Alex Len

ProdigalSun

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Or is Philly Riggin' for Wiggins ...not that Noel would have helped them win that many games anyways

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
So, it looks like Noel is not going to play at all this season.

Gee, maybe the Suns doctors were right all along by (reportedly) red flagging his knee?

I thought it was actually reported that the Suns never looked at his knee. The red flag was a rumor that was never proven true. Could be wrong.

http://espn.go.com/nba/story/_/id/9860407/nerlens-noel-philadelphia-76ers-expected-for-season

Of course, this could be the ultimate tank job by the Sixers. Although I find it hard to believe that he wouldn't be out there if he could play. I don't buy what Windhorst is saying about him potentially playing if he were on any other team in the NBA. The Sixers basically forcing him to sit against his will makes zero sense and is a great way to piss off one of your young franchise cornerstones.

I don't know...the Sixers aren't even trying to hide their tank job. Lowest payroll in the league and why rush the kid back? And this takes pressure off the kid as well. time will tell.

JS22

Say Vandelay!
Reaction score
I think I recall Gambo talking about how the Suns were afraid of his knee and had no issues with Len's injury. (Yeah I know. It's Gambo. But I'm pretty sure his source is Robert Sarver.)

I just find it hard to believe that the Sixers would basically force Noel to sit, potentially against his will, if he could play at some point during the season.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I think it is a win-win situation for the 76ers. Rest Noel for the season and then go for the lottery balls. It almost has Tim Duncan like twist.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I think I recall Gambo talking about how the Suns were afraid of his knee and had no issues with Len's injury. (Yeah I know. It's Gambo. But I'm pretty sure his source is Robert Sarver.)

I just find it hard to believe that the Sixers would basically force Noel to sit, potentially against his will, if he could play at some point during the season.

He's not going to be ready until around the mid-point of the season so I don't find it all that unusual that they would hold him out a little longer than necessary. You don't want to gamble with a career and he definitely needs to fill out and get stronger in addition to basically learning the game. It's exactly what I wanted to see happen in Phoenix when I kept talking about him a year ago. Draft him, sit him, let him heal and learn. This next year looks to be a far superior draft group so it's pretty much a win-win situation. I'm fine with Len but I would have been fine with a Philadelphia kind of story too.

Steve

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
He's not going to be ready until around the mid-point of the season so I don't find it all that unusual that they would hold him out a little longer than necessary. You don't want to gamble with a career and he definitely needs to fill out and get stronger in addition to basically learning the game. It's exactly what I wanted to see happen in Phoenix when I kept talking about him a year ago. Draft him, sit him, let him heal and learn. This next year looks to be a far superior draft group so it's pretty much a win-win situation. I'm fine with Len but I would have been fine with a Philadelphia kind of story too.

Steve

Especially when losing is winning this year for Philly.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Especially when losing is winning this year for Philly.

As it would have been for us. I've frequently stated that I thought Noel would be a bust on his first contract but I'd be willing to exit last year's draft with a probably bust if it put me at/near the top of this year's lottery group.

Steve

Griffin

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
As it would have been for us. I've frequently stated that I thought Noel would be a bust on his first contract but I'd be willing to exit last year's draft with a probably bust if it put me at/near the top of this year's lottery group.

Steve
Imo, even a healthy Noel would not help Philadelphia win any additional games. Nor will Len in Phoenix. Both of these players are still fairly raw and would not have a significant impact in their rookie seasons, imo. So I don't believe that 76ers are thinking if they sit Noel for the season, it will improve their lottery chances.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Imo, even a healthy Noel would not help Philadelphia win any additional games. Nor will Len in Phoenix. Both of these players are still fairly raw and would not have a significant impact in their rookie seasons, imo. So I don't believe that 76ers are thinking if they sit Noel for the season, it will improve their lottery chances.

Well, you're probably right, Noel isn't likely to change their fortunes this season even if he's healthy. But there's no reason to take that chance in that it seems to be in his and the team's best interest to let him fully heal and return only after he's had a full offseason and preseason to prepare. He has some value on the defensive end but he has some real weaknesses even on the defensive side and his offense is non-existent. I'm not as sure about Len but that's more about what I don't know about him than what I do know.

