2023-24 Around the NBA Thread

Muggz

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Hopefully it hits at least 20 games. Per the ESPN article on it:

"Green will be docked $153,941 per game if his suspension is fewer than 20 games, and $202,922 per game if more than 20 games."
He could do game night podcasts and quadruple that. Money is not a punishment.
If I were the NBA I'd make him go around and clean all the stadium bathrooms, on game night for the next 20 games.
But nobody comes to me for the answers.

CardsSunsDbacks

Not So Skeptical
Reaction score
He could do game night podcasts and quadruple that. Money is not a punishment.
If I were the NBA I'd make him go around and clean all the stadium bathrooms, on game night for the next 20 games.
But nobody comes to me for the answers.
In that scenario he would be losing over $4M. It wouldn't cripple Green in all likelihood, but he would feel it.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Bay Area rumors have the Warriors picking up Nerlens Noel in an attempt to get a rim protector. He hasn't played that much since 20-21, is a free agent now, could always block shots but the concern is the Warriors offense doesn't fit him because he's not a guy known for setting screens.

The Vucevic rumors seem to have disappeared I assume they decided they would have to give up too much. It only made sense if you could get them to take Wiggins in the deal, having to give up Kuminga, or Moody, or both to get Vucevic made no sense at all. With Wiggins still not playing well seriously doubt the Bulls had any interest.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Kareem reportedly fell and broke his hip. He is scheduled for surgery.

Duane Rankin reposted

You must be registered for see images attach

Kareem Abdul-Jabbar
@kaj33

Medical Statement from Kareem Abdul Jabbar’s longtime Business Partner, Deborah Morales “Last night while attending a concert , Kareem had an accidental fall and broke his hip. He will have surgery today. We are all deeply appreciative of all the support for Kareem, especially from the Los Angeles Fire Department who assisted Kareem on site and the amazing medical team and doctors at UCLA Hospital who are taking great care of Kareem now. “

1:24 PM · Dec 16, 2023

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Really wish we had gone after Nick Nurse. He was the HC I wanted going back to last mid-season. He’s done a nice job with the Sixers, making good on the addition by subtraction move trading Harden and unleashing Maxey.

Yuma

Suns are my Kryptonite!
Reaction score
Pistons fans are creative.

Gotta think outside the box.

You must be registered for see images attach
I have literally brought this up as there isn't technically a rule against it that I could find. ;)

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I have literally brought this up as there isn't technically a rule against it that I could find. ;)

Tell Monty the 5 guys he dislikes the most were eye balling his daughters. Poor Jaden Ivey would be 1. He's been in Monty's doghouse all season.

That would get Monty's contract off their books too. He's making too much to be let go right now. They're stuck with him for 1 more season, at least.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
This is amazing. Some people have far too much time and talent for their own good.

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

At first glance, it looked like he slipped on the court.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Love me some Steph Curry but he did something last night I've never seen him do that nearly cost them a game.

Warriors up 113-108, 46 seconds on the clock and Curry pulls what the box says is a 32 foot jumper that misses. Sharpe tips in a miss at the other end, Looney fouls him 3 point play 2 point game.

Why Curry took the shot was the problem, he had a streak of 268 straight games with a made 3. Last night he was sick, you could visibly see him coughing throughout the game. He was 0- 7 from 3 at that point and figured up 5 it's safe I'm going to jack this to try and keep the streak going.

Portlant eventually got the ball down 2, after missed Curry FT and Podz took a charge on Sharpe to save the game.

Even the Warrior announcers were surprised they both agreed he took it, with 5 seconds on the shot clock, because he wanted to keep his streak going.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
They wouldn't have to go to such extremes as killing anyone. Apparently, just dismembering them would qualify as sufficient.
Yeah but I think you're much more likely to leave DNA and other evidence behind if you try chopping them up. It's best to just wipe them out. BTW did you hear about the guy that forget to pay his psycho killer club dues? They dismembered him.

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Yeah but I think you're much more likely to leave DNA and other evidence behind if you try chopping them up. It's best to just wipe them out. BTW did you hear about the guy that forget to pay his psycho killer club dues? They dismembered him.

I guess it depends on how dismembered. Like I said, tell Monty 5 guys are eyeballing his daughter(s) that aren't "son-in-law material" and he might remove some players "members".

Raindog

I didn't come here to be liked!
Reaction score
This hasn't aged well very quickly
Still, I think everyone is surprised by it. Now we'll see if they manage to avoid the annual injury bug and/or how things go once the honeymoon is over and they encounter some other adversity. I wouldn't put my money on smooth sailing all the way given the personalities involved.

Phrazbit

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Still, I think everyone is surprised by it. Now we'll see if they manage to avoid the annual injury bug and/or how things go once the honeymoon is over and they encounter some other adversity. I wouldn't put my money on smooth sailing all the way given the personalities involved.

I think avoiding injury is the biggest reason for their turn around thus far. Paul and Leonard have been pretty much 100% all year, not bothering with "injury management".

SIDE RANT

There has been a lot of talk lately about how the "management" of injury prone players is only making them more injury prone, their bodies are not used to contact or stress and are easily effected by it. The Clippers seem like a case study right now, they are playing their stars, not babying them and, so far at least, it is a resounding success.

It will be interesting to monitor as the year goes on.

I know I took some heat for suggesting that Beal's injury was partially because he didn't protect himself but if you have barely played competitive basketball for 3 years, it makes sense that you are not used to jumping and landing in occupied space if you hardly ever play and virtually never play if you are remotely dinged up.

I am really coming around as being against "load management" of players health. I think it only makes the problems worse as stamina goes away and muscle memory declines.

Load management became a thing only about 10 years ago, and since the rate of injuries has exploded. I know teams are terrified of players tearing their ACL or popping their Achillies, but those numbers have not declined, while the rate of ankle injuries, muscle pulls, guys taking ugly falls because they don't know how to protect themselves, it is all through the roof.

GatorAZ

feed hopkins
Reaction score
This is why I was never against Harden when those rumors were swirling. He’s much better than Beal.
xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

ajcardfan

I see you.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Injuries could derail it. And, they can't possibly be this hot the rest of the season, right? But, damn, when you are rolling like this everyone is happy.

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
This hasn't aged well very quickly

They're on a winning streak but other than 1 of those wins being against the Nuggets, it isn't that impressive. They're 12-8 with Harden, which I wouldn't consider a big success. They also had a 5 game losing streak with Harden.

Rivercard

Too much good stuff
Reaction score
They're on a winning streak but other than 1 of those wins being against the Nuggets, it isn't that impressive. They're 12-8 with Harden, which I wouldn't consider a big success. They also had a 5 game losing streak with Harden.

Not sure if you've actually watched any games, but these wins have been very impressive, night and day between now and the previous losing streak when Harden came on board. They ace the eye test. But your right, we'll have to wait and see if they can keep doing it long term against elite competition.