2023-24 Around the NBA Thread

1982baskets

Veteran
Reaction score
National media are now going to tout the Lakers as champions for the next several months. Yuck.
Let them, the in season tournament rules were a joke. One offs with no scheduling distinction, where many of the best teams were eliminated. They have to take time off to run this as a real tournament. Think about running a tennis US open or Wimbledon while having the players play out of tournament games. This is ridiculous. All that we saw is Lebron cares a lot more about that recognition than other stars did. The Lakers are a good team, but this tournament was ridiculous.

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Let them, the in season tournament rules were a joke. One offs with no scheduling distinction, where many of the best teams were eliminated. They have to take time off to run this as a real tournament. Think about running a tennis US open or Wimbledon while having the players play out of tournament games. This is ridiculous. All that we saw is Lebron cares a lot more about that recognition than other stars did. The Lakers are a good team, but this tournament was ridiculous.

I wouldn't go that far and I doubt you'd be saying that had we won the tournament. It does need tweaking to get it better but I believe it's more of a proving ground for young teams as we saw with the Pacers making the finals and the Pelicans making the final 4. It's nothing to brag about but it can help give a team a confidence boost, which we could have used. The Lakers will likely capitalize on it and probably make a deal to help their postseason odds. They did make the Western Conference Finals last year and this tournament win helps prove that wasn't a fluke. Let them gloat the media crown them because the Lakers have a history of falling short of expectations. They don't worry me in a 7 game series in the playoffs as currently constructed.

Yuma

Suns are my Kryptonite!
Reaction score
When you are completely stacked at a position that the BPA belongs to than you trade out of the spot IMO. Of course this is not really a factor with Hali as we were not stacked at PG when we passed on him.
Yeah, wasn't talking that year, but the history of Suns. That year we had a starter at PG, but not at PF. So arguably we were better there. Still, I get what everyone is saying, if there is a guy dominant you take him. I remember though, there was still doubt about his game. A lot of revisionist thinking based on how he is playing now.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yeah, wasn't talking that year, but the history of Suns. That year we had a starter at PG, but not at PF. So arguably we were better there. Still, I get what everyone is saying, if there is a guy dominant you take him. I remember though, there was still doubt about his game. A lot of revisionist thinking based on how he is playing now.
The plan was to always play Jae at stretch 4. So they had their 4. Also, Smith was looked at as a very raw, developmental project so he wasn’t filling any slot at 4 in the near future.

And the revisionist thinking comment is so off base. People might not have known Halli was gonna be one of the best players in the game, but AT THE TIME WERE STILL CLAMORING FOR HIM. That’s not revisionist or hindsight. That’s barely even foresight. It was point blank OBVIOUS to A LOT of fans on this board and they said so at the time.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yeah there were a lot of questions about his game and it wouldn't suprise me to learn that a lot of teams had other players rated higher than Tyrese. But I find it impossibe to accept that we had Jalen Smith ranked the same or higher than Haliburton.

Yuma

Suns are my Kryptonite!
Reaction score
Yeah there were a lot of questions about his game and it wouldn't suprise me to learn that a lot of teams had other players rated higher than Tyrese. But I find it impossibe to accept that we had Jalen Smith ranked the same or higher than Haliburton.
I wouldn't bet that. we took Stix. People passed on Michael Jordan. It happens.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
Did I expect this level? No. Was he the guy I was stoked fell to us and considered a no-brainer. Yup, yup, and double yup. No revisionist history here. And I was right.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Did I expect this level? No. Was he the guy I was stoked fell to us and considered a no-brainer. Yup, yup, and double yup. No revisionist history here. And I was right.
I wasn't sold on him but yeah I think it was clear at the time that most fans on this forum were excited that he'd dropped to us.

Phrazbit

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I’m sure whatever “treatment” the NBA puts him through will be meaningless but at least this ensures a lengthy suspension.

My guess… 10 games.

Devilmaycare

Nerd Supreme
Reaction score
I’m sure whatever “treatment” the NBA puts him through will be meaningless but at least this ensures a lengthy suspension.

My guess… 10 games.
Hopefully it hits at least 20 games. Per the ESPN article on it:

"Green will be docked $153,941 per game if his suspension is fewer than 20 games, and $202,922 per game if more than 20 games."

Lorenzo

Reaction score
Kind of an ambiguous approach to suspend him indefinitely. He doesn’t seem to have any self control. I swing my arms to sell calls lol. Seems pretty childish.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score

My guess… 10 games.

It's gotta be at least that because the 5 game suspension clearly didn't work.

It also sort of IMO gives Steve Kerr an "out" because he has to make lineup changes and with Green out he can do it under less scrutiny, I'm not benching Wiggins or Klay, we're making adjustments because Draymond is out.

I think Nurkic nailed it, something is wrong with Green, he needs help.

CardsSunsDbacks

Not So Skeptical
Reaction score
It's gotta be at least that because the 5 game suspension clearly didn't work.

