was looking for in the draft express list. He was 6'7.5" in shoes with a 7'0" wingspan and 9'0" standing reach. Also, Paul Millsap was about the same size. Maybe Bennett is like them and can play powerful rid of the NBA.

Joe

Reaction score
at the time he was drafted Carlos Boozer was 6'9.5" in a pair of shoes with thick 1.75" soles. His standing reach was 9' 0.5". Faried is probably is the type of guy I was looking for in the draft express list. He was 6'7.5" in shoes with a 7'0" wingspan and 9'0" standing reach. Also, Paul Millsap was about the same size. Maybe Bennett is like them and can play powerful rid of the NBA.

Joe

Don't know if we want a Paul Milsap type player with the 5th overall pick. Bennett didn't measure as well at the combine that makes me woulder because he could be closer to 6-6 rather than 6-8 and its that was the case he'd fall a long ways done in the draft because if he was really 6-8 or 6-9 he'd be gone by the time we pick and is likely to be any way I think the Wiz are going to grab him at 3.

If we go Big I'd rather take Zeller or Len Because with Bennett there just so much risk involved and if its one thing the suns have to do that they haven't recently it is to at least get a good starter if not an all star or franchise type player( And I understand we were picking late in the lottery but we passed up some pretty good guys). If Zeller can really shoot it like his camp is saying he can he could be a poor mans Kevin Love not sure Zeller would ever be that kind of rebounder love is or heck even a 10 rebound a game guy but Offensively he's more skilled than Love was coming out and more athletic as well as bigger to Alex Len could be A Pau Gasol type if he can consistently hit that 15 footer and score out of the post like he did in college.

I just hoping for Oldipo,McLemore or Burke all 3 are game changers day 1 I believe.

Reaction score

Joe

I'll add Boozer can't play a lick of defense either he's as likely to score 20 as to give up 20 not to mention he's making max money I believe.

Reaction score
This was a thought that passed through my mind as well.

However, I think McDonough may also look at versatility. If Bennett can develop SF skills, this would make for a stronger frontline for the Suns. Although Bennett may lack height as a PF (although not comparing) Boozer and Barkley rumble through my mind or in some respects Faried with more scoring ability. I do think if Bennett develops, he may be a load for opposing teams to handle.

I think its legit that he is talking up some of these guys manly to not let teams below us to get a feel on what we're going to do. He talked about Shabazz as he was very high on him.

I think people forget he was a scout that actually went out and scouted so a lot of these players like Bazz or Ricky Ledo or Bennett he saw all them at a highschool level.

I was reading he had scouted Rondo and Brady since they were in high school and that was one of the main reasons he though they'd be good NBA players.

All the teams are doing it like the Cavs saying they might take McLemore that may be them trying to drive up the trade value of the pick. Or Orlando saying there very very high on Oldipo and McLemore then say they might want to trade down to get Burke seems like they want Burke but don't want to take him at 2 maybe trying to get a team like us or the Bobcats to trade up.

I do have a gut feeling MCD is very high on Ricky Ledo he just kind of falls in that Rondo and bradly type were MCD done his homework. Ledo was getting KD comparisons coming out of college but I'm not sure he'll be there at 30.

Errntknght

Reaction score
Huh, they still have Noel going number 1. They have Alex Len going fourth, by dint of which Oladipo falls to us.

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Huh, they still have Noel going number 1. They have Alex Len going fourth, by dint of which Oladipo falls to us.

They have a list of top 100 prospects. Len is on top. The mock is where they think they will be drafted.

http://www.draftexpress.com/rankings/Top-100-Prospects/

Just interesting. RealGM is projecting that we will be going for a big in the draft. Its all posturing right now. Smokescreens, misinformation. Can't believe anything.

Errntknght

Reaction score
They have a list of top 100 prospects. Len is on top. The mock is where they think they will be drafted.

http://www.draftexpress.com/rankings/Top-100-Prospects/

Just interesting. RealGM is projecting that we will be going for a big in the draft. Its all posturing right now. Smokescreens, misinformation. Can't believe anything.

I see, I see.

I pretty much agree with RealGM, that we should be going big. I know most people think SG is where we are hurting the most but I think PF has been our weakest position, especially considering that Scola is our best and he doesn't figure in our future plans. Unless Gortat has had a change of heart with the advent of McD and Hornacek we can't count on him either - and, in any case, he's a bit too old. We could sure use a couple of mid first round picks this year to snatch up some bigs like Dieng and Adams.
With the five pick we probably should go with the BPA but if McD thinks its a close call and say, Len or Noel, is available I'd expect us to take him. I'd be surprised by a reach for Zeller or Olynyk because they're weak defensively and McD has demonstrated a liking for players that defend. I think he'll pass on Bennett, too.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Just watching all the players the Suns brought in for workouts, I would not be surprised if they did not wait until #30 to draft a SG or a PG that shoots. It seems there will be some available late where a good big man may not last that long. Also I would not be surprised if the Suns tried to trade for another pick or try to move around in the draft. McDonough seems comfortable in his player knowledge wherever they select

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Is it just me or is that hair hurting Olynyk's draft status. I am not against longer hair per se, but that girly stringy look is atrocious. There are a couple of pics of him with short hair and it makes him look alot more, well, manly.

You must be registered for see images

You must be registered for see images

Last edited:

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Is it just me or is that hair hurting Olynyk's draft status. I am not against longer hair per se, but that girly stringy look is atrocious. There are a couple of pics of him with short hair and it makes him look alot more, well, manly.

Maybe he can wear his hair like Joakim Noah. ;)

Who cares about his hair length if he can play.

Superbone

Phoenix native; Lifelong Suns Fan
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It's a good weapon to whip into your opponent's eyes.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Maybe he can wear his hair like Joakim Noah. ;)

Who cares about his hair length if he can play.

I think his point is that it might influence the decision makers when it comes to his draft status not that it will affect his play. It does make him look soft which I guess might make a difference to someone if they were on the fence about him.

Steve

Joe Mama

Supporting Member
Reaction score
He looks like a 7 foot version of the young kid on Dazed and Confused.

Joe

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I think his point is that it might influence the decision makers when it comes to his draft status not that it will affect his play. It does make him look soft which I guess might make a difference to someone if they were on the fence about him.

Steve

Maybe true for some team on the fence.

However, some had questions about Noah's toughness entering the NBA due to the more privileged background of his parents.

Superbone

Phoenix native; Lifelong Suns Fan
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Steve

It could have save some people a lot of money if they had considered this with Adam Morrison. :p

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SportsBetJake