Cardinals at Commanders gameday thread 9-10-23

THESMEL

Smushdown! Take it like a fan!
Reaction score
We had a good chance until the turnover And penalties Late. Better than most expected, was very winnable with a buck 30 qb.
I don’t know if tune would have done any better, but may have more upside, best to protect him with Dobbs if he does.
Washington has pretty good defense, we still had a chance at the end, plop plop fizz fizz

RON_IN_OC

https://www.ronevansrealty.com
Reaction score
We win if we keep Deandre Hopkins.

We win comfortably if Monti signs Dobbs months ago.

Tough to judge Petzing.......so far.
Agree with point 2, but not necessarily with point 1. Dudes were open today, Dobbs just didn't, or couldn't, see them for some reason.

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
We win if we keep Deandre Hopkins.

We win comfortably if Monti signs Dobbs months ago.

Tough to judge Petzing.......so far.
Oohh... Not so sure about this. The only offense we really generated were a series of trick plays. It's hard to say that if Dobbs has more familiarity with, like, Rondale Moore the offense is good enough to win "comfortably."

Zeem_Freeze

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
It will be interesting to see Kyler is this offense. Will he be patient and take a smaller role?
This is the interesting conversation. It is clear that this new offense relegates the QB to more of a game manager role vs the previous regime.

Run heavy (as you noted) and wow is that play action pass refreshing.

I think Kyler will be happy in this offense. Play action bootlegs will REALLY open up space for his legs or deep passes.

Last edited:

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
Not sure honestly... Maybe to provide context for other die hards that can't see the forest for the trees.

I like this website for conversation around the Cardinals. Dobbs not performing well after arriving 13 days ago is not news and should be no surprise.

Pretending that Petzing thought Dobbs was Jesus and Mohammed combined is off base.
I was asking because you said it was pointless drivel to engage in it but you were engaging.

No one has pretended that Dobbs is anything more than a NFL scrub other than those who defended the trade for Dobbs.

oaken1

Stone Cold
Supporting Member
Banned from P+R
Reaction score
Even the process that leads you to believing that Dobbs is a better option than Blough or Driscoll is probably deeply flawed.

There's literally no defensible argument after watching him play for giving up assets for Josh Dobbs outside of knee-jerk apologism.
My process..... [<well, petzing coached him before so he must have seen things I don't see in Dobbs>].....

Kyler ain't under center....so since we weren't going out and Getting a Mayfield or Darnold,...or a solid fringe starter/solid backup like a Bridgewater....it don't really matter...at best whoever it is wins a couple meaningless games and at worst they help our draft position.

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
Pretending that Petzing thought Dobbs was Jesus and Mohammed combined is off base.

Literally no one said this. The only thing that's obvious is that Petzing thought Dobbs was better than McCoy, Tune, Blough, and Driscoll. There's little evidence of this -- much less a compelling case to give up draft assets for him.

It is clear that this new offense relegates the QB to more of a game manager role vs the previous regime.

I don't think that's clear. I don't hold Petzing in high regard right now, but even I hold him in higher regard than to think he would centerpiece Josh Dobbs. He couldn't be a game manager, much less more.

I do think the Cards offense with Kyler will ask him to do less than Kliff did, but I'm guessing it's going to ask him to read only half the field, make more defined reads, and hand the ball off more often.

RON_IN_OC

https://www.ronevansrealty.com
Reaction score
This is the interesting conversation. It is clear that this new offense relegates the QB to more of a game manager role vs the previous regime.

Run heavy (as you noted) and Great Daned is that play action pass refreshing.

I think Kyler will be happy in this offense. Play action bootlegs will REALLY open up space for his legs or deep passes.
This is along the lines of what Sean Peyton said was needed.. maybe not this drastic, but he flat out said Murray needs an offense where he doesn't have to be Superman and can be confident handing the ball off and letting someone else make plays.

speedy

the medic
Reaction score
My thoughts on today.

1) Keim is probably not nearly as bad as some of you fantasy league GMs have claimed.

2) ownership has always been the problem IMO.

3) Gannon is a goof (and last choice), but I did appreciate some of the late hits the defense took today (for the love of god, act like you give a F)

4) offense ran like like the play sheet was was drawn from the bottom of a Cracker Jack box. FFS

5) 2) ownership has always been the problem IMO

6) FFS

7) I hit my 20 on this board next year. Some of you I’ve met in person, some I haven’t, but for seemingly MANY of you Bidwill Bootlickers- stop wasting your sundays.

8) 2) ownership has always been the problem IMO

9) it was nice to see effort out there today

10) the effort I saw out there today has motivated me to buy season tickets to my local HS football team. I may even drop a donation Benjamin in the bucket, so long as a nice looking booster mom is throwing me an eye…

I know this “organization” is “rebuilding,” but I’m over it. The Bidwill family should ride on.

Mikey- the prosecutor, the pilot, the nfl franchise owner, the civic leader… can’t help but think of Francis from pee wee’s big adventure…. JG will be gone in 3-4 years… he should wear a grey suit, red bow tie, actually drown Francis is the swimming pool bathtub this time, and ride off on his bike.

