Cardinals at Commanders gameday thread 9-10-23

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Gannon must have been more comfortable with Dobbs than Blough or Tune. It's the only thing I can figure.

Also, I thought Dobbs might be more mobile which would prepare the team for Murray's style of play when he returns. I didn't see any of this today.

Perhaps the short window to prepare a quarterback was the reason he traded for a more familiar commodity in Dobbs.

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
The jokes on anyone that thinks a 5th rounder matters much, especially one that was conjured from players traded who had no future here.

Wait -- why does the origin of the pick matter at all?

At the very least, a fifth-round pick gets you 3-4 years of a roster spot with cost control. It's a cheap depth and special teams opportunity.

We converted that asset into the 45th best quarterback in the NFL on a one-year deal. A guy who was easily outplayed by the Washington QB.

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
ASFN: 5th rounders don't mean anything

Also ASFN: We can't throw Tune to the wolves
I think this sentiment is that Tune does show some traits and QBs have been ruined in the past by playing too soon.

If you are betting on any 5th rounder playing more than 3 years in the NFL, you're losing a lot of money.

BirdGangThing

Casual Fan
Reaction score
I think this sentiment is that Tune does show some traits and QBs have been ruined in the past by playing too soon.

If you are betting on any 5th rounder playing more than 3 years in the NFL, you're losing a lot of money.
Tune played a lot of games in college, like a lot of games, we're talking 47 games, and it didn't ruin him. He's shown us a decent arm. He's showed us mobility. He's shown us resiliency and durability. The game isn't to big for him, he doesn't get shook. Only thing he needs now is playing time imo

I've said it before and I'll say it again, Tune will be better statistically than Dobbs. And with Dobbs' absolutely stunning debut of 4.4 ypc (not a typo)... smart money's on the hippie

Garthshort

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
I know it’s only the first half of the first game but Petzing needs to dial it up a bit.

As I type that I guess he’s limited by the personnel we currently have so… I guess it is what it is.
Is the weather a factor?
All 5 new head coaches lost today.
I knew we should have kept Kliff.

Card'em

All Star
Reaction score
Way top many negative yardage plays. These are drive killers and hard to overcome for any offense, much less a mediocre to bad backup QB. Hopefully, Petzing will get some of this straightened out. This was his first game as a offensive coordinator and playcaller, along with a QB who has only been on the team for 2 weeks, so we can hope for improvement. No where to go but up.

JosiahLee

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Defense played MUCH better than expected. They were swarming to the ball - scheme seemed solid.

Dobbs is Dobbs.

I am still questioning the Drew Petzing hire and asking for Dobbs doesn't help.
Yes this game is a huge indictment against Petzing. Shows his lack of experience by thinking that surrendering a 5th rd pick for Dobbs was a smart move.

JosiahLee

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Gannon must have been more comfortable with Dobbs than Blough or Tune. It's the only thing I can figure.

Also, I thought Dobbs might be more mobile which would prepare the team for Murray's style of play when he returns. I didn't see any of this today.

Perhaps the short window to prepare a quarterback was the reason he traded for a more familiar commodity in Dobbs.
I’m convinced a login wins this game. At this point he seems like he should even be above Tune on the depth chart.

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
The jokes on anyone that thinks a 5th rounder matters much, especially one that was conjured from players traded who had no future here.
If your plan is to build through the draft, 5th round picks matter. Throwing them away for a scrub QB is ill advised.

I don’t disagree that trading a 5th for a decent NFL player who is under contract for multiple years can be good. This wasn’t that.

SoonerLou

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
If your plan is to build through the draft, 5th round picks matter. Throwing them away for a scrub QB is ill advised.

I don’t disagree that trading a 5th for a decent NFL player who is under contract for multiple years can be good. This wasn’t that.
Its a bad move, bad strategy by Monti. He was doing great until letting go of Hopkins imo.

I say that because Im not sure you can properly evaluate Kyler or Petzing with these wrs.

RON_IN_OC

https://www.ronevansrealty.com
Reaction score
Its a bad move, bad strategy by Monti. He was doing great until letting go of Hopkins imo.

I say that because Im not sure you can properly evaluate Kyler or Petzing with these wrs.
Do you truly think Monti had a choice with DHop? Search your soul....he couldn't keep him. Hop wanted out. We can debate the timing and method and lack of return, but I don't think Monti really had a choice in keeping or getting rid of Hopkins.

FB94

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Not going to throw dirt on Dobbs yet, although the hole is dug. Yes he didn’t look good and came into the situation at a ridiculous time. Week 2 will be another tryout for him.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dbacks05