It also sort of IMO gives Steve Kerr an "out" because he has to make lineup changes and with Green out he can do it under less scrutiny, I'm not benching Wiggins or Klay, we're making adjustments because Draymond is out.

I think Nurkic nailed it, something is wrong with Green, he needs help.
I have no idea what the parameters are, but I imagine it will involve a certain amount of hours of seeing a psychiatrist. Could also involve a minimum amount of games missed, but you have to imagine at least 10 games.

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
This clip of Barkley from a week ago is making the rounds again online. Former Warriors GM Bob Myers was part of the panel for the In Season Tournament and Barkley pointed out how he got out before the ship went down.

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I don't think they can but I think the Warriors are in a situation where they think they can still contend, but they're going to have to change things, immediately, to get there. I just don't think they have enough to do that, Klay and Wiggins massive demise leaves them not enough offense.

If I were Kerr I'd be very tempted to start Looney, Kuminga, Moody, Podz and Curry. Let Podz be the primary PG. You can argue to start CP3 and keep Podz off the bench but that only works if you limit his minutes, if he plays too much, he's going to get hurt again, he probably will anyways.

Klay averages 30 MPG, Wiggins 27(26.9), both those numbers need to come down IMO. Kuminga at 20.5 needs to come up to more like 25-28 if he can handle it. Moody has to go up from 19.2 into that same 25-28 range. Podz is just under 20 that has to go up to 25+.

It's a small lineup but they're small anyways, Podz is a great rebounder, they'll have to get more boards from Kuminga and Moody but honestly it's not like either Wiggins or Klay is a great rebounder right now.

I don't think that roster can contend and if they make a deal someone is going to want either Kuminga or Moody, or maybe both, so unless there's some fringe contender who thinks they can unlock Wiggins and take him in a deal, I don't see how the roster gets better.

Proximo

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I don't think they can but I think the Warriors are in a situation where they think they can still contend, but they're going to have to change things, immediately, to get there. I just don't think they have enough to do that, Klay and Wiggins massive demise leaves them not enough offense.

If I were Kerr I'd be very tempted to start Looney, Kuminga, Moody, Podz and Curry. Let Podz be the primary PG. You can argue to start CP3 and keep Podz off the bench but that only works if you limit his minutes, if he plays too much, he's going to get hurt again, he probably will anyways.

Klay averages 30 MPG, Wiggins 27(26.9), both those numbers need to come down IMO. Kuminga at 20.5 needs to come up to more like 25-28 if he can handle it. Moody has to go up from 19.2 into that same 25-28 range. Podz is just under 20 that has to go up to 25+.

It's a small lineup but they're small anyways, Podz is a great rebounder, they'll have to get more boards from Kuminga and Moody but honestly it's not like either Wiggins or Klay is a great rebounder right now.

I don't think that roster can contend and if they make a deal someone is going to want either Kuminga or Moody, or maybe both, so unless there's some fringe contender who thinks they can unlock Wiggins and take him in a deal, I don't see how the roster gets better.
I don't think anyone believes that anymore, especially the Warriors themselves.

Klay is shot, Draymond is shot, and Wiggens has become trash inexplicably.

2 out of those 3 are for sure not changing.

When you are relying on Dario for offense you are a really bad team - no other way that happens.

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

They need to find a sucker to take Wiggins. Maybe attach a pick to him but short of that happening they aren't contending. Klay isn't going anywhere and they have Green looming over them also. They need to do what they can to position themselves to go on a run near the end of the season. I'm not sure how they do it but Bob Myers looks like a genius walking away when he did.

95pro

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

When you are relying on Dario for offense you are a really bad team - no other way that happens.

Is the Wiggins stuff true about his kids and his friend actually being the father? Has he not come back from that (understandably)?

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score

I'm not sure they've come to that conclusion yet. I agree with you, I'm just not sure they are there yet.

The second Payton limped off the court with an obvious serious injury I said they won't make the playoffs. They were struggling then but there were enough pieces that I believed they could make the playoffs by mixing and matching. Without him they just don't have enough pieces without relying heavily on CP3, who's going to get hurt if they do that. They don't play the same position obviously but Podz and Moody won't get all of Payton's minutes because Kerr still won't trust them in as many situations as he did Payton, so he'll play CP3 in those times.

Now you subtract Draymond for say 10 games or more and CP3 HAS to play more because they want to keep Curry off the ball and without Green that is going to mean CP3 and Cory Joseph, who despite being younger than CP3 seems even more cooked than CP3 to me.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
What is this now?

One of the rumors about why he was out last year was his girl had an affair and he just found out but that's never been corroborated and the Warriors players have been pretty clear it's not true. Many of them have said he's been the victim of a bunch of false rumors.

Nobody really knows but his dad was apparently quite sick

FYI Tim Kawakami says he thinks the NBA doing it indefinite was a message to the Warriors, we're sick of this, you do something about it