Steve

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

Just walked into the office after driving. Gambo and Burns are talking about this right now. Burns says Philly is just tanking. Gambo says that at draft time, his sources within the Suns med staff said that they would not take Noel under ANY circumstances and that they had red flagged his knee. They did not believe he has a reasonable NBA career ahead of him because his knee is "shot" in Gambo's words.

BC867

Long time Phoenician!
Reaction score
Isn't it misleading to view an NBA rookie's season as one entity?

Over a regular season schedule (especially if he is part of the rotation), he is a far different player over the last 28 games than during the middle 27 or certainly the first 27. At least the good ones are.

Errntknght

Reaction score
Just walked into the office after driving. Gambo and Burns are talking about this right now. Burns says Philly is just tanking. Gambo says that at draft time, his sources within the Suns med staff said that they would not take Noel under ANY circumstances and that they had red flagged his knee. They did not believe he has a reasonable NBA career ahead of him because his knee is "shot" in Gambo's words.

Don't I recall that the Suns invited Noel to visit and he refused said invite - why invite him if there was no chance they'd draft him.
I suppose it could be that I assumed they'd invite him and he didn't refuse the Suns specifically but made a blanket statement about no more visits.

Phrazbit

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I think our buddy "futuresuperstar" may have oversold Alex Len a tad. He looks about as raw as one could imagine. At least I HOPE he is just "raw".

If his preseason play is any indication expect him to average about 2 points, 3.5 boards and 3 fouls a game. I really want the guy to pan out, but wow, he seems totally lost out there.

Superbone

Phoenix native; Lifelong Suns Fan
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I think our buddy "futuresuperstar" may have oversold Alex Len a tad. He looks about as raw as one could imagine. At least I HOPE he is just "raw".

If his preseason play is any indication expect him to average about 2 points, 3.5 boards and 3 fouls a game. I really want the guy to pan out, but wow, he seems totally lost out there.

He was barely cleared to play for training camp after surgery on both ankles. Give the guy some time.

Phrazbit

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
You're right, I am jumping the gun. However, I do expect very little production from him this year, and its not to say I expect him to be a bust, there have been many young bigs who came along slowly at the start of their careers. I just dont think he is ready yet, and not because of injury, he didnt look like an NBA ready player in college either.

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Yeah. I am getting a little nervous about Len. Hoping its just not wanting to get him too much too soon and letting those ankles heal.

It is going to be hard to develop him with Gortat, Plumlee, Krav, and Frye on the roster.

slinslin

Welcome to Amareca
Reaction score
Since I wanted McLemore abover all else, I'll say that I am very worried that McDonough totally blew the lottery pick.

Len looks like a long-term project.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Since I wanted McLemore abover all else, I'll say that I am very worried that McDonough totally blew the lottery pick.

Len looks like a long-term project.

Did you think he'd be anything else but a long-term project when we drafted him?

ASUCHRIS

ONE HEART BEAT!!!
Reaction score
Yeah. I am getting a little nervous about Len. Hoping its just not wanting to get him too much too soon and letting those ankles heal.

It is going to be hard to develop him with Gortat, Plumlee, Krav, and Frye on the roster.

I really hope the plan is to play Len as much as possible. By all standards, this is a lost season, and our only goal should be to run guys like Bledsoe/Len/Goodwin out there for major minutes every night.

You know, the guys that may actually be on this team two years from now.

sunsfan88

ASFN Icon
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
I really hope the plan is to play Len as much as possible. By all standards, this is a lost season, and our only goal should be to run guys like Bledsoe/Len/Goodwin out there for major minutes every night.

Yea but some say there is downside to "throwing guys into the fire".

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score

I agree with your approach but I would limit Len's minutes while he matures. IMO, Goodwin is more NBA ready than Len.

ASUCHRIS

ONE HEART BEAT!!!
Reaction score
Yea but some say there is downside to "throwing guys into the fire".

A lot of people say a lot of things :) He's going to need to learn how to play at an NBA level, and there is no substitute for experience. This is the year to throw him in the deep in and get him that experience.

By all measure, it looks like he's going to be a massive project, but considering what else we have as big men, what's the downside?

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SportsBetJake