Boris

dodie53

A. O. II
Reaction score
shaq will always be near the rim,
amare can polish his jump shooting skills to compliment Boris
(that means no practicing defense again)

Treesquid PhD

Pardon my Engrish
Reaction score
shaq will always be near the rim,
amare can polish his jump shooting skills to compliment Boris
(that means no practicing defense again)

Amare's jumper is pretty polished already.

and...If any of you seriously think the Suns are going to be able to run their offense through Boris Diaw (which is the only way he was effective against the Spurs) you are in for a year of disapointment.

devilalum

Heavily Redacted
Reaction score
In the Spurs series it seemed to me like Amare sputtered when the offense went through Diaw.

For some reason Amare and Diaw cancel each other out.

My favorite team of the MD era was the year Amare was out. Diaw played great on that team and there wasn't a single "me player" on the roster. I used to love that little lob Diaw would toss to Marion. If Diaw gets traded to a team like that he'll put up 16/8/8.

cly2tw

Reaction score
In the Spurs series it seemed to me like Amare sputtered when the offense went through Diaw

My favorite team of the MD era was the year Amare was out. Diaw played great on that team and there wasn't a single "me player" on the roster. I used to love that little lob Diaw would toss to Marion. If Diaw gets traded to a team like that he'll put up 16/8/8.

Agree. Maybe it's just DA couldn't find a way to have them both play effectively in the same lineup. Maybe it's just not working no matter.

Diaw would be an incredible offensive asset on a team like the 76er which doesn't have a postup threat. GS, Mavs, Raptors could actually all use his talent. Hopefully, we could sell him high right now.

Diaw+LB for Iguadala + Evans?

Haren

Veteran
Reaction score
Diaw+LB for Iguadala + Evans?
As much as I'd like to see this happen, I don't think Philadelphia would even consider it. Iguodala is the one player that team would like to build around, so I can't imagine them wanting to make this trade.

cly2tw

Reaction score
As much as I'd like to see this happen, I don't think Philadelphia would even consider it. Iguodala is the one player that team would like to build around, so I can't imagine them wanting to make this trade.

Iggy is a restricted FA and maybe too expensive for Philly to keep given they have promising young players for the same position in Carny and Young. Iggy is not a franchise player that they must keep by any means. We'll see.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Iggy is a restricted FA and maybe too expensive for Philly to keep given they have promising young players for the same position in Carny and Young.

uh, do you not forget that Boris has a horrible contract paying him 9 million dollars a year? I'd say that's probably too expensive for Philly to get back.

cly2tw

Reaction score
uh, do you not forget that Boris has a horrible contract paying him 9 million dollars a year? I'd say that's probably too expensive for Philly to get back.

Didn't we just showcase Diaw in the playoffs to prove his worth if used and motivated properly?;)

dodie53

A. O. II
Reaction score
why not re-create the team the year Diaw became MIP (05-06) but with better supporting cast like?

this means trading Amare,
and bringing Shaq off the bench.

SirStefan32

Krycek, Alex Krycek
Reaction score
why not re-create the team the year Diaw became MIP (05-06) but with better supporting cast like?

I wouldn't rely on Diaw as the centerpiece of the team just yet.

Bufalay

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score

Marion's gone.

Covert Rain

Father smelt of elderberries!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I think that's it's clear that if Boris becomes the focal point of the offense that is when he shines. When Boris is playing off ball he completely disappears. He is not Marion like where he can get 20 on any given night without plays running to him. He has to have the ball.

That strategy didn't help us get by the Spurs. If we are going to get another big piece here more then likely Boris and/or Barbosa will have to be dealt. I just don't see the Suns continuing to run everything through Boris to make him more effective.

SirStefan32

Krycek, Alex Krycek
Reaction score
I think that's it's clear that if Boris becomes the focal point of the offense that is when he shines. When Boris is playing off ball he completely disappears. He is not Marion like where he can get 20 on any given night without plays running to him. He has to have the ball.

That strategy didn't help us get by the Spurs. If we are going to get another big piece here more then likely Boris and/or Barbosa will have to be dealt. I just don't see the Suns continuing to run everything through Boris to make him more effective.

In his defense, we are 1-1 against the Spurs when he's running the show, without any practice whatsoever...

cly2tw

Reaction score
In his defense, we are 1-1 against the Spurs when he's running the show, without any practice whatsoever...

