BJ Ojulari tears ACL in practice

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
If this defense is atrocious, I really hope people don’t blame injuries when the team decided to basically bring back the same pass rushing unit while sitting on 35 million bucks of cap space.
Fair is fair.

Darius Robinson has to be a force immediately for this defense to even be respectable.

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
Arguably the most important position on a defense, and we completely passed on it in FA and the draft. Ridiculous, as it makes it harder to judge the rest of the D when we'll have to send 5+ to get any pressure, or just let teams pick us apart.
The draft wasn't much of an option unless they leveraged other picks to trade up for a relatively iffy crop of edge players compared to most drafts.

The guy to probably get was Danielle Hunter but he's also older.

Goldfield

Formally known as BEERZ
Reaction score
Arguably the most important position on a defense, and we completely passed on it in FA and the draft. Ridiculous, as it makes it harder to judge the rest of the D when we'll have to send 5+ to get any pressure, or just let teams pick us apart.
I’m upset about BJ, but we didn’t pass in the draft. We took edge players in both drafts.

ASUCHRIS

ONE HEART BEAT!!!
Reaction score
I have seen worse than that a LOT in the NFL. It's not so easy.
My dude, 51 players had at least 7 sacks last year.

If you don't have a top 51 edge rusher, you're doing it wrong.

I hate when fans go, that guys sucks, he only had 6 sacks and 20 pressures. Like anyone of us could do that. LOL!
This is one of the silliest positions Yuma...the ASFN standard has nothing to do with NFL quality.

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
More than the one in the last six weeks we had as a team last season? Depending on timing in a game, a guy with 6 sacks for a season can impact in a few wins.
You mean the games when Beej was playing the most last year?
I would have hoped for 7-9 sacks and about 15-20 pressures….

Crazy expectation based on all available evidence. A 2:1 pressure to sack ratio is otherworldly. TJ Watt had 19 sacks on 50 pressures. Will Anderson had 7 sacks on 32 pressures. Khalil Mack had 17 sacks on 37 pressures. (All per PFR)

Last edited:

ASUCHRIS

ONE HEART BEAT!!!
Reaction score
I’m upset about BJ, but we didn’t pass in the draft. We took edge players in both drafts.
A 5th rounder in 24 counts now as trying to address the position? Robinson ain't an edge rusher, and the Cards don't plan on utilizing him as such.

Goldfield

Formally known as BEERZ
Reaction score
A 5th rounder in 24 counts now as trying to address the position? Robinson ain't an edge rusher, and the Cards don't plan on utilizing him as such.

It isn’t passing on the position. Our first round pick is also an attempt to improve pass rush right?

PACardsFan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Monti was hired to create sustained success, something the Bidwill family has NEVER created. And you’re never going to see that if you spend the stupid money that was out there in FA this year. Fact is, MO is going to build this team through the draft, and there wasn’t enough talent at the Edge position this past draft. Losing Ojulari hurts, but I’m sure MO has a backup plan.

ASUCHRIS

ONE HEART BEAT!!!
Reaction score
It isn’t passing on the position. Our first round pick is also an attempt to improve pass rush right?
We're very specifically talking about edge rushers here and throughout, so no, adding Robinson doesn't do much for the edge group. Robinson is slated to play DL. If you think adding a 5th rounder and that's it is making any attempt to address the positionaal weakness, I don't know what to tell you.

Even prior to losing Ojulari, we had one of the worst edge rooms in the NFL. Now with BJ being basically a bust (injured first two years, total question mark moving forward), we're desperately in need of a credible edge rusher and sitting on 35m. Not great!

ASUCHRIS

ONE HEART BEAT!!!
Reaction score
but I’m sure MO has a backup plan.
Based on what exactly? Are you just going to ignore FA and trades as an avenue for adding talent? That route at edge has proven to be a total failure - you've added BJ who can't stay on the field, and nothing else of value. Sometimes you have to pay up or give draft picks to fill premium positions! (See Jones, Chandler)

FB94

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Just like WR was the glaring need this past draft, we are in captain obvious territory heading into 2025 draft with our first pick being a pass rusher. Wouldn’t be shocked if we draft two.

PACardsFan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Based on what exactly? Are you just going to ignore FA and trades as an avenue for adding talent? That route at edge has proven to be a total failure - you've added BJ who can't stay on the field, and nothing else of value. Sometimes you have to pay up or give draft picks to fill premium positions! (See Jones, Chandler)
You obviously don’t follow the goals of this team. When you have failed to EVER create sustained success in like 80 years of ownership, you DO NOT over spend in FA, especially in the first few years of your plan. Whether you like it or not, the early years of MO will be DRAFT DRIVEN. For the time being, Keim time trades are OVER. That’s a fact. The Chandler Jones trade was a great one at the time. It did contribute to us getting to an NFC Championship game, but we lost by like 7 touchdowns, so did it really matter??? MO has a plan. It may take another 2 years to come to fruition. If you don’t have that patience, you can always follow the Chiefs for a couple more years.

FB94

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
We need to have a couple of current edge rushers have career years and get us through to really addressing this position next year. Don’t care if it’s by committee either

PACardsFan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
We need to have a couple of current edge rushers have career years and get us through to really addressing this position next year. Don’t care if it’s by committee either
Yep. Simple and true! Bidwill & MO are not going to break away from their goal of sustained success. Michael is tired of starting from scratch ever 4 years.

PACardsFan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
The old 4 year plan - great if you can talk an owner into it! Completely impractical in a year to year league.
Bidwills have owned this team for 75 years & are tired of starting from scratch every 4 years. Year to year league? Shanahan won 6 games in year 1, then 2 games in year 2. But, they accomplished their goal of getting rid of those players that didn’t fit their new culture. In year 3, they went 13-3 & went to the SB. During those first 2 seasons, the Niners didn’t spend much in FA & built directly through the draft. That’s the path the Cardinals are trying to follow.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dbacks05