Sorry guys- I’m terribly sick of this ish.

I do appreciate the D tho

nashman

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
“Monti is going to build through the draft”

Same people

“5th round picks don’t matter and it is ok if Monti wastes them”
Hardly the same thing Keim failed for years! Monti appears to have done well with what he was handed so far and gained draft capital to use in the future. He was handed a poo sandwich how about we give him a little time to right the crap team he was handed!

Zeem_Freeze

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
This is along the lines of what Sean Peyton said was needed.. maybe not this drastic, but he flat out said Murray needs an offense where he doesn't have to be Superman and can be confident handing the ball off and letting someone else make plays.
yeah it will not be as drastic of "game manager" once Kyler returns

the kid gloves were on today for Dobbs but even then, if you look at the Browns offense from the last few years it is clear this will be more run heavy.

A spread offense puts a lot of pressure on the QB but in college when you have great disparity in athleticism can pay great dividends. It is a highly leveraged scenario and the Cardinals new offense improves the importance of the other 10 players on offense.

oaken1

Stone Cold
Supporting Member
Banned from P+R
Reaction score
Literally no one said this. The only thing that's obvious is that Petzing thought Dobbs was better than McCoy, Tune, Blough, and Driscoll. There's little evidence of this -- much less a compelling case to give up draft assets for him.

I don't think that's clear. I don't hold Petzing in high regard right now, but even I hold him in higher regard than to think he would centerpiece Josh Dobbs. He couldn't be a game manager, much less more.

I do think the Cards offense with Kyler will ask him to do less than Kliff did, but I'm guessing it's going to ask him to read only half the field, make more defined reads, and hand the ball off more often.
Agree. No way petzing expects Dobbs to run the exact same offense as kyler. Kyler, even sans acl is athletically on a different level than dobbs...same for his passing ability. Kyler can make throws running sideways with a linebacker in his face that Dobbs can't make on an empty field.

speedy

the medic
Reaction score
Hardly the same thing Keim failed for years! Monti appears to have done well with what he was handed so far and gained draft capital to use in the future. He was handed a poo sandwich how about we give him a little time to right the crap team he was handed!
Homie- BIDWILLS have failed for years.

Zeem_Freeze

Hall of Famer
Reaction score

There is plenty of evidence that many other QBs were a better option than McCoy...

Did you catch the reporting out of the shared practices in Minnesota that it was clear that McCoy's arm was toast?

The guy was walking around the next week telling reporters that he had a good time in AZ and enjoyed getting to know them. If McCoy thought he was a dead man walking, what evidence is pointing to him being alive?

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I missed the 2nd half, but it sounds like the two fumbles lost by Dobbs were a huge part of their undoing.

Still, I enjoyed the 1st half and was impressed by the aggressiveness of the Cardinals defense.

Gannon had the team playing hard. I liked that part.

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
There is plenty of evidence that many other QBs were a better option than McCoy...

Did you catch the reporting out of the shared practices in Minnesota that it was clear that McCoy's arm was toast?

The guy was walking around the next week telling reporters that he had a good time in AZ and enjoyed getting to know them. If McCoy thought he was a dead man walking, what evidence is pointing to him being alive?
Cool. What about the other three?

football karma

Michael snuggles the cap space
Reaction score
when you get your starting QB two weeks before the season starts for a draft pick trade down from the 5th round to the 7th --

this is what you get.

there might be some upside in the next few weeks as Dobbs becomes better acquainted with the system / team - but it will be marginal

while the roster isnt very good -- i feel like a healthy Kyler at QB and they win by 21 points today

nashman

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Homie- BIDWILLS have failed for years.
That’s never gonna change it’s their family business so why complain about thing a that aren’t gonna change! It appears Monti and JG have been given the reins let’s give them time. Keim was a joke and did what exactly in his tenure? Failed draft pick after failed draft pick! KK should have never been hired another great decision by the clown GM trying to outsmart the league lol. Maybe you should calm down and realize they are building from a bad situation they were dealt by the former regime and it will take more than a single game lol…

ajcardfan

I see you.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have said a couple of times since the trade I would've rather kept the pick and started Blough. It's not a crazy idea, I swear.

Blough has better career numbers (not very good) and was learning the offense all off-season. He has started more games in his career. They didn't go out and get Dobbs as a cast off starter. They already had two... Blough and McCoy. They intend for Dobbs to be a real possibility long term as number 2. Which, is their prerogative.

Tacticool Nerd

Veteran
Reaction score
Simple fact is if Dobbs didn't fumble twice. We win this game.

But on the bright side while the Cardinals did lose they'll at least they'll be fun to watch.

And... We keep that high draft position... Right? :)

OP
OP
BullheadCardFan

BullheadCardFan

Go for it
Supporting Member
Reaction score
So they are going to shorten the field for him?

Make it easier to read the defense?

I can see the more handoffs and play action off of them

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dbacks05