The problem is, to beat the Spurs we needed a complete set of set plays away from Nash dribbling into turnovers, which was already displayed by last year's defeat. With Shaq trade, we wasted 10 games playing him High post to maintain Nash dribble as the main weapon. And we should have worked on all those postup sets with Diaw, Amare and Shaq to prepare for the playoffs. Yet, Nash dribble offense was too easy scoring opportunities in the regular season!

Joe Mama

Supporting Member
Reaction score
In the Spurs series it seemed to me like Amare sputtered when the offense went through Diaw.

Amare Stoudemire didn't sputter as much as he sulked when the ball was going down to Diaw. The problem was not the sudden change in offensive philosophy. That's just nonsense and excuse making by Steve Nash. Steve Nash was being well defended by Bowen and Parker for long stretches through the entire series. The offense struggled when Steve Nash was running around with the ball. It had nothing to do with giving the ball to Diaw. The truth is that if they had not started throwing the ball down to Diaw like they did come on the Phoenix Suns would have been out of that game. They should have gone to it more during the regular season because they would have won more games. It's not something that should have thrown the rest of the team off like Amare and Nash suggested after the loss.

Reason Amare Stoudemire was critical after the end of the series is that he is a big baby who does not like it when the ball is not going through him. I'm tired of Amare Stoudemire. I'm convinced that's the only way you will ever become a top all-around player as if the Phoenix Suns can somehow bring in a coach who just commands his respect. He is a one trick pony, and every time he opens his mouth about how hard he works and how he wants to be the greatest player ever I just want to throw up. I can't believe so many people still buy this crap. I know for a fact he irritates hell out of the coaching staff and most of his teammates.

Despite my problems with Amare Stoudemire, at this point I don't believe there's any way you can trade him. I just don't see any package of players they could get in return that makes sense.

The Phoenix Suns could use Boris almost every night like they did in the last couple games of this year's playoffs. He has the size and skills to abuse just about any 3 and a lot of the 4's in the post. If they double team him, his passing skills are good enough to pick the defense apart. I've been saying this for the last two years. Hell, the majority of the guys who could guard him effectively in the post would not be able to guard him off the dribble if he would just get over his fear of contact.

Of course the problem with all of this is that Amare Stoudemire would be whining like a little girl if they did go to Diaw in the post more than a few times when Amare was in the game.

I don't know what this team is going to do next year. I don't think the window is closed, but it's getting close. I wouldn't be surprised if they won the championship next year. I wouldn't be surprised if they miss the playoffs. There's very little wiggle room in the Western Conference, and the competition is probably only going to get stronger. The only thing I am certain about is that if the Phoenix Suns sell their first-round draft pick this year I'm going to knock down Sarver with my wheelchair and smash his head like a grape.

I apologize for the rambling.

Joe

nowagimp

Reaction score
Amare Stoudemire didn't sputter as much as he sulked when the ball was going down to Diaw. The problem was not the sudden change in offensive philosophy. That's just nonsense and excuse making by Steve Nash. Steve Nash was being well defended by Bowen and Parker for long stretches through the entire series. The offense struggled when Steve Nash was running around with the ball. It had nothing to do with giving the ball to Diaw. The truth is that if they had not started throwing the ball down to Diaw like they did come on the Phoenix Suns would have been out of that game. They should have gone to it more during the regular season because they would have won more games. It's not something that should have thrown the rest of the team off like Amare and Nash suggested after the loss.

Reason Amare Stoudemire was critical after the end of the series is that he is a big baby who does not like it when the ball is not going through him. I'm tired of Amare Stoudemire. I'm convinced that's the only way you will ever become a top all-around player as if the Phoenix Suns can somehow bring in a coach who just commands his respect. He is a one trick pony, and every time he opens his mouth about how hard he works and how he wants to be the greatest player ever I just want to throw up. I can't believe so many people still buy this crap. I know for a fact he irritates hell out of the coaching staff and most of his teammates.

Despite my problems with Amare Stoudemire, at this point I don't believe there's any way you can trade him. I just don't see any package of players they could get in return that makes sense.

