Arizona Diamondbacks @ Houston Astros series thread. 09/06/24-09/08/24

krazy2k

Veteran
Reaction score
Astros are a heavy -165 betting favorite for tonight's game - unfortunately, DBacks lined up to face their aces in this series. Still need another DBacks series win! We need PHAT Pfaadt not PFFT Pfaadt tonight, lol.

krazy2k

Veteran
Reaction score
Welp, even with Marte, the offense is MIA again. Pfaadt pitched well through 4, but if you don't score any runs, you aren't going to win. Tory threw in the towel by pitching Montgomery. Now it is just a good old fashioned blowout by the Astros. DBacks are playing some bad ball in September - not good.

Last edited:

Bobster

All Star
Reaction score
Enough lifeless games like the last couple and they can watch the playoffs on TV.

krazy2k

Veteran
Reaction score
Vince Marotta
@Vincemarotta
·
4h

D-backs in last four games against Astros (dating to last yr) .143 avg. (17-for-119) and a grand total of two runs scored.
Lovullo and staff haven't been able to figure out Astro pitching in quite some time. Need to step it up today boyz and win one for the Gipper. Verlander tomorrow. Need to escape Houston with at least 1 win.

RON_IN_OC

https://www.ronevansrealty.com
Reaction score
And ERod melts down in the 4th. Lather, Rinse, Repeat with the Dbacks pitching staff.

RON_IN_OC

Reaction score
Lovullo and staff haven't been able to figure out Astro pitching in quite some time. Need to step it up today boyz and win one for the Gipper. Verlander tomorrow. Need to escape Houston with at least 1 win.
To be fair, Lovullo and staff haven't been able to figure out their own pitching staff either. They just suck at it.

82CardsGrad

7 x 70
Reaction score
Injuries and lack of quality pitching depth finally did this team in… :(
Hazen knows what he has to do this off season. It’s all about pitching.
No team should lead the majors in run scored and not make the post season.

RON_IN_OC

Reaction score
He brought in pitchers...the entire staff, for the most part, has just underoerformed all season long...and some have just tanked and played like poop.

Bobster

All Star
Reaction score
Floro has an ERA of 7.50 since the Diamondbacks traded for him.

Rodriguez - 5.83
Montgomery - 6.43

All fine additions.

Bobster

All Star
Reaction score
They can trust MAYBE half of their pitching staff to pitch well enough to keep them in the game most of the time.

I know Brent Strom is supposed to be something of a savant, but is it all Lovullo or is there some coaching issues as well?

82CardsGrad

7 x 70
Reaction score
He brought in pitchers...the entire staff, for the most part, has just underoerformed all season long...and some have just tanked and played like poop.
Yep. And just like GM’s and Managers do every year, they’ll assess the gaps and what is needed. Clearly, what worked in 2023 didn’t work in 2024.
The pen will need a virtual complete overhaul, sans Puk and maybe Ginkel.

Gambler

Veteran
Reaction score
Most runs scored in MLB? With all the injuries. Sounds like good coaching to me. I blame the players for not performing. They are in the majors for a reason, to perform at that level. Where is the player accountability? Hitters suck, coaches fault. Starters suck, coaches fault. Reliever suck, coaches fault. I hold the players accountable too, they are major leaguers. Though I never made it to their level, I was always held accountable. Somewhere that got lost.

krazy2k

Veteran
Reaction score
If you're blue, and you don't know where to go to
Why don't you go where DBacks baseball sits?
Puttin' on the Stinkz
Different pitchers who can't pitch
Fastballs, cutters, sliders, curves, perfect batting practice
Puttin' on the Stinkz

Astros have put up 19 runs in the first two games of the series. DBacks have scored a measly 5. Without the stinkers by Rodriguez and Floro in the 4th and 6th innings, DBacks would have had this game in hand. September is no time to take your foot off the gas, no matter how "worn out" one may be. Verlander tomorrow for the Astros sweep during prime time Sunday Night Baseball. Let's hope the DBacks don't embarrass themselves for a third straight game in this three game series.

82CardsGrad

7 x 70
Reaction score
Most runs scored in MLB? With all the injuries. Sounds like good coaching to me. I blame the players for not performing. They are in the majors for a reason, to perform at that level. Where is the player accountability? Hitters suck, coaches fault. Starters suck, coaches fault. Reliever suck, coaches fault. I hold the players accountable too, they are major leaguers. Though I never made it to their level, I was always held accountable. Somewhere that got lost.
Don’t disagree at all. I have no doubt that the players want to perform well. And they receive the coaching and training well.
But…there are a minority of MLB players who are able to consistently perform when it matters most.
This team was the hottest team in baseball in July & August. Players were performing…particularly the plethora of bench players forced into action due to all the injuries.

Last season players performed all the way to the World Series.

Just because a guy makes it to the bigs doesn’t mean he will consistently perform when it matters… Most don’t.

krazy2k

Veteran
Reaction score
Wonder what the DBacks record on ESPN Sunday Night Baseball is all time? My gut tells me it is not very good. Although I hate it, it will likely be a Houston sweep tonight. DBacks are folding up the tent and hope to limp into the playoffs. Bad strategy, Hazen and Lovullo.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sparky