2013 Summer League

Sci Fi

All Star
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Anyone see Kelly Olynyk? He's spectacular. I realize it's only summer league but for me he's the leading candidate for ROY. His combination of size, shooting, ball handling, passing and smarts is special. Cuban should be kicking himself.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
Anyone see Kelly Olynyk? He's spectacular. I realize it's only summer league but for me he's the leading candidate for ROY. His combination of size, shooting, ball handling, passing and smarts is special. Cuban should be kicking himself.

One. Game.

Neo

Red Tape Sorter
Reaction score
Part of the knock agains Olynyk is that while he dominated in the WCC, he struggled against elite defenders. While Olynyk might end up being a great NBA player, Summer League success does not prove that he can do the same thing against NBA defenders in a game that matters.

Sci Fi

All Star
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
You're calling him a leading contendor for Rookie of the Year. After one summer league game. Do you know how ridiculous that sounds?

Sorry, not really. It's actually three games, not one. Maybe I'm just a good judge of talent? But beyond that, it's not that crazy. Someone has to be the leading candidate now, right? I don't find it hard to see a 7 footer who can handle the ball and shoot like he does as being that guy.

Sci Fi

All Star
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Part of the knock agains Olynyk is that while he dominated in the WCC, he struggled against elite defenders. While Olynyk might end up being a great NBA player, Summer League success does not prove that he can do the same thing against NBA defenders in a game that matters.

I suggest you watch his SL games. He has no trouble getting his shot. Against Orlando, he was the best player on the court and they basically played an NBA team.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
Sorry, not really. It's actually three games, not one. Maybe I'm just a good judge of talent? But beyond that, it's not that crazy. Someone has to be the leading candidate now, right? I don't find it hard to see a 7 footer who can handle the ball and shoot like he does as being that guy.

That must be it.

Oladipo has been doing well, yet what about him? Too bad Bo Outlaw isn't playing this year--you might proclaim him MVP. ;)

Sci Fi

All Star
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
That must be it.

Oladipo has been doing well, yet what about him? Too bad Bo Outlaw isn't playing this year--you might proclaim him MVP. ;)

To me, Olynyk looks a good bit better, although Oladipo looks fairly good. Poor shooter though when he has to move. That will cause him some problems.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
To me, Olynyk looks a good bit better, although Oladipo looks fairly good. Poor shooter though when he has to move. That will cause him some problems.

I like Olynyk quite a bit but I think it's too early to hand him the ROY. I think he'd have been a top 5 pick if his length wasn't such a concern. If he can get his shot off against the longer players, his athleticism should carry him well. He runs the court and moves like he's a guard. He'd have been something special in a Dantoni offense.

Steve

slinslin

Welcome to Amareca
Reaction score
Olynyk has looked fantastic, obviously Chaplin has not watched him and then brining up Bo Outlaw who played pick up summer league games in los angeles against amateur players is hardly the same.

Neo

Red Tape Sorter
Reaction score
All you have to read is the title of a story about game in last year's summer league to know how reliable summer league games predict NBA success.

"Unstoppable Adam Morrisson Obliterates Lakers in Summer League Game"

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/unstop...lakers-summer-league-game-053300853--nba.html

The issue is not whether or not people have watched someone play in summer league, it is wheter or not one thinks the competition is at a high enough level to predict NBA success.

Last edited:

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Olynyk may be as good as supporters say, but Summer League is not where one determines that. I think Chaplin's point is legitimate.

Neo

Red Tape Sorter
Reaction score
Olynyk may be as good as supporters say, but Summer League is not where one determines that. I think Chaplin's point is legitimate.

In particular just one summer league game is not enough to prove anything. Marcus Banks scored 42 points for the Suns in a Summer League game.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
In particular just one summer league game is not enough to prove anything. Marcus Banks scored 42 points for the Suns in a Summer League game.

I was trying to forget that. :)

slinslin

Welcome to Amareca
Reaction score
summer league is as good a prediction tool for NBA success as anything, in fact better.

It might be hard for some to understand but a prediction does not mean it is 100% accurate but overall summer league success IS in fact a very good indication and most summer league stars at worst have had lasting NBA careers while a large portion of the summer league MVPs have continued to be stars in the NBA.

Olynyk had 3 very good games so far.

Phrazbit

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
The hall of fame better start perfecting the long luxurious hair for Olynyk's plaque.

KJBuckets

Reaction score
I just want Goodwin to drive to the bucket and dunk everything, perhaps hit some mid range shots for good measure and keep defenders honest.

sunsfan88

ASFN Icon
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
summer league is as good a prediction tool for NBA success as anything, in fact better.
Do you have any idea how much credibility you just lost with this line alone?

No seriously, do you?

slinslin

Welcome to Amareca
Reaction score
Do you have any idea how much credibility you just lost with this line alone?

No seriously, do you?

coming from you that hits hard, name a better prediction tool than actual summer league play might be the first time you contribute something.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Tend to agree with others doing well in Summer League doesn't necessarily mean anything, doing poorly probably means you better hope you can still get work overseas or that you actually went to class when in college.

Weak draft, weak summer league talent so doing well in that setting doesn't mean much, but doing poorly is a bad sign.

sunsfan88

ASFN Icon
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
coming from you that hits hard, name a better prediction tool than actual summer league play might be the first time you contribute something.

Lol first time I contribute something? Coming from the man whose banned on most other boards because of the nonsense he posts (RealGM especially) and then comes here trying to do the same thing as well?

And geez I don't know how about training camp, pre season games, the player's rookie and sophomore seasons in the NBA are all way better "prediction tools" of how the player will eventually turn out to be than summer league games.

There have been so many scrubs who dominate SL and then absolutely suck and most of the time don't even make it to the roster after training camp.

slinslin

Welcome to Amareca
Reaction score
Lol first time I contribute something? Coming from the man whose banned on most other boards because of the nonsense he posts (RealGM especially) and then comes here trying to do the same thing as well?

And geez I don't know how about training camp, pre season games, the player's rookie and sophomore seasons in the NBA are all way better "prediction tools" of how the player will eventually turn out to be than summer league games.

There have been so many scrubs who dominate SL and then absolutely suck and most of the time don't even make it to the roster after training camp.

NBA games are a better prediction tool concerning how well a player can/will do in the NBA.

Brilliant! seriously..

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
NBA games are a better prediction tool concerning how well a player can/will do in the NBA.

Brilliant! seriously..

What's wrong with his point. It's not like you can know everything there is to know about a player after his first five NBA games or even his first season or two. You're still taking a guess based on incomplete information just like you are when judging someone in a summer league game. What you can't do or at least what you shouldn't do is proclaim someone great from one or two appearances in a summer game.

Steve

KloD

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Summer league does not determine whether a person will have success in the NBA. Yes, more often than not a poor summer league performance is often followed by poor play in the NBA (if they make a roser), but there have been exceptions. Nicolas Batum comes to mind.

Latest posts

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SportsBetJake