The Phoenix Suns could use Boris almost every night like they did in the last couple games of this year's playoffs. He has the size and skills to abuse just about any 3 and a lot of the 4's in the post. If they double team him, his passing skills are good enough to pick the defense apart. I've been saying this for the last two years. Hell, the majority of the guys who could guard him effectively in the post would not be able to guard him off the dribble if he would just get over his fear of contact.

Of course the problem with all of this is that Amare Stoudemire would be whining like a little girl if they did go to Diaw in the post more than a few times when Amare was in the game.

I don't know what this team is going to do next year. I don't think the window is closed, but it's getting close. I wouldn't be surprised if they won the championship next year. I wouldn't be surprised if they miss the playoffs. There's very little wiggle room in the Western Conference, and the competition is probably only going to get stronger. The only thing I am certain about is that if the Phoenix Suns sell their first-round draft pick this year I'm going to knock down Sarver with my wheelchair and smash his head like a grape.

Joe

Wow, I've been coming to the same conclusions, I wouldnt add one thing to that post. To some extent, it all hinges on amare, his fragile ego, and his work ethic on deffense. And for the coach(whomever it is) to use Diaw to run the offense for stretches of the game. Diaw is either too fast off the dribble or too strong for almost any matchup he sees. But as you say Joe, he must learn to use his body down low against the bigger players to draw fouls.

Treesquid PhD

Pardon my Engrish
Reaction score
you guys keep on believing and making excuses for Diaw, he has 2 good games against and old washed up player and now we need to run the offense through him.

So the Joe Mama dream is for Amare to concentrate on defense and run the offense through Diaw, that's a 45 win team IMO.

That's pretty much the truth of it, people hate Amare because he isn't filling their wet dreams of a Ben Wallace role. It's clearly evident in all the anti Amare posts.

SirStefan32

Krycek, Alex Krycek
Reaction score

Joe

:yeahthat:

Joe Mama

Supporting Member
Reaction score
The problem is, to beat the Spurs we needed a complete set of set plays away from Nash dribbling into turnovers, which was already displayed by last year's defeat. With Shaq trade, we wasted 10 games playing him High post to maintain Nash dribble as the main weapon. And we should have worked on all those postup sets with Diaw, Amare and Shaq to prepare for the playoffs. Yet, Nash dribble offense was too easy scoring opportunities in the regular season!

you guys keep on believing and making excuses for Diaw, he has 2 good games against and old washed up player and now we need to run the offense through him.

So the Joe Mama dream is for Amare to concentrate on defense and run the offense through Diaw, that's a 45 win team IMO.

oh come on now. You make it sound like I'm asking that Boris be the primary focus of the offense. I didn't say that at all. I said he has a defensive mismatch that the Phoenix Suns coaching staff should recognize, and they should take advantage of it more often than they do. I mean honestly, even if they just gave the ball to Diaw in the post (high or low) a few times per game when Amare Stoudemire was out of the game I would be happy. Even if they just gave the ball to him a few times per game when he has the mismatch in the low post I would be happy. Diaw as great moves down low, and those mismatches are not just there against the older San Antonio Spurs.

You guys who would love to trade Diaw should be advocating this. It would make him much, much more tradable. The fact is that the offense the way it's been run the last two years since Amare Stoudemire return has wasted Diaw's skills. Please realize I'm not saying Boris Diaw is blameless here. clearly he's been lazy. As I said before, he needs to stop being such a sissy when the contact is coming. I'm all for him passing out of double teams and situations where he is being well guarded. He needs to play like he did in those two games last week. The coaches need to tell him he's going to get that chance on a regular basis.

That's pretty much the truth of it, people hate Amare because he isn't filling their wet dreams of a Ben Wallace role. It's clearly evident in all the anti Amare posts.

I love how being critical of Amare Stoudemire equates to hating him. I think he is an amazing offensive player. Never would I deny that. I would love for him to play defense like Wallace (the Wallace of a few years ago). However my problem with Amare Stoudemire has nothing to do with such lofty expectations, and it's ridiculous of you to imply it is. I would be completely satisfied if he was just an average defender and rebounder. Tease about his bad defensively as Steve Nash, but unlike Steve Nash it doesn't have to do with his physical limitations. He is lazy and stupid (perhaps ignorant is a better word) about the way he defends and rebounds. The guy talks a huge game, and everybody eats it up, but it doesn't translate onto the court